CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

I did the Pepsi Challenge on the shirts turning them inside out and trying to choose 4/8 that could have been my 3 anvil shirts... See what happened...

I am currently just grading the shirts based on quality right now. I will tell you how the move to anvil will affect my buying habits when I publish my full review on the shirts at the end of this week.

computermd82

quality posts: 31 Private Messages computermd82

Finally got to take a few pictures.

1) Once washed AA MM over Unwashed Anvil MM (Sorry, didn't have any unwashed MM to compare to)

2) Unwashed AA MXL over Unwashed Anvil MXL. Very little difference, but the Anvil is roomier in the shoulders/neck.

3) Same as No. 2, upside down. You can see the loss in length here.

4) Difference in collar size between the 2 MM sizes (Green is Anvil)

5) Difference in collar size between the 2 MXL sizes (Green is Anvil) (Difference is greater here)

6)Just for giggles, Washed twice AA ML over Unwashed AA ML. This is the reason I moved to an XL.

I haven't washed any of the Anvil shirts yet, just received them of course, but I will be watching how they shrink, and will post pics. It's worth noting that they feel almost identical. My biggest gripe so far is the stretchy collar.

Thank you for the test shirts Woot!

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

lonelypond

quality posts: 417 Private Messages lonelypond

New goal: become more of an influencer so I get fun stuff in the mail. Or I can just continue to polish my snappy patter, healing the hurt with time ; ) Doesn't sound like my size choice will be changing, although I am now curious about whether my nieces will fit in women's sizes now instead of MM + MS.

Note to self: post things in the right thread and/ or get more sleep.

Invisiblemoose

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Invisiblemoose
computermd82 wrote:I don't have any other brand of shirts that do this. Take Old Navy shirts, I have some more than 5 years old, washed dozens of times, they still fit as they did when I bought them. What will happen to my Woot shirts after dozens of cycles?

They're 100% cotton, not magic. They don't shrink to nothing, they stop shrinking after the first few washes.

mpasquale wrote:Women's Anvil blanks offer a much better fit.

I don't know where you're seeing that. Seems like a mixed bag to me, at best.

speedogirl2

quality posts: 28 Private Messages speedogirl2
chennai8 wrote:I think this whole outcry matters more because of the price increase. Even though $2.00 is not much, You don't increase price AND change the product.

Interesting that your comment reminds me of the netflix debacle....

Brigot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Brigot

Well, I won't be buying any more Woot Shirts...

bullthumper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bullthumper
thumperchick wrote:Sorry guys, while the product may still be good, I'm going to be hard-pressed to spend my cash here. Part of the appeal for me was supporting ethical, home-grown jobs for Americans.

BTW - you may want to update your FAQ, it is no longer true.

I agree 100 %. I live in Eastern Alabama and frequently drive by the mills that have been closed in the past 15 years.

Reminders of what WAS produced here and the jobs that have been sent to other countries are right now being torn down. However, even after they are long gone, I will remember!

Please return to your Made in USA product. That was one thing that made doing business with Woot very appealing to me.

http://www.thecomputerarchive.com Preserving the history of the companies and products that advanced the computer revolution

johnj189

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnj189

Can I get XL-Tall? I've been waiting for XL-Tall shirts F-O-R-E-V-E-R!

Please? Seriously.

Nothin' like raising your arms up and the shirt becomes a half-shirt.

Narfcake

quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
johnj189 wrote:Can I get XL-Tall? I've been waiting for XL-Tall shirts F-O-R-E-V-E-R!

Please? Seriously.

Nothin' like raising your arms up and the shirt becomes a half-shirt.

Nope - the imported blanks are even shorter now.

Narfcake

bullthumper wrote:I agree 100 %. I live in Eastern Alabama and frequently drive by the mills that have been closed in the past 15 years.

Reminders of what WAS produced here and the jobs that have been sent to other countries are right now being torn down. However, even after they are long gone, I will remember!

Please return to your Made in USA product. That was one thing that made doing business with Woot very appealing to me.

Sadly, in their quest for the bottom line, corporate doesn't care.

Today's shirt (1981) is printed on the imported blanks for the guys. I'm not buying.

unavaca

quality posts: 6 Private Messages unavaca

Argh, that's a bummer. I'm pretty disappointed by this change.

