WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Think back to a time before you were such a disillusioned, pessimistic fool. Imagine how wondrous things seemed for you, a newborn, bright-eyed babe, and your adoring parents so overjoyed and optimistic at your future. Yes, it's been a long time since- What? Are you serious? You were born in 1992? Is that even possible? That should only make you, like, FIVE, right? Holy crap we're old. Okay, while we work through some existential angst, take a second to research the year you were born. Find out what was going on in the world, what people thought the future would hold, who was in the news and what the major events were. Then give us your send-up of the year in t-shirt form! And do it within just these two rules, since you break most of the others anyway:

No text only designs. You must have a graphical element.
You must title your design the year you were born.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 146 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Lol well there's no Star Wars rule. Sigh, something else must have happen in 1977.

thatrobert

quality posts: 28 Private Messages thatrobert

Then people will know I'm the oldest guy here...

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

I feel those of us with 1984 are pigeonholed...

spacegirlag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacegirlag

ooh! someone please be born in 1979! i have zero artistic talent, but that's the year i was born!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
thatrobert wrote:Then people will know I'm the oldest guy here...

And I'm the oldest gal.

dreadwood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dreadwood

This will definitely be interesting. But is anyone else thinking that there will be a relatively small market for the winners? Only so many people can be born in one year...

I guess in order to appeal to the masses you kind of need to detach your shirt from the year while still using elements from it? Meh.

Also yes, I was born in 1992. Sorry Woot.

spacegirlag

axphw1 wrote:I feel those of us with 1984 are pigeonholed...

no, you have a ton of cool stuff from that year. check it out:

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

I'm pretty sure that Fablefire's shirt that was a Legend of Zelda tribute was one of the winners last time.

Kinda curious if we'll get a lot of video game references or maybe something news headline related.

Intresting choice to revisit this particular derby theme.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Yikes... feels a little personal.

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets

Jimi Hendrix dies of barbiturate overdose in London
Janis Joplin dies in a cheap motel from a heroin overdose
Apollo 13 mission to moon abandoned
Paul McCartney announces that the Beatles have disbanded

Well, this outta be a great shirt. sigh.

Nothing follows.

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1
spacegirlag wrote:no, you have a ton of cool stuff from that year. check it out:

Cool stuff, but I was alluding to the rather famous novel by that name.

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd

Yay 1987! I'm not sure that anything exciting happened then, do you think anyone will get suspicious if I say I was born in say 1776 instead?

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
spacegirlag wrote:ooh! someone please be born in 1979! i have zero artistic talent, but that's the year i was born!

Right here, child of '79. MAN, why couldnt I have been born in 85 or something? <--loved the 80's. It appears 79 was RIFE with wartime stuff in the Middle East. Bleh!

But, there was 3 Mile Island, which was what inspired my 3-eyed squirrel ^_^.

Laureenmt

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Laureenmt

I was going to say that I would like to see our great designers choose ANY year, not just the year of their own birth.

But then I realized, that's what a collaborator is for! If anyone has a brilliant idea for 1960, I will be glad to share the credit!

(And I have now tagged myself as the oldest person here...)

sundbe10

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sundbe10

Ah yes, the original "Year you were born" derby was the first derby I ever entered, good times.

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

Are our birth certificates required? I could easily lie...

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
thatrobert wrote:Then people will know I'm the oldest guy here...

dibs on 1869!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Laureenmt wrote:I was going to say that I would like to see our great designers choose ANY year, not just the year of their own birth.

But then I realized, that's what a collaborator is for! If anyone has a brilliant idea for 1960, I will be glad to share the credit!

(And I have now tagged myself as the oldest person here...)

I was just refreshing myself on 1960 - lots of cool stuff that year, though nothing jumped out as being a cool shirt. And - oh yeah - not necessarily the oldest unless your birthday was in Jan - July of that year.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
no1 wrote:dibs on 1869!

no, wait. 1916 was better. yes, i was born in 1916. yeah, that's the ticket.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Envy me, 1980 baby!

