+ Add a Comment

jilly29a

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jilly29a

After reading many posts, it appears that there are 2 major problems with shirts for females:

1. the shirt length
2. the chest width

Because there are females in all sizes we should be able to choose the bust size and the length we want. That would pretty much cover every body shape.

If only Woot would let us get custom shirts determined by width and length instead of gender and a letter such as "S", "M" or "L".

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

Here's the comparison of the Anvil WS after a wash. It lost a lot of length, but hardly and width. It went from covering my entire butt before the wash to just below the top of my pants after the wash. It was hard to show how wide and it is in a photo, but you can kind of see it when I raise my arms. I didn't pull it out at the sides or anything. It just holds that weird bell shape when I wear it.

Edit - Decided to post my general body size, in case that's a helpful reference when looking at the shirt:

-5'2" (not quite)
-100lbs
-No chest or hips worth mentioning. I think I'm 32" 24" 32" (chest, waist, hips)

I'm actually pretty averaged-sized for my height, I think. By that I mean, I'm not particularly skinny or anything. Just short without a lot of curves.

rellybob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rellybob

Thanks for posting these!

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat

Thanks for the pics BootsBoots. I think those really drive home the problems with the new blanks.

heidiruth

quality posts: 12 Private Messages heidiruth

Wow...the Anvil looks ridiculous with its weird bell shaped bottom. Who are these shirts made for? I don't know any size or shape of woman that would be flattering on.

SpastasticNomadic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpastasticNomadic

Thanks for posting those, Boots. So, so disappointed with these changes.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

No problem.

thumperchick

quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick

Thanks Boots. The new shirt on your figure shows perfectly what I was trying to describe! (But it didn't photograph so clearly on me.)

For those ladies with a bit *more*, um, everything - that bell/tent shape doesn't help a fuller figure, at all. It accentuates it.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
heidiruth wrote:Wow...the Anvil looks ridiculous with its weird bell shaped bottom.

Who are these shirts made for?

These guys:

move along

mouser882

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mouser882

I was very very disappointed upon hearing about the change in blanks - especially because shirt.woot was the only site I like to buy shirts from because I loved the AA blanks. I like the designs on teefury more often, but because their blanks fit me very poorly I rarely buy from them (too long, not snug enough in the WS, weird fabric that stretches too much and gets out of shape by the end of the day). I don't have as many woot shirts as lots of the people in this thread, but I have at least 30 purchased for myself in the past 4 years. I don't buy them willy-nilly but I check the site every single day. They have held up excellently and I still regularly wear the ones I first bought (my first was the goldfish in the chest pocket).

My hopes were buoyed by the positive remarks from woot staff. Seeing the pictures from people who wore my sizes makes me very disappointed. I'm 5', 100 lbs, and a WS fit me perfectly. I decided I'd rather dry my shirts (I hang dry all my WS's) and now sometimes buy WM's. The WM's were a bit too large before drying them on high to shrink them the first time - within 3/4 wash and dry cycles they are down to my size. With these new blanks not only will no size fit me, since the WS now seems to be the equivalent of a "fitted" shape MM, but drying them will only make them too short with huge sleeves.

Mostly this makes me really sad since I'll have to give up buying shirt.woot shirts. It was cool while it lasted, guys.

heidiruth

quality posts: 12 Private Messages heidiruth
j5 wrote:These guys:

Evidently.

Is anyone at woot still paying attention to this thread and the fit of the blanks that they provided? I'm confused as to whether the shirts were given out to convince us to buy them (which it seems to be doing the opposite) or for woot to be able to see how they looked. And perplexed at how the female staffers who did test-wears for us said anything positive about the fit. It's not really fooling anyone.

Sorry...I'm just frustrated about being too small to fit into a shirt anymore. Guess it's a good thing I ordered a random 3 pack of WM blanks.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
BootsBoots wrote:It just holds that weird bell shape when I wear it.

What the crap?? That bell shirt is ridiculous. I didn't wash my sample shirts yet so I had nooo idea that this is what happens to them. That is...intensely bell-shaped O.O

At least people looking for maternity shirts are in luck?

*edit* on second look.. no, it wouldn't even work for that... I haz a sad now.

*second edit* I'll wash mine tomorrow and post them as soon as they dry. I line-dry my clothes so maybe that will make a difference.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
heidiruth wrote:

Is anyone at woot still paying attention to this thread and the fit of the blanks that they provided? I'm confused as to whether the shirts were given out to convince us to buy them (which it seems to be doing the opposite) or for woot to be able to see how they looked. And perplexed at how the female staffers who did test-wears for us said anything positive about the fit. It's not really fooling anyone.

Sorry...I'm just frustrated about being too small to fit into a shirt anymore. Guess it's a good thing I ordered a random 3 pack of WM blanks.

