gina3graces

quality posts: 42 Private Messages gina3graces

This shirt makes me feel all snack-packy. Woot, could you send me this t-shirt in a produce bag so that when it gets here it can go direct in the fridge? Since it's so crunchtastic, in for one. (Like the eyebrow biz goin' on... carrot far right side. Winkin' at me and all.) Darn flirty orange sticks.

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan

Congrats Randy! Awesome work!

sgoman5674

quality posts: 41 Private Messages sgoman5674

Is the shirt $12 because of the glow-in-the-dark ink?

uggnot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uggnot

I've only ever had one glow in the dark shirt that held up to the washer repeatedly. (an old misfits concert shirt) How well does the glow in the dark ink shirt.woot uses hold up? I'm tempted on this one, but if the effect wears off after one or two runs through the laundry it doesnt feel worth it.

WootFlair

quality posts: 10 Private Messages WootFlair

$12 is the new 10. All shirts are $12 on their first day, specialties like hoodies and long sleeves the exception, I am sure.

CandaceO

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CandaceO
ChaosDoctor07 wrote:Night vision? I could carrot less about that.

So you don't carrot all?

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

I love how everyone thinks all night vision goggles look like the ones in Splinter Cell. What is that third center lens for anyway? Answer me, Tom Clancy!

gozer2048

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gozer2048

Please remember some important Don'ts!

1) Don't eat a carrot with mittens!
2) Don't put a carrot in your belly button!
and
3) Don't write on walls with your carrot!

Thank you Sesame Street!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Wgxt2NEDs

(I wrote on a brick wall with a cooked carrot in college. It was readable a year later!)

whitlock929

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whitlock929

Awesome kids shirt!! Terrible kid shirt price! My 2 1/2 year old will grow out of whatever size I would buy. If it was for me as long as I don't gain another 50 lbs the shirt will as long as I take care of it and don't run it into anything sharp. But my daughter will be out of all the kids sizes in 2 years so maybe we'll see you then

standard888

quality posts: 0 Private Messages standard888

I love this design except that carrots don't do anything for your eyesight!

This myth came from the British in WWII to hide why they were actually doing so well at detecting I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorant bombers at night. The real reason was new radar system; the story about carrots took on a life of its own and has been going strong ever since.

metalnate

quality posts: 1 Private Messages metalnate

Is this a picture of the legendary Vitamin A-Team?

carenfortuna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carenfortuna
nmpls wrote:Is this taunting as we've had 48 hours of woot-off without a Bandolier of Carrots?

I am sure this is a ridiculous question, but how does one find out about these woot-offs. I have not seen any information about it, but everyone keeps talking about it. Is there a link (for future reference if this woot-off is already over)?

Thanks!

sgoman5674

WootFlair wrote:$12 is the new 10. All shirts are $12 on their first day, specialties like hoodies and long sleeves the exception, I am sure.

I must have missed that. When did this happen?

Edit: I found it http://shirt.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=21031

meepee

quality posts: 33 Private Messages meepee

Carrots have night vision. And torches. And flashlights. And trees on their heads. YESSSSSSSS!

greenleaf44

quality posts: 8 Private Messages greenleaf44
carenfortuna wrote:I am sure this is a ridiculous question, but how does one find out about these woot-offs. I have not seen any information about it, but everyone keeps talking about it. Is there a link (for future reference if this woot-off is already over)?

Thanks!

I always just look for the yellow box surrounding the links to the various woot sites...Yellow means woot-off. And then I waste half my day watching the woot-off, looking at all the stuff I can't afford to buy...

carenfortuna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carenfortuna
greenleaf44 wrote:I always just look for the yellow box surrounding the links to the various woot sites...Yellow means woot-off. And then I waste half my day watching the woot-off, looking at all the stuff I can't afford to buy...

Thank you, that was very helpful!

jhartmus

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jhartmus

Whitlock929 -- We just start off with a larger size and use it as a nightgown. It gradually changes to a shirt. It's magic!

Woodydick1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Woodydick1

Kind of loses a bit given that the T-Shirt explains the joke underneath the picture on the shirt itself

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats
SilentS wrote:More Credible Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrot#Nutrition

Better: http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/carrots.asp

Can we split this into shirt.woot and kids.shirt.woot already? I'm sure cutesy veggie and animal shirts are great for kids, but I'm not really interested in seeing one every single day.

sgoman5674

carenfortuna wrote:Thank you, that was very helpful!

If you are signed up for the daily email, you will be notified of the deal of the day for each site and whether or not a wootoff is going on for which site.

anyboatyourow

quality posts: 25 Private Messages anyboatyourow

Makes me think of PepBoys.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
tonyawinter wrote:Hey, when is the shirt off? I love woot offs, but never for the shirts

And we have a WINNER in "First Guy to ***** About the Price" BINGO! [FGBAP BINGO]
If you had 27, congradulations!

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Randyotter goodness!

/truism

Homncruse

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Homncruse
tonyawinter wrote:Hey, when is the shirt off? I love woot offs, but never for the shirts

Shirt offs are, er... a completely different website.

"No name, no order, no art, no limit... Such are the Paths of Mystery."

blue_94_trooper

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blue_94_trooper
sgoman5674 wrote:Is the shirt $12 because of the glow-in-the-dark ink?

