bluejester


quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester

But whatever happened to Adder? Not that I miss those long winding rants, but he seems like the type who wouldn't stop unless something happened to him.

Soooo...he's not injured or something, right?

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

This was asked a while back and I don't recall an answer. Tilteed is 'on hold'--orders don't go through anymore, and there haven't been any new tees in months, since he disappeared from here.

Unfortunately, I suspect that whatever has happened, it isn't something that's being publicly shared, which says to me it's best to wish him the best and hope for improved times.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I believe Adder has intentionally "gone dark". He mentioned in the past (either on his blog or here or at TilTeed, I don't recall) that he was doing so.
Tilteed wasn't really Adder's site, I think he just "worked" there (I'm not sure if curators were paid, need to ask JadenKale since she's still somewhat active here...I think). Therefore, I don't think there is causation between the decline of Tilteed and Adder's departure, unless you consider the failure of the former to have a dispiriting effect on the latter to such an extent that Adder "gave up"

On that note, MrWednesday has gone missing as well, and JohnDis5, while active more recently than the others, has done likewise in the past couple of weeks.

Is it sad that I know this?

move along

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
j5 wrote:

Is it sad that I know this?



Actually no I think it's a good and healthy sign of the community that folks keep up with each other like that.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
j5 wrote:I believe Adder has intentionally "gone dark". He mentioned in the past (either on his blog or here or at TilTeed, I don't recall) that he was doing so.
Tilteed wasn't really Adder's site, I think he just "worked" there (I'm not sure if curators were paid, need to ask JadenKale since she's still somewhat active here...I think). Therefore, I don't think there is causation between the decline of Tilteed and Adder's departure, unless you consider the failure of the former to have a dispiriting effect on the latter to such an extent that Adder "gave up"

On that note, MrWednesday has gone missing as well, and JohnDis5, while active more recently than the others, has done likewise in the past couple of weeks.

Is it sad that I know this?



Only if you think you're the only one to notice.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:Only if you think you're the only one to notice.



simpatico

move along

taternuggets


quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

In related news, all the people that used to vote for me and ignorant's mediocre shirt entries have similarly "gone dark."

But seriously, hope all is well with adder.


Nothing follows.

apexarts


quality posts: 0 Private Messages apexarts

Ive noticed the lack of that crowd for a while, and it seems the effect on this site has been rather positive. Hopefully they've simply found other vectors for their interests. It is healthier for them, and it lets the rest of us enjoy Woot without the constant bickering.

bluejester


quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester
apexarts wrote:Ive noticed the lack of that crowd for a while, and it seems the effect on this site has been rather positive. Hopefully they've simply found other vectors for their interests. It is healthier for them, and it lets the rest of us enjoy Woot without the constant bickering.



Agreed. I noticed the decline in his posts as tilteed started to have problems and thought that there might have been a correlation, so I'm glad to see that there wasn't.

But yeah, perhaps he's found other venues then the various shirt sites such as woot, and I too find the effect rather positive. I don't wish ill on anyone really, so I'll just assume he's happier (which we be a nice change) somewhere else and has left this community alone so he can pursue that.

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
apexarts wrote:Ive noticed the lack of that crowd for a while, and it seems the effect on this site has been rather positive. Hopefully they've simply found other vectors for their interests. It is healthier for them, and it lets the rest of us enjoy Woot without the constant bickering.



Bickering or not, at least it provided for interesting reading. :P I kind of miss the controversy.
I feel like this forum is dying down quite a bit. I could be completely wrong about that, and I’m just perceiving it that way because I swing by less often. I’m not sure if decreased “counter arguments” is the root cause or not.

To be honest, I miss having the artist resources tied in with “World of Woot.” I generally don’t move away from the world of woot page, and glancing over at the artist forum, I might not be alone. I thought it was a great idea at the time to pull those threads aside for easy reference, but now I feel like the fun artist discussions don’t take place anymore.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
kevlar51 wrote:Bickering or not, at least it provided for interesting reading. :P I kind of miss the controversy.
I feel like this forum is dying down quite a bit. I could be completely wrong about that, and I’m just perceiving it that way because I swing by less often. I’m not sure if decreased “counter arguments” is the root cause or not.

