Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
chennai8 wrote:I guess, llandar is the "Face of shirt.woot" now. His response is probably more entertaining to Woot staff than us.



I think they're hilarious. I don't work for woot at all.

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

vegghead6572 wrote:Im confused they were switching to Anvil right?...why did the new shirt come with AA tags? The AA shirt (new one) fits horribly so that means all my others shirts I have been buying were not AA how is that possible?..so confused now and not sure I want to buy from woot anymore .... old shirts that were not AA over 14 of them fit fine...now I get one with AA tags and it fits horribly...



Please email service@woot.com with your issue. Make sure to include your order number, a thorough description of your issue, and links to a couple of photos--maybe the tags and some comparing the new shirt sizing/shape to some of your old ones. That's not required, but it will definitely help customer service help you by providing as much info as possible. If you do send photos, please send them as hosted links, not as attachments--those tend to bounce off the woot email server forcefields. Good luck!

bluetuba


quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba
Darquis wrote:I think they're hilarious. I don't work for woot at all.



Not only do I think they are hilarious and personally appreciate just a tiny bit of levity within all this drama, I'm getting sick of all the people whining and blaming him for all their issues with the shirt change and everything else.

Llandar can't fix their problems, and isn't paid to hold their hands and pat them on the head. He's a writer, not a PR rep.

I've had to restrain myself from posting about it because I don't really want to appear to be defending Woot on the shirt issues, I'm not happy with the current state of affairs either. But getting all bloodthirsty gangland on a snarky writer rubs me the wrong way.

bck9900


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bck9900
bluetuba wrote:rubs me the wrong way.



And how do you like to be rubbed?

dreamaster


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dreamaster

I have steel wool.

dilettante


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dilettante

Decided to order the 'Too Many Cooks' design and let the shirt speak for itself.

I order ML for the AA, and ordered ML for the new shirt. It's looser around the shoulders and tighter around the torso, which looks ok, but is not as comfortable as the AA which was form fitting everywhere, but not in a "too tight" way.

The fabric is clearly not crap, but is also not as soft as the AA blanks I've gotten used to. In fact, where it's tight it feels a bit scratchy.

So, I'll probably be among those that scavenges from AA designs from the reckoning that I've been mulling, then MAYBE a must-have design in the future.

Finally, as a web designer, I know it would be incredibly simple to add something to alert the world about the new supplier. Even if it wasn't, one of the questions that SHOULD have been explored when this decision was in the pipe was "how do we convey this message to our buyers?" There was plenty of time to engineer this... perhaps you need to hire? (Should I throw my hat into the ring?)

The initial spec for usability was clearly to make it easy to shop without going "below the fold," I didn't even notice the clever writeups until I had a few shirts behind my belt.

Oh well, the cold hard truth is that Woot is doing well enough that if everyone on this thread bailed, they wouldn't miss us.

niks


quality posts: 1 Private Messages niks
bluetuba wrote:Not only do I think they are hilarious and personally appreciate just a tiny bit of levity within all this drama, I'm getting sick of all the people whining and blaming him for all their issues with the shirt change and everything else.

Llandar can't fix their problems, and isn't paid to hold their hands and pat them on the head. He's a writer, not a PR rep.

I've had to restrain myself from posting about it because I don't really want to appear to be defending Woot on the shirt issues, I'm not happy with the current state of affairs either. But getting all bloodthirsty gangland on a snarky writer rubs me the wrong way.



I am sorry - I am not blaming llandar at all.
It is more of a situation where let's say your boss would come around and just fired a bunch of your colleagues, and you try to justify it to the others and point out made up excuses. No surprise they will be p***ed at you...

CaptainDDL


quality posts: 2 Private Messages CaptainDDL
llandar wrote:No matter what YOU say, it's more about the limited options in our site layout.



Ahahahahahahahahahaha. That's hilarious. Shows how much you guys really care about leading your customers astray.

As a web develeper, I love your point that it is soooooo incredibly difficult to make a change to a site layout. Just another excuse so that Woot doesn't lose anymore sales. Figures.

Woot execs would probably fire everyone if they had a banner saying:

"We are too cheap to buy American t-shirt blanks, so all new shirts are bought in Honduras! Hurrah outsourcing!!! They fit crappy, especially for you tall people, and the blanks only cost us half the price - immediately after we jacked up the price you pay! Woot!!"


