WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Some records are meant to be broken: the 1000 meter dash, the breast stroke, the most hot dogs eaten in under a minute, you know; thrilling, sports stuff. Others aren't so amazing, like holding the record for "most sawdust required to absorb puke" at your middle school or "longest time spent absent-mindedly picking own nose without realizing you were being watched." This week, give us your most dubious honors, be they fictional or inspired by real-life events you certainly would never own up to but may be willing to exploit to get a t-shirt printed. Make them questionable or mundane, just not offensive or super gross. Here are the rules:

No text only designs. You've got to have a graphical element.

Quality Posts

thatrobert

quality posts: 28 Private Messages thatrobert

Most first posts.

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

I was briefly number 1 on the Deals Woot rankings last week. My wife treated it as a dubious honor.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

[Sigh] bring on all the trite pop-culture memes. "Most arrows taken to the knee." "Most zubats captured." "Most younglings slaughtered." "Most sonic screwdrivers forcibly inserted into [mod: bad visual images for highly creative minds]" [Eyerolls]

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd

Prediction: 6/9 fog entries will have to do with video games in some way.

officeink

quality posts: 3 Private Messages officeink

Any restrictions on Pop culture designs or Industry references? Thanks

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
clarinerd wrote:Prediction: 6/9 fog entries will have to do with video games in some way.

That's like predicting tomorrow is Friday.

Nothing follows.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
endangeredomega wrote:[Sigh] bring on all the trite pop-culture memes. "Most arrows taken to the knee." "Most zubats captured." "Most younglings slaughtered." "Most [mod: bad images to the brain! Anvilania]" [Eyerolls]

oooh!
//cranks up MSPaint//

move along

rockymike

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rockymike
endangeredomega wrote:[Sigh] bring on all the trite pop-culture memes. "Most arrows taken to the knee." "Most zubats captured." "Most younglings slaughtered." "Most sonic screwdrivers forcibly inserted [mod: bad visual images for highly creative minds]" [Eyerolls]

Most Arrows in Knee was the first thing that came to mind for me as well, along with Bin Laden Hide N Seek Champion - which a quick Google search reveals many t-shirts relating to that already exist. Time to dig deep!

Yeah, so there's that...

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
taternuggets wrote:That's like predicting tomorrow is Friday.

Well since my derby predictions are usually wrong, I guess I was hoping that stating it on the forum would make it less likely to come true.

aramis525

quality posts: 8 Private Messages aramis525

What about "Most First Sucker on Shirt.Woot"? Narfcake FTW!!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

"Derby Topic least likely to produce a Great Winning Design"

mrsstudrobinson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrsstudrobinson
aramis525 wrote:What about "Most First Sucker on Shirt.Woot"? Narfcake FTW!!

Um, I don't think that would be very good because "First Sucker" doesn't really read like that, and it would be in poor taste to knowingly go with it anyway.

But this is a good time to revisit the "Overindulgence" theme. And since bunnies are so popular, I'm thinking we'll see something like "Most marshmallows shoved into tiny cheeks."

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
endangeredomega wrote:[Sigh] bring on all the trite pop-culture memes. "Most arrows taken to the knee." "Most zubats captured." "Most younglings slaughtered." "Most sonic screwdrivers forcibly inserted into [mod: bad visual images for highly creative minds]" [Eyerolls]

Damn. Was gonna go for the most arrows to the knee too.

Hmm... most marios on a shirt... most bunnies eating meat... most pandas eating bananas... most shirt designs submitted to woot (Josephus! But I'm third...)

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

"...women are still worth 10 points more than men in all age brackets, but teenagers now rack up 40 points, and toddlers under 12 now rate a big 70 points. The big score: anyone, any sex, over 75 years old has been upped to 100 points."
For some reason, I envisioned a SUV-driving soccer mom with 'kill points' on her back window instead of those stick-figure things. I must be having some road-rage issues
/edit: Ooo, wait - how about the stick figure thingies, with the hash-mark kill numbers next to them? (Don't be on the road when I leave work today. Just sayin'.)

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

This is a tricky one!
This is my first sketch, it is ridiculous!

aramis525

quality posts: 8 Private Messages aramis525
nathanwpyle wrote:This is a tricky one!
This is my first sketch, it is ridiculous!

Made me lol! Can't wait to see the finish product...if you decided to submit it

ghostglide

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghostglide

I call "Cheezburger Champion"

nathanwpyle

Similarly, this would be an accurate shirt for me to make/wear toooo

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
SkekTek wrote:Hmm... most marios on a shirt... most bunnies eating meat... most pandas eating bananas... most shirt designs submitted to woot (Josephus! But I'm third...)

Most pop culture references silhouetted against the moon?

Nothing follows.

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris

I really hope people give it a break but unless they specifically ban Pop Culture References, there will most likely be an abundance of it. If so, give me the "Least $%!+ Given About The Derby" award.

tanadora

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tanadora
taternuggets wrote:Most pop culture references silhouetted against the moon?

Now I'm imagining Link, Mario, Vader, and some cute fuzzy animals all howling at the moon..

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
CrescentDebris wrote:I really hope people give it a break but unless they specifically ban Pop Culture References, there will most likely be an abundance of it. If so, give me the "Least $%!+ Given About The Derby" award.

