acraigl

quality posts: 43 Private Messages acraigl

This just comes off as disrespectful, from the image to the description. A rarity for Woot, but this should be removed IMHO.

Jesta384

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jesta384
geddygirl wrote:m3wthr33 wrote: Ah, Abe Lincoln. Every time he's on a shirt, the heatmap for the southern states goes dark. Reliable as rain.

What a foolish thing to say.

1. Your comment is not even backed up by the Woot map.

2. Offhand, I don't remember even ONE other "Abe Lincoln" shirt offered on Woot, let alone the SEVERAL you seem to imply when you write, "every time he's on a shirt, the heatmap for the southern states goes dark. Reliable as rain."

3. Judging by the majority of the comments, it seems that most non-purchasers are put off by the write-up, not Mr. Lincoln.

I'm not sure if you were attempting humor or a legitimate insult to people from the south, but either way...

FAIL.

As a northerner....or "yakee"...it was funy as hell.

As an internet addict.... -1 for over use of "fail" . So...fail for you.

AS FOR WOOT. Shame on you. I love your shirts. This shirt though...isnt tasteless so much as just pathetic. An overdriving attempt at ironic humor that sadly misses the mark and finds itself in some poorly described hipster trash tshirt pile?

This shirt "ironically" sucks.

(for all the want to be hispters, the misuse of "ironic" is intended satire.)

crickle1969

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crickle1969

Someone needs to do some better proof reading before posting these. Other than that... the recent shirts have been pretty underwear.

Rudeboy2025

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Rudeboy2025

Spoiler alert:

This is Daniel Day Lewis' real costume in the upcoming film Lincoln, directed by Steven Spielberg.

GTTraveller

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GTTraveller

The write up is horribly offensive on several levels, while the shirt is pretty cool. Think of it, of all our presidents, Abe was the cat in the hat.
A better write up would have sold it out. Instead, we have to think of supporting that garbage.

michaeldeibert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michaeldeibert

I don't see humor mocking maybe the Best leader my country has ever had! Had it been on obamas head I would deem it appropriate!

jpparent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpparent

Instabuy!!! Awesome x 1000

JP

FlamingoNut

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FlamingoNut
acraigl wrote:This just comes off as disrespectful, from the image to the description. A rarity for Woot, but this should be removed IMHO.

Agreed.

sjtseller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjtseller

Wow Woot....brutal color name.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

There sure is a lot of butthurt on display today.
Sure the write-up could have been better, but at the end of the day (literally) who even remembers the write-up?
As for the rest of the "Oh Em Gee! You have desecrated the memory of a great statesman, you insensitive clods! [./]" posters, I scoff at your rigid conventionality.

Now debating on a purchase.....
what would Narfcake do?

move along

mattryan

quality posts: 42 Private Messages mattryan

Wow... The write up is NOT funny and mocking a dead President who redefined America is not even remotely so. Disgusted they would print this, let alone someone would mockingly create this shirt. Is nothing sacred anymore?

GTTraveller

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GTTraveller

Anyone remember the Dead Kennedy's?

Awesome punk band name.....

mattryan

quality posts: 42 Private Messages mattryan
acraigl wrote:This just comes off as disrespectful, from the image to the description. A rarity for Woot, but this should be removed IMHO.

Glad I'm not the only one.

lnjelinek

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lnjelinek

And work just got a little more entertaining... I wonder if i can get away with wearing this under a flight suit...

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge

Mr Lincoln
What have you been Drink'n
Looks like water
Tastes like wine
Oh my good
It's turpentine.

Hey, maybe if you stuck to the black hat you wouldn't have been shot in the head.

What Really Happened To Abe Lincoln
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvkBvzpbBPs&feature=related

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

dpwellman

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dpwellman

Doesn't work for me. Something that tries to be too clever by half.

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

TXAG96

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TXAG96

Hmmm. Red states, blue states...red bowtie and red hat with white stripes. That's the ticket to get some votes!

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

The title, "Historical Inspiration," may be partially true with regard to the Cat in the Hat's hat. Dr. Seuss had a brief career as a political cartoonist for the left-wing New York paper PM during the WWII years of 1941-42. His cartoons slammed the U.S. policy on isolationism (pre-12/7/41), promoted the war bond and scrap metal efforts, and brought to light racism that permeated the homefront (though, oddly enough, condoned the anti-Japanese sentiment of the day).

One of the recurring figures in his cartoons was a large bird in the image of Uncle Sam, complete with starred and striped top hat. As you can see in some of these images, the Seuss style is clearly present, and perhaps the Cat's hat took some cues from its avian predecessor.

For those interested, you can find a compilation of Theodor Seuss Geisel's political cartoons under the title Dr. Seuss Goes to War.

Your mother will not mind at all if you do.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

tljx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tljx

With the NDAA making a joke out of the constitution, I guess we might as well make one of Lincoln as well. In for one.

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

Official shirt of the Occupy Mulberry Street movement.

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

Love the cat in the hat.
Love Lincoln.

Mixing the two seems wrong to me. Too much respect for both.

pfffft!

toppkatt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toppkatt
netzac wrote:Why did Honest Abe steal the cat's hat?