Anyways I've posted my suggestions and comments in another thread already, and Woot & their staffers don't seem to care a bit about our concerns...we all figured this was going to happen when Amazon took over.

Funny thing is, I still love Amazon...Woot sure is screwing the pooch on this one though.

smileyborg


quality posts: 2 Private Messages smileyborg

I finally became aware of this blog post today. I jumped in on the AA blanks closeout deal, snatched up 3x3 randoms and 1x Royal Blue tee. I had a bad feeling about the news that was to come, and sure enough, I was right.

American Apparel was the reason I started buying Woot Shirts back in 2007. My first shirt was "Sea Chimp" on 7/26/07. Over 4.5 years later, I've purchased a grand total of 43 shirts from Shirt.Woot. I've been pleased with the vast majority of them.

When friends and family get a chance to experience how much better AA blanks are than every other shirt on the market, they are always in total and complete agreement that they are worth the extra cost. I can't even count the number of people I have turned on to both Shirt.Woot and AA just from shirts that I have ordered.

It's a tremendous shame to see Woot switching to Anvil. No matter how much they try to justify the change, the shirts will not be the same, and I will no longer be interested in ordering them.

I'm very disappointed with this news. I would gladly have paid $15 or even close to $20 to have the AA shirts continued -- they are absolutely worth the price. But unless AA is revived as the supplier of Shirt.Woot blanks, this marks the end of a long, happy relationship for me.

I'm sorry Woot, but I can't accept such a fundamental move away from the product you originally sold me on.

lozerette


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lozerette
ThunderThighs wrote:I'm also posting the blanks info in the discussion thread for every shirt until the transition is complete.


That doesn't change the fact that it's not displayed on the initial screen. If you can buy it from the initial screen, the info should be on the initial screen. A link at the top instead of the bottom would even be sufficient.

llandar wrote:No matter what YOU say, it's more about the limited options in our site layout.


Putting the box at the top of the description is really that big of a deal? Creating one of the banners you guys regularly use to advertise other things is too difficult? Anyone that can Google "HTML" could show you how to put a link at the top.

karentompros


quality posts: 0 Private Messages karentompros

Taking Shirt Woot off my bookmarks toolbar. I will miss clicking each day to look for shirts for my husband and sons, but I am very unhappy about the switch to a lower quality shirt. Like many who have posted I associate ANVIL with free shirts we get for events, walks, teams... not with something I buy as a luxury. I had the sizing figured out and knew what to expect with American Apparel. I'm done.

homicidalmama


quality posts: 0 Private Messages homicidalmama

Dear Awesome Woot Staff & Big Wigs,

I realize you need to maintain a certain profit margin and I strongly feel your staff should NOT have to forgo raises to maintain that margin just to keep masses of Woot Addicts happy.

That being said, a potential solution for the American Made vs Other than American Made would be to give the masses of Shirt.Woot Addicts the option to choose the brand at the time of purchase (I will gladly pay a touch more for American Made!).

I do appreciate that you ensured the factories for Anvil met your standards but they do not meet my personal standard nor those of my family.

We are by no means your biggest customer so the few hundred we spend on your site each year isn't crucial to your bottom line and offers you no real incentive to listen to my suggestion but I sure hope you do cuz it is FUN to wear your shirts and super EASY to order from you all and until now I have never had a reason to complain or be dissatisfied.

Good Luck with all of this!

Peace
Homicidal Mama


dreamaster


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dreamaster

The ANVIL is going to crush my goal of a different shirt to work every work day - I went 6 months in my new job without wearing the same t-shirt twice, I have almost 150 woot shirts.


That's one way to break an addiction!

Narfcake


quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
dreamaster wrote:The ANVIL is going to crush my goal of a different shirt to work every work day - I went 6 months in my new job without wearing the same t-shirt twice, I have almost 150 woot shirts.

That's one way to break an addiction!


Tell me about it. I'm somewhere north of 250 unique ones (and definitely over 300 total).

The move definitely means I actually have a very good shot of keeping my laughable New Year's resolution.

ageoffroyi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ageoffroyi

I have to say that I'm one of those that bought shirt.woot shirts because they were USA made. This changeover will thrill my wife who was angry at my shirt a week buying habit.

Tegeril


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Tegeril

Well, I have 44 shirt woot purchases on my account back from nearly the very beginning. A few were gifts, but most were for me.