I am also curious about how this is going over at woot. The user comments have differed quite a bit from what staff members said. Did the female staffers not have this issue with the shirt shrinking, billowing out, losing its shape?

At first I was really excited to hear about the change. I'm one of the girls who had to go for the WXL and even at times it wasn't quite as big as I wished it would be. I even ended up ordering 1 or 2 shirts in men's sizes just to get a shirt with a bit more room. I would like to continue purchasing shirts here, but for now I'm at a loss as to what I should get. I don't want something that will make me look even bigger, which it seems like the anvil shirts will do.

Woot, it seems like the target demo for this change really is not happy and I think we're all starting to wonder if it was worth it. If these blanks were actually tested for so long, how were these issues not noticed before? No woman wants to look bigger than she is, regardless of size, and it seems like that's what these shirts will do.

PS - If I mentioned something here that is covered previously, I'm sorry. I read through quite a few posts, but not all.

ceotty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceotty
BootsBoots wrote:Here's the comparison of the Anvil WS after a wash. It lost a lot of length, but hardly and width. It went from covering my entire butt before the wash to just below the top of my pants after the wash. It was hard to show how wide and it is in a photo, but you can kind of see it when I raise my arms. I didn't pull it out at the sides or anything. It just holds that weird bell shape when I wear it.

Um, wow. That is epically unflattering. :-(

This thread is like some weird obsession of mine. I already know the new shirts aren't going to work for me, but I keep coming back like maybe that will magically change. And in the end I just end up being increasingly annoyed with myself for bothering with the whole thing.

— Cyndy Otty —
http://gentlewit.com

februarystar27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27

Thanks for all the size comparisons, everyone! I'm a longtime lurker who's bought a lot of shirts in the past but none on the new blanks yet.

All my current shirts are WS, and I have to rack-dry them or they shrink too much. I'm also a little heavier than I should be right now, haha, so at the moment a WM would probably fit me better. I'm 5'6" and kind of an hourglassy shape--larger up top, smaller waist, and larger hips. In the AA shirts, the WS fit my waist nicely but it was snug across the chest and the length would get a bit short when washed. But the new WS looks really big. Maybe if I wash it, it would shrink to right about what I need. Which would be nice.

februarystar27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27
BootsBoots wrote:Here's the comparison of the Anvil WS after a wash.

See, that's just insane. I'm of "taller side of average" height, and I have curves with a small(er) waist. And I can fit the WS. And there's something wrong with that. What about women who are shorter, or who are closer to my height but less curvy?

myopicpsyche

quality posts: 0 Private Messages myopicpsyche

also curious about the response from woot. I mean, I could just buy ML and cut them up (count me also in the camp of ladies who won't fit into the new shirt sizes) but if there's no good customer service response to this very major problem, I wonder if I shouldn't take my (three years worth of) business elsewhere instead.

FretlessM

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FretlessM
BootsBoots wrote:Here's the comparison of the Anvil WS after a wash. It lost a lot of length, but hardly and width. It went from covering my entire butt before the wash to just below the top of my pants after the wash. It was hard to show how wide and it is in a photo, but you can kind of see it when I raise my arms. I didn't pull it out at the sides or anything. It just holds that weird bell shape when I wear it.

Edit - Decided to post my general body size, in case that's a helpful reference when looking at the shirt:

-5'2" (not quite)
-100lbs
-No chest or hips worth mentioning. I think I'm 32" 24" 32" (chest, waist, hips)

I'm actually pretty averaged-sized for my height, I think. By that I mean, I'm not particularly skinny or anything. Just short without a lot of curves.

Thanks so much for posting these, Boots! We have almost identical body types. I am so sad! It seems like there is no shirt size for our body type here anymore.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Well.

Without posting dimensions*, this former AA WXL/MM just got her "Too Many Cooks" print in WM (Anvil). Here's the scoop from someone who didn't get the opportunity to test things out for a variety of reasons.

Length: Longer than I'm used to. Apparently that will shrink. I'm just trying it on for science so right now it's really noticeable to me.
Softness: Acceptable!
Snugness: Less snug but still snug aka snug without being all "ahem, why hello there/ eyes front, soldier" about it. I feel comfortable throwing this in the wash. Yes, I also throw my woot shirts in the dryer if I have enough quarters.
Assessment #1: I will be on the hunt for a print I wouldn't mind having in WL, just for comparison purposes. Once I have one of those, I'll figure out what I need to buy more.

Also, the print is just as adorable in person as I thought it would be.

*I'm kinda shy really! So no body pics either.

I'm just hanging out, really.

dioxazine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dioxazine
inkycatz wrote:Snugness: Less snug but still snug

Wear the shirt for a few hours and let us know how the tent feels!

monicaadalsteinsson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monicaadalsteinsson

I wish I would have found this thread BEFORE I ordered two shirts... I didn't know about the t-shirt changes, ugh!

