dreamaster


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dreamaster

The History of every major Galactic Civilization tends to pass through three distinct and recognizable phases, those of Survival, Inquiry and Sophistication, otherwise known as the How, Why and Where phases.
"For instance, the first phase is characterized by the question How can we eat? the second by the question Why do we eat? and the third by the question Where shall we have lunch?"

Unfortunately, we're in the unwanted fourth phase characterized by the sentence "I bought the restaurant and exchanged the meat with gravel" which is known as "Screw the other phases, I want more long pig".

So my apologies , but as the dolphins so eloquently performed - "So long, and thanks for all the fish".

kittybongo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kittybongo

Interesting how today's daily has no big yellow warning box about checking the sizing chart at all. I guess Woot figures everyone knows about the switch by now?

aemely


quality posts: 5 Private Messages aemely

Meh, I never liked the AA shirts. I live in the Southeast, and I can't line dry anything without it turning into mildew city. The more recent AA shirts had this nasty habit of the bottom seam wrinkling up beyond belief. I feel strongly that I shouldn't have to IRON a t-shirt to wear on my day off of work. Ergh! Here's hoping the Anvil shirts are better!

waldojim


quality posts: 0 Private Messages waldojim
Darquis wrote:Well, what do you want? They responded here to concerns, they sent out shirts to some vocal members of the forum, they aren't ignoring people. They're also not changing back to AA just because a bunch of people complain on the forums.


On an unrelated note, I know woot would never do it, but it'd be nice to see how many people who have said they quit forever end up buying more shirts anyway.



Yep, I am one of them. I have bought more shirts. Only because they were AA blanks though. When they stop rocking AA blanks, I stop wooting. I already passed on shirts I wanted, and will continue to pass on them if they have Anvil blanks.

Not everyone is capable of stopping themselves from buying. I am.

adamselby


quality posts: 2 Private Messages adamselby

I got my first Anvil blank (The Avegers), and I must say I am pleasantly surprised! The quality is fairly close to AA, and the fit isn't bad. I like it. I don't like the fact that it had to change, but if it had to then this is acceptable.

BUT, that said, the price increase is a slap in the face. Woot increased its profits, and then charged us more too? What kind of crap is that?

Narfcake


quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
waldojim wrote:Not everyone is capable of stopping themselves from buying. I am.


I did NOT buy 5 shirts because of the switch.

Purchasing Woot shirts has been a "luxury", as it's not like I'm going to go naked without them. Taking away the a very key aspect of that (made in the USA) is taking away a very key reason to keep purchasing them.

Today's (uniCONE) is on an AA blank (for guys). One will make its way into my closet.

waldojim


quality posts: 0 Private Messages waldojim
Narfcake wrote:Today's (uniCONE) is on an AA blank (for guys). One will make its way into my closet.



Same here! I was way to excited when I found out it was on AA blanks.

elankat


quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
Narfcake wrote:I did NOT buy 5 shirts because of the switch.

Purchasing Woot shirts has been a "luxury", as it's not like I'm going to go naked without them. Taking away the a very key aspect of that (made in the USA) is taking away a very key reason to keep purchasing them.

Today's (uniCONE) is on an AA blank (for guys). One will make its way into my closet.



I wonder why it's on AA when the past 2 days of shirts (also on Asphalt) are all Anvil. I really wish yesterday's shirt had been on AA. It would have been a purchase for me if it had been.

WalterTangoFoxtrot


quality posts: 1 Private Messages WalterTangoFoxtrot
elankat wrote:I wonder why it's on AA when the past 2 days of shirts (also on Asphalt) are all Anvil. I really wish yesterday's shirt had been on AA. It would have been a purchase for me if it had been.



Perhaps they merely are no longer announcing the difference in blanks anymore, since it has been "Almost a month" since the change, and everyone should be well aware of it. To say the least, there were half a dozen shirts, including today's (too short) I would have bought in a heartbeat, had they not switched to sweatshop shirts.

