lisonallie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lisonallie
Re: 1993: Hubble time

1993, the year many ferries sank, the Hubble Space Telescope took its first corrected images after it's mishap, and people looked with eager eyes to the future.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: 1974: Lucy Discovered

Still twisted and Goodnight, everybody!ed up.

I'd still wear the hell out of it.

[re-voted]

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: 1989: RIP Salvador Dali

Lovely.

Vote!

cpresti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpresti
msgmissy wrote:This is beautiful! I only wish that the design itself wasn't enclosed by such a harsh vignette. Is there any way to tone it down (considerably) or somehow alter the design without the vignette altogether?

Thank you! The vignette is only harsh along the bottom, the sky is pretty soft, and the stars trail off the purple in some areas. I liked the ground to be a little more solid than the sky, but that's just my personal preference. If other people agree with you then I'll resubmit for sure, but I kind of like it as is right now.

Check out my Food design please!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
grahamcrackercoyote wrote:PotA was 1968??????

1973-Battle for The Planet of the Apes

Can't remember if the Statue of Liberty appeared in this one.

cpresti

omarfeliciano wrote:At least this giraffe isn't burning

I know someone that would LOVE this shirt. He named his son Dalí...

That's some dedication right there!

meedox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meedox
endangeredomega wrote:From Wookiepedia:
"Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes were an all-Bith music band, specializing in the fields of Jizz and Jatz."

[snickers like a 12 year old boy]

All the same, the shortening of the band name bugs my obsessive geek side.

The name shortening was purely a design choice. I meant no offense to Mr. Figrin D'an. Truly he's a music icon.

cpresti

Re: 1989: It's a Boy

Very well drawn! And I like your concept!

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: 1981

simple but very wearable.
dig it!

lisonallie

1993, the year many ferries sank, the Hubble Space Telescope took its first corrected images after it's mishap, and people looked with eager eyes to the future.

midgerock

Re: 1974: It's Alive!

one of the funniest Mel Brooks movies. Love it so much and those goggles are fantastic!

midgerock

Re: 1968: Food Was Cheap

very wearable and fun design!

midgerock

Re: 1973 The Future is Now

sweet design odroc!

midgerock

Re: 1985

very cute techno shirt.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
grahamcrackercoyote wrote:PotA was 1968??????

They put it all to bed in 1973, though their ending wasn't as satisfying as this.

chellemonkey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chellemonkey
Re: 1982

Aww I thought the text was on the shirt...then I wouldn't have to explain. Oh well, stil gmv

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: 1979
tjschaeffer wrote:Poor Gonzo, left out because he doesn't resemble anything...

I know... I thought he was a strange bird, but upon reading it turns out he is actually an extraterrestrial? His lady is in there to represent him though;)

Vote!

bmoroniw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmoroniw
Re: 1986 - I still Believe

Hooray for "Ignoring facts and believing everything!"

spacegirlag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacegirlag
missdoodle wrote:for spacegirl- I updated the top comment. 1985 Keira Knightley (Elizabeth Swann, Pirates of the Caribbean)was born

gotcha. thanks. love the pic (very well drawn), but was confused.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
endangeredomega wrote:Does it matter? "Oh My Gookie! something Nintendo-related! Must vote." [eyeroll]

It should...

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
omarfeliciano wrote:1973-Battle for The Planet of the Apes

Can't remember if the Statue of Liberty appeared in this one.

Nope - saw all of them with my brother in a marathon in '74 or '75 - the Statue of Liberty scene with Chuck heston screaming about folks blowing it up was the first one in '68. It may have appeared in Beneath [the second movie].

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
ApeLad wrote:They put it all to bed in 1973, though their ending wasn't as satisfying as this.

Love the shirt, but the famous Statue of liberty scene was in '68.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
omarfeliciano wrote:It should...

