glorinmann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glorinmann
ahilyard wrote:So the shirt will only be sold on here if it wins?

That's right.
If you really want to support this design, you can buy a shirt in the Reckoning, so then you will be able to vote for it... ; )

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: 1977: Who's In Control?

I was that kid! I loved Atari and that controller, just one button to worry about! GMV

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
Re: 1973 What's Your Function

This made me go hunt down the video and picture myself sitting in front of the TV with a bowl of cereal.

For what it's worth, the boxcars in the cartoon do have a bit of a peak to them.

tarmawolf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tarmawolf
deaaqua wrote:I'm surprised at all the hate and immaturity in these comments. You kids need to grow up, you're ruining the fun that is woot. Sure, this shirt may break the rules and that's bad, but the insults about the artist are totally unnecessary. You're hating on him because he's the most popular artist here, which is just ridiculous of you, this isn't high school. If you don't like his work then simply don't vote for it. No need to be rude and insulting. But in reality we all love his work and we all vote for it, which is why he is ALWAYS in the fog and constantly getting shirts printed.

How about the artist keeps doing his thing and YOU guys take a week off of commenting. Maybe it'll give you time to get over your petty jealously and insistent need to complain about everything.

As for the actual shirt, it's a great image, very well done. However, I can see it still getting into trouble, even with the edits.

There's no "fun" if an "artist" is taking legitimate work from someone else and recycling it as their own work. That's wrong and unoriginal, period. There are plenty of ways to create an homage to Batman without making it look like a straight comic book cover rip off.

It has nothing to do with the so-called popularity of the artist. I don't know ramyb from Adam. And no, it's not "reality" that all of us love him. Personally, I've seen one shirt design of his that I liked. The rest is less than impressive, honestly. But that's just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.

goneferal

quality posts: 19 Private Messages goneferal
petrosrex wrote:I hate to be the one that has to tell you this, but no one landed on the moon in '69. (Check the tapes here, man. You can see the stagehands in the background) That's just what "They" want you to think...

Just joking. Great design.

lol. You scared me at first, tho. Love the phases of the moon & the swagger too! I'll buy just about anything with an astronaut on it.

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality
deaaqua wrote:You're hating on him because he's the most popular artist here.

Stop that.

deaaqua wrote:ALWAYS

...I wanna be with you, make believe with you, and live in harmony, harmony, oh, ohhhh.

deaaqua wrote:Maybe it'll give you time to get over your petty jealously

And stop that, too.

No matter what one's opinion on Ramy is (I congratulate him for his success and his ability to market to his audience), pulling the 'YOU JES JEALOUS' card when someone brings forth criticism, even biting criticism, is just as, if not more childish and immature. One can dislike something for numerous reasons.

I also doubt the people who don't submit designs at all are THAT jealous of, er...Ramy having designs print? ;)

Astronomer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Astronomer
Re: 1986: Dark Side of the Moon

Technically, they saw the far side of the moon for the first time, not the dark side.

agenthelix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agenthelix
Re: 1989: Insanity

Besides just being a picture of Batman, which really is opening the site to a whole world of litigation since it's a for-profit enterprise, this design doesn't even really have much to do with the topic at hand.

Yes, Burton's Batman came out in 1989, but this image doesn't seem informed by that version of the character in any meaningful way. It's just a picture of Batman, as generic as possible, with nothing that would really clue a viewer in to the fact that it's meant to be an homage to the particular year that Batman was released in theaters.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
rogue8402 wrote:Its = possessive

It's = It is

This.

Also, woot isn't going to print a shirt with drugs on it, so prepare thyself for rejection!

Try to stick with PG-13 themes.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

zombienerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zombienerd

RE:deaaqua

>>I'm surprised at all the hate and immaturity in these comments.

You mean not everyone is offering buttpats and kisses? People have opinions and offer some criticism? Considering the derby is for profit, not just fun, criticism from a potential buyer is more relevant here than D'AWW THIS IS SOOOOO PRETTY Oh My Gookie! I WUV UUUU.

>>You kids need to grow up, you're ruining the fun that is woot.