Having been "Right sized" out of 2 jobs, and quitting before they had a chance to "Allow further explorations into expanding my career horizons external of the company infrastructure" a 3rd time, mixed with the fact I work for a call center where the biggest fear is having my job exported to a Southeast Asian country, means I will not support companies that decide to outsource in the name of "keeping profit margins up." I mean come on, phase 1, raise prices.... Phase 2, outsource shirts to a 3rd world country that alegedly isn't that bad to live in, phase 3... Profit?

No thanks. I realize staff* doesn't much care about the squeak of a single person, and the 2 or 3 dozen shirts I won't buy in the near future Won't be missed, but when people ask where I got my shirts, I'll no longer direct them here, rather I'll say "from a company I no longer can morally do business with." Considering I own enough woot shirts to wear a different one, every day of the week, from now until July, means I get a lot of commentary on my wardrobe, but again, the managerial types who can make a difference don't care, and the ones who do, aren't high enough up the pole to get heard.

*(I'm sure some of the staff cares. )

Edit: If you check the sizing chart, it specifically says in that the blanks are from Honduras. its an Anvil blank, but woot no longer feels a need to tell people up front in bold that they are done with AA shirts.

elankat


quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
WalterTangoFoxtrot wrote:
Edit: If you check the sizing chart, it specifically says in that the blanks are from Honduras. its an Anvil blank, but woot no longer feels a need to tell people up front in bold that they are done with AA shirts.



Actually, the chart for Unicone says that Mens are USA, which is what I'm talking about. All the other Asphalt tees (4 now in 4 days) list as Anvil.

In other words, I have a feeling Narfcake might be getting an Anvil Unicone.

Narfcake


quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
elankat wrote:Actually, the chart for Unicone says that Mens are USA, which is what I'm talking about. All the other Asphalt tees (4 now in 4 days) list as Anvil.

In other words, I have a feeling Narfcake might be getting an Anvil Unicone.



BAH!

If so, service will be getting another email. I took screen shots of the sizing chart, so I have proof of what I ordered.

If not, which is what I hope the true outcome is, then my guess is that they felt they still had enough blanks to experiment if there's is indeed a sales effect by it all. Not the first time they "experimented" with the "naysayers" ...

Contrary to popular belief, better judgment, and the advice of our physician we at Shirt.Woot sometimes read the forums. And yes, we see the small, incredibly vocal minority screaming and howling for “artistic” shirts.

First things first: if you want your argument to have any credibility at all you have to accept that “artistic” is not defined by you. It’s also not defined by the absence of a joke. A well-executed stab at humor is still artistic, just like beautiful music is artistic. What you’re actually arguing for are less jokey-shirts.

And you know what? We agree with you. It’s true! When we saw this design we were all, “Wow, that’s awesome. And there’s not even a Mario Bros. reference hastily-added.”

But for all the hating you guys do, you’re still the minority. Even worse, the vast majority of people swing by our site, buy a cutesy shirt, and don’t even bother to read your diatribe in the forums. So you’re left in your own little echo chamber yelling at each other and the few masochists who hang out there about how this is so terrible that good shirts never get voted up in Derbies and bad shirts always sell out.

Well, here’s your chance to put your money where your keyboard is. Buy this shirt. It’s a great shirt, and we don’t just say that because we’re selling it. No puns, no beady-eyed anime creatures, no video game references, no cliche “geek” humor. Just a simple, artistic expression rendered expertly.

We’ll check in later tonight to see how you’re progressing. Obviously, this being a great shirt, we’ll expect a sellout. Otherwise you guys would be forced to admit that more people tend to go for cutesy joke shirts and that maybe you should just get over yourselves. And we’re pretty sure none of you have any intention of ever doing that.


