thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
SkekTek wrote:Dunno if this'll get rejected or not, but it's all I got. Comments?

That's kind of the opposite of dubious isn't it?

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
thatrobert wrote:That's kind of the opposite of dubious isn't it?

The reason is that although it has the record, it's not the one people think of as the longest- that goes to the humuhumunukunukuapuaa. So it's dubious with respect to the idea that it IS the longest, but doesn't get the props.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
thatrobert wrote:That's kind of the opposite of dubious isn't it?

The description of the theme says to make them questionable or mundane, just not gross or offensive. I think that this could probably fall under the category of mundane, considering it is an arbitrary distinction and the fish did nothing to earn the title :P

Just my thoughts on the matter, maybe some clarification could be of help?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
stardamsel wrote:"Biggest Ball of Yarn in Minnesota"? :->

Hairball. ;p

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
ramyb wrote:The description of the theme says to make them questionable or mundane, just not gross or offensive. I think that this could probably fall under the category of mundane, considering it is an arbitrary distinction and the fish did nothing to earn the title :P

OK. Yeah, that will work with the mundane angle.

kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51
ramyb wrote:The description of the theme says to make them questionable or mundane, just not gross or offensive. I think that this could probably fall under the category of mundane, considering it is an arbitrary distinction and the fish did nothing to earn the title :P

I'm interpreting "dubious award" as an award that you might not necessarily want (or alternatively care about), however accurate it might be.

And I agree that clarification would always be helpful.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

I know this idea could be really funny. A shirt that implies the wearer has won awards for "longest worn shirt"...meta.

The concept is not quite right though...anyone have any ideas to improve it? Don't mind the sketchiness, it's the general concept that I'm stuck on.

seacore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seacore
ochopika wrote:I know this idea could be really funny. A shirt that implies the wearer has won awards for "longest worn shirt"...meta.

The concept is not quite right though...anyone have any ideas to improve it? Don't mind the sketchiness, it's the general concept that I'm stuck on.

No, I think that's right on. Keeping in mind that someone is going to be in that shirt when others read it, there'll be a moment of "ugh... is that the shirt that he's been wearing that long?" and I think that's good.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

I think it's dubious enough because you know I tend to look emotionless sometimes when I'm busy thinking

Any suggestions for what kind of controls/toggles to put on the front?

ochopika

Staff

nathanwpyle wrote:Any suggestions for what kind of controls/toggles to put on the front?

This is really funny and you can make it work, but I think the digital display is distracting. It makes it hard to read the text. I'd leave the font but get rid of the display behind it, if that makes sense. Otherwise, putting little knobs and controls with funny labels would be cool. I dunno what kinds you should use though.

nathanwpyle

ochopika wrote:I know this idea could be really funny. A shirt that implies the wearer has won awards for "longest worn shirt"...meta.

I totally agree you should indeed do this and can probably win this exact award. I love this

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
CrescentDebris wrote:And the statistics, ratios and percentages for Pop-Culture entries to Non-Pop-Culture entries are?

10 to 1 is my guess... maybe a little more or less. And how many derbies had pop culture rule restrictions?

But really, it is dumb to talk numbers here. Its pop-culture!!! That means there is a huge following for it in the current world. Of course a good design that references something that millions of people adore is going to get more attention than an original work of art by a borderline no name artist.

While I am here complain... I do greatly appreciate the new rule. You guys don't have to do that, but you do it for us. Thanks!

msj11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msj11
SkekTek wrote:Dunno if this'll get rejected or not, but it's all I got. Comments?

this is great!

msj11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msj11
nathanwpyle wrote:I totally agree you should indeed do this and can probably win this exact award. I love this

I think the best one would be "World's Greatest T-Shirt Designer" and then have a blank T-Shirt as the graphic element...

nathanwpyle

msj11 wrote:I think the best one would be "World's Greatest T-Shirt Designer" and then have a blank T-Shirt as the graphic element...

Haha man I love sarcasm like that. I actually have a lot of text-only ideas for this derby and I'm trying to think of a way to make them visual...

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano

I would add a foot note implying that "This is not that shirt", just to create doubts on peoples minds Does it make sense?