In my experience, my Anvil shirts don't wash nearly as well as my AA shirts do. Specifically, once my Anvil shirts stretch (either due to wear and tear or because of hang drying), they never really bounce back to shape. My AA ones recover much better. For this reason, Anvil shirts are usually relegated to full time gym shirt duty way too early.

I'm sad to say that I'm done with Shirt Woots now. I still have 3 year old shirt Woots in rotation; at this point, I wonder if the new shirts would even last a year.

1971 Floppy is my last Shirt Woot

dirtywhoremouth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dirtywhoremouth

Ah that's so sad. I just found Woot a few months ago and I've been buying steadily since then. I was happy that they used an American company to print on and I love the feel of AA shirts. That combined with the fun designs were a hit with me. The increase to $12 didn't even bother me as I bought most of my shirts after the fact at the $15 price...

I'm sad to say this wooter will no longer be wooting.

Send me an email if you go back to AA and I'll be back.

stevenschuhly

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stevenschuhly

Oh my Woot!, we've certainly come to a debacle haven't we.

I've loved and supported shirt.woot for about four years now, and have loved every single shirt I have received like it was my next of kin. As a bigger guy (At 6'4" I already buy the 3XL shirts) the decrease in length scares me a bit. I understand that the consensus is that the new shirts shrink less, but this brings me to my next question; Woot!, why no tall option?

I know that this has been brought up multiple times throughout the years, previously AA did not manufacture tall sizes, but I don't understand why a tall option can't be offered with the switch to Anvil. I would certainly pay $2-3 more per shirt (that's about what it cost at any retail store), and don't tell me that you wouldn't sell them, because you already stock baby sizes and there's no way you sell too many of those.

I just want to be able to support this community and the artists behind the works, and I don't seem to be getting shorter any time soon.

Regards.

bixmaschine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bixmaschine

wow. anvil, huh? and I really wanted to drop $12 on todays shirt. many have mentioned how uncomfortable anvils raspy shirts are, and if the price had gone down maybe I could see buying one. I really liked the AA shirts; im female and they always fit just fine for me. haven't bought anything since the price change though and really can't see myself ever adding another awkwardly fitting, scratchy necked, stiff fabriced, poorly printed anvil shirt to my closet, no matter what you try and print on it. so long and thanks for all the fishes

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

The Anvil shirts feel the same as the AA. Not scratchy, not heavy. This is based on actually having samples from Woot, not other Anvil products.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

raccoonbacon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages raccoonbacon

There was a post earlier that stated hat the new shirts are Anvil style 980. Can anybody confirm this?

Also, can anybody that has received the new blanks take a picture of he tags? I would like to see what the information (regarding style number) there is (for the men's sizes).

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Two tags. One has just Woot info, the other has washing info, 100% cotton, not for use as pants. Only number on it is rn # 136107.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Mavyn wrote:The Anvil shirts feel the same as the AA. Not scratchy, not heavy. This is based on actually having samples from Woot, not other Anvil products.

Agreed. The material is really soft and nice. Don't worry about that!

coreylamb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coreylamb

Well I can honestly say I will no longer be a customer.. I have an order in for 2x 3 packs of the AA blanks & after that arrives I am done. Anvil shirts are complete crap. I paid a premium over other sites to get the AA quality & fit, Anvil has neither.

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

I'm sad that Shirt.Woot is leaving AA, But I'm optimistic about Anvil. Hope they'll fit better. I'll buy today's shirt to test and see.

And if you're really getting anvil cheaper, it wouldn't hurt to revert back to $10 again you know...

Narfcake

Mavyn wrote:... Only number on it is rn # 136107.

Registered Identification Number Database results:

RN 136107 WOOT, INC

SpastasticNomadic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpastasticNomadic

I've read through most of this and I'm still unsure on a couple of things.

When will the switch to the new Anvil blanks take place for the women? Has it already?

And why is this information on the switch so hidden? I never read the write-ups (sorry.) and only found that blanks were switching by being bored on a Sunday morning and browsing the forums. That little box at the end of the write-up is not sufficient for ordering customers to be aware that the sizing and shirts are now completely different. From a customer standpoint, this info really, really needs to be located up near that "I want one" button.

Judging by the information posted by the women that received blanks (thank you, girls), I will no longer be able to order from woot. At 5'10", the shirts were already bordering on too short for me (especially when on the bike), and now the shirts will just be too wide for me as well. Appreciate the extra room for the boobs, but I like my shirts to hug my waist and hips and it appears these just like to balloon out & shrink up. No good.

ceotty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceotty
SpastasticNomadic wrote:When will the switch to the new Anvil blanks take place for the women? Has it already?

