+ Add a Comment

ceotty


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceotty
Shmuel510 wrote:As near as I can tell, this is mythical.

There were numerous statements made by Woot customers to the effect that they didn't mind the price change as long as the shirts were still made in the USA, and another user (not a Woot staffer) posted a survey on Deals.Woot asking if people would have preferred that Shirt.Woot keep the $10 price and import cheaper shirts, but I haven't found any post in which a Woot staffer drew a connection between the two.



I suspected as much. Thanks for the confirmation, though!

— Cyndy Otty —
http://gentlewit.com

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator


I would like to remind everyone to please maintain a calm and respectful attitude in commenting. There is disagreement furthering a discussion and then there's just attacking a different point of view. Please take the time to consider this when posting.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
j5 wrote:Probably a chick, FYI.



We're all girls on the internet pretending to be guys pretending to be girls. (This is only because goldenthorn beat me to a perfectly good post about being civil and playing nice.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

bhcompy


quality posts: 15 Private Messages bhcompy
llandar wrote:As a mere writer with no input or insight into the decision, I much prefer Shirt.Woot look out for the American job I currently hold. Call it selfish if you must.



If that was truly a problem then perhaps they should have opened a conversation with the rather vocal community that drives shirt.woot?

It's important for companies with these types of communities to understand that in today's world these types of PR problems can spiral out of control relatively fast because of upper management misaction, inaction, and lack of communication. See Netflix and CCP Games.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
inkycatz wrote:We're all girls on the internet pretending to be guys pretending to be girls. (This is only because goldenthorn beat me to a perfectly good post about being civil and playing nice.)


Wait, there are no girls on the Internet....is this girlception?
(and yes, that was deliberate)


eta: wowsers! talk about slash and burn. Message count probably dropped by 30.

move along

xenador


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xenador

I found shirt.Woot about 3 and a half years ago and have bought about 40 shirts in that time. I still wear them all and only have to wash them about once a month!

But, this shift to Anvil shirts (which I DO NOT like) from AA (which I REALLY DO like), the price increase, and the shift from the states to overseas has lost my business. This is quite hard to believe.

For the first time in years I don't have to stay up until midnight anymore.

Raywind


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raywind

Yep, sorry, time to unsubscribe from the newsletter and cross Woot off of my list. A switch to an inferior product (in my opinion, as I hate Anvil), hard on the heels of a 20% price increase? No deal here.

bluejester


quality posts: 556 Private Messages bluejester
goldenthorn wrote:
I would like to remind everyone to please maintain a calm and respectful attitude in commenting. There is disagreement furthering a discussion and then there's just attacking a different point of view. Please take the time to consider this when posting.



Okay okay, I'll play nice.

raccoonbacon


quality posts: 1 Private Messages raccoonbacon
llandar wrote:As a mere writer with no input or insight into the decision, I much prefer Shirt.Woot look out for the American job I currently hold. Call it selfish if you must.



You are not being selfish... I just hope that, especially in your case, the decision isn't made to eventually get writers from Honduras, too...

jago


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jago

$12 for an AA shirt made in the US? No problem.
$12 for an Anvil shirt not made in the US? That's a problem.

Corporate responsibility is all well and good, but imports aren't keeping the money and jobs in the US.

Since the $2 increase was expected for AA shirts, I therefore expect the shirts to go down to ~$9. This way Woot still makes +$2 per shirt more than before.

I have only one quality post.

dolemite007


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolemite007
j5 wrote:I'm pretty sure fluttersby8 is a chick, FYI.

Now, now...calling a broad a "chick" is HARDLY politically correct.

BTW, the internet is gender-less. Unless you're posting on 4-Chan, that is.

unsweetener


quality posts: 1 Private Messages unsweetener
llandar wrote:As a mere writer with no input or insight into the decision, I much prefer Shirt.Woot look out for the American job I currently hold. Call it selfish if you must.



It is puzzling that the American jobs woot provides (and might provide more of as they expand) don't count as much as the AA factory workers.

It's been said, but textile production isn't exactly a growth industry in the United States, because it's kind of terrible to work in. I'm glad that AA pays their employees decent wages and provides benefits, but the factory is also located in downtown LA, where the cost of living is pretty high, and those workers aren't netting more than $30,000 a year. Their jobs are still really important, of course, but it's something to consider when you talk about the impact it has on the larger economy.

dolemite007


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolemite007
manofrust wrote:Well, it sounds like I'm in a small minority here, but I HATED the American Apparel shirts. They are the flimsiest, thinnest, most uncomfortable t-shirts I have ever owned. They did not feel good to wear at all, and they had a weird clingy-ness that none of my other t-shirts have. I bought a couple of them because I loved the designs being offered so much, but after wearing each of them one time I gave them away.