News travels fast.

bomberjb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bomberjb
MetilHed wrote:Obi-Wan: "This is not the bundle of carrots you're looking for"

No, but I am trained like Pavlov's dog.

madbomma

kgongol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kgongol
uggnot wrote:I've only ever had one glow in the dark shirt that held up to the washer repeatedly. (an old misfits concert shirt) How well does the glow in the dark ink shirt.woot uses hold up? I'm tempted on this one, but if the effect wears off after one or two runs through the laundry it doesnt feel worth it.

I have one with a Robot eating lightning which has lasted nearly a year now I believe, and the glow in the dark is still as good as it's ever been!

dwayri

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dwayri

As much as I want all Americans to have night vision, I need to find out if Randyotter is 35 years old or older, a natural born citizen of the US, and has lived in the US for 14 years before I can support his campaign for the presidency.

theabnormal1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages theabnormal1

I see what you did there.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
carenfortuna wrote:I am sure this is a ridiculous question, but how does one find out about these woot-offs. I have not seen any information about it, but everyone keeps talking about it. Is there a link (for future reference if this woot-off is already over)?

Thanks!

If you subscribe to the newsletter, you can predict the arrival of a wootoff by the fact that you received a newsletter at all. At least that has been the trend as far as I have observed.

skatimmy737 wrote:I love how everyone thinks all night vision goggles look like the ones in Splinter Cell. What is that third center lens for anyway? Answer me, Tom Clancy!

The "third lens" is actually an IR projector. Some night-vision modes use only available light, but the more common ones use an IR emitter to illuminate the subject, which the CCD imager can then resolve.

move along

arcade-art

quality posts: 1 Private Messages arcade-art

love Randy Otter, but don't like olive tees, not my color, but congrats to Randy Otter on the print

............ Video Game Art and Custom Sprites ............

cregardener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cregardener

<<< a no brainer for me. I will be the envy of the community garden no doubt.

ugark

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ugark
bassanimation wrote:I've always wondered if carrots really DO improve night vision, or if it was just a lie to get kids to eat their veggies. -squints at book in the dark-

Nice work, Randy, and very cool glowy design!!!

Actually no. It was a lie made up during WWII to throw of the I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorants:

"In 1940 experiments with high carotene varieties were conducted to reduce night blindness in World War II pilots. These high carotene roots were very dry. With the advent of synthetically manufactured carotene, cultivation of these varieties ceased in 1947. In World War II, Britain's Air Ministry spread the word that a diet of carrots helped Dig For Victory Poster Carrotspilots see I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorant bombers attacking at night. That was a lie intended to cover the real matter of what was underpinning the Royal Air Force's successes: the latest, highly efficient on board, Airborne Interception Radar, also known as AI. The secret new system pinpointed some enemy bombers before they reached the English Channel.

When the Luftwaffe's bombing assault switched to night raids after the unsuccessful daylight campaign, British Intelligence didn't want the Germans to find out about the superior new technology helping protect the nation, so they created a rumour to afford a somewhat plausible-sounding explanation for the sudden increase in bombers being shot down. British Intelligence instigated news in the British press about extraordinary personnel manning the defences, including Flight Lieutenant John Cunningham, an RAF fighter pilot dubbed "Cats Eyes" on the basis of his exceptional night vision that allowed him to spot his prey in the dark. In fact, in WW II, he was the RAF's top-scoring night fighter pilot, with a total of 20 kills. Cunningham's abilities were chalked up to his love of carrots. The Royal Air Force bragged that the great accuracy of British fighter pilots at night was a result of them being fed enormous quantities of carrots and the Germans bought it because their folk wisdom included the same myth.

But this story was only a myth invented by the RAF to hide their use of radar, which was what really located the Luftwaffe bombers at night - not human carrot-assisted super-vision.

The disinformation was so persuasive that the English public to the extent that they started growing and eating more carrots, so that they could find they way around easier at night during the blackouts that were compulsory during WW II."

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/history4.html

connie627

quality posts: 0 Private Messages connie627

Love the write up! But you forgot to list the danger of attacks from nose-less snowmen who blame you for their inability to breathe.

jaellehanako

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaellehanako

What's funny is that I was just telling myself how I should eat more carrots on my ride home. I spent 10 minutes trying to find my house keys in the dark. Lol will this shirt up my low light vision?

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl
metalnate wrote:Is this a picture of the legendary Vitamin A-Team?

More like the Beta Carot-Team

pfffft!

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

Actually, despite the interesting story above, there is ample evidence that vitamin A, including in the form of beta carotene, prevents night blindness. Rhodopsin, the pigment responsible for night vision has retinal as a substrate (which comes from vitamin A/beta carotene). Of course most Americans probably get more than enough vitamin A... so deficiency is not common here and carrots are unlikely to improve the vision of most readers here.

pfffft!

whitlock929

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whitlock929
jhartmus wrote:Whitlock929 -- We just start off with a larger size and use it as a nightgown. It gradually changes to a shirt. It's magic!

We've been doing that trick already buying 6k size shirts for a 2 and a half year old maximizing the usage. She will grow into them. They will fit nicely for a while then grow out of them. $10 was a bit much it had to be a very good shirt. Now at $12 there will be that many fewer. I will be mostly relegated to random and I'm good with that.

jbhswim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jbhswim

First day sales: 1239

Last purchase time: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 11:58:59 PM Central Time
Order pace: 1m 9.684s
Woot wage: $3,752.67
Woots sold: 1239

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Last wooter to woot: nielsenb
Last purchase time: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 11:58:59 PM Central Time
Order pace: 1m 9.684s