It seems to depend. So far there's only been one shirt printed that used Anvil blanks for women. It's been announced in the corresponding discussion threads what blanks are being used, but I agree that box down by the sizing chart is not really the best warning. I don't think most people (i.e., first time buyers) read the write-ups to be honest.

— Cyndy Otty —
http://gentlewit.com

aderus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aderus
ProfHotpants wrote:The chest fit is identical to our current Men's blanks, and the length change is less than 1/2 inch. These blanks actually shrink less than our previous ones.

I have to express dismay here- the Anvil shirts I've bought before use and inferior thread and have sleeves that result in a messy, flappy arm. Unless I bump my arms up to 20" diameter, these shirts are destined for the sleeveless stack, to be used for nothing more than comfort around the house on warm days.

Y'all might have made a bad decision here- your designs are fantastic, but the manufacturer choice is questionable at best.

raccoonbacon

Mavyn wrote:Two tags. One has just Woot info, the other has washing info, 100% cotton, not for use as pants. Only number on it is rn # 136107.

Thank You Mavyn and Narfcake!

Lanicoise

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lanicoise

This change to a non-Made in the USA shirt really diminishes my opinion of shirt.woot.
The fact that they're shorter now makes this news even more difficult for me to swallow.

JJrodny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JJrodny
JenDupre wrote:Well there we go. I don't know. The made in USA was the biggest selling point.

I agree, and I want Woot to know that too.

JJrodny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JJrodny
mrwednesday wrote:So the short version is that you're outsourcing your blanks so that you can fund pet projects that operate at a loss because they aren't popular enough to be sustainable? And you're doing all of this at the expense of your core business and values?

I am completely serious when I say please point me to the part of this decision that makes sense.....

I agree, instead of a business model that looks to expand (home.woot?) or cut costs by providing inferior products, Why not stick with what works and focusing on providing great products and services.

raccoonbacon

FWIW: I bought a shirt from theyetee.com and ordered it the same size as I order through shirt.woot. When I received this other shirt, I could immediately tell that it was shorter in length and all around wider than my woot shirts. I tried it on once and just figured that I would use it as a sleep shirt; it was just not something that I would want to wear in public because it didn't fit “right”.

I was deciding what Woot t-shirt to wear the other day and that Yetee shirt was one that I rifled through. I stopped to take a look at the tag and low and behold, it is an Anvil T that has many similar properties to the AA shirts.

I was going over the post that mpasquale wrote and saw that the new Anvil shirts are (apparently) style #980. Just for S&Gs, I decided to see what t-shirts Yetee uses and went to the site that they have linked for who prints their shirts (threadbird.com). I browsed to the crew necks for apparel printing, looked for the 100% ring spun cotton section and the only Anvil shirt that is listed is the 980. Bummer.

I know that the way they fit is going to be all about personal preference. I am 6'6” and weigh 240 lbs. The AA shirts (when ordered 2XL) fit perfectly; they had the right length for someone with a longer upper torso, the right room for broad shoulders and the right width for someone with a little bit of a rounder stomach (smiley face).

The Anvil shirt that was from the other t-shirt company is noticeably shorter and seems like it is extra wide (maybe it is just the one shirt that I got that was made too wide, but for me it is all about the length, anyway). The collar also seems much larger (I think that Computermd82 had a picture, #5 I believe, that showed the Anvil collar was noticeably larger). I prefer to have a shirt where the collar stays tight(er) to the neck; the Anvil does not have that.

The softness is the same and I have no doubt that there will be many people that like the new shirts. I, for one, will not.

It is a bummer that the change has been made. I am going to order randoms the next time to either confirm or deny what I might have already found out. If the new Anvils are what I think they are, it doesn't make sense to order something that I am not going to wear...

dreamaster

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dreamaster

Can anyone mail me or let us know publicly when the AA blanks for men are finished?

I'll be blocking my paypal and randomizing my password at woot in order to be hack free when I quit buying at woot.

The woot offs are crap now (in my opinion), I won't be able to buy American made t-shirts, and if I am just patient I can get what I want cheaper if I wait a month or so.

It's been a seriously great ride Woot - up until the last year or so.

