fgarriel

quality posts: 20 Private Messages fgarriel
popmaster wrote:thats a pretty awesome shirt, HUNGER GAMES FTW reading them right now, please no one ruin the ending!!!

Which ending should we not ruin - the first book, or the whole trilogy?

isfor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages isfor

Tempted...

Loved the books (yes, all three), excited for the movie, but not a huge fan of tacos.

I'll have to mull this one over for a few hours.

cmoborough

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cmoborough

District 14 is Mexico, their export is tacos. Tacos are funny. The end.

chypher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chypher

It would make far more sense that the artist is referencing Los Angeles which has towns that surround it identified as Districts. District 14 in LA has a population of Hispanic residents. Regardless of how Woot is trying to sell it.

http://cd14.lacity.org/YOUR_TEAM/District_Profile/index.htm

dunkinstix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dunkinstix

I don't get the taco. Could somebody please clue me in?

sickboy932

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sickboy932

How would this look on an over weight middle aged dude like myself?

Still waiting for pole vault girl to arrive.

angelsgirl2002

quality posts: 3 Private Messages angelsgirl2002

May the odds be ever in your favor.. Of snagging the elusive district 14 taco shirt.

blue_94_trooper

quality posts: 9 Private Messages blue_94_trooper
dunkinstix wrote:I don't get the taco. Could somebody please clue me in?

It's a food with Mexican or Tex-Mex origins that includes a shell (typically crunchy and made from corn) and savory ingredients inside. Often these ingredients will include a protein (ground beef is very common) cooked in a sauce, vegetables (e.g. lettuce, tomato), a salsa and some cheese (grated cheddar, frequently). However the variations are endless and, in the case of the Choco-Taco, not always savory.

toxicwaffles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toxicwaffles

I think its cute.

starksre

quality posts: 3 Private Messages starksre

i wonder what cinna would have to say about this shirt...

littlepharoah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages littlepharoah
calebmitchell wrote:If you haven't read The Hunger Games, stop whatever you're doing at this moment, find this book somewhere, by whatever means necessary, sit your bahonkas down somewhere, and do not move until you finish it (which will be quite easy, once you start.) These books - or the first one, at least - are absolutely amazing. Have not talked to anyone who read it that didn't completely love it.

No thanks, I already read Battle Royale. The gf read it and said I wasn't missing anything that Battle Royale didn't do better.

jettavdwrvr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jettavdwrvr
blue_94_trooper wrote:It's a food with Mexican or Tex-Mex origins that includes a shell (typically crunchy and made from corn) and savory ingredients inside. Often these ingredients will include a protein (ground beef is very common) cooked in a sauce, vegetables (e.g. lettuce, tomato), a salsa and some cheese (grated cheddar, frequently). However the variations are endless and, in the case of the Choco-Taco, not always savory.

Thumbs up!

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
hards7 wrote:I can't believe I'm going to explain this...

In the book there are 13 districts and they each produce something (3 is fishing, 12 is coal... etc.). Clearly, what the author is going for is sardonic humor. Like, "Wouldn't it be funny if there were 14 districts and in the 14th they produced Tacos!!!" Since Tacos are totally like something that is a life necessity... like coal, or electronics, or weapons.

Get it?

Also, for those not stuck in California, 14 (or XIV) is the Gang Symbol for one of the largest Latino Street Gangs. This shirt would actually be considered Gang Apparel where I live and would be grounds for permenant expulsion from school.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
starksre wrote:i wonder what cinna would have to say about this shirt...

Needs more firey hot sauce, perhaps.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Krikkit

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Krikkit

It's only appropriate that this shirt should come up today. I just started reading The Hunger Games yesterday afternoon, and while I was reading I of course was thinking "Man I need a woot shirt to wear while I read this book" - Not really but I did just start the book yesterday

enesvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enesvy

Brilliant!!

You're messin' with my zen thing, man.

piwerx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages piwerx
EranRist wrote: There is no such appearance within the fine casting choices made for the movie(s). So, it seems Woot's more commenting on the greed of the studio's et alia: "Wow, blockbuster novel series! Lets make it into a rushed movie and make MORE money!"

Main difference between "The Hunger Games" and "Twilight"? Twilight could only go up from being made into a movie... Hunger Games had something to lose. (And from all appearances, did)

(Humor me) Still, I assume you've read them, what does that have to do with a taco and "District 14"? Besides being food, or an image of food and how funny that is in a post apocalyptic setting, What is the connex, yo? Is this "District 14" featured in the books? All references to "districts" and food are now a nod to this teen series? IDK?

Gettin' old in District 79!

blue_94_trooper

quality posts: 9 Private Messages blue_94_trooper
littlepharoah wrote:No thanks, I already read Battle Royale. The gf read it and said I wasn't missing anything that Battle Royale didn't do better.

reply #1 - I read Romeo and Juliet and your gf told me I didn't need to see "West Side Story".

reply #2 - I hope you read Battle Royale in the original Japanese. The English translation is just a poor rehash.

Reply #3 - Have you read Battle Royale with Cheese?

piwerx

chinarosary wrote:And here I thought this was a reference to Joseph "I Might Have Tacos" Maturo.

This.
How can I keep up? I thought I was doing pretty well just staying 'current' with events.

piwerx

chypher wrote:It would make far more sense that the artist is referencing Los Angeles which has towns that surround it identified as Districts. District 14 in LA has a population of Hispanic residents. Regardless of how Woot is trying to sell it.

http://cd14.lacity.org/YOUR_TEAM/District_Profile/index.htm

If
Artist refs L.A. = true
then
Shirt = funny

(most populations anywhere are divided into districts, seriously obscuring the joke and supporting evidence for the teeny pop culture reference)

PeaceInThyme

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PeaceInThyme
blue_94_trooper wrote:
reply #2 - I hope you read Battle Royale in the original Japanese. The English translation is just a poor rehash.

