dfunk29

quality posts: 52 Private Messages dfunk29
Re: 1974: Lucy Discovered

This is awesome, as a fellow 1974 baby, happy to give that needed push! I'm also told I have "Lucy-like" personality traits. Must have!

dfunk29

quality posts: 52 Private Messages dfunk29
petrosrex wrote:Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?
Anyone?... Anyone?
Where are all the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, s***s, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, d***heads to vote for this shirt?

Yes! Awesome! I must have this shirt!! Love it!!!! Fave movie ever!!! Even love the commercial, please print!!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: 1989: Insanity

Sorry that I wasn't able to respond to comments on this design earlier, it's been a crazy weekend.

I just wanted to express my thoughts on a couple of things that were mentioned- I know this comment will not satisfy most people, but I figured I might as well explain my reasoning behind the design, etc.

So the first thing is the comments about being on or off topic. Given the success of this movie in its year, I thought it was a legitimate choice for the topic despite the fact that Batman himself predates it.

The visual I tried to create with this design is about seeing things in the shadows- the shapes on the moon are supposed to represent the silhouette of the joker's face, but perhaps I was either too subtle or just generally unsuccessful in creating that visual. The trees are growing in all directions, and I wanted sort of a general sense of chaos to be apparent. I think the mood of the design is representative of the film it pays homage to.

I didn't mean for it to be just a picture of batman, but can see now in hindsight the mistakes I made in creating this design. Despite this, and regardless of whether or not it gets rejected, it is still a piece of artwork that I created and I think it is pretty different from other things that I have done, and I'm glad I shared it. I worked on this design during a difficult day, and honestly wasn't thinking about IP or anything of that sort. I usually try to be careful not to overstep the line with my designs, but with this one I just had a visual I wanted to create and did it, and I figured I would let woot and its lawyers decide if it was acceptable. I didn't have the time, energy, or interest in creating another design, so I didn't. In a lot of ways, this was a week off from woot for me even though I made an entry. My design was here, but my mind was certainly elsewhere. I'm sorry to the people who are disappointed, I am thankful to the people who enjoyed the design and defended me, and will try to bring my full attention and A-game back next week.

dolliewar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolliewar
petrosrex wrote:Donniie has been reincarnated several times, in 1984, in 1985, and in 1997.
Who knows we may get more from previous or future lifes. Perhaps from Shakespeare's first performance or the end of the world?

I believe we all have a bit of 'hot wiring' from previous lives, those that can reach back and reuse old talents make up scientists,mathematicians, poets and and artists of today.

AuntieClo

fourlane77

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77
Re: 1989: Crack, its as innocent looking as candy!

Great quote- too funny.

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
j5 wrote:OK over exuberant moderators, I'll be less succinct.
Donniie, stop shoehorning the same handful of designs into every derby. This one in particular was already rejected because Woot can't print it.
Give it up, man.
For everyone else, here's Donniie's shirtwhat

How's that, mods?

Thanks, I was coming to do something similar. Of course, after his last Kenny-rejection I suggested he stop trying to submit a design woot can't print. Didn't work out then, I don't expect this time will be any different.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
crazydoglady wrote:Hey Donnie, did you read the rules? There are 3 designs almost in a rule all under the name Donnie, and they are for the years 1939, 1984, and 1993 - the derby theme is to create a design based on the year you were born.

That's because donniie has already submitted most of these designs in previous derbies, so it's not like he's actually making them for this derby. He also didn't care about them being on-topic for those derbies, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter this time.

aceon0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aceon0
Re: 1971-Floppy Diskette

Too funny! Just last week at work we were discussing the transition from punchcards to floppy disks, and how more than one of these new-fangled disks ended up with a staple through it... Doh!!

Yet another awesome design by firefrogh...sure hope you get a print soon!

petrosrex

quality posts: 1 Private Messages petrosrex
goneferal wrote:lol. You scared me at first, tho.

I was surprised that no one talked about conspiracy theories before me.
P.S. That video (the link in my original post) is one of most favorite videos of all time.

y2jza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages y2jza
Re: 1981: Get Vertical

FYI, the tank on the first shuttle was white. It was painted white to "match". To save weight they stopped painting it and left it its natural orange like you see today.

y2jza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages y2jza
y2jza wrote:FYI, the tank on the first shuttle was white. It was painted white to "match". To save weight they stopped painting it and left it its natural orange like you see today.

Love the shirt besides that. I hope you fix that and win!!! I'd buy several.

treethrower

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treethrower
fourlane77 wrote:Absolutely fantastic idea from a very under-rated movie! GMV!

Thanks guys! Was not sure if I was going to submit after Grammar Cat got rejected. Btw, what does GMC mean?

mightyrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain
Re: 1987

shikausstan wrote:No I like it. Sometimes I feel like the woot designs, even that win, are hard to wear. No one would get it unless they had seen the woot derby and since most haven't you end up looking like a Wakko...

