+ Add a Comment

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

If you love everything about Shirt.Woot tees except the designs, then clear some room on your torso. Our Shooting Blanks event offers the same high-quality, all-cotton shirts we print on before we print on them – and we’re passing the savings on to you. Take your pick of any of 18 colors, or take your chances with a Random 3-Pack, all for way cheaper than the manufacturer’s retail price.

What’s the big idea? As we prepare to make some changes to our shirt supplier, we need to get these blanks out of the way. It’s a chance for you to add some versatile pieces to your wardrobe, and a chance for us to free up some warehouse space. Shooting Blanks will run through this Sunday, February 26, and shirts will ship beginning February 29. Come on and join the blank generation! Blank power!

Those of you who prefer to let your t-shirts do the talking: we will return to our regularly scheduled design-based events next week. And there’s always our selection of graphic tees available in the Reckoning to fill the void in your soul and on your chest.

Quality Posts

gricomet

quality posts: 35 Private Messages gricomet

Wow kind of a weird sale. So the singles are more expensive than randoms? Not sure if that makes sense of not (it kinda does and kinda doesn't).

jrs1980

quality posts: 29 Private Messages jrs1980

Are you guys going to stop using AA shirts? Will the color line-up be changing?

Basically: WHAT'S GOING ONNNNNN?!?!?!!

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

dfunk29

quality posts: 47 Private Messages dfunk29

This is the story of my reproductive career, or should I say my soon-to-be Ex-husband's. And it has nothing to do with it!

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj

Woohoo, blank Ts! Brings back memories of this classic Woot shirt.

Here's hoping any "new supplier" has shirts that are made in America and the same high-quality of the American Apparel shirts. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, Woot, since I love you, but don't disappoint!

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

" As we prepare to make some changes to our shirt supplier" ...

Ummm ... I'm not sure I like the sound of that.

bluejester

quality posts: 564 Private Messages bluejester

"As we prepare to make some changes to our shirt supplier..."

This quote right here has me worried. A big part of the reason that I wasn't kicking up a stink about the price increase on the dailies was because I knew you guys were still using American A. Blanks. What is the new supplier?

I hope I don't sound corny here, but I liked that you guys were buying American manufactured goods.

What gives?

dfunk29

quality posts: 47 Private Messages dfunk29
Narfcake wrote:" As we prepare to make some changes to our shirt supplier" ...

Sounds ominous! I like AA!

4khaos

quality posts: 8 Private Messages 4khaos

I guess this is the end of Woot for me. AA shirts are great quality and actually fit me well - everything else I own is too baggy or short!

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

I'm not happy either. Woot are using my blank shirt design without artist credit or commission.

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24
gricomet wrote:Wow kind of a weird sale. So the singles are more expensive than randoms? Not sure if that makes sense of not (it kinda does and kinda doesn't).

Three for $15?

gricomet

quality posts: 35 Private Messages gricomet

Skimmed the write up so missed that. Not a fan of changing from AA. And after a price increase? The AA ones breath so well, too.

rogue8402

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rogue8402

But I like AA shirts! *sadface*

jbhswim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jbhswim

I like that Woot is offering blank shirts, but I HATE that they are switching to a different supplier. First, they raise the price, and now they're switching?

I've worn woot shirts nonstop for the past 5 months and anything other than a woot shirt doesn't feel right!

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez

Now this storyline is one I am interested in following.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

Yay! As we switch suppliers to lower quality blanks not produced for a living wage in a foreign country, and we'll still be selling them at the increased cost!

Yayayayayayayay!

zosai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai

Definitely don't like the sound of this. Also, AA has strict rules about not selling un-embellished shirts for less than their retail price. how does that happen?

strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

bluejester

Are we all going to be left sitting around remembering "The good ol' days" when woot used quality blanks?