I think the competition for that would be fierce.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

tanadora wrote:Now I'm imagining Link, Mario, Vader, and some cute fuzzy animals all howling at the moon..

No, TN is thinking aliens.

move along

gricomet

quality posts: 35 Private Messages gricomet

most Twinkies stuffed in mouth?

SkekTek

Most tacos?

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake
mrsstudrobinson wrote:... And since bunnies are so popular, I'm thinking we'll see something like "Most marshmallows shoved into tiny cheeks."

It's been done.

As for my first sucker/last wooter count ... I think I'm only at 9 and 8 respectively. It just so happens that four of them happen to be the same shirt, that's all.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
CrescentDebris wrote:I really hope people give it a break but unless they specifically ban Pop Culture References, there will most likely be an abundance of it. If so, give me the "Least $%!+ Given About The Derby" award.

This.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

Hmmm. Given this and cmdixon2's agreement, methinks we have hit upon the shirt.woot anomie under discussion in the Community "World of Shirt Woot" thread. Somewhere along the way, there was just one too many bunnies or zombies or Marios for a good many of the artists we've come to know and love around here.
I has a sad.

j5

paigeg wrote:Hmmm. Given this and cmdixon2's agreement, methinks we have hit upon the shirt.woot anomie under discussion in the Community "World of Shirt Woot" thread. Somewhere along the way, there was just one too many bunnies or zombies or Marios for a good many of the artists we've come to know and love around here.
I has a sad.

I think the floodgates opened around Derby #211 "everyday 8-bit"
I imagine it's frustrating as all hell to put a lot of work into a unique, creative, well executed design only to watch it beat out by a bunch of cheap, shoehorned Pop-cult references.

move along

higgyce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages higgyce

as I'm incapable of entering myself at this time (new comp with none of the needed programs on it...the hubby has promised photoshop so I'm excited for that) but if someone want to run with it I was voted most meek in high school (yeah...most meek...I thought it was a Dot's Poetry Corner award and they were just searchin for something to say about me...) feel free to run with it if you can think of anything!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

j5 wrote:I think the floodgates opened around Derby #211 "everyday 8-bit"
I imagine it's frustrating as all hell to put a lot of work into a unique, creative, well executed design only to watch it beat out by a bunch of cheap, shoehorned Pop-cult references.

It may not be quite as bad as some might think. Since Derby #211, around 44 of the winning derby shirts were not pop-culture related. 23 were pop-culture, about one out of every three. That means non-pop-culture tees still dominated the derby 2 to 1.

This is partly because we still put no pop-culture rules into place, such as the recent Underwater, Motivation, and Winter derbies. Also, there are plenty of times when we allow pop-culture and the winners are still largely non-pop-culture related, such as the recent Letter A and Overindulgence derbies -- only 1 out of 6 of those winners was pop culture related, even though it was completely allowed.

A LOT of our audience loves pop-culture related stuff. A big portion of our audience doesn't. You both are here, and we'd ideally like to make you both happy. This is why we mix it up between the two. Because we run pop-culture allowed one week doesn't mean we're trying to stick it to the pop-culture haters, and vice-versa.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I'm working on a roadside attraction for cats, if you know your Weird Al songs you can probably guess where I'm going with it. : )

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
tgentry wrote:It may not be quite as bad as some might think. Since Derby #211, around 44 of the winning derby shirts were not pop-culture related. 23 were pop-culture, about one out of every three. That means non-pop-culture tees still dominated the derby 2 to 1.

And the statistics, ratios and percentages for Pop-Culture entries to Non-Pop-Culture entries are?

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

I'm going simple and silly this week.

nathanwpyle

tgentry wrote:It may not be quite as bad as some might think. Since Derby #211, around 44 of the winning derby shirts were not pop-culture related. 23 were pop-culture, about one out of every three. That means non-pop-culture tees still dominated the derby 2 to 1.

This is partly because we still put no pop-culture rules into place, such as the recent Underwater, Motivation, and Winter derbies. Also, there are plenty of times when we allow pop-culture and the winners are still largely non-pop-culture related, such as the recent Letter A and Overindulgence derbies -- only 1 out of 6 of those winners was pop culture related, even though it was completely allowed.

A LOT of our audience loves pop-culture related stuff. A big portion of our audience doesn't. You both are here, and we'd ideally like to make you both happy. This is why we mix it up between the two. Because we run pop-culture allowed one week doesn't mean we're trying to stick it to the pop-culture haters, and vice-versa.

This is interesting and even surprising! Good to know that voters appreciate good non-pop concepts that can stand on their own.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
endangeredomega wrote:[Sigh] bring on all the trite pop-culture memes. "Most arrows taken to the knee." "Most zubats captured." "Most younglings slaughtered." "Most sonic screwdrivers forcibly inserted into [mod: bad visual images for highly creative minds]" [Eyerolls]

As Skyrim tracks how many innocent bunnies you slaughter it would be a better option than arrows. And fit woot better too.

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
specsmachine wrote:I'm going simple and silly this week.

God, I wish I didn't like this as much as I do. Nicely done.

stardamsel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages stardamsel
Spiritgreen wrote:I'm working on a roadside attraction for cats, if you know your Weird Al songs you can probably guess where I'm going with it. : )

"Biggest Ball of Yarn in Minnesota"? :->

SkekTek

Dunno if this'll get rejected or not, but it's all I got. Comments?