4khaos

quality posts: 8 Private Messages 4khaos
Narfcake wrote:...awesome comparison...

Thanks, Narf!

ljwilke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ljwilke
Narfcake wrote:They're much more comparable than the Anvil blanks that Woot is using now.

i have to wonder why this was not the new woot blank, since they seem so much more comparable from these pictures. do they not come in 3x or have limited color options or something?

Narfcake

quality posts: 288 Private Messages Narfcake
ljwilke wrote:i have to wonder why this was not the new woot blank, since they seem so much more comparable from these pictures. do they not come in 3x or have limited color options or something?

Sizing, colors, and their inventory wouldn't have worked out considering the volume that Woot goes through every month.

meganjane82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meganjane82

I am really happy to see the AA shirts go. American Apparel is a sexist, sizest, mysogenistic corporation. Personally, I don't want to wear the product of
a company that objectifies me or sexualities women to sell a product. American made is not always better. No matter the reason, thanks woot for changing companies! I will be buying more shirts.

bwallass

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bwallass
wanderbug2 wrote:I went to re-order the one I bought (need it soooon!) and thought the listed measurements looked off from the shirt that I have here, so I just measured it. It actually matches the K4 sizing, not K6. Have you measured yours? Maybe there's a whole batch of mis-tagged kids sixes out there???

I didnt measure, just did put the two together to compare.

The old 4 was between .5 and 1 inch longer than the new 6, while the new six looked 2 or so inches wider.

xjacekx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xjacekx

Just wanted to give my two cents here. I got my first woot on an anvil the other day, wore it to work and whatnot and I have to say I honestly feel no difference in the shirt quality. It feels nice and fits me well. So, I welcome this change and it will not at all detour me from buying more woots!

Ronski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ronski

I don't buy a lot of woot shirts but have bought several over the years. If I see something I like, I'd buy it.

Not anymore, don't even look at the site.

So what I'm saying is if woot is trying to swap in some AA shirts to see if sales go up - well there's plenty of us who'd never know there is a test going on.

Just came back today to see if they've come back to an American made shirt yet.

Anyone done a comparison of sales from old versus new shirt blanks?

jplambden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jplambden

Just got my first anvil shirt and it is DEFINITELY not the same quality. The chest may be the same size, but it's weird and wide and worse.

killerorca

quality posts: 4 Private Messages killerorca
jplambden wrote:Just got my first anvil shirt and it is DEFINITELY not the same quality. The chest may be the same size, but it's weird and wide and worse.

Could you let us know how it fares with washing? also which shirt.

jezebelseven

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jezebelseven

Asked this over in the ladies thread because it was brought up, but it's probably a little more fitting here as it's about a men's shirt.

I always used to buy the Men's 3x. The AA Men's 3x has side seams. So I can alter it if I choose to down the line a lot easier.

Which brings me to the question-- Do the Anvil M3x also have seams? Anyone?

Trade with me on TeeTrade!
THINK OF THE PATHOGENS!!!

wanderbug2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wanderbug2
jezebelseven wrote:Asked this over in the ladies thread because it was brought up, but it's probably a little more fitting here as it's about a men's shirt.

I always used to buy the Men's 3x. The AA Men's 3x has side seams. So I can alter it if I choose to down the line a lot easier.

Which brings me to the question-- Do the Anvil M3x also have seams? Anyone?

My hubby's 3x does not have side seams. The sleeves are also really, really long.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis

Got my first anvil today. It fits me about as good, if not a little better than the AA does (3X, and I need the damn length. Stupid long torso). It's not quite as soft, I guess, but "softness" wasn't the main selling point of shirts for me. I certainly wouldn't call it scratchy though. We'll see how it does after a wash.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Is the material stretchy like the AA?

I could wear the MM in AA. I'm not a guy and my top is a little bigger than 20", but I would stretch it out and it would be fine.

I'm trying to figure out if the new womens XL will fit (21") or if I should try the XXL.

The nice part about the AA was the top would stretch, yet the middle didn't cling. I hate cling! I'm 30 years past looking good in clingy.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

morgankohl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morgankohl
meganjane82 wrote:I am really happy to see the AA shirts go. American Apparel is a sexist, sizest, mysogenistic corporation. Personally, I don't want to wear the product of
a company that objectifies me or sexualities women to sell a product. American made is not always better. No matter the reason, thanks woot for changing companies! I will be buying more shirts.