It's not just fun. When a single artist can pull thousands of money every single week from a contest and they do it virtually every week, it's a job.

>>Sure, this shirt may break the rules and that's bad

EXACTLY. So what's good to say about it when it's blatantly breaking the rules and law? Why are you whiteknighting IP theft in a contest that could pay out so well?

>>You're hating on him because he's the most popular artist here, which is just ridiculous of you, this isn't high school.

OH no you didn't just pull U JES JEALOUSSSS. I don't submit art here. I'm not an artist, I'm a paying customer. I can have an opinion and it means more than some kid flailing around that IT'S NOT FAAAAAIR to be a meaniepoo and call someone on blatant theft. I also don't want to see the same freaking artist take 1st place every single week, whether or not the art merits it or not. People are voting for him because of his name and not the content.

>>If you don't like his work then simply don't vote for it.

I'm not voting on it. But the problem is that people ARE voting on it despite the theft. And that this submission is still here despite theft.

>>No need to be rude and insulting.

STOP STEALING Potty Emergency! is not rude or insulting. It's common sense.

>>But in reality we all love his work and we all vote for it, which is why he is ALWAYS in the fog and constantly getting shirts printed.

We love his work? NOPE. I don't. It's too simple, there's no artistic merit in his cookie cutter designs, and the only reason it gets votes from people not in his thrall is because he banks in on other people's IP. Zelda, Star Wars, Batman, something else made famous by the original creators. It's rare to see him submit a design that's not riding on someone else's thunder. He's profiting off of the creation of other people and it's that's bad.

>>How about the artist keeps doing his thing and YOU guys take a week off of commenting. Maybe it'll give you time to get over your petty jealously and insistent need to complain about everything.

Nope. I'm a customer, I have every right to offer feedback. Not every comment has to be BEST SHIRT EVAR.

>>As for the actual shirt, it's a great image, very well done. However, I can see it still getting into trouble, even with the edits.

No it's not. He had to butcher it and make it not-really-look-like-Batman to submit it at all. It's still blatant theft. There's no artistic merit in that and nothing to be proud of when it comes to stealing another's character and design.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: 1982 v2

I really like the theme and the execution, is that an actual size whale tooth?

infinity13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages infinity13
Re: 1974: Lucy Discovered

Love this design, my wife and I both voted for it. Hope it make it to the cloud. If this prints we will be buying for us and our Anthropologist friends... love it!

ronguiness

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ronguiness
Re: 1984

I will wear this shirt if I ever get recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-dan Armada.

Great shirt, made me happy.

pepeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pepeman
anemality wrote:You probably didn't do this intentionally, but I LOVE how he's all 'Haters gonna hate'.

Astro-Swag-Baby!

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 162 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
zombienerd wrote: You mean not everyone is offering buttpats and kisses? People have opinions and offer some criticism? Considering the derby is for profit, not just fun, criticism from a potential buyer is more relevant here than D'AWW THIS IS SOOOOO PRETTY Oh My Gookie! I WUV UUUU.

They probably also meant the comments that woot has deleted twice that were just attacks on the artist and not actually opinions on the shirt and its merit or lack there of.

palookaboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palookaboy

The really disappointing thing is that Ramy has had a pretty good streak of well-done, on-theme, rule-abiding designs. I'll admit I think the design itself is pretty cool. While technically it's on-theme, it's only barely so. This would be a more appropriate subject for an artist 50 years older than Ramy. And the obvious use of IP. There's no spin on Batman here: it's just Batman. Putting a few scratches in the ears doesn't change that.

robfuz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robfuz

Great Job Pepe! I will buy one!

Re: 1969 One small step for man

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
MadamAtom wrote:Near-opposite experience for me. My family subscribed to his SF magazine for years, and I read all his editorials. It was a couple of decades later before I realized what a major shaping force he'd been on my morality--more even than my parents in some ways.

GMV, obviously.