To be honest, I miss having the artist resources tied in with “World of Woot.” I generally don’t move away from the world of woot page, and glancing over at the artist forum, I might not be alone. I thought it was a great idea at the time to pull those threads aside for easy reference, but now I feel like the fun artist discussions don’t take place anymore.



I think that's because fewer and fewer artists participate in discussions. Feels like that started before the departures of the non-artists, though. Sadly, since I really liked learning more about design and such.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Exclusively HappyFeelGood discussions are not a good thing. The passionate vocal folks are needed to shake up the status quo and campaign for higher ideals. If only to plant the kernels of critical thought into at least a few minds. (see "echo chambers in social media" on Google stands everywhere)

Interestingly, this sort of ties to the "$2 price increase" thread. People are beginning to be more selective with their buying habits. Who knew?

Mavyn wrote:I think that's because fewer and fewer artists participate in discussions. Feels like that started before the departures of the non-artists, though. Sadly, since I really liked learning more about design and such.


I have noticed Ramy being far more participatory in the discussions lately, FWIW.

move along

bluejester


quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester
Mavyn wrote:I think that's because fewer and fewer artists participate in discussions. Feels like that started before the departures of the non-artists, though. Sadly, since I really liked learning more about design and such.



It does feel like there are less and less discussions about the compostition of shirts going on around here. At first I thought that it was just the time of year, becuase everyone seems to rush around more and have less time to participate.

However, it hasn't really picked back up again now that things have quieted down. Walmazan was posting up videos about how he did things, that's stopped now and I now longer see his stuff in the prederby threads. Bluchez hasn't really popped in and out as much as he once did. Heck, even Kenny is near absent (and as weird as it may seem, I miss those pucker designs).

So how do we, as member of the community, get conversation rolling again, in a creative and even critical way, without allowing it to digress into an insult match or accusation-fest?

Thoughts?

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
bluejester wrote:It does feel like there are less and less discussions about the compostition of shirts going on around here. At first I thought that it was just the time of year, becuase everyone seems to rush around more and have less time to participate.

However, it hasn't really picked back up again now that things have quieted down. Walmazan was posting up videos about how he did things, that's stopped now and I now longer see his stuff in the prederby threads. Bluchez hasn't really popped in and out as much as he once did. Heck, even Kenny is near absent (and as weird as it may seem, I miss those pucker designs).

So how do we, as member of the community, get conversation rolling again, in a creative and even critical way, without allowing it to digress into an insult match or accusation-fest?

Thoughts?



bring the "artist threads" back here.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
j5 wrote:


I have noticed Ramy being far more participatory in the discussions lately, FWIW.



ditto that..and he's done a lot more non-cutesy designs as well. But he's one of the few.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Mavyn wrote:ditto that..and he's done a lot more non-cutesy designs as well. But he's one of the few.



almost nobody votes for non-cutesy designs.

trollymctrollerson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages trollymctrollerson
j5 wrote:Exclusively HappyFeelGood discussions are not a good thing. The passionate vocal folks are needed to shake up the status quo and campaign for higher ideals. If only to plant the kernels of critical thought into at least a few minds.



Your ideas suck and your opinions are terrible and you should feel bad.

Come at me, bro.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Josephus wrote:almost nobody votes for non-cutesy designs.



I know. This makes me sad--and I say that as the owner of many cute shirts.

I vote, I push friends to vote. *shrugs*

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
trollymctrollerson wrote:Your ideas suck and your opinions are terrible and you should feel bad.

Come at me, bro.

my dead granpa was named trollymctrollerson you insensitive clod!

move along

trollymctrollerson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages trollymctrollerson
j5 wrote:my dead granpa was named trollymctrollerson you insensitive clod!



Hey, dude, not my fault. It's just yo mama's pet nickname for me.

BOOM, HEADSHOT.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Josephus wrote:almost nobody votes for non-cutesy designs.



I've noticed that we've had an upswing in non-cute lately. There's been a lot of new artists winning, new styles of designs showing up. I vote for non-cute all the time. ^_^ If I can be honest, I think that may be due to the reduction of drama surrounding certain styles or artists. It just feels a lot more balanced to me in the derbies. I could be insane though...which is highly likely! :P

ochopika


quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

The woot shirt forums are far less exciting now, as I mentioned on the reckoning forums a little while ago.