That was the writeup for one of the shirts (that I have). Which sold during a woot-off last year. Which is on the rarities list ...

elankat


quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
Narfcake wrote:If not, which is what I hope the true outcome is, then my guess is that they felt they still had enough blanks to experiment if there's is indeed a sales effect by it all. Not the first time they "experimented" with the "naysayers" ...



Wish they'd experimented with some of the women's blanks because there were at least 2 shirts this week I would have bought on AA (and that actually made me sad they weren't) and another 2 that I would have strongly been considering.

xb1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xb1

After 4+ years getting Woot shirts (even the early non-AA shirts), these new ones are a deal breaker for myself (AA-ML) and my wife (AA-WL). The main reason I was getting Woot shirts over most others was specifically the blanks they have been using.

Woot: Feel free to let me know when you decide to switch back.

xb1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xb1
aemely wrote:Meh, I never liked the AA shirts. I live in the Southeast, and I can't line dry anything without it turning into mildew city. The more recent AA shirts had this nasty habit of the bottom seam wrinkling up beyond belief. I feel strongly that I shouldn't have to IRON a t-shirt to wear on my day off of work. Ergh! Here's hoping the Anvil shirts are better!



I live in the Southeast as well, and not only do I line dry many an AA shirt, but I also line dry most of my wife's tshirts, jeans, and sweaters with no mildewing whatsoever (I actually have a hypersensitivity to mildew-y smells, possibly bordering on some sort of psychosis, so if it were to mildew, I'd know about). The key is to get a wire drying rack and dry things inside, where the AC should be doing a good job of lowering the humidity.

Also, once something has mildewed once, it will always mildew until you can kill the spores. I find putting a cup of white vinegar into the wash, split between the bleach spout and the detergent spout, works very well.

AlfChampion


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AlfChampion

I feel like I have been duped by you, Woot! I was under the impression that you were going to maintain the same commitment to quality and customer satisfaction even after being purchased by Amazon.

I am very disappointed by the fact that you have decided to change from a high quality American supplier to a Honduran manufactured shirt. Was the 20% hike in the price not enough to continue using an American made shirt? Not to mention the change in fit!

My biggest gripe about a lot of t-shirts is that they are too short for me, especially after they have been washed a few times. As you may have guessed, I am not exactly thrilled that you have chosen to use an even shorter shirt.

Nobody will hold a grudge if you make things right. Please reconsider the changes that you have made.

wanderbug2


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wanderbug2

My "Not Like The Others" order just arrived. I commented in that thread too, but maybe it belongs here?

I wasn't thrilled with the blank change but figured we needed to try it before hating on it. Mostly I get shirts for DH. He has a long torso. We've had to order 3x in the AA to get the length. Otherwise, he's 2x for length elsewhere. We haven't washed anything yet but he's tried them on and so far he says he doesn't see a difference between the 2x-3x in Anvil. He did say when he sat down that the 2x Anvil pulled differently. I noticed that the Anvil sleeves are close to 2" longer, which seems odd to me. We'll see how they are after they are washed, though.

My biggest gripe so far is that the color is different. It's darker and has kind of an olive undertone. It looks like a cheap concert t that's supposed to be black but is so thin it's not quite there instead of a distinct dark soft bluer grey. (I compared it to my Nyan's Dream nightshirt and to some blank Woot AA's in asphalt, also all unwashed.)

I really, really liked the AA asphalt color. It was a great base color, showed off other colors well. The new color has muddied the colors in the design-the oranges are flatter, the background greener. Not at all happy.

elankat


quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
wanderbug2 wrote:I really, really liked the AA asphalt color. It was a great base color, showed off other colors well. The new color has muddied the colors in the design-the oranges are flatter, the background greener. Not at all happy.



Given this week's shirts, I'm kind of wishing Woot would ban asphalt shirts for a while anyhow. Great shirts, but just way too many on asphalt.

wanderbug2


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wanderbug2
elankat wrote:Given this week's shirts, I'm kind of wishing Woot would ban asphalt shirts for a while anyhow. Great shirts, but just way too many on asphalt.