It should, but it won't. Shirt.woot has turned me into a cynical, cynical man ...

capsfanbryce

quality posts: 4 Private Messages capsfanbryce
Re: 1981

Well done design, very clean, simple, and speaks to the technologically gifted members of the Woot! community.

lisonallie

it's my second derby entry so far so any suggestions are appreciated : )

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
grahamcrackercoyote wrote:Love the shirt, but the famous Statue of liberty scene was in '68.

I am aware of that. Thank you.
As I implied, this is how I would have ended it in 1973.

msgmissy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages msgmissy
cpresti wrote:Thank you! The vignette is only harsh along the bottom, the sky is pretty soft, and the stars trail off the purple in some areas. I liked the ground to be a little more solid than the sky, but that's just my personal preference. If other people agree with you then I'll resubmit for sure, but I kind of like it as is right now.

Oh, when I used the term 'vignette', I was actually referring to the top portion (how the sky fades out). I really like the bottom portion and wondered if you could use the t-shirt colour as an element of the design - to give it more of a 'cleaner' look. To better explain myself, here's a couple of examples from a past derby to give you an idea to work from:

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=60405

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=60303

And forgive me, the vignette is just a personal pet peeve of mine and I'd say the same to anyone who had an outstanding design. This one has substance to it (unlike the usual pop culture entries) and would like to see it FOG.

tarmawolf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tarmawolf

Love it, love it, love it. This makes me giggle a lot.

nezzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nezzer
Re: 1960

Really nice style!

nezzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nezzer
Re: 1986

Cool glow effect and nice composition!

bmoroniw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmoroniw
perdita00 wrote:Nice

I agree on this I would totally wear it.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
perdita00 wrote:Nice

Thanks, I couldn't help but want to do a Nessie shirt.

kaleidoscopicfailure

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaleidoscopicfailure
Re: 1990 Resub

All right i cleaned it up a little bit. And by that i mean i dirtied it up alot.

Description: "Shockingly, I was born in 1990. That year we found "Sue" the most preserved T-rex skeleton to date.

We were also introduced to Mario's trusty steed, in Super Mario World!"

msgmissy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages msgmissy
Re: 1989: RIP Salvador Dali

I just realized that you were the same artist who designed 'Snowy Footprints' from the last derby - I seem to be drawn to your entries.

...With my last commentary on "Snowy Footprints", I focused only on what other Wooters saw as a problem - I didn't have the heart to mention my distaste for the vignette there either *hides under desk*.

For what it's worth, I rarely comment on Woot unless I want to see select entries succeed.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
jasneko wrote:I know... I thought he was a strange bird, but upon reading it turns out he is actually an extraterrestrial? His lady is in there to represent him though;)

I definitely dig the addition of Camilla! He was made into an alien in the not-so-great Muppets from Space. He was previously referred to as a "whatever" in The Great Muppet Caper, and also as a "weirdo" in Muppet Babies.

Either way I still love this design and will absolutely be buying it if it wins

cpresti

msgmissy wrote:I just realized that you were the same artist who designed 'Snowy Footprints' from the last derby - I seem to be drawn to your entries.

...With my last commentary on "Snowy Footprints", I focused only on what other Wooters saw as a problem - I didn't have the heart to mention my distaste for the vignette there either *hides under desk*.

For what it's worth, I rarely comment on Woot unless I want to see select entries succeed.

Thanks for all of the advice! Ending the design is always a problem for me, especially if it's an outside scene. I see what you mean about defining the shape, but all I can think to do is clouds at the top, lol. And I'm not really sure I'll do it justice.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: 1968: Y So Serious?

1968: Batman (the TV series) ends its 3-year run, before decades of syndication.

Srsly.

buzatron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buzatron
Re: 1968: Food Was Cheap

couldn't resist singing the song in my head! thanks alot for the song-jacking!

GMV ;)

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: 1974: Lucy Discovered

Love it! +1

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: 1982

Awww man, I wish this was firmly in the fog. I really like the little tie. Dangit, move back up!!!