No, I understand, I see many designs, that I would not wear... as art, they look cool, but not something I would wear at all.

aceon0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aceon0
treethrower wrote:Thanks guys! Was not sure if I was going to submit after Grammar Cat got rejected. Btw, what does GMC mean?

GMC = General Motors Co
GMV = Got My Vote

bermanator820

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bermanator820
lyonscc wrote:I wasn't referencing the album, I was ref'ing the Apollo 8 viewing of the dark side of the moon...

But you have the rainbows coming out the side of the moon. That feels very Pink Floyd to me.

pepeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pepeman
petrosrex wrote:I was surprised that no one talked about conspiracy theories before me.
P.S. That video (the link in my original post) is one of most favorite videos of all time.

Wow..I watched the video, I cant believe someone would walk right up to him in public and say that....Crazy Stuff

schroddie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schroddie

My husband was one of the people who made the Tetris Building. I have no choice but to vote for this tee-shirt!

petrosrex

quality posts: 1 Private Messages petrosrex
pepeman wrote:Wow..I watched the video, I cant believe someone would walk right up to him in public and say that....Crazy Stuff

Right before this, he was harassing Buzz with a Bible and trying to get him to swear on it. He was saying some nasty things and Buzz was fully justified. Indeed....Crazy Stuff.

ambassadorgrimm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ambassadorgrimm
cpresti wrote:I love these movies to death!

The best trilogy of all time. :D

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915
Re: 1974

1974 Jaws was published

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Re: 1989: Insanity

I'm going to caution people again to keep comments focused on the art and not the artist. There are many examples of how to give constructive criticism should you need assistance.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
Re: 1971-Floppy Diskette

Arggh. I love it, but it's totally unwearable for me in those colors. Unfortunate, because the colors are perfect for the design.

jarmec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jarmec

This is wonderful and pretty much sums up my two biggest obsessions growing up; Star Wars and Pac Man! I only wonder if Blinky needs the thumb over the shoulder shtick, you know? This design would also be great in 8-bit!.. though how that would be done.. hmm.. But I love it! 1980 was the best!

mhlyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhlyle
Re: 1957

Nice shirt! Finally one for my birth year!

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1
Re: 1994: Lion King

I love the movie (Musical's pretty cool too). I really like the color selection and the illustration too. I think it could do without the blades of grass, but maybe that's just me. Nonetheless got my vote.

axphw1

Re: 1992 - The Pope issues official apology to Galileo

I like that G.G. doesn't look away from his telescope to receive the apology. But what's coming out of the Pope's mouth?

axphw1

Re: 1993 simmy

I really loved that game. +1

treethrower

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treethrower
aceon0 wrote:GMC = General Motors Co
GMV = Got My Vote

Dang...stupid typos. Didn't even catch it. Thanks again guys!

dreamyvelvet

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dreamyvelvet
Re: Elvis Plumbing 1977

When it's time to go, it's time to go.

donniie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donniie
Re: 1985, the end of ducks

really grieve, I speak very badly English, and translations are rough, i have badly translated rules, and I did not know that it was year of birth grieved, problem of fair translation.

donniie

j 'ai taken away design non-connected with the topic

donniie

i taken away design non-connected with the topic

sodalite

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sodalite
Re: 1990

this is totally appropriate for 1990. as in the derby opening: "Find out what was going on in the world". the simpsons were an explosion in 1990, so this is right were it should be, imo. it's a really cool shirt, and it's surprising there are not more votes. it's great how it reflects a styling of the time and implies the picture.

donniie

Re: 1976

great idea ;)

donniie

Re: 1981 A Legend is Born

awesome ;)

kllangellier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kllangellier
stogieman wrote:NIce, but you should have used a younger version of Steve Jobs. (pre black turtleneck)

Is it bad that this reminds me of Ashton Kutcher? Also, Great design!

captainsuperdawg

quality posts: 14 Private Messages captainsuperdawg
Re: 1981 A Legend is Born

Is there any significance to the July 9 date on the calendar or am I just too detail oriented? Great shirt btw.

travey2face

quality posts: 1 Private Messages travey2face
Re: 1992: Ninjas 3

I would buy the hell out of this.

Crazee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Crazee
Re: 1986

This is the greatest shirt I've ever seen. I must have one!

werewolfskippy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages werewolfskippy

Thanks for all the awesome comments everyone!! :D
I really really appreciate all the feedback!

I have been a bit worried about whether people would be interested in space imagery and it's cool to see that some people still enjoy it.

I was inspired to do this design after reading about the Return to Flight Mission, and looking at images from the hubble space telescope.. I think it's pretty neat stuff.

I enjoy working with opacity and layering a lot, so I guess it makes a difficult print and I am still learning.. I did not use inverse halftones, and the design is 4 colors on black. As to how I did the halftones, this excellent tutorial on shirt woot has been my main source of information:
[url]http://shirt.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4532808[\url]