On the other hand, I have a friend who LOVES the AA shirts and insists they are the best t-shirts she has ever owned, so I know this is a completely subjective thing.

It totally is...personally, I feel that the AA shirts have both great strengths and weaknesses. They fit great, and sleeves don't billow out, and they're super-comfy. However, the sizes run wonky- one 2XL will be snug, while the next 2XL will be loose. Plus, the necks sometimes get stretched out. But overall, I love 'em.

That said, I will give Anvil a chance. But just one.

citizencoyote


quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
solidstiles wrote:So it's only okay to support overseas manufacturing if you have no choice? If it's REALLY that big of a deal to a person, then they wouldn't own a computer, smartphone or car.

If someone wants to make it their priority to purchase American-made when available, that's respectable, however it's a tad hypocritical when the same person jumps up on their high horse for vehemently supporting US manufacturing while typing it out on a device that didn't hit US soil until it was ready to be purchased.



You've entered straw man territory here. Narf never said he only buys American, only that it is an important part of his consumerism. I gather from his posts that Woot's previous "made in America" commitment was a major draw for him, and this change makes him less likely to support Woot for that reason. Calling him out for hypocrisy because he likely used a device made in some foreign country to make his post ignores the reality of the electronics market in the US. Hard to be a hypocrite if you don't have a choice in the first place.

The point is that Woot's previous use of an American shirt company was a major draw for many wooters. Now that Woot's supplier is no longer an American company, they are upset and voicing their opinion. As consumers, that's their right, just as Woot has the right to make their own decisions.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
dolemite007 wrote:Now, now...calling a broad a "chick" is HARDLY politically correct.



Is "dame" preferred, then?
I'm old and slow and just don't know these newfangled terms you kids today use.

(and yes, ISWYDT)

Back on point, I think fluttersby8 had a perfectly valid opinion. This thread is really getting tiring to follow. It's getting nigh close to politics around here, ya ken?

move along

dcroe05


quality posts: 12 Private Messages dcroe05
bhcompy wrote:I really don't feel like making a $12 experiment for a tshirt. That's 4 double-doubles right there. Lunch for a week.



As someone who spent a decade in double-double country, but now lives 1,167 miles from the nearest InO...please don't rub it in.

dilettante


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dilettante
dcroe05 wrote:As someone who spent a decade in double-double country, but now lives 1,167 miles from the nearest InO...please don't rub it in.



This.

ellegee


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ellegee

I'm in the wait and see camp, though I kind of would like to see how both the price increase and the switch are both justified.

I've not been able to order womens' sizes here because the xl is more of a junior size and is cut too skinny for a curvy girl. I buy the mens size and I'm happy with them for the feel and the quality, but not thrilled with the fit. The size that fits my chest is broad in the shoulders and kind of long, though I love the prints here enough to not be too bothered by it. My daughter has the same issue but the shirts I've bought for my husband and sons are great, no complaints there at all.

However now I'm encouraged after looking in my closet and finding that my absolute favorite fitting tee is an Anvil brand. It's thick but very soft, stretches nicely where it needs to and doesn't stretch or get baggy where it doesn't need to, but has good "spring back" also and hasn't gotten stretched out over time. It's a nice girly cut with the shorter sleeves and little bit wider neck and is just the right length on me. It's a shirt from the Broadway show Jersey Boys and I wear it really often, it's probably been washed 30 times and is still dark black and holding its shape.

The tag says 100% ring spun cotton RN38619. Can any staff confirm if that is the shirt being used for the womens' sizes?

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
dcroe05 wrote:As someone who spent a decade in double-double country, but now lives 1,167 miles from the nearest InO...please don't rub it in.



Colorado is supposed to be getting one soon. That might help.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

dcroe05


quality posts: 12 Private Messages dcroe05
Mavyn wrote:Colorado is supposed to be getting one soon. That might help.



Still a little far from Raleigh for a lunch run...

bhcompy


quality posts: 15 Private Messages bhcompy

Seems that the majority of people saying good things about Anvil are women and those complaining are men.. What are the purchase demographics of the shirts in general? More women than men? Otherwise.. boggle?

dcroe05 wrote:Still a little far from Raleigh for a lunch run...



I'll bring some next time I'm down that way

MBrulla


quality posts: 12 Private Messages MBrulla

The roughly 80% of you who buy shirts in Men's sizes

That should answer that one...

bhcompy


quality posts: 15 Private Messages bhcompy
MBrulla wrote:The roughly 80% of you who buy shirts in Men's sizes

That should answer that one...



Maybe maybe not.. Lots of hate for AA womens shirts. My wife wears the mens shirts.

dolemite007


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolemite007
bhcompy wrote:Seems that the majority of people saying good things about Anvil are women and those complaining are men.. What are the purchase demographics of the shirts in general? More women than men?

Depends what's printed on 'em, I would say.