Can we get a staffer response? Tgentry? T. Thighs? I don't mean to sound all alarmist here, but it does make me feel a little errgh in my heart to know that the suppliers might change.

danephewx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danephewx

I’m in agreement with you, one reason we support Woot is because of the American made shirts. Might be the last for a lot of us. Hope not.

i4k20c

quality posts: 0 Private Messages i4k20c

Ugh..really?

part of the reason I buy woot shirts is b/c they are AA.

i'm glad they are selling these at a good price, but these may be some of the last woot shirts i buy. =/

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo

score yo. if american apparel, this is a sweet as deal.

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

The transition will be predicated on how quickly we can work through the stock, but I'm anticipating the announcement later this week. Change is never easy, but I hope to reassure that we'll be maintaining the same quality and workmanship you've come to expect.

mrwednesday

bluejester wrote:There's enough heartfelt, genuine concern in this thread without you jackass-trolling your way around it. Buzz off.

You think I'm not concerned? There could be a reasonable explanation for this but here are two things to think about. I initially thought that this might have been due to AA finally crumbling but they were financially rescued last year and their sales are up so they don't appear to be going anywhere. The second is can you name another blank manufacturer that produces them in the US?

There is one other outside shot that might be an improvement. Amazon wants into the clothing business and is going to be making their own blanks here in the US from here on out. This could even lead to a price drop. That would be pretty amazing news but I'm not holding my breath.

Edit:

I also find it to be ominous that Joel has just assured us that the quality won't drop, but no mention of price and or production locale......

lonelypond

quality posts: 423 Private Messages lonelypond
joelterrific wrote:The transition will be predicated on how quickly we can work through the stock, but I'm anticipating the announcement later this week. Change is never easy, but I hope to reassure that we'll be maintaining the same quality and workmanship you've come to expect.

The carrot: buy the shirts quick + we'll tell you. Ah, shirt.woot!, so the drama ; )

letsgoskatepool

quality posts: 2 Private Messages letsgoskatepool
joelterrific wrote:The transition will be predicated on how quickly we can work through the stock, but I'm anticipating the announcement later this week. Change is never easy, but I hope to reassure that we'll be maintaining the same quality and workmanship you've come to expect.

So what you are saying is that no one should buy blanks so that we maximize our time with AA shirts? Too bad I already scooped some up.

bluejester

mrwednesday wrote:You think I'm not concerned? There could be a reasonable explanation for this but here are two things to think about. I initially thought that this might have been due to AA finally crumbling but they were financially rescued last year and their sales are up so they don't appear to be going anywhere. The second is can you name another blank manufacturer that produces them in the US?

There is one other outside shot that might be an improvement. Amazon wants into the clothing business and is going to be making their own blanks here in the US from here on out. This could even lead to a price drop. That would be pretty amazing news but I'm not holding my breath.

Edit:

I also find it to be ominous that Joel has just assured us that the quality won't drop, but no mention of price and or production locale......

If this is how you genuinely felt, then please post this rather than the other comment. The first comment you fired off was unispired snark. This response here though actually tells me--and others--why you're concerned, but frankly, it leaves me baffled as to why you didn't just talk this way in the first place.

mrwednesday

letsgoskatepool wrote:So what you are saying is that no one should buy blanks so that we maximize our time with AA shirts? Too bad I already scooped some up.

I forsee a lot more dailies on creme for no other reason than they don't expect to sell many blanks much to the detriment of the designs in question.

bluejester

It would be nice if there was another option on the purchase screen where you can create your own three set grab bag of shirts. I think that there's a lot of us in the community who still fully supported woot, even with the price increase.

If you're phasing out AA, why not at least offer the option to us of making our own discount three pack, especially if the goal is to deplete your current supply? I bet it would help you go through them a bit quicker, plus it would be a nice bone to throw to those of us who have shown the support.

Just my thoughts.

mrwednesday

bluejester wrote:If this is how you genuinely felt, then please post this rather than the other comment. The first comment you fired off was unispired snark. This response here though actually tells me--and others--why you're concerned, but frankly, it leaves me baffled as to why you didn't just talk this way in the first place.