....seriously? As a woman, you have no idea how sick and tired I get of women using the word 'sexist'. And if you think AA objectifies women, I shudder to think of how you feel about any company that dares to market underwear.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
morgankohl wrote:....seriously? As a woman, you have no idea how sick and tired I get of women using the word 'sexist'. And if you think AA objectifies women, I shudder to think of how you feel about any company that dares to market underwear.

Honestly, I think many, if not most, American companies are still sexist, so AA isn't really an exception. If people/companies still rampantly treat women like sex objects and inferior to men, I'm curious why you're sick and tired of women saying they're sexist (honest question, I really would like to know). Do you think the US isn't sexist any more?

I'm disappointed in the change for many reasons, but primarily because of sizing that now sucks and also the environmental differences in manufacturing.

morgankohl

amreli wrote:Honestly, I think many, if not most, American companies are still sexist, so AA isn't really an exception. If people/companies still rampantly treat women like sex objects and inferior to men, I'm curious why you're sick and tired of women saying they're sexist (honest question, I really would like to know). Do you think the US isn't sexist any more?

Saying that a person is sexist is a far cry from saying that a company is sexist. Yes, men can be pigs, but what can you do? Most women are completely bonkers. It's just the way of the world. Just don't interact with said men if you don't like their behavior. If you're being sexually harassed at work, say something about it. Hell, you might end up with a hefty lawsuit that fattens your bank account. (At which point, you should thank so-and-so for being an ass.) But saying that a company is treating YOU personally like a sex object? Doubtful. If you're being offended on behalf of the scantily clad women in advertisements, don't be. They're getting paid well and probably enjoy the attention. I just feel that the term sexist gets bandied about carelessly. Where do you draw the line? When a stranger comes up to you and asks "Hey baby where can I get some fries with that shake?", is that objectifying you? Perhaps, but more than anything, he's probably just an Pinky that needs to come up with a better pick up line.

Edit: Why does it let me use the word 'ass' and not 'idi ot'?

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick
morgankohl wrote: And if you think AA objectifies women, I shudder to think of how you feel about any company that dares to market underwear.

I take it that you haven't followed any of the links to AA's sexual harassment lawsuits, advertisements (where they choose models who look pre-teen and then show as much as they possibly can of them), and general sexist and misogynistic attitude toward women. Please, actually look through that before judging someone else's opinion.

morgankohl wrote:Yes, men can be pigs, but what can you do? Most women are completely bonkers. It's just the way of the world. Just don't interact with said men if you don't like their behavior.

So, your solution to harassment, sexism, and general issues between men/women is for the women who have an issue with it to get back in their house and shut up? Lest they interact with a man and become offended at someone's unwanted sexual comment? Please, tell me you're simply trolling.

While some people like to throw accusatory words around and get offended at someone's mere existence; it doesn't mean that sexism or harassment don't exist or aren't a problem. That is not something that you just bury your head in the sand about. That's like telling minorities to just not talk to white men, because a few guys with hoods are racists. AYFKM.

Narfcake

For you folks arguing the pros and cons of each company, try this thread instead.

dontwantaname wrote:Is the material stretchy like the AA?

It's similarly stretchy, though I did not attempt any full stretch tests.

Speaking of stretch ... if you had to stretch out the neck holes in your AA shirts, then the Anvil shirts will be good for you. Otherwise, the following pic highlights just how wide some of us have been talking about ...

Both are unwashed/unworn, yet the neck hole of the Anvil ML is cut as wide as an AA 3XL.

EDIT: Shirts switched around. TAC was used to contrast the heather gray of YWI.

morgankohl

thumperchick wrote:
While some people like to throw accusatory words around and get offended at someone's mere existence; it doesn't mean that sexism or harassment don't exist or aren't a problem.

I never said that they didn't exist. They definitely do; I was raised in a household, as such. I was old enough to remember when my mother was *allowed* to get her driver's license in her mid-thirties. (She eventually divorced the piece of crap.) I know it's a legitimate thing. I'm just saying that people throw the word sexist all over the place. I'm saying that companies aren't sexist. People are. Individuals.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
morgankohl wrote: I'm just saying that people throw the word sexist all over the place. I'm saying that companies aren't sexist. People are. Individuals.