Supersugar


quality posts: 10 Private Messages Supersugar

Heh! And here I was thinking that this was a T-shirt site, not some commentary on the American economy. Silly me!

... FWIW, half of my current shirts from Woot fit fine, 25% don't, and the others have various holes/popped stitches and what not, so it's not like all was well just because the shirts were supplied by an American manufacturer.

Different supplier/global politics aside, I'm thinking I'll just do what I normally do here ... buy a shirt when I like it. You know, the usual.

llandar


quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
raccoonbacon wrote:You are not being selfish... I just hope that, especially in your case, the decision isn't made to eventually get writers from Honduras, too...



One could almost say it's on me then to make sure I meet the demands and standards set forth by my employer to ensure they don't look elsewhere.

Lane03


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lane03

I should add that I have no loyalty to AA shirts, and I am sure the Anvil shirts would be good enough quality for me. My problem is the 20% price hike for an imported shirt. I have no problem buying an imported item, as long as it's either better quality than I can get domestically or it's cheaper than a domestic equivalent. This situation is neither. They should lower the price or stick with AA (or another domestic manufacturer of quality t-shirts).

MBrulla


quality posts: 12 Private Messages MBrulla
bhcompy wrote:Maybe maybe not.. Lots of hate for AA womens shirts. My wife wears the mens shirts.



dolemite007 wrote:Depends what's printed on 'em, I would say.



This is just current demographic info from the OP...after the change will that be different...maybe?

My gf wears the WS/WM and they fit her well. I agree with the fact that they can be tight fitting for women with a larger bust, but since when is that a bad thing?

labrat0017


quality posts: 9 Private Messages labrat0017

I would like to suggest that you offer the new shirts as blanks for us to try, preferably as cheap as the current blanks you are offering. We will then be able to know for sure that the anvil we are trying is the same "model number" as the one new shirts will be printed on, and they would be cheaper than buying one with a print on it. It could give us a chance to try out the new shirts without feeling like we are wasting money. I also have more use for a shirt that is either a size too big or small if it is plain. I've heard some people say they have to order up because of shrinking, and one of the pluses of the new shirts is less shrinking, so I think some people will need to change sizes, and this could help us hone in our our new size preference, as well as let the ladies try out the new superior ladies shirts. Just my two cents.

hackman2007


quality posts: 14 Private Messages hackman2007
labrat0017 wrote:I would like to suggest that you offer the new shirts as blanks for us to try, preferably as cheap as the current blanks you are offering. We will then be able to know for sure that the anvil we are trying is the same "model number" as the one new shirts will be printed on, and they would be cheaper than buying one with a print on it. It could give us a chance to try out the new shirts without feeling like we are wasting money. I also have more use for a shirt that is either a size too big or small if it is plain. I've heard some people say they have to order up because of shrinking, and one of the pluses of the new shirts is less shrinking, so I think some people will need to change sizes, and this could help us hone in our our new size preference, as well as let the ladies try out the new superior ladies shirts. Just my two cents.



People will still find things to hate about them. People will say $7.99 for a blank is too expensive for an imported shirt.

But to be honest as long as the shirts last, I don't care. Shirts are shirts.

labrat0017


quality posts: 9 Private Messages labrat0017
hackman2007 wrote:People will still find things to hate about them. People will say $7.99 for a blank is too expensive for an imported shirt.

But to be honest as long as the shirts last, I don't care. Shirts are shirts.



But then at least they know to stop buying woot shirts. I personally only wear AA t-shirts because I have never found anything else that fits, so I'm curious.

greenchunks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenchunks

I'm not a furious shirt.wooter (really, you need to buy your shirt at midnight when it takes like 5-10 business days for the shirt to arrive anyways?) but I've bought maybe 10 or so over the years. I've always loved the AA fit and quality of the shirts, and I've told friends about how nice the shirts are. When they raised the prices to $12, I was upset, but it was still a great deal, so I was happy to do it so they could stay in business and grow. While the timing may have been poor for the change in suppliers, I offer my congrats to them if they have found similar or better shirts (better in terms of consistency, color selection, fitment for women) for a significantly cheaper price. Yes, I own some Anvil shirts that were giveaways/promo shirts, and no I don't particularly like them. However,

I HAVE ZERO EXPECTATION THAT THESE SHIRTS ARE THE EXACT SAME CHEAP, UNCOMFORTABLE ANVIL SHIRTS THAT MANY OF US HAVE, BUT RATHER BETTER QUALITY ONES.

I'm sure a company such as Anvil has many lines of shirts in a variety of qualities Granted, I will be closely inspecting and judging the next shirt I buy from shirt.woot, but people, my god, calm down. No one has received the actual shirts they will be using. Basing it off that cheap/free Anvil shirt in your closet is just foolish and naive. Why would a site that people love so much, and has been fair good to its community screw them over that badly? Sure, they would make some short term profits for 6-9 months, but eventually people would stop buying and sales would peter out. I trust that the company knows what it is doing, and the shirts will be of similar quality. If the new shirts are of a lesser quality, then people will reduce their spending, and the company will lose money (there are still fixed costs, and effects of higher/lower utilization on gross margin).