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1
nathanwpyle wrote:I think it's dubious enough because you know I tend to look emotionless sometimes when I'm busy thinking

How about an eject button?

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked

I like it.

How are you thinking of coloring?
I don't know if it would be better for the leaves to be green or gold (that I am assuming the trophy will be).

blanked

axphw1 wrote:

Before scrolling down I thought it would have barbells.

piwerx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages piwerx
nathanwpyle wrote:I think it's dubious enough because you know I tend to look emotionless sometimes when I'm busy thinking

Divergent from and inspired by this, + pop culture, I'm still Pee-Oohed by the ending of Lost:
L.O.S.T. = Lamest Obscure Series on Television, Evah!! (or Forever)

I refuse to watch Alcatraz, produced by J.J. Abrahms. I mean it, six years and purgatory, I'm still mad!!!

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi
specsmachine wrote:I'm going simple and silly this week.

Hahaha.

Well played.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

Here's what I got for tomorrow. I hope people dig it.

nathanwpyle

good idea with the eject button! Playing around with some different ideas.

keeping it super simple

blanked

midgerock wrote:Here's what I got for tomorrow. I hope people dig it.

It is likely intentional, but boy that dogs eye seems to be unconnected to its head. Though I'm not 100% on pug's appearance, I've always owned REAL dogs ;)

nathanwpyle

Hahaha! I guess I lost.

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian

Nachos!

blanked

@nathanwpyle
I think I prefer the complicated, even though the button might get lost in person. I also prefer the power gauge (on the right) to the could be anything bar (on the left). But reverse the colors of the bar, as being on the reds typically means low juice.

nathanwpyle

blanked wrote:@nathanwpyle
I think I prefer the complicated, even though the button might get lost in person. I also prefer the power gauge (on the right) to the could be anything bar (on the left). But reverse the colors of the bar, as being on the reds typically means low juice.

Oh right! Thank you - yeah I was looking at it thinking this looks right, but it would only look right if it were a sound gauge, which it probably isn't er shouldn't be. Haha, thanks for straightening me out, blanked!

ochopika

Staff

omarfeliciano wrote:I would add a foot note implying that "This is not that shirt", just to create doubts on peoples minds Does it make sense?

Yes, I see what you mean. That sounds funny Ill see if that works, though I may leave it up to the wearer to say that in person, lol.

@blanked: I was thinking of going monochromatic with this one. I am going to try warm grays with maybe some faded yellow for the trophy. Also, i'm going to "distress" the design to make it look old.

sombrillo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sombrillo
Radscoolian wrote:

Nachos!

So funny! Especially like the jalapenos!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

i've been sitting on this design for a while. "Least Authentic Taco"

manikx66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manikx66

here is my entry for tomorrow hope you like comments are welcome

arienb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arienb

LOVE it! Love your featured 'champions'.

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan

The subhead actually made me... wait for it... LOL.

ochopika

Staff

Here's this one all colored and fancy. It should make people chuckle if nothing else. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

nathanwpyle

ochopika wrote:Here's this one all colored and fancy. It should make people chuckle if nothing else. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Love it! nicely executed and gets the joke across effectively.

nathanwpyle

I started over with a new concept. I love digital red on black, but the joke I went for was too contrived.
Hopefully something like this hasn't been done...

ochopika

Staff

nathanwpyle wrote:I started over with a new concept. I love digital red on black, but the joke I went for was too contrived.
Hopefully something like this hasn't been done...

I think the idea is even better than your last one. It's a little more concise.

I totally get it about feeling like a design is contrived. Usually I'll work on something for hours and be like "what the crap is this?". Then I'll make another design in half the time and it will be way better.

nathanwpyle

ochopika wrote:I think the idea is even better than your last one. It's a little more concise.

I totally get it about feeling like a design is contrived. Usually I'll work on something for hours and be like "what the crap is this?". Then I'll make another design in half the time and it will be way better.

Ha! Exactly the way I feel. I get way too deep in my own head and come up with stuff that makes sense only to me fairly often. I think both of your awesome prints in the reckoning now have that head-slappingly smart 'why didn't I think of that' quality.