And when the person who owns and decides the direction the company goes is sexist? Companies are their people, especially the executives.

LadyofRohan2995

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LadyofRohan2995

Dear Woot,

I have bought fifty shirts from your site, and check it at least 360 days of the year. I had no idea you were switching shirts until I happened across a comment on today's shirt.

I am very much regretting your purchase by Amazon. I wish you were still an independent company in Saint Louis with more integrity.

Regardless of the reasons behind the switch (though it does look like it's just a cost-saving measure), you should have emphasized the switch and made it impossible for customers to miss.

Badly done, Woot, badly done. It's a sad day when I loose faith in two of my favorite companies.

zwartepaard

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zwartepaard

As a lady, I definitely noticed a difference. My new uniCONE shirt just came in the mail today and I was super excited, until I realized this new shirt is HUGE, and in all the wrong places. I checked the tag to see if I had somehow ordered the wrong size, then checked my receipt after reading this post. I didn't see any mention in my order about what kind of blank my shirt would be coming on. Had I seen the "obvious indicator" that this post makes reference to, I probably wouldn't have dropped $12. The material also feels thinner, which makes me glad that it is on asphalt instead of cream or white, and is strange since the tee is .2 ounces heavier. This is the first time I've been disappointed in a shirt.woot purchase. Though, I must say, it is good to hear that these new tees shrink more...maybe I have a chance of getting it to fit better.

rellybob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rellybob
zwartepaard wrote:As a lady, I definitely noticed a difference. My new uniCONE shirt just came in the mail today and I was super excited, until I realized this new shirt is HUGE, and in all the wrong places. I checked the tag to see if I had somehow ordered the wrong size, then checked my receipt after reading this post. I didn't see any mention in my order about what kind of blank my shirt would be coming on. Had I seen the "obvious indicator" that this post makes reference to, I probably wouldn't have dropped $12. The material also feels thinner, which makes me glad that it is on asphalt instead of cream or white, and is strange since the tee is .2 ounces heavier. This is the first time I've been disappointed in a shirt.woot purchase. Though, I must say, it is good to hear that these new tees shrink more...maybe I have a chance of getting it to fit better.

Actually, they are supposed to shrink a little less than AA. Sorry.

lostintime2004

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lostintime2004

There is a lot of stuff here, so I apologize if it has been covered. My question on the new blanks is how the collars are, as a guy that is a bit on the bigger size (I wear a 3XL cause of my wide chest) who has a bit of a gut, AA shirts were 80/20 on the size of the collar being right. If it were too big the shirt would slide back and I absolutely hate it. If the shirt fell forward I wouldn't care but the AA shirts were the only ones who went backwards.

Basically when the AA shirts fit well they were snug around my neck, so my question is, did the collars get bigger, smaller, or stay the same. If they got bigger I dont think I will ever buy a new shirt woot shirt

jcleveland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcleveland

First, I want to say I have always been a big fan of the Woot Ts. Most of my shirts are now from Woot because of the art and the shirt themselves. However, the Anvil shirts are not nearly as high quality as the AA shirts. My Anvil shirts do not feel as comfortable on my skin as the AA shirts did, which is a large part of why I bought Woot shirts in the first place. I will unfortunately not find myself able to buy Woot shirts again until you change back, or try another brand.

That said, paying $15-20 for a higher quality AA shirt wouldn't be THAT terrible for me.

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
lostintime2004 wrote:There is a lot of stuff here, so I apologize if it has been covered. My question on the new blanks is how the collars are, as a guy that is a bit on the bigger size (I wear a 3XL cause of my wide chest) who has a bit of a gut, AA shirts were 80/20 on the size of the collar being right. If it were too big the shirt would slide back and I absolutely hate it. If the shirt fell forward I wouldn't care but the AA shirts were the only ones who went backwards.

Basically when the AA shirts fit well they were snug around my neck, so my question is, did the collars get bigger, smaller, or stay the same. If they got bigger I dont think I will ever buy a new shirt woot shirt

Noticeably bigger. Narfcake and some others have posted comparisons, if you just scroll up this page.