EDIT: I looked up the Anvil 980 shirts, which someone mentioned are the shirts they will be using (page 1) and they seem to have fairly good reviews overall.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
llandar wrote:One could almost say it's on me then to make sure I meet the demands and standards set forth by my employer to ensure they don't look elsewhere.



Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?

nyenna


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nyenna
MBrulla wrote:I agree with the fact that they can be tight fitting for women with a larger bust, but since when is that a bad thing?



When they aren't comfortable. Coming from one with 36C's, and who gets panic attacks with super tight clothing. Go to Hooters.

Not buying any more shirts until they bring back AA.

fluttersby8


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fluttersby8

My opinion is that people are complaining primarily because they like complaining. Rather than offer any further explanation as to why I believe this is so, I will simply say:

I'm right and you're wrong so nanny nanny boo boo.

Also, I am not a chick, a broad or a dame. Nor am I a guy or a lad. I am, in point of fact, an otter.

stephnrich


quality posts: 1 Private Messages stephnrich

Woot, you had to know there would be a segment of the market who freaks out. After all, you took the time to tell us about the change and were very transparent.

For future reference, when you make a change of this type, might you consider sending samples to a few regular customers before you make the announcement? When those customers weigh in with their feedback that (hopefully) corroborates yours, it may serve to reassure the raving lunatics out there.

Just some free advice, that's probably worth what you paid for it.

elezar


quality posts: 4 Private Messages elezar

This might have already been said (No, I didn't read all the posts), but I want to point out that when talking about where a product is made, you really need to look at the entire supply chain. Honduras is one of the largest importers of cotton yarn from the US (Which is generally made from cotton grown in the US), so it's likely that Anvil uses US cotton for their shirts. Also, the US is a very large importer of cotton yarn (Yes, global economics is weird), so it's possible that AA used cotton yarn that was not made in the US. You can take it even farther, and look at stuff like the spindles used to spin the yarn, which are also heavily imported to the US.

It's actually possible that overall, shirts made by Anvil produce more American jobs than shirts made by AA. I obviously don't have those numbers to know if that's true or not, but I'm sure that neither do the people complaining about the switch to shirts that aren't "Made in the USA". We live in a global economy, and VERY few products are made start-to-finish in a single country any more.

annewaterman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages annewaterman
llandar wrote:One could almost say it's on me then to make sure I meet the demands and standards set forth by my employer to ensure they don't look elsewhere.



Wow, this speaks volumes....*volumes*

shirt.woot just gave us their answer...

In order to stay in business they've got to meet the demands and standards set forth by Amazon (like it or not) OR Amazon will take shirt.woot and flush it down the toilet...or worse, send printing overseas too.

I'm satisfied with that answer...I'd rather keep some of shirt.woot in the USA rather than none of it. Thanks llandar

benyust2


quality posts: 4 Private Messages benyust2
bluejester wrote:I second the previous "well said" post. Even when ordering the randoms, if I got something that I didn't like, it was still a comfy shirt in the end.

America needs jobs and there's a big part of me that grieves the end of using AA blanks. I know that this may sound trite to some, but to me there was a quintessentialy American feel to shirt.woot. They used American made product to provide opportunity to all designers of all backgrounds.

I really do like woot as a company. They have great customer service and staffers who go the extra mile for their customers and from what I can tell, their employees as well.

I didn't mind and totally shrugged off the notion of the price increase, inflation happens. But this...I love you guys, but this...

...it gives me pause. Why would you do this to Americans who need jobs? You seem like you guys care over there.



The Americans who lose their T Shirt printing jobs at AA can now be hired by Woot to print the designs on the cheaper T's. Woot is now making the extra money that AA used to make so they can hire those Americans (or other Americans) with their extra money. It really isn't any different other than they may be in different parts of the country. If you are against Woot making more money, you probably wouldn't have been buying shirts anyway.

lara17


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lara17

Chalk me up as one of the women who aren't crazy about AA shirts. I appreciate the fact that they're made in America, but I really felt like the quality has dropped on their blanks in the last year or so. They seem to shrink more in the wash than they used to. I used to buy women's mediums, but had to size up to a women's large because the shirts started shrinking more in the laundry. The larges are also kind of a wonky fit, as it fits too loose in some areas and too tight in others, in addition to being too short. I feel like as long as the quality is in fact similar, I'm excited for the change. As far as the price change, it sucks, but with all the costs on everything going up, I'm ok with them changing stuff around so they can keep providing us with neat shirts. I also can't wait to see what new projects they're coming up with.