:D I think I may love you

princesspraline

quality posts: 1 Private Messages princesspraline
gilfOG wrote:$12?!? When did this price jump happen? No more shirt.woot for me, it seems :/

Dude you are sooooooo January 2012....

coderWil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coderWil

[quote="chypher"]It would make far more sense that the artist is referencing Los Angeles which has towns that surround it identified as Districts. District 14 in LA has a population of Hispanic residents. Regardless of how Woot is trying to sell it.

http://cd14.lacity.org/YOUR_TEAM/District_Profile/index.htm[/quote]

It's Los Angeles. Every district has a population of spanish speaking people.

theehill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theehill
migelito wrote:or just reread battle royale and write in the appropriate character names with a bic

While the concept is similar, the story is not, so that wouldn't work.

Kalma

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Kalma

Something else that might help explain the Tshirt is the emblem design from the movie for the new districts. You can see the other district emblems here.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
piwerx wrote:If
Artist refs L.A. = true
then
Shirt = funny

(most populations anywhere are divided into districts, seriously obscuring the joke and supporting evidence for the teeny pop culture reference)

No self respecting latino thug from So Cal would ever wear something with a 14 on it. It's 13 all the way, homie.

Narfcake

quality posts: 271 Private Messages Narfcake
odysseyroc wrote:No self respecting latino thug from So Cal would ever wear something with a 14 on it. It's 13 all the way, homie.

Depending on what part of town you're in, that 13 means a 187 afterwards.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
odysseyroc wrote:No self respecting latino thug from So Cal would ever wear something with a 14 on it. It's 13 all the way, homie.

He's gettin' a tattoo, yeah he's gettin' ink done.
He wanted a 13 but he got a 31.

move along

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
Narfcake wrote:Depending on what part of town you're in, that 13 means a 187 afterwards.

It was even worse in the late 80's-early 90's. I don't miss making sure I'm not wearing the wrong color in the wrong neighborhood. I don't think I owned any red clothing from like 86-95.

abhorsen0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abhorsen0

Love it . . . But I'm broke and relying on my hunting skills to survive, *sighs*

As to the HG vs. Battle Royale-the latter is a message to modern youth about violence. Hunger Games is about war, or thinks it is (cruddy slapdash teen love-triangle alert). Sooo, there's a place for both.
I still plan on seeing the movie-the book already had 2D characters & great action scenes, just like Hollywood.

Great shirt ;)

discodancing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages discodancing

Hilarious shirt. If you haven't read it, you can get it for free on a Kindle if you're an Amazon Prime member. Or it's only $5 to buy in paperback or for any Kindle App:

The Hunger Games

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Hey look, a link to a new trailer!

I'm just hanging out, really.

lsvball33

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lsvball33
theangrybuddha wrote:Snape kills Katniss

hahahhaa

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
blue_94_trooper wrote:reply #1 - I read Romeo and Juliet and your gf told me I didn't need to see "West Side Story".

Reply #3 - Have you read Battle Royale with Cheese?

Ooh, ooh, is this like a multiple-choice test? #3 is obviously the correct answer. :-D

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

Alas, poor shirt.woot. I knew it well...

bubbachuck

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bubbachuck
cakeninjak wrote:But Battle Royale isn't a rip off of Theseus and the Minotaur at all, right? I mean, that only came out THOUSANDS of years before. Not to mention all the other stories that involve pitting people against one another in a fight to the death. Everything that came first automatically makes everything else a rip off, right?

I hate this logic.

In other news, in for two!

I didn't read Hunger Games, but the fact that the author didn't pass upon Battle Royale in her background research is troubling and makes me question her honesty. It would be another thing if she acknowledged she got her ideas from Battle Royale and gave credit where credit is due. BR and HG are a lot more similar than either is to Theseus/Minotaur or other "death arena" books/movies.

Fear denies faith

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
sickboy932 wrote:How would this look on an over weight middle aged dude like myself?

As long as you can avoid getting actual taco stains on the shirt, you should be fine. (I don't intend that in a mean way, btw - I am an overweight lady myself, and I know that it is hard to eat tacos without getting stuff on your shirt! Pro tip: it's slightly easier to keep the mess contained if you use a soft tortilla.)

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

Alas, poor shirt.woot. I knew it well...

Patman1209

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patman1209

Noticing the designer's location... I haven't read "Hunger Games"... and sadly I haven't made it here either

http://www.districttaco.com/

Washington, DC's (and arlington, va's) favorite food truck.

I haven't made it over yet (despite being in my neighborhood on saturdays) but its highly regarded.

Nightshooter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nightshooter

District 14 is found and they give everyone food
=]
Wait did you say dont ruin it?

Nightshooter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nightshooter
megnanimous wrote:You are my hero.

Its Ok though because katnis secretly asked him to kill her..

IamIreland

quality posts: 1 Private Messages IamIreland
hards7 wrote:I can't believe I'm going to explain this...

In the book there are 13 districts and they each produce something (3 is fishing, 12 is coal... etc.). Clearly, what the author is going for is sardonic humor. Like, "Wouldn't it be funny if there were 14 districts and in the 14th they produced Tacos!!!" Since Tacos are totally like something that is a life necessity... like coal, or electronics, or weapons.

Get it?

Oh. See, I assumed that was the joke, but it didn't really strike me as that funny, so I was looking for more. Thanks anyway.

~J