Judging by the photos of various shirts so far, I don't see how I'm going to like the fit of the Anvil size options. AA mens medium, once washed and dried was absolutely perfect in both girth and length for me (5'11.5" 170lbs). The smalls fit perfectly in the exact same way for the person I bought them for (5'8" 138lbs). So the Anvil shirts are shorter but shrink less -in length- so that balances out; but, they get -wider- when they shrink.

I don't want to be a balloon and I think 44 may have been my last Woot shirt =\

swpruitt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages swpruitt

It's been a good run, and I'm grateful for over 50 shirts that worked just as well in winter as undershirts. They lasted well, the necks stayed true, and they were the most comfortable t-shirts I've ever owned. And most were pretty clever.

I'm still a Woot fan, but this change has helped me break my shirt habit. I may still pick up an occasional shirt for the kids. I avoid every t-shirt in my closet that isn't AA--I can tell the difference by feel. Sorry to see you go. AA was the primary selling point for me.

oddparity


quality posts: 0 Private Messages oddparity
dreamaster wrote:I can assure you that after reviewing the source code of the page that loads in the browser, I can find several areas when a tag "Made in America" or "poorly Made in honduras" can be added.



Sure, in the past it would have been easy to make a change like that, but unfortunately all the back-end programming is now handled by a single work experience kid in Honduras...

Anyway, I'm out - I've unsubscribed from the newsletter and RSS feed. I gave it a week or so to see comments from people who have tried the new shirts, and from what I can tell the fit is inferior to the old shirts. (For me - YMMV of course). I'm picky about clothes, and I can get ill-fitting shirts for free anyway.

bck9900


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bck9900

Woot- Are you going to continue to ignore your former customers? Should we become more vocal? We are not happy with the change.

elankat


quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
bck9900 wrote:Woot- Are you going to continue to ignore your former customers? Should we become more vocal? We are not happy with the change.



Vocal won't change a thing. They'll ignore it until it impacts the bottom line in a significant manner.

waldojim


quality posts: 0 Private Messages waldojim

Well, I am among those with 45 shirts to my name. Dating back to early 2008. When Woot announced the price increase, I was ok with that. We get to keep our US suppliers of top quality shirts. If Woot needed to increase the price a tad more, I would have still been OK with that. If anything, my buying has been ramping up more and more lately.

Sadly, this news has put my purchasing on an abrupt halt. Sorry woot, but until I get an email telling me you switched back to a US based supplier (meaning proudly made in the USA again), then I am no longer buying shirts here.

This economy blows. I understand this affects us all. But buying from the Honduras is not the answer.

Send me the email IF or when you return to a US based supplier, and I will happily throw more money at Woot shirts.

nitemarerevenge


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nitemarerevenge

As a pretty big and tall guy myself, I think this change may provide an opportunity to sell "tall" shirts which are much more comfortable for guys my size.

Are there going to be additional options for this? I would gladly pay a little extra for a longer shirt!

pvtrounstine


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pvtrounstine

Anvil lady-cut shirts- built for women with BOOBS.

American Apparel lady-cut shirts- built for boys or young women with A-cups.

I am excited for the changes!!

pvtrounstine


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pvtrounstine

I'm reading a lot of comments about Anvil and USA vs. American Apparel and USA... You guys should really read up on Dov Charney, because I don't think it's such a great company to work for. I sure as HELL wouldn't want my boss sidling up to me in his underwear.

elankat


quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
pvtrounstine wrote:Anvil lady-cut shirts- built for women with BOOBS.

American Apparel lady-cut shirts- built for boys or young women with A-cups.

I am excited for the changes!!




Have you looked at some of the pics women have posted modeling the new Anvil shirts? I wouldn't be too excited. Yes, they have more room in the chest. They also fit like shapeless tents below them, are short, and have a lot of weirdness in the arms & shoulders.

tim1024


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tim1024

Just received my 75th shirt from Woot (wow), what happened to the shirts? The shirt is a crappy Honduras made scratchy shirt. It does not fit right. Is shirt Woot pulling a Netflix? Price increases for a lesser product? Add me to the list of lost customers.

caramelarrow


quality posts: 13 Private Messages caramelarrow
pvtrounstine wrote:I'm reading a lot of comments about Anvil and USA vs. American Apparel and USA... You guys should really read up on Dov Charney, because I don't think it's such a great company to work for. I sure as HELL wouldn't want my boss sidling up to me in his underwear.