Maeven, I owe you an apology. Sorry I was such a jerk. Poof lady, TT, and all the rest of the classy old timers - fare thee well, I can't stay at a place that not only jumped the shark, but swerved around to do it again.

Peace.

Cheetoh's rock!

Lemmings rule!

//ignites flamethrower

Narfcake

dreamaster wrote:Can anyone mail me or let us know publicly when the AA blanks for men are finished? ...

By what it seems, it's going to be at least another week or two. So don't change your password just yet ...

Black, they're low for the men's - otherwise, A Lot Of This Is Going Around and today's 1981 wouldn't be on Anvil.

Kelly green, they're low on kid's - Shhhhhhh has those on the Anvil blanks already.

Grass green, I think they're low on all of them.

For the other colors, it's too early to say. Without It Came Out Of Nowhere anymore, they certainly have an overstock of heather gray, so I expect some more designs on that to be sold through the special events in the next month or two.

The reason for the sale of blanks this week is so that they can get rid of them through the random shirt shirts the next time around too. Which I'll be in for 6 again then, but afterwards, maybe not.

Keep watch in the weekly reckoning thread ... the numbers nerds will be keeping track.

daytona200

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daytona200

Just throwing in my .02 (late I know). I am not thrilled with raising prices while finding a cheaper supplier. But I work for a very large company. I understand that somethings the public arm of the company can change, but many times, you get the bad news and have to deliver it.

The made in USA was a plus, but not the only reason I bought from shirt.woot. I like the fit of the shirts, and quality (except for 1, which got a hole after 2 washes. Sad, but it happens).

As long as the design is good, and the shirt still feels good and fits, I'll still buy. Prices always have to go up. Timing could have been better, but what's done is done. Staffers, this thread is exactly why I don't work in a customer service role. The dissenters are always the most vocal. Keep that in mind, and have a nice day.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
Narfcake wrote:Nope - the imported blanks are even shorter now.

So because the new blanks are shorter, woot will therefore not offer new sizes? I don't follow...

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
bixmaschine wrote:wow. anvil, huh? and I really wanted to drop $12 on todays shirt. many have mentioned how uncomfortable anvils raspy shirts are,

While I can't speak as to how shirts fit any individual person, every single person who has gotten some from woot's new specific lines (the 980 and something else) has commented that they're just as good as AA in terms of feel/softness. And virtually everyone who called them raspy/scratchy etc hasn't said what number shirt they had/wasn't talking about a woot shirt. I totally understand making your own choices and fit being an important factor too, but it seems like the softness/feel is actually great.

elfgirlniko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elfgirlniko

Ok, after reading a few pages I still don't see this question:

If I get something from the reckoning, which blank will be used?

rogue8402

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rogue8402
elfgirlniko wrote:Ok, after reading a few pages I still don't see this question:

Check the sizing chart posted on the shirt-that-you-want-to-order's page.

Narfcake

elfgirlniko wrote:Ok, after reading a few pages I still don't see this question:

A majority of them are on AA blanks. The only one I know of that's not right now is Shhhhhh - the kids sizes are on the Anvil blanks.

Narfcake

Darquis wrote:So because the new blanks are shorter, woot will therefore not offer new sizes? I don't follow...

They would've done it in the past if they wanted to already. Just like they could've offered W2XL too if they wanted to ... but they didn't.

The issue with the new blanks is that they're oversized now, so they really need a WXS instead. Otherwise, they're pretty much throwing out all the former WS and WM sales away, as the new WS is almost comparable to the former WL.

elfgirlniko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elfgirlniko

Thank you both for responding!

I doubt I'll have the patience (with two small ones running around) to check the charts of the shirts I've already ordered. Thankfully if Narfcake is right I'll be getting all AA anyway (which is what I wanted).

...trying to load up while I can...

zypherion

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zypherion

Hate to join the bandwagon, but I can't condone this.

To break it down:

I could have tolerated a price increase.
I could have tolerated (but not liked) cheaper shirts.
I could have tolerated (but not liked) offshore labor.
I CANNOT tolerate all three.

I love my woot shirts (all 15), even the randoms I don't care for get worn on a regular basis under button downs. Honestly I probably wouldn't even notice the difference in blanks, I didn't know the word "blanks" existed in that context prior to this thread, but your not gonna charge me more for cheaper labor and materials. That's an ethics thing.

So long shirt.woot.com:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jzzJ0XbDoY&t=0m20s

Tim J Otto