Narfcake

lostintime2004 wrote:... so my question is, did the collars get bigger, smaller, or stay the same. If they got bigger I dont think I will ever buy a new shirt woot shirt

They got HUGE. Scroll up and look at my pics - ML is cut as wide as a 3XL.

cmillard1

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cmillard1

For me, aside from the neck hole (which is a bit large), I feel that in terms of quality and fit I either like the Anvil's better (sleeves) or about the same (material).

I'm actually pretty astounded that people liked the sleeves on the AA shirts. Do they have any upper torso mass at all?

spacegirlag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacegirlag

i'm going to post this here, since even though i'm female i've decided i prefer the men's medium to the wxl in the aa blanks.

has anyone that wore a medium in the aa shirts gotten a comparable fit in the new anvil blanks? like, does a men's small fit close to the way a medium used to?

i happen to have muscular arms, so prefer the room in the aa men's shirt sleeves. did they stay close to the same? i know i could theoretically find these answers from the sizing charts, but based on what i've seen in the women's thread, i just don't trust the base numbers.

killerorca

quality posts: 4 Private Messages killerorca
cmillard1 wrote:For me, aside from the neck hole (which is a bit large), I feel that in terms of quality and fit I either like the Anvil's better (sleeves) or about the same (material).

I'm actually pretty astounded that people liked the sleeves on the AA shirts. Do they have any upper torso mass at all?

Some people, myself included, use woot shirts as undershirts for work shirts. So it is ideal for the sleeves to be shorter than standard sizes. Heck I had to abandon the plain white tees I was using from costco cause the sleeves were too long.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
spacegirlag wrote:i'm going to post this here, since even though i'm female i've decided i prefer the men's medium to the wxl in the aa blanks.

has anyone that wore a medium in the aa shirts gotten a comparable fit in the new anvil blanks? like, does a men's small fit close to the way a medium used to?

i happen to have muscular arms, so prefer the room in the aa men's shirt sleeves. did they stay close to the same? i know i could theoretically find these answers from the sizing charts, but based on what i've seen in the women's thread, i just don't trust the base numbers.

The men's shirts mainly changed in length and collar.

move along

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
j5 wrote:The men's shirts mainly changed in length and collar.

Sleeve length is longer too, isn't it? I seem to recall several people reporting that the men's shirt sleeves are hitting a lot lower on the arm.

andersdotter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andersdotter

Sorry, I didn't read the 25 pages of comments... and maybe this has been said already, but mostly I need to rant... I don't read the forum, so had no idea the shirts changed - or that I was supposed to check sizing every time I order to make sure I get the right one... because it varies shirt to shirt... awesome - the same night, I bought 2 shirts one WXL and one WL (because I've been losing some weight and wanted to see if I was ready to step down a size). Too bad the WL is about 2 sizes larger than the WXL and I just threw $15 away on a shirt that is ridiculously too big for me. Thanks a lot shirt.woot!

JonTwelve

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JonTwelve

Well I finally tried on a new shirt that my buddy ordered from woot. We knew woot switched brands but we reserved judgment till we tried one. Unfortunately for the both of us American Apparel fit and looked much better. For me AA was the perfect shirt, made in the US too.

Sorry WOOT, I'm not buying ill fitting shirts even though I really like you guys and the awesome artits. Raise the price if you have to but bring back those sweet fitting american made shirts!

pomorski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pomorski
elankat wrote:Sleeve length is longer too, isn't it? I seem to recall several people reporting that the men's shirt sleeves are hitting a lot lower on the arm.

Yes, sleeve length is much longer. I typically wear mine as an undershirt and I am unable to with Anvil.

And it's not just the sleeve length and collar that changed. The shirts are much bigger in general and boxier in fit. They look like crap when worn.

thereap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thereap

I just received blending in today and it is on an anvil blank. i tried it on for just a minute (i was on my lunch break when i got it). the neck felt significantly bigger and it seems wider and shorter. I HATE THIS. The AA shirts were slimmer and longer which i loved. I have been buying shirts here for only a few months and i already own 14. my new obsession with unique t shirts may come to an end soon. I'm pretty sad to be honest with you. I'll wash them and see what happens. I'll post again after i wash it a couple of times. P.S. I'm still waiting for 4 more shirts to come in the mail hopefully i like them when they come.

jsee1218

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsee1218

Alright, here's my $0.02 on the new blanks.

