j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
cdrewlow wrote:It looks like things have been dropping off since Christmas. I appreciate the work you put into it, but it seems to me that without numbers from Jan. and Feb. of previous years, it's hard to say if this is price induced or just a normal winter trend.
(by the way, what 3rd, 4th, and 5th order polynomial curves?)

Yes, you are correct, we can't really say for sure what effect the price increase has even with last year's numbers since there are too many variables. I made the chart for my own curiosity to see if there was an identifiable trend.
The blue lines with dots in the graph are actual sales numbers. The Green line is 3rd order polynomial trend approximation, the red is 5th and the cyan is 4th (which is probably closest to the real trend)

move along

dmc6127

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmc6127

I guess I have enought t-shirts. I liked the $10, $12, well probably will pass. I allocated a whole drawer to the $10 ones. My drawer is full!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Someone just validated his geek cred.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

dgriff80

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dgriff80

Im ok with the price hike but can we have more options such as V-Necks and sweatshirts (atleast for inly first-day sales)?

cake eater

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cake eater

as long as we are dreaming and asking stupid questions... i would like the option of purchasing a golf shirt with a collar and front left breats pocket. id go maybe 25 for those. cmon woot i know you can do this.

forum option changes may take a few minutes. just relax

ljwilke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ljwilke
dgriff80 wrote:Im ok with the price hike but can we have more options such as V-Necks and sweatshirts (atleast for inly first-day sales)?

positive that if those were to be offered it would only be in the special sales like the long-sleeves and hoodies are.

spmeigh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spmeigh

I'm out! It has been real, it has been fun but now its not real fun. A buyer of your magnitude should surely be able to negotiate the same great product at a cheaper price?

silverlake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silverlake

No problem! These shirts are well worth $12 a piece. Keep them coming; I get more comments when I wear WOOT t-shirts!

scarywoody

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scarywoody

I am late to the party..

I have been buying woot shirts since 2007 and was ok with the price jump to $12. I have bought 2 in the last months and I must have missed the memo on the shirt supplier change? The two $12 shirts seem to be of a crappier quality. They are thinner and feel cheaper.

I can handle the price increase, but increasing the price and reducing the shirt quality will prevent any future orders.

Jeff

Narfcake

quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
scarywoody wrote:I can handle the price increase, but increasing the price and reducing the shirt quality will prevent any future orders.

No supplier change - they are still AA shirts.

nyisless13

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nyisless13

I would be fine with the price increase if they stopped collecting tax in a state where they have no business collecting tax (NY). That is Amazon's fault I'm sure, but back when NYS tried to force online retailers to collect tax when they weren't legally obligated to, Newegg basically told them to screw off - not sure why Amazon didn't.

ptiib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ptiib

I would have bought it for 10 bucks!

jayjaynol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayjaynol

A couple of things regarding the price increase.

1. $10.00 was a sweet spot in that it promoted 'what the hell' impuse buys. $12.00 -- not so much. It's a psychological thing I suppose.

2. If the raw material is 'indeed made in the US' well that's a plus and worth paying for. God it's easier then giving your life in a war or something to support the country.

3. Seems you've kept the cost of the 'Reckoning' tees the same. That shows you have thought this through and that's very reasonable.

So all in all a fair if not completely welcome increase. Tough times so $2.00 increase is cool.

We will stand by you. It's a cool and worthy product.

kbarba84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbarba84

I can not believe people are actually angry about this. If you cannot afford a $2 increase you probably should not be spending money on these shirts anyways. It is still a really good deal for unique shirts. I swear people will complain about ANYTHING.

That being said, I would LOVE to see jersey cotton shirts available. You know the really soft ones that lay so much nicer and look way more flattering? I would gladly pay $15-$20 a shirt for that option . GLADLY. I would buy them a lot more often as well.

Any other girls feel like the girl T's are not so flattering as they are now? Especially if you have a very large bust, or are tall. They end up being too short... Jersey would be nice to have as an option as it fits a wider variety of figures.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Just a thought (inspired by woot's wikipedia entry, and forgive me if this has been said already): look at it as a discount reduction rather than a price increase. Over the life of a design, the real price is $15. The first day is a reduction of that.
Just my two (hundred) cents.

brtw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brtw

I forget the kind gentleman who is posting first day sales on the discussion for each shirt, but what is the "woot wage" and why is it $3,700 +/- 50.00 each day at midnight? Is this how much woot spent that day to produce and run the tshirt on the website for that day? I ask because that number, extrapolated, comes to 1,370,000.00$\yr. Even crappy selling shirts like robot hobo made 9,696$ in its first day.

808 shirts, $6,000 in profit for woot, running a poor selling shirt? 2,200,000$/yr profit?