Actually Isaac Asimov inspired my wife to go into chemistry. It seems he was a shaping force for a lot of us...

shikausstan

Nitr1te wrote:Even though I'm not a fan of Big Macs, I like the shirt. I'd like it better if it more accurately represented a Big Mac; i.e. the bun in the middle of the mess.

I get it how it wouldn't flow with a jingle, but the representation bothers me :\

Yeah McDonalds are nuts about the order their sandwiches go in...as a kid I once got in trouble with a manager for putting a sandwich in the box turned 90 degrees to the right...seriously!!!!

meltedpopsicles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meltedpopsicles
Re: 1986

1986 representing!

shikausstan

mightyrain wrote:I try to make designs I would wear, I am just hoping it isn't too obscure.

No I like it. Sometimes I feel like the woot designs, even that win, are hard to wear. No one would get it unless they had seen the woot derby and since most haven't you end up looking like a Wakko...

kitwench

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kitwench
Re: Made in the shade in 1958

I don't care - I love it

ArdillaCiega

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ArdillaCiega

I don't know if this updated version has anything to do with the comment I made in the derby discussion thread, but either way, you earned my vote! Nice job solving the seven colors for seven pieces problem. Good luck; you deserve serious consideration for this.

(love your sig line, btw)

Even a blind squirrel is right twice a day.

ArdillaCiega

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ArdillaCiega
Re: Elvis Plumbing 1977

Yeah, this won't last.

Even a blind squirrel is right twice a day.

MJDeViant

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MJDeViant

I know, but he was president when Blade Runner came out.

Let the boring call you crazy.
Let the crazy call you boring.

srb122

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srb122
Re: 1978: Children of the Cabbage

Awesome design!!

cpresti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpresti
Re: 1981: MTV is here

Really cool! I think the text might be a little too weathered but I like your "M" TV.

Check out my Food design please!

thurdl01

quality posts: 11 Private Messages thurdl01
Re: 1939 the big bat was born

So exactly what year were you born?

cpresti

Re: 1985

I love these movies to death!

cpresti

Re: 1980 - Gopher Strikes Back RESUB

Oh! I just noticed the little details in the background! Nice touches!

fluttersby8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fluttersby8

I. Must. Have. This.

fourlane77

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77

Absolutely fantastic idea from a very under-rated movie! GMV!

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.

jsee1218

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsee1218
Re: 1989: Insanity

even though this is still recognizably batman, i like the design. it's dark and haunting. the glow and color of the moon are beautiful. i can see this one being rejected because of the whole batman thing, but i'm still happy ramyb decided to share it with us. i hope the other people who have commented on this design recognize that ramyb seems to put a lot of character into his designs (and no, i'm not part of the so-called "ramyb fan club". i don't even look at the designers names when i vote. i vote for the designs i would like to wear regardless of who designed it). ramyb says in his first comment that he has been dealing with some loss this week, and based on the darkness and character in this design, i can definitely believe it.

stridig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stridig
lisonallie wrote:it's my second derby entry so far so any suggestions are appreciated : )

I like the image, but it is to square and hard in the edges for my taste.

A bit more blurred in the edges, and maybe a more round shape, and I'd consider buying it.

katrinabean86

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katrinabean86
Re: 1997: The legend begins

Well, regardless of how similar the shirt looks to other shirts, I'm more surprised by the fact that someone was born in '97 and was able to use this as a theme. I feel ancient now. Was in 7th grade by the time they got to the US...

vstephenson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vstephenson

I do like it! Very creative and nice result.

vstephenson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vstephenson

Nice shirt idea. One of my favorite authors. I love his robot stories. Have you read his autobiography, "I. Asimov"? It's a fascinating read.

jsee1218

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsee1218
Re: 1939 the big bat was born

so the designer is...72/73 years old?

petrosrex

quality posts: 2 Private Messages petrosrex
vstephenson wrote:Nice shirt idea. One of my favorite authors. I love his robot stories. Have you read his autobiography, "I. Asimov"? It's a fascinating read.

I have not. I'm really starting to get back into his works. My grade school library had a decent selection of his non-fiction works, but I have not read much of his since then.

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
Re: 1997, first died

Wait, were you born in 1997 or 1984?