Yeah, this is true. I'm really kind of astounded they've done this many gray shirts in a row, plus what's in the reckoning.

tinytimmy


quality posts: 6 Private Messages tinytimmy

I'm going to add my two bits and voice my displeasure with this change. First, $2 extra per shirt and then a worse fitting shirt for us over 6'.

I own dozens of Woot shirts, but I won't be buying any more if Anvil is indeed the new supplier.

I had to quit buying from BustedTees too because they switched from AA to cut costs.

Sad day.

bluejester


quality posts: 558 Private Messages bluejester

Okay, I finally had enough cold lights to wash up my one anvil shirt, and am wearing it right now. It doesn't quite feel the same as the AA did. I had two copies of the same design, both on different blanks as previously posted). They both felt roughly the same pre-wash, but now that I've washed them, the Anvil just feel like it's sitting the same on me. I can't quite put my finger on it. It does give me a bit of pause now before I will buy a shirt on this particular blank.

I already had misgivings about exporting of jobs, but this adds to it a bit. I might end up cutting down on my shirt purchases. I still am likely to shop the other woot sites, but I'll be a bit more hesistant with shirts that aren't on AA blanks.

From what I understand though, the long sleeve tees are still on AA blanks though, correct?

Narfcake


quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
bluejester wrote:From what I understand though, the long sleeve tees are still on AA blanks though, correct?


Correct. At least they are currently ... until they decide that switching to the 949 is a "good idea" because they are cheaper.

Speaking of switching ... I wonder how TeeFury will end up, as the Alstyle 1701 that they use are no longer ringspun. Not much discussion there yet from my post, however.

Also, I sure wouldn't mind seeing GoodJoe switch to all AA too. For now, I did confirm that all of Wences' The Real Treasure will be on AA blanks, so pre-order that one with confidence, folks!

wanderbug2


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wanderbug2
Narfcake wrote:C
Also, I sure wouldn't mind seeing GoodJoe switch to all AA too. For now, I did confirm that all of Wences' The Real Treasure will be on AA blanks, so pre-order that one with confidence, folks!



I ordered the "Tequila" one from a couple of weeks ago for me. I'm really looking forward to it arriving. That's my first GoodJoe shirt. I'd never heard of them before you mentioned them. Since this blank switch thing,I've been branching out. I've bought three, no, four shirts from other sites so far and have my eyes on a couple others.

pomorski


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pomorski

I just recieved my first Anvil shirt last night and I can't even truly express how disappointed I am.

I don't know how the Shirt.Woot people can even say that the difference won't be noticed. As soon as I opened the bag, I knew the cloth was different from look & feel. Holding the shirt up to the light and comparing the two, sorry Woot, Anvil sucks ass.

And the size? I'm a big guy so I order 3X; the old AA shirts fit perfectly but the Anvil are freaking gigantic by comparison. Even the sleeves are longer making them completely unacceptable to be used as an undershirt as the T-shirt sleeves are much longer then the average button up shirt sleeves. Once again, how can you say the difference won't be noticed?

Shirt.Woot: until you bring back the AA shirts, I'm done with you. I love your designs and I'll follow the designs but I'll never buy another Shirt.Woot that is made from Anvil.

My wallet is herby closed.

chennai8


quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
Narfcake wrote:That was the writeup for one of the shirts (that I have). Which sold during a woot-off last year. Which is on the rarities list ...



Shirt.woot probably categorized us in the same "pro-artistic" minority group, just with different label, "Pro-quality blanks" minority. Now people are receiving Anvil shirts and see in person, how it really is crap, will only increase the size of that later group.