It would be great to see some art discussion again. I'd like to see more objective, positive criticism and real conversation if we do get some "art critics" in the forums. For example: Why is the design "bad" or "good"? Use art vocabulary (Elements of Art, Principles of Design) to make your argument.

I think that artists on this site would feel more comfortable with talking about their work if the discussion was more like a formal critique, rather than a flame war.


*edit* I said I saw a recent adder post, but I was wrong. The post that I saw was actually quite old, just was bumped up randomly. Oh well...

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
trollymctrollerson wrote:Hey, dude, not my fault. It's just yo mama's pet nickname for me.

BOOM, HEADSHOT.

my mom had a sex change 10 years ago. She's got a bigger one than my dad. I hope she didn't charge you too much. I know she gives discounts to the feeble.

move along

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
ochopika wrote:Use art vocabulary (Elements of Art, Principles of Design) to make your argument.



well, that pretty much excludes me, then.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
no1 wrote:well, that pretty much excludes me, then.

just say "painterly", "pop", and "negative space" a lot.

move along

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
j5 wrote:just say "painterly", "pop", and "negative space" a lot.



painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
bassanimation wrote:I could be insane though...which is highly likely! :P



what was with that weight-loss spam/tweet, anyway?

ochopika


quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

no1 wrote:brilliant art analysis



yes, exactly...especially that last part.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

The cynic I keep tied up in the attic suggested that fewer firestone designs are winning specifically because there are fewer 'defend the cute' votes now.

Heh.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:The cynic I keep tied up in the attic suggested that fewer firestone designs are winning specifically because there are fewer 'defend the cute' votes now.

Heh.

firestone? Are those the designs that get flamed a lot?

move along

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

I realize the topic is more about Adder but since I was brought up I can say that I didn't go anywhere. It's mostly just been that since a little before the last double take I've only seen one or two shirts I wanted to vote on much less purchase.

I knew it was only a matter of time before it happened, but I don't think there's really anyone left that interests me artistically. It did surprise me a bit how swift the transition was, though. There have been several derbies recently where I didn't care who won.

There do appear to be some promising new names, but nothing spectacular enough to put a lot of effort into.

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex painterly pop negative space hotsex



Mix in some "pomo" and "avant-" and nobody's gonna be able to even think about approaching your genius.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
no1 wrote:what was with that weight-loss spam/tweet, anyway?



I think accounts are being haxored. 9_9

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
j5 wrote:firestone? Are those the designs that get flamed a lot?



Damned autocorrect. Serves me right for posting from my phone.

Ahem. Cutesy.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
mrwednesday wrote:I realize the topic is more about Adder but since I was brought up I can say that I didn't go anywhere.

You may not have gone anywhere, but you have fallen silent.

@mavyn; cutesy => firestone? What the? I don't even...

move along

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
j5 wrote:You may not have gone anywhere, but you have fallen silent.

@mavyn; cutesy => firestone? What the? I don't even...



Yep. I double checked it. Bizarre. Apparently I don't use 'cutesy' conversationally with any frequency.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

cdrewlow


quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
Mavyn wrote:Damned autocorrect. Serves me right for posting from my phone.

Ahem. Cutesy.



My phone auto-corrected "basically" to "itinerary" this morning.
J5, I like your firestone definition. It's like a touchstone for flame wars.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

FWIW, I did PM Adder a while back just to see if he was still functional. He apparently is just suffering from a bout of disinterest.
Meanwhile, I've also noticed the changeover around here. For my part, my comments have been fewer because I've been in the midst of relocating. I do still try to offer my .02 when I have time, though. These things happen - ebb and flow. Let's hope shirt.woot interest hits an upswing again soon. I do miss the lively discussion of subs in the pre-derby threads.

Narfcake


quality posts: 288 Private Messages Narfcake
paigeg wrote:FWIW, I did PM Adder a while back just to see if he was still functional. He apparently is just suffering from a bout of disinterest. ...



Functional? Geez, you almost make it seem like he's not a human being.

The rants got to the point in which no matter how sweet the validity of the argument was, the vinegar base still left a sour note. So much so that they became more of a joke instead.

In which case, what is the point?

Instead of arguing, how about inspiring someone to change instead? Love, not war, y'know.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Narfcake wrote:Instead of arguing, how about inspiring someone to change instead? Love, not war, y'know.



LOVE=HATE
WAR=PEACE