But Woot did not have to stay with AA to stay with "Made in the USA." There are other manufacturers here (but perhaps not for long if companies like Woot continue to take their business elsewhere). I bought my first Woot shirt because it said "Made in the USA." The design that I saw on my screen drew me to Woot to take a closer look, but what made me click the Big Button was the "Made in the USA" part. Now the shirts will no longer say that and I am sad. So this isn't a matter of supporting the questionable owner of AA or not, this is a matter of supporting USA made products or not. Woot has chosen NOT.

heidiruth


quality posts: 12 Private Messages heidiruth
pvtrounstine wrote:Anvil lady-cut shirts- built for women with BOOBS.

American Apparel lady-cut shirts- built for boys or young women with A-cups.

I am excited for the changes!!



You should definitely check out some of the pics women have posted of the new blanks.

It's not good. Even for the boob-blessed.

chemnerd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chemnerd
pvtrounstine wrote:Anvil lady-cut shirts- built for women with BOOBS.

American Apparel lady-cut shirts- built for boys or young women with A-cups.

I am excited for the changes!!



And in exchange for it fitting your boobs better it will hang off you like a poncho. Every single picture I've seen of a woman with the new anvil shirts is completely unflattering - it looks like when my girlfriends where my shirts to bed, not a thing that's attractive at all.

And I'll have you know I've bought several woot shirts for girlfriends of mine with considerably larger breasts than an A cup and they've actually been some of the better shirts I've ever seen them in because they aren't too tight in the chest and they don't hang like said ponchos. You just have to go up a size (or two), but that's clear from the sizing charts. Or was.

WalterTangoFoxtrot


quality posts: 1 Private Messages WalterTangoFoxtrot

I realize this topic is probably dead to the woot staff, but I will be joining the throngs of people who will no longer do business with Woot. Hover over my square, and you will see I've made a significant number of items, including over 100 shirts.

Why raise prices and claim you're doing it so you can stay with an American company, then immediately run out and get a sweatshop to make your shirts? If unionized labor in Honduras is so good, why are Hondurans risking death to sneak through Mexico, to get into America?

All I know is it reeks here now, and I'm not going to pretend no one ---- on the floor.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Why are so many people still confused and claiming the price change was needed to stay with an American blank producer?

Woot never said that. Customers did.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Mavyn wrote:Why are so many people still confused and claiming the price change was needed to stay with an American blank producer?

Woot never said that. Customers did.



True. But it was said repeatedly and pretty much all over the place; enough that woot almost had to be aware that was the general perception of the customers, and they chose not to correct the misunderstanding.

Narfcake


quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
Josephus wrote:True. But it was said repeatedly and pretty much all over the place; enough that woot almost had to be aware that was the general perception of the customers, and they chose not to correct the misunderstanding.



When they increased the price, this is what they said:

"The sad fact is, nothing in our business - blank shirts, ink, labor, shipping - is getting any cheaper."

That implies remaining with AA, as Anvil blanks cost LESS. The lack of followup to the very next post, in which I say "no qualms", supports this implication.

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
bck9900 wrote:Woot- Are you going to continue to ignore your former customers? Should we become more vocal? We are not happy with the change.



Well, what do you want? They responded here to concerns, they sent out shirts to some vocal members of the forum, they aren't ignoring people. They're also not changing back to AA just because a bunch of people complain on the forums.


On an unrelated note, I know woot would never do it, but it'd be nice to see how many people who have said they quit forever end up buying more shirts anyway.

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
Narfcake wrote:When they increased the price, this is what they said:

"The sad fact is, nothing in our business - blank shirts, ink, labor, shipping - is getting any cheaper."

That implies remaining with AA, as Anvil blanks cost LESS. The lack of followup to the very next post, in which I say "no qualms", supports this implication.



No it doesn't. It outright says their costs are increasing. Just because they increased day 1 costs (and one thing that hasn't been mentioned enough - they haven't changed after day 1 sales cost at all) to offset that doesn't mean there was any sort of agreement, implied or otherwise, that nothing else would change. The other half of this is that a lot of posters are zeroing in on cost as if it were the only consideration, when it isn't.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Darquis wrote:No it doesn't. It outright says their costs are increasing. Just because they increased day 1 costs (and one thing that hasn't been mentioned enough - they haven't changed after day 1 sales cost at all) to offset that doesn't mean there was any sort of agreement, implied or otherwise, that nothing else would change. The other half of this is that a lot of posters are zeroing in on cost as if it were the only consideration, when it isn't.