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

deso


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deso

I will be doing a comparison of my latest Anvil shirt and two of my AA shirts after I wash and dry it a few times.

morgankohl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages morgankohl

A question for the guys that have tried the new Anvil blanks: Aside from the lack of length, is the shirt, itself, bigger? I ordered an XL for my boyfriend and it looks effing huge...like it was made for a big, square person. I can't have him try it on because he's in Afghanistan, but I also don't want to give it to him when he comes home, and say "Here you go, honey. I got you a shirt that you can't even wear! You're welcome." (I would compare it to another one of his shirts, but his house is in GA and I'm in NC)

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
morgankohl wrote:A question for the guys that have tried the new Anvil blanks: Aside from the lack of length, is the shirt, itself, bigger? I ordered an XL for my boyfriend and it looks effing huge...like it was made for a big, square person. I can't have him try it on because he's in Afghanistan, but I also don't want to give it to him when he comes home, and say "Here you go, honey. I got you a shirt that you can't even wear! You're welcome." (I would compare it to another one of his shirts, but his house is in GA and I'm in NC)



The anvil shirts shrink. I have the m2xl, and ore wash, it was ginormous. After washing, it is very close to my AA washed shirts.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

tammyerdmann


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tammyerdmann

I love, love, love the AA shirts, but decided to give Woot! the benefit of the doubt and try the new Anvil shirts since they claimed the shirts were so similar. Bought one, and I don't think I'll buy one again. I'm mostly annoyed by the much longer sleeves: they make the shirt look frumpy, as the sleeves now reach past my elbows, and they also manage to cause a weird bunching effect in the armpits. Yuck.

Unless an AA option returns, I fear I've purchased my last Woot! tee. Sad day.

bwallass


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bwallass

half of my 4 year old's closet is Woot shirts.
That'll be dropping off now.

Got in unicone today and the shirt is very wide and short.

Not gonna work for a kid that's skinny and tall.


In fact, the new size 6 is shorter than a size 4 he has from about 6 months ago.

Seems to be more like an old navy cut for anyone familiar with their sizes.

Boooooo.

The teachers always loved his new shirts when i drop him off in the morning.

wanderbug2


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wanderbug2
bwallass wrote:half of my 4 year old's closet is Woot shirts.
That'll be dropping off now.

Got in unicone today and the shirt is very wide and short.

Not gonna work for a kid that's skinny and tall.


In fact, the new size 6 is shorter than a size 4 he has from about 6 months ago.



Uh-oh! You've confirmed a worry that I have. I just bought an anvil "not like the others" as a gift for a skinny tall 4-year old! I don't usually buy kids things, but this is gift for a friends' son. I thought based on my reading I was buying up but it seemed small to me when it arrived. Have to figure out what to do now...

dcroe05


quality posts: 12 Private Messages dcroe05

Today, I warily purchased my first, and possibly only, Anvil Tee. Since the switchover I've been wondering when a shirt would come along that I wanted badly enough to give the new blanks a try, and Critical Hit is worth the experiment.

But even if I like the shirt, I will be buying far fewer Woot shirts, as I still think the price hike/cost-cutting was a lie to the customers.

Since then I've been spending my shirt dollars elsewhere.

wanderbug2


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wanderbug2
bwallass wrote:half of my 4 year old's closet is Woot shirts.
That'll be dropping off now.

Got in unicone today and the shirt is very wide and short.

Not gonna work for a kid that's skinny and tall.


In fact, the new size 6 is shorter than a size 4 he has from about 6 months ago.



I went to re-order the one I bought (need it soooon!) and thought the listed measurements looked off from the shirt that I have here, so I just measured it. It actually matches the K4 sizing, not K6. Have you measured yours? Maybe there's a whole batch of mis-tagged kids sixes out there???

modernchaot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages modernchaot

So today my first Anvil shirt (WET | | SLIPPERY WHEN) arrived, and I got to say that it isn't as bad as everyone says it is. It fits just like my other woot shirts, but the thickness seems a bit thin.

I make YouTube videos: youtube.com/lufthansa7478

I also have shirts to trade, so PM me... I dare you to!

Narfcake


quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
dcroe05 wrote:Today, I warily purchased my first, and possibly only, Anvil Tee.