I'm gonna have a blast!

polluxoil

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polluxoil

I'm '85, and a lot of fun stuff happened that year so I'm hoping somebody who is talented has that birth year too.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
omarfeliciano wrote:Envy me, 1980 baby!

I'm gonna have a blast!

You bastard!!! All you 80's kids can eat! <--jealous Why oh why did I get the butt end of the 70's? -pout- Tho wow, reading about 79, some really odd/neat stuff happened.

Also Star Trek the Movie was released. I smell a dual with Diana's Star Wars.... >:D

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
cherylfrancis wrote:Are our birth certificates required? I could easily lie...

Exactly.

move along

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Shoot. Well, there go my chances. People who are young enough to be Nintendo kids are gonna totally beat anything us old timers come up with.

But I'll still try to think of something I didn't submit during the last derby, to avoid resub fouls.

tanglewood512

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tanglewood512

Here is the link to the original Derby:

Derby #38 The Year You Were Born

Still kicking myself for never buying Fablefire's shirt before it was reckoned.

SkekTek

bassanimation wrote:Right here, child of '79. MAN, why couldnt I have been born in 85 or something? <--loved the 80's. It appears 79 was RIFE with wartime stuff in the Middle East. Bleh!

But, there was 3 Mile Island, which was what inspired my 3-eyed squirrel ^_^.

You totally gotta send up the Disco Demolition Night that happened in Chicago in 1979!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Great. The last time they ran this two Nintendo shirts printed. I expect about the same this time.

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

1978: the year of the Jim Jones massacre and Saturday Night Fever. Between the two, I think I'd rather do a Jim Jones design.

SkekTek

artulo wrote:Great. The last time they ran this two Nintendo shirts printed. I expect about the same this time.

I'm still bitter about getting 4th place, despite being 2 decades older than anything else in the top 6. No HM or anything. I loved that design.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

calling dibs now...
1974 the skeleton of Lucy discovered.
thinking of mashing it up with Lucy from Peanuts.

cherylfrancis

1966 was a violent year. Riots, civil rights, Charles Whitman climbing to the top of the University of Texas tower and shooting all those people, The Black Panthers formed, Bob Dylan had his motorcycle crash and The Beatles performed their last live concert. Nothing is standing out. Will we get axed for using celebrity likenesses?

dcroe05

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dcroe05
DianaSprinkle wrote:Lol well there's no Star Wars rule. Sigh, something else must have happen in 1977.

Star Wars, Apple, the Space Shuttle (test flight) and the Clash all debuted....but that's without looking it up so you'd better check me.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
DianaSprinkle wrote:Lol well there's no Star Wars rule. Sigh, something else must have happen in 1977.

Don't forget 1980 and 1983 (Empire + Jedi.)

Or pretty much any year since '81 for Mario references (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mario_video_games)

Same Potty Emergency!, different derby, as usual. (sigh)

cherylfrancis

Miranda Rights were established...hmm... Muhammad Ali refused to go to war. These would be great shirts, but why waste the effort?

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

yeah, honestly.
This derby may as well be "wide open derby", not text only. Pretend you were born that year, and if not, create an account that was.

move along

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape

What's to keep people from picking any year they want? One could easily work backwards, find an event/trend/whatever they want to do, then see what year it was from and then just say that they were born in that year.

I guess it's just the honor system then?

ETA: I typed too slow. See it's been brought up above ^^

cherylfrancis

ooohhh... Batman premiered on primetime television!! Can we use celebrity likenesses?

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138

- Watergate
- UPC code first used
- Ali v Foreman.. the Rumble in the Jungle
- Rubik's Cube was invented
- I was born

spacegirlag

axphw1 wrote:Cool stuff, but I was alluding to the rather famous novel by that name.

i know, my point was that you aren't pigeon-holed, because there was a lot of stuff happening during 1984. plus, that book was written in 1949, so you couldn't use that reference anyway.