Wow.....that's some expert analysis. You know, I've got this terrific bridge I'd like to sell you. If you act fast I'll throw in a free monorail.

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
mrwednesday wrote:Wow.....that's some expert analysis. You know, I've got this terrific bridge I'd like to sell you. If you act fast I'll throw in a free monorail.



Oh right, I forgot, it's a big conspiracy behind closed doors at shirt.woot to screw over the customers because if there's one thing shirt.woot is known for, it's hating the customer.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Darquis wrote:Oh right, I forgot, it's a big conspiracy behind closed doors at shirt.woot to screw over the customers because if there's one thing shirt.woot is known for, it's hating the customer.



When you raise prices and state that it is because your current materials are increasing in cost and specifically mention them by name (blanks in this case), and then sit and listen while the community breathes a sigh of relief that the materials won't change and say nothing all the while knowing you are about to announce a change in the supplier to a less desirable one it is at the very best disingenuous. You're unbelievably naive if you can convince yourself otherwise.

So about that bridge......

WalterTangoFoxtrot


quality posts: 1 Private Messages WalterTangoFoxtrot
Darquis wrote:No it doesn't. It outright says their costs are increasing. Just because they increased day 1 costs (and one thing that hasn't been mentioned enough - they haven't changed after day 1 sales cost at all) to offset that doesn't mean there was any sort of agreement, implied or otherwise, that nothing else would change. The other half of this is that a lot of posters are zeroing in on cost as if it were the only consideration, when it isn't.



I'm not sure if you're a Lawyer or something, but while it was not specifically stated they wouldn't change away from an American Made Blank producer, several other threads have staff members (orange/white boxers) stating they would rather pay the extra $2 than switch to a foreign company.

Call me an ass, but Raising prices on something, then dropping the USA banner down a month later, is 100% crap. If the $2 increase was to offset material costs, then the materials were changed to a lower cost provider, shouldn't said savings be dumped back against the price increase?

The more important problem here is not me paying more for a shirt, that's made on Anvil Shirts (I have some 15 year old Anvils that I wear around when welding, changing oil, car work, etc that still have stretch, and color to them, so quality is not the issue here) its that they are literally dumping an American company, and therefore threatening the jobs of several other citizens in this country's way of life, and well being.

How many shirts a week did woot go through? looking at some of the graphs, and lists provided by other people who track that, we'll say 3500 to 6500 blanks a week, depending on shirt quality. If each worker can sew together say 200 shirts a day, then Woot's decision literally put between 15 and 30 shirt sewing jobs on the line, not to mention the weave loom operators for those shirts, not to mention the cotton separation and dying unit on the line. Ripple affect, could extend over 40 jobs that are no longer necessary because Woot decided to outsource to Nicaragua. (AA is a 100% vertical intergrated company: Cotton bales arrive, they dye it, turn it into thread, turn the thread into cloth, turn the cloth into shirts)

If they would have sourced to another American country, then at least the displaced workers from AA could have potentially had a shot at re-hire at another shirt factory in the country. Instead, that's 15 to 40 jobs that will never ever exist in this country again.

That's why I'm pissed.

solidstiles


quality posts: 3 Private Messages solidstiles
Darquis wrote:Well, what do you want? They responded here to concerns, they sent out shirts to some vocal members of the forum, they aren't ignoring people. They're also not changing back to AA just because a bunch of people complain on the forums.



THIS. This is what kills me about this thread. I wish wooters would realize that very few companies would be so involved with their customer base to the point of even bothering to start a discussion about this. It's a business decision, not a personal attack on someone's American pride.

Furthermore, most companies would likely make a change like this without ANY real notice, let alone open up themselves to criticism in an attempt to gather feedback from the community. Woot has gone above and beyond with regard to community involvement surrounding this change. For that reason, they will continue to earn my business.

And let me be clear: In no way am I saying that anyone shouldn't stick to their guns and vote with their wallet. I think it's respectable when people deprive themselves of something they enjoy on a matter of principle. But actually expecting Woot to say, "lol okay we'll go back to AA blanks, brb" seems a little bit ludicrous.