I (essentially) haven't bought any at all, and I intend not to.

The debut day price increase never bothered me; them saying the reason is that because the blanks increased in price (true), and turn around and switch over to something that is definitely cheaper, not to mention ill-fitting to the gals ... that's just deceptive.

Alas, we the loyal customers are nothing more than just a statistic to the bean counters. With the increased margins, they can afford to piss us off, turn us away, and still look good. Which is just really really sad ...

Will I still buy from Woot proper? Yes.
Will I still vote in the derbies? Yes.
Will I still buy from the events? Possibly.
Will I buy the regular shirts? Not if they're on Anvil blanks.

My bucks have been heading to GoodJoe instead, where even at the $12 pre-order price, the artists and the charity of the week receive a portion of the sales. For the gals, they print on AA 2102 blanks, from WS to W2XL. Guys, usually AA 2001 or Cygnus 7000, S to 2XL. (FWIW, I did confirm that Walmazan's shirt this week will be on AA blanks.)

4khaos


quality posts: 8 Private Messages 4khaos
Narfcake wrote:My bucks have been heading to GoodJoe instead, where even at the $12 pre-order price, the artists and the charity of the week receive a portion of the sales. For the gals, they print on AA 2102 blanks, from WS to W2XL. Guys, usually AA 2001 or Cygnus 7000, S to 2XL. (FWIW, I did confirm that Walmazan's shirt this week will be on AA blanks.)


Have you bought any of the GoodJoe Cygnus shirts, and how are they compared to AA?

Narfcake


quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
4khaos wrote:Have you bought any of the GoodJoe Cygnus shirts, and how are they compared to AA?



They're much more comparable than the Anvil blanks that Woot is using now.

My fresh arrival of Karni Ratta on top of the last Wooter copy of Youbetchücan! on top of the mistaken copy of Shhhhhhh, which is an Anvil 980. All are size ML. Click the pic for the full (but fuzzy) pic ... and feel free to play Name That Shirt on the two Woot and one Tilteed shirts in the background too.



Neckhole is just slightly smaller on the C7000 vs. the AA2001; it's huge on the A980. Shoulders are narrowest on the AA2001 by a small margin, widest on the A980. Length is the shortest for the A980, longest on the C7000 by a small margin. Sleeves are the longest on the A980, the same for both the C7000 and AA2001.

YMMV, of course.

CaptainTr1pps


quality posts: 15 Private Messages CaptainTr1pps

Seems to me AA's well publicized financial problems and instability probably had a little something to do with he change. Company might not last the year, why would Woot want to be caught on the short end of that stick?

Just saying, AA is kind of a crappy company with a creeper CEO. Most of their senior management has fled, and their coasting by on a series of high interests loans. I imagine he business heads behind Woot and Amazon have an even clearer picture of what's happening there than has gone public. Not a company I'd want to be relying on to supply my primary product line.

Possible some contract just ended and Woot had to make a decision now. Speculation, but I've seen tons of that, and I don't think they'd exactly share internal business decisions with customers.

Narfcake


quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
CaptainTr1pps wrote:Seems to me AA's well publicized financial problems and instability probably had a little something to do with he change. Company might not last the year, why would Woot want to be caught on the short end of that stick? ...



If those were truly the reason, then they would've said them as the main reason. Except they didn't. And they're still ordering AA blanks for the events items too.

Simply put, the switch was to increase their bottom line numbers. A980 blanks are a good $2+ less than AA2001 blanks. Add in January's $2 increase ... you do the math.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Narfcake wrote:If those were truly the reason, then they would've said them as the main reason. Except they didn't.


Except, they did:
"For one thing, we really like the combination of stability and flexibility that going with Anvil provides. They've been in business for 150 years, so we're confident they know how to handle any challenge we throw at them."

move along

Narfcake


quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
j5 wrote:Except, they did: ...


Whoops. OK, I'm wrong. But I still stand by the numbers.