I MUST KNOW WHAT THE WOOT WAGE IS! WHY IS IT POSTED???? WHHYYYYYYYYY?

I am brtw

Mavyn

brtw wrote:I forget the kind gentleman who is posting first day sales on the discussion for each shirt, but what is the "woot wage" and why is it $3,700 +/- 50.00 each day at midnight? Is this how much woot spent that day to produce and run the tshirt on the website for that day? I ask because that number, extrapolated, comes to 1,370,000.00$\yr. Even crappy selling shirts like robot hobo made 9,696$ in its first day.

808 shirts, $6,000 in profit for woot, running a poor selling shirt? 2,200,000$/yr profit?

I MUST KNOW WHAT THE WOOT WAGE IS! WHY IS IT POSTED???? WHHYYYYYYYYY?

From SkekTek in another forum:

Take the number of items being sold, multiply that by the cost of each item, then divide by the number of hours it took to sell out, that's the $/hour rate of selling (woot wage). If something sells out really fast, that number can be very high.

Since tees are for sale multiple days, the number of hours to sell out can be huge (ie, for Nevermore). This formula was originally used in woot.com where items were only available for one day, no reckoning.

brtw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brtw
Mavyn wrote:Since tees are for sale multiple days, the number of hours to sell out can be huge (ie, for Nevermore). This formula was originally used in woot.com where items were only available for one day, no reckoning.

Okay. that's good to know, even if its not related to my post. I was more interested in the fact that every day, I should say that every first day, that the woot wage ends around 3700$. Using your formula, woot prints 7000+ shirts of each, which isn't correct.

I am brtw

Mavyn

brtw wrote:Okay. that's good to know, even if its not related to my post. I was more interested in the fact that every day, I should say that every first day, that the woot wage ends around 3700$. Using your formula, woot prints 7000+ shirts of each, which isn't correct.

They may have modified some aspect of the formula. (6000 * 12)/24 = 3000. So there's another variable in play. Not sure Narkcake is going to know, since I don't think he's tracked Woot wage.

Edit: what time zone are you in? If you're not in the same TZ as woot uses, then your midnight isn't the close, so the devisor at that point is 22, which is closer to what you're saying...Just a thought.

CaptainTr1pps

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CaptainTr1pps
nyisless13 wrote:I would be fine with the price increase if they stopped collecting tax in a state where they have no business collecting tax (NY). That is Amazon's fault I'm sure, but back when NYS tried to force online retailers to collect tax when they weren't legally obligated to, Newegg basically told them to screw off - not sure why Amazon didn't.

Because Newegg doesn't have a distribution center in NYC. Amazon does.

scarywoody

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scarywoody
Narfcake wrote:No supplier change - they are still AA shirts.

Hmmm well the last 2 shirts I ordered were notceably thinner than all my previous woot shirts. They also shrunk more and were more snug than usual. I just figured they changed shirt suppliers because they are way different.

Mister Poe’s Guilt Trip
Underwater Forest

I'm a little reluctant to order more if the quality variation is this noticeable. Like I said I have been ordereing for years and these are the first 2 I have seen like this.

laizurkainon

quality posts: 6 Private Messages laizurkainon

You know, while it's a "20% increase", a static increase of $2 bucks is not all that much. I think it makes a little more sense than raising the price 50 cents a year.

Moreover, the reality of situation is not "Price increase means more fun times vs no Price increase and everything stays the same"

It's "Price increase and maybe we can do more vs no price increase and we probably stop after awhile, oops".

Inflation is a thing, go get a better job.

laizurkainon

quality posts: 6 Private Messages laizurkainon
kbarba84 wrote:I can not believe people are actually angry about this. If you cannot afford a $2 increase you probably should not be spending money on these shirts anyways. It is still a really good deal for unique shirts. I swear people will complain about ANYTHING.

That being said, I would LOVE to see jersey cotton shirts available. You know the really soft ones that lay so much nicer and look way more flattering? I would gladly pay $15-$20 a shirt for that option . GLADLY. I would buy them a lot more often as well.

Any other girls feel like the girl T's are not so flattering as they are now? Especially if you have a very large bust, or are tall. They end up being too short... Jersey would be nice to have as an option as it fits a wider variety of figures.

wouldn't the properties of Jersey completely wreck the printed designs?

kbarba84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbarba84
laizurkainon wrote:wouldn't the properties of Jersey completely wreck the printed designs?