As a happy denizen of the inter webs I've seen many companies do about faces recently and it's not a result of people gracefully consigning themselves to change. Maybe a bit premature but people should be outraged that woot is about to outsource their blanks. Woot is community driven at all levels and certain things should not be done behind closed doors. You're more than welcome to give the benefit of the doubt where it isn't deserved but also don't expect a favorable outcome.

AJLo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AJLo

After raising prices, if they move away from high quality shirts, or shirts that are made in the USA... I'm afraid shirt.woot will lose my business...

We have a good thing going, but I'm worried that woot is starting to take their customers for granted.

dfaris

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dfaris

Hey, so when I add three to my cart, the price shows up as $23.97 not 14.99. Does the extra come out in the wash when I press BUY?

lpsession

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lpsession
dfaris wrote:Hey, so when I add three to my cart, the price shows up as $23.97 not 14.99. Does the extra come out in the wash when I press BUY?

No, you're choosing 3 blank shirts so you'd have to pay the full $7.99 each. It's only $14.99 if you specifically buy the random 3 pack, found here.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

I don't doubt the workmanship of other brands. But for all the jobs that have been lost here in the US because corporations were looking more for their own bottom line than the bottom line of all those that are affected ... no.

There was a discussion last month over at deals.woot, which overwhelmingly, folks are expressing that they would rather pay more for USA made.

If the new supplier is Royal Apparel, then fine - they're made in the USA too. Some product lines from Bella/Canvas are made in the USA too, but I doubt they are any more cost effective than AA.

bluejester

Narfcake wrote:I don't doubt the workmanship of other brands. But for all the jobs that have been lost here in the US because corporations were looking more for their own bottom line than the bottom line of all those that are affected ... no.

There was a discussion last month over at deals.woot, which overwhelmingly, folks are expressing that they would rather pay more for USA made.

If the new supplier is Royal Apparel, then fine - they're made in the USA too.

If they went to royal apparel that would be okay for the most part. Although I still am a bit sad that they are changing blanks after these years.

StealthMonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StealthMonkey

I am scared. One of the biggest factors in me getting woot shirts is the shirt itself. The materials and build are great. So comfy. I just can't wear other t-shirts anymore. If the quality/softness goes down, I don't care how cool the designs are, I'll move on. Please don't move to some scratchy, poorly made, awful crap like everyone else.

tsero4

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tsero4

Won't Buy if not made in America. That is final.

Edit: the new shirts are made in Honduras so I guess no more Woot shirts for me.

jezebelseven

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jezebelseven

Count me in with the every-person who's nervous about this. I've grown to really like the AA blanks and how they fit me. Only just started trying to order from a few other companies that size range doesn't go as large, and while some of their 2x fit me, the quality isn't up to par. Some too thick and scratchy, some soft but too thin and I'm scared to wash them on the gentle cycle. I presume 3x will still be an available size?

Ugh, I'm going to hate ordering something blind size-wise again. I don't really have the money to spend on something I can't return, and swapping for sizes is kind of difficult.

Trade with me on TeeTrade!
THINK OF THE PATHOGENS!!!

maxayala

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maxayala

The quality of the American Apparel shirts were the main reason that I bought from here. It's nice to have the opportunity to purchase them really cheaply now, but between the price increase and the soon-to-be-unknown quality / fit of the new shirts, I'll be hesitant to buy in the future.

johnpaul12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnpaul12

I'm going to have to chime in here a well. I am quite fond of the AA shirts. I will certainly be hesitant to buy the shirts without having quite a bit of community feedback regarding the fit and quality of the new brand that will be used. I'm sure Woot! is not going to intentionally destroy their shirt business by going with an inferior product, but it would be nice to be able to buy American made products.

tracergod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tracergod

*facepalm* Don't pull a netflix!

Same as everyone else. Stay with american made or no more woot shirts for me.