I bought Ramyb's "Read" (M3XL) on Sunday and had it rush shipped. I received it yesterday and tried it on before I washed it. Yes, it's true that the sleeves are longer than the AA blanks, and it's true that the head/neck hole is wider. At first, I thought the head/neck hole being wider was a real deal breaker because it seemed to be REALLY wide on me. However, after washing the shirt in cold water and drying it in the dryer (for maximum shrinkage), I noticed that the head/neck hole shrunk to an acceptable width. I was wearing "Nyan's Dream" (AA M3XL) just before I changed into "Read" and didn't notice a real difference between the shirts when it came to the feel of the head/neck hole. They both rested comfortably around my neck.

As for the sleeves, I find that I prefer the longer sleeves on the Anvil blank because my upper arms are chubby. The Anvil shirt's sleeves also seemed to not creep up my arms as I'm doing things around the house. On the AA shirts, I constantly find myself having to yank down the sleeves to cover my upper arms because they creep up.

Now, for length and width, I did not notice much of a difference between the two. Now that I have had a chance to look at an AA shirt and an Anvil shirt after having washed and dried them both as I normally would, the lengths seem to be about the same. The widths feel the same, as well. Then again, I prefer my shirts baggy because, let's face it, my upper arms aren't the only part of me that's chubby!

The thickness of the shirts both feel the same, but the Anvil shirt is definitely not as soft as the AA shirt. Is this a deal breaker for me? Nope. Although the Anvil shirt is not as soft as the AA shirt, it is by no means rough or scratchy.

Will I continue to buy shirt.woot! shirts now that I've tried the new Anvil blanks? Probably, as long as they keep putting out designs that I like.

Overall, I prefer the Anvil blank because of the longer sleeves. I plan on wearing "Read" all day tomorrow, though, so we'll see if my opinion changes at all. Trying it on for an hour versus wearing it all day could make a difference in my opinion. I'll let you know if it changes.

Miyari

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Miyari

So... any plans to offer Women's 2XL? You guys offer Mens 3X but nothing bigger than XL for larger women. One of the only sites I can't buy 2XLs from - every Woot shirt I own is an unflattering Men's XL.

terrabite3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages terrabite3

To be honest, I don't care about switching to Anvil. I find them acceptable. What I DO care about is all the whining over the issue.

I don't care that the blanks are no longer made in USA. If american companies won't bother being competitive, they deserve to go out of business.

I don't care that the shirts are a little bit shorter. They still fit better than shirts I can find anywhere else. I don't buy from TeeFury because they don't feel right.

I don't care that they charge $2 more while costing less. They're still cheaper than most other sources of quality tees. I don't buy from thinkgeek because they are far too expensive (and also don't fit right).

Woot, you have my support, both vocal and financial.

Complainers, I'm happy to see you go, if it means I don't have to hear you moaning, "If this were on AA, I would buy it." Move on, and stop spamming us every day with the same garbage. I. DO. NOT. CARE.

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick
terrabite3 wrote:To be honest, I don't care about switching to Anvil. I find them acceptable. What I DO care about is all the whining over the issue.

I don't care that the blanks are no longer made in USA. If american companies won't bother being competitive, they deserve to go out of business.

I don't care that the shirts are a little bit shorter. They still fit better than shirts I can find anywhere else. I don't buy from TeeFury because they don't feel right.

I don't care that they charge $2 more while costing less. They're still cheaper than most other sources of quality tees. I don't buy from thinkgeek because they are far too expensive (and also don't fit right).

Woot, you have my support, both vocal and financial.

Complainers, I'm happy to see you go, if it means I don't have to hear you moaning, "If this were on AA, I would buy it." Move on, and stop spamming us every day with the same garbage. I. DO. NOT. CARE.

That was a very long post from someone who "doesn't care." o_0

In reality, it's good to have the opposing opinions on this thread. No one is asking the new blank supporters to stop posting, please show the same courtesy to the opposition.