cptgone

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cptgone

so sad midgerock's "1974" got rejected.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
bluejester wrote:
I think it's the mouth and protruding cheek bones. They are a little too realistic/well done. I know that others may scoff and say "so what's the problem with that," but it isn't so much about the ability that you've displayed here, so much as the...I don't know. I wish I could do a better job of putting this, because it really is a clever concept, I just think it errs to far on the side of creepy.

I also got the weird (instead of good) creepy from it, but I think it is because the mummy wasn't enough like a mummy. She looks more fresh dead than thousands of years dead.
Though it doesn't matter either way for me since I was never a fan of Schultz, so meh.

As for the rejection. That is very recognizable as Lucy. Maybe if you cut her dress and wrap her in linen and obscure her hair style some how. I think the bone structure/ face shape is enough for recognition. But that is a lot of work for maybes.

leprechaungirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leprechaungirl
wanderbug2 wrote:Interesting idea, but I'm pretty sure that phone is too new for that design. That nice portable handheld phone came along in the late '80's, IIRC.

Yeah ur gonna need like a bag phone or something

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
midgerock wrote:since the powers that be won't clarify the rejection and to find what part needs to change to make it acceptable and since the rejection reason was "Can't run this as is" which means something can be changed to be acceptable, what is it that needs to change? It's clearly uber parody. the skeleton vaguely looks like Lucy from peanuts... needs some help. Or perhaps tgentry can chime in.

Ugh, tough call. The hair and dress are the obvious things, along with the sign, but I'm stumped as to how to change it without losing the joke. Maybe, if you keep the sign, you can make her hair wispy (think Halloween skeleton hair) and change the design of the dress (and/or tatter it).

Dolemite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dolemite

"You must title your design the year you were born."

This rule was nice and bold, yet there seems to be a great deal of leeway. I guess as long as the number is in there?

Not that it would make a tinker's damn of a difference, but if I'd known I didn't have to just call mine "1973," I would have.

Humbug.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
midgerock wrote:since the powers that be won't clarify the rejection and to find what part needs to change to make it acceptable and since the rejection reason was "Can't run this as is" which means something can be changed to be acceptable, what is it that needs to change? It's clearly uber parody. the skeleton vaguely looks like Lucy from peanuts... needs some help. Or perhaps tgentry can chime in.

That is a tough one. Like others have said, obscuring the recognizable features enough to pass rejection would likely kill the joke. Try the suggested changes and see if it flies?

Actually, keep the dress and sign, make the head more like the actual mummy, and it should pass muster.

move along

Dolemite

I see you already submitted it, but I was thinking swap the sign for a football.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
j5 wrote:That is a tough one. Like others have said, obscuring the recognizable features enough to pass rejection would likely kill the joke. Try the suggested changes and see if it flies?

Actually, keep the dress and sign, make the head more like the actual mummy, and it should pass muster.

cptgone wrote:so sad midgerock's "1974" got rejected.

here's the tweaked version and hopefully this cuts the mustard.

lukas32

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lukas32

I need a good '92 shirt anyone making a '92? I haven't seen any I liked yet...and I think there were only 2 subs so far for 1992

spacegirlag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacegirlag

i hate that i can't draw!! i have a great idea for a 1979 shirt, and can't do a doggone thing about it. ::sad face:: darn you people and your artistic abilities! (just kidding, without you i wouldn't have woot shirts, and i love woot shirts)

nzieg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nzieg
bounty42 wrote:1978 - Thoughts

Year of the Horse
- Pinto's recalled by Ford for Exploding Gas Tanks

For the Pinto fans! ==>1970

It's not my entry but I can't think of anything other than shag carpeting that would represent 1970 better. Ooo! Ooo! maybe an unbuttoned shirt with a healthy patch of chest hair?

wanderbug2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wanderbug2
nzieg wrote:For the Pinto fans! ==>1970

It's not my entry but I can't think of anything other than shag carpeting that would represent 1970 better. Ooo! Ooo! maybe an unbuttoned shirt with a healthy patch of chest hair?

Not my year either, but I got curious so I looked it up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970

Fair number of moderately interesting things: Doonesbury, The Beatles Let it be, Black Sabbath (birth of heavy metal...."Paranoid" came out that year-hmmm, pinto paranoia???)
All My Children, The Who "Live at Leeds", Beatles break up, EPA formed, First Earth day....Apollo 13...Kent State

hardrockinmofo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hardrockinmofo

What? No entry for 1963? That's the dimension from whence I arrived.

So, it's official...I'm just a pigment of your imagination.

cptgone

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cptgone

if i had the skills, i'd draw these guys, in a 69 position:

(i'm a straight male, can't get g-a-y-er than that!)

ruthjhodsoll

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruthjhodsoll

This may be the best derby ever.... the older you are, the more the juxtaposition, the more experience, the better the designer... all of which create some really amazing designs! We're not even close to Thursday yet and already I'd buy five of the shirts in the fog. Sheer genius!

btw... 1977
so hoping we get an entry from the late 50s early 60s....

ruthjhodsoll

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruthjhodsoll

Couldn't agree more!!! Bring us orange!!

cptgone wrote:why is that anyway? orange is my favourite colour.

regularshmo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages regularshmo

what happened to the planet of the apes design?

gricomet

quality posts: 35 Private Messages gricomet

I hope at least one person born in 1900 submits a shirt. I'd be all over that.

fluttersby8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fluttersby8

BelyndaG

quality posts: 17 Private Messages BelyndaG
paigeg wrote:And I'm the oldest gal.

I doubt that! I suspect that I'm older than most everyone here. Not braggin' or anything.

jocw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jocw
Laureenmt wrote:I was going to say that I would like to see our great designers choose ANY year, not just the year of their own birth.

But then I realized, that's what a collaborator is for! If anyone has a brilliant idea for 1960, I will be glad to share the credit!

(And I have now tagged myself as the oldest person here...)

I have an idea for 1960, are you still looking to make a shirt? I wish I was an artist. I always have ideas but cannot execute them!

Dolemite

Currently there 4 shirts in the fog were submitted within 10 minutes of derby start. I also see two rejected-from-the-fog designs that were also submitted in the first 10 minutes.

This derby is certainly proof of "the sooner the better."

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Thanks for the kind thoughts crazydoglady, specsmachine, Bass. I quite literally couldn't even draw again until today, feeling a little better. Blurg. Hack. Flop.

I've made some goofiness that keeps my streak going. Best not to think about this one too much:

mobilebird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mobilebird

<~~~ Good Idea for a shirt... Not the best artist.... 1968! The first interracial kiss on TV!! Trekkie fans... was between _______ and Uhoura.

escapecar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages escapecar

I woke up this morning with a great idea for an iPod-ad-styled "Dylan Goes Electric" shirt to represent 1965.

But it's too late, and I can't draw anyway. Sigh.

rich5665

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rich5665

Wow. Nothing for 1965? The First and Second Space Walks, The Optical Disc is created and the creator of one of the best ever selling series of books is born. No wonder we're considered the lost generation...

MarlosTiger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MarlosTiger

Not a single one for 1975? Sad face.

pureval

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pureval

Seem to be a lot of rejects in this derby. Out of morbid curiosity, does anyone know what derby has the record for the most?

It puts the crap inside the bag or it gets the hose again.

w1111ams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages w1111ams

Fantastic Theme!

1966 = psychedelic

fourlane77

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77

...what would other people like to see as the next derby topic? personally, i think something like "illustrate a common saying without using text" could be interesting...

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.