Honestly, he felt a draft on his head.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

Now I would buy this IF it pictured Barack Obama... hehehe...

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?

Fujiko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Fujiko
GTTraveller wrote:Anyone remember the Dead Kennedy's?

Yes. :D

I was on the fence until I read the writeup and the comments about the writeup. In for one.

j5

Abe has obviously been hitting the Cracklin' Oat Flakes

move along

shaunawaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaunawaz
Craigmar wrote:This seems so wrong.

I agree.

j5

GTTraveller wrote:Anyone remember the Dead Kennedy's?

Anyone remember "BBQ Pope" by the BHS?
Awesome punk song.

move along

hmglass

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hmglass
Slaayer6666 wrote:"We call this color: once in the black of the head"

thats just wrong, punny, but wrong :p

Also I must have missed the day in kindergarten when the teacher's told us about all the sexual innuendo in Dr. Suess's writing...

EXACTLY what I came here to say. Such poor taste... hilarious, yes, but no. Very no.

And yeah, Seuss is totally freakalicious, dontchaknow?

UCO

quality posts: 0 Private Messages UCO

The write up is terribly offensive to say the least. I'll have to stop recommending this site to friends. And I will really have to think twice before making another purchase from shirt woot.

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
Prey wrote:This shirt seems disrespectful... I'm not sure one of the greatest US Presidents should be portrayed in this manner... but I'm sure there those who find it cute, most likely the same folks who admire Castro.

My partner points out that "Castro in the Hat" would have been a great pun and probably a better shirt. Get on that, Woot.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady
UCO wrote:The write up is terribly offensive to say the least. I'll have to stop recommending this site to friends. And I will really have to think twice before making another purchase from shirt woot.

Word is that OWS (Occupy Woot Shirt) has hijacked this site... just a few days ago they were offering "grass" (hint, hint, nudge, nudge) on wine.woot... Clearly the endtimes are upon us all...

Phillystyle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Phillystyle

I have to say, I like the shirt but some apparent reference to homosexuality seems to be lost on me. Whatever "the joke" is, can someone in the know please elaborate? Thanks.

Adelas

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas

Not my cup of tea.

kekspernikai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kekspernikai

I find the shirt to be pretty intriguing, but the write-up kills it. "Once in the black of the head?" Seriously? Not that funny, and pretty disrespectful.

I don't see how the shirt is at all related to the description....

lemurtx

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lemurtx
geddygirl wrote:2. Offhand, I don't remember even ONE other "Abe Lincoln" shirt offered on Woot, let alone the SEVERAL you seem to imply when you write, "every time he's on a shirt, the heatmap for the southern states goes dark. Reliable as rain."

Mr. Lincoln, June 2010, map

Only Lincoln shirt I remember, because I bought it. Wear it every President's Day.

Being the good librarian I am, I quickly researched:

Abe-racadabra, June 2009, map

Four S'mores and Seven Weenies ago, May 2011, map

Civic Duty Dance, Jan. 2008, map

Gettysburg Address, Apr. 2008, map
--
With that, I'm ending this search for now.
There are scores more (yeah, I went there) that didn't print.

I'm surprised no other Abe shirt owners have piped up about their shirts.

There, edited with links to the maps. Mississippi doesn't seem too thrilled with ol' Abe.

/hey, Woot, do you need a researcher/librarian?

Funshine0810

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Funshine0810
geddygirl wrote:m3wthr33 wrote: Ah, Abe Lincoln. Every time he's on a shirt, the heatmap for the southern states goes dark. Reliable as rain.

What a foolish thing to say.

1. Your comment is not even backed up by the Woot map.

2. Offhand, I don't remember even ONE other "Abe Lincoln" shirt offered on Woot, let alone the SEVERAL you seem to imply when you write, "every time he's on a shirt, the heatmap for the southern states goes dark. Reliable as rain."

3. Judging by the majority of the comments, it seems that most non-purchasers are put off by the write-up, not Mr. Lincoln.

I'm not sure if you were attempting humor or a legitimate insult to people from the south, but either way...

FAIL.

There have been two previous Lincoln shirts that I can recall.
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3993049
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2139613

Raywind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raywind

The shirt itself is amusing, but the write-up does fall pretty heavily into the 'bad taste' category.

Which, y'know, isn't always /bad/, but it just doesn't work for me in this case.

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
zekecatz wrote:The Republicans were once the party of Lincoln; now they're the party of people in silly hats.

Too often too true

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
lemurtx wrote:Mr. Lincoln, June 2010, map
Only Lincoln shirt I remember, because I bought it. Wear it every President's Day.

Being the good librarian I am, I quickly researched:

Abe-racadabra, June 2009, map

Four S'mores and Seven Weenies ago, May 2011, map

Civic Duty Dance, Jan. 2008, map

Gettysburg Address, Apr. 2008, map
--
With that, I'm ending this search for now.
There are scores more (yeah, I went there) that didn't print.

I'm surprised no other Abe shirt owners have piped up about their shirts.

There, edited with links to the maps. Mississippi doesn't seem too thrilled with ol' Abe.

/hey, Woot, do you need a researcher/librarian?

Wow I'm impressed,if I had a say I'd hire you.