I can't imagine that it would, at least not that much, it is just a much softer cotton that lays a lot looser instead of being sort of stiff and boxy. I have many jersey shirts with that same sort of printing on them. In fact 80% of my tees are jersey, really only the woot shirts I can't resist buying are on the cheaper cotton. AA makes both as well btw, jersey is just a bit more money.

leidout

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leidout

While I used to buy about 2-3 shirts per month, I have bought zero at $12 so far. After reading this thread, I'm pretty sure it's a psychological thing after spending $10 for so long.

kikyokat7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kikyokat7

I'm actually surprised this didn't happen sooner- especially since they offer free shipping. Shipping costs a lot- usually starting at around five dollars for most types of packages. So as long as it's still free shipping, I'll be happy to pay an extra $2!

amaiman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amaiman

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

($10 was pushing it for a low-quality t-shirt [the fabric used recently; not the designs, those are usually awesome], $12 is too much. No credit for shipping costs since SmartPost takes forever and at Amazon's bulk rate costs close to nothing)

ryanworrell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryanworrell

Just my 2cents. $2 more isn't a lot, but it's going to be enough to make me think twice. I love shirt.woot and some of my favorite shirts have come from here, but the quality of these shirts just isn't up to par IMO. All my shirts from shirt.woot tend to get holes in them much faster then any of my other tees, even after just a few washes.

memobug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages memobug

$2 doesnt bother me much - it's less than the price of a latte I would probably just spill on myself anyway. But have you considered moving to a streaming model for woot shirt delivery...and handing the shirt business over to Shirtster.com with Mortimer as CEO?

Regards,

Matt

rogue8402

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rogue8402
memobug wrote:$2 doesnt bother me much - it's less than the price of a latte I would probably just spill on myself anyway. But have you considered moving to a streaming model for woot shirt delivery...and handing the shirt business over to Shirtster.com with Mortimer as CEO?

Regards,

Matt

Haha... my mind read this as Sinister.com with Moriarty as CEO.

Sorry, I'll go back to my coffee now.

plut0nium

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plut0nium

I don't think it's the price increase that's causing people to hesitate. I think people are mostly wondering the real reason why, plus the whole psychological aspect of spending 12 vs 10.

Other various tee sites that I visit on a daily basis still offer tees for ten bucks so I'll probably be purchasing there more. Not because of the price, just because of my personal preferences as far as the designs go in addition to the price. Shirts I would quickly buy at 10 bucks I hesitate on for 12 bucks. It's not a big difference for a one time purchase but it will definitely make a big difference if you buy on a whim frequently!

cinimini4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cinimini4

Wow, I was JUST about to buy the "Arrow to the Knee" shirt just now until I saw the new $12 graphic in place of my usual $10 (yes, I'm late to the party).

...and we have a new brand of shirt? That some say is even THINNER? I love the Woot shirts that I have bought, but let's be honest: they were already kinda on the thin side.

This disappoints me dearly. This is my wife's account, we merged (deleted) my account long ago so that we may finally fulfill our marital union and she forbade me from ever "suffering" through any 48hr Woot-Offs and comment section debauchery again. Hence, we've only bought shirts for a long time now. But this might be the end of the road. Call me old fashioned, but I don't want to pay more for a lesser shirt.

The fact that I'm passing on a Skyrim meme shirt (jumped the shark or not, who really cares?), speaks volumes. I am a son of Tamriel who is now sans Skyrim, glow-in-the-dark, meme shirt(!). What to do? I'm so confused.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." --Abraham Lincoln

fapfapdotnet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fapfapdotnet

Sweet.

I knew it wouldn't be long until Yahoo tried squeezing more money out of Woot and your various subsidies.

I will no longer be purchasing through you guys. $10 was a great price point. Those $2 are definitely the straws that raped the camel's ass though.

Signing out, after buying 40 or so shirts from you guys.

Sorry. It's $2 this week, then $4 next week. What exactly is going up in your costs? I know it's not hosting/web development. Is cotton really spiking in costs? Are you paying the people who submit these designs more or just pocketing the extra cash?

Tsk tsk Yaho...err.. I mean Woot.

I consistently miss the damned Breaking Old Corruptions

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
fapfapdotnet wrote:Sweet.

I knew it wouldn't be long until Yahoo tried squeezing more money out of Woot and your various subsidies.

I will no longer be purchasing through you guys. $10 was a great price point. Those $2 are definitely the straws that raped the camel's ass though.

Signing out, after buying 40 or so shirts from you guys.

Sorry. It's $2 this week, then $4 next week. What exactly is going up in your costs? I know it's not hosting/web development. Is cotton really spiking in costs? Are you paying the people who submit these designs more or just pocketing the extra cash?

Tsk tsk Yaho...err.. I mean Woot.

A) It's Amazon, not yahoo.
B) If you hadn't noticed the price change in 3 months, I'm guessing loosing your business isn't hurting a lot.
c) Hey J5, if you're still reading this thread, does the cool chart extend farther?

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
bounty42 wrote:
c) Hey J5, if you're still reading this thread, does the cool chart extend farther?

Yes, it extends until last night.
Hold for update.....
Update (click for larger):

move along