I usually order a WM (I'm 5'1", 110 lbs and WS fit too tight in the chest for me), but it looks these will be huge!

How do I get rid of my new shirts that are coming in, is there a site where I can trade with someone?

Thank you for the photo comparisons!

Maybe when they get here I'll post a couple pics..

Monica Adalsteinsson

trickycoolj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trickycoolj

Cross posting from the main Anvil thread:

Been keeping an eye on the drastic change in women's shirts. Based on what I've seen nothing will fit me properly unless I start ordering a Mens size and that means sleeves to my elbows, and too long shoulders, it just looks off. Anyway, when doing my laundry I remembered I had a freebie ladies tee from PAX that I consistently wear to lounge around the house (the design is a giant ad for D&D Online). It's a Hanes Silver Label women's shirt. It has a little more of a hourglass shape, but doesn't stretch as many have reported the Anvils did. I believe it shrunk a little shorter but not obnoxiously so, I can still workout in it and not have my tummy hang out when my arms are lifted. Might be worth looking into. FWIW I'm an AAWL and this Hanes shirt fits in WS but WM would be better (couldn't pick size on the freebie) so it might offer a better women's range.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
monicaadalsteinsson wrote:I wish I would have found this thread BEFORE I ordered two shirts... I didn't know about the t-shirt changes, ugh!

I usually order a WM (I'm 5'1", 110 lbs and WS fit too tight in the chest for me), but it looks these will be huge!

How do I get rid of my new shirts that are coming in, is there a site where I can trade with someone?

Thank you for the photo comparisons!

Maybe when they get here I'll post a couple pics..

the switch isn't complete yet. In fact it is mostly mens that had a change at the moment. If the order has shipped already wait till it gets there to check the blank style. Otherwise you should be able to cancel your order.

Thread on woot

Also teetrade.org

inkycatz

monicaadalsteinsson wrote:

You may find your best bet is Tee Trade. Lots of people seem to have good results that way.

inkycatz

dioxazine wrote:Wear the shirt for a few hours and let us know how the tent feels!

I'll check in Thursday, since I'm wearing it then! It'll get the all-day test then, this was just a 'pop it on for science' deal. I will also be able to report back on any comments I get, too.

monicaadalsteinsson

I emailed Woot! Services, here is what I sent:

" I just discovered that you changed shirt vendors... And I've already places 2 orders under the new sizes. I just placed an order (#XXXXXXXX) for the Tickles to tinkles t-shirt for a WM, is it too late to switch it to a WS?
I guess it's too late to change my last order for the playing Koi ( order #XXXXXXXX) to a WS too?"

I got this message back regarding the shirts that I ordered:

"These shirts are actually being printed on American Apparel, not Anvil. We'll keep the order as is.

You can determine which shirts we are printing on by scrolling down to the end of each shirt description. If the shirt is going on the new blanks, a yellow/gold box will confirm it for you."

I'm so happy that I am not going to get the ugly bell shirts! :D

Monica Adalsteinsson

monicaadalsteinsson

blanked wrote:the switch isn't complete yet. In fact it is mostly mens that had a change at the moment. If the order has shipped already wait till it gets there to check the blank style. Otherwise you should be able to cancel your order.

Thread on woot

Also teetrade.org

Thank you for the links and info! And thanks to inkycatz for the link too!

Monica Adalsteinsson

carpeamentum

quality posts: 2 Private Messages carpeamentum

Wow, and I thought the Anvil shirts looked bad before washing... those are hideously unflattering on you. (unlike the AA shirt)

raven13

quality posts: 4 Private Messages raven13

Grumble grumble...stupid vanity sizing...

(Please be kind to me fellow wooters, I'm really taking a chance here posting such personal stuff.)

I used to be one of the aforementioned "beanpoles"; I graduated high school 3 years ago weighing about 110 pounds, and I am 5' nothing.
About 6 months later, I started a massive medical-issue-related weight gain of about 75 lbs, and unfortunately haven't been able to shake it just yet.
I discovered woot close to a year ago, and have been wearing WL and have been happy with them. My only issue with the AA's was that the shirt would ride up a lot, but honestly it wasn't a huge problem.
Now with the Anvil blanks I *should* be a WS. But I fear the length decrease. Even though I am chunky, I am still small framed, so I really don't want to swim in the WM. I like the fittedness of the current AA blanks and I don't want to have to recover my sweater cows with a search party on a regular basis. (Which, by the way, is the BEST euphanism for boobs ever.)
As soon as my health gets back in check, I want to lose all this extra weight. But even if I do that, I STILL won't be able to wear the new blanks. I guess I just can't win, and I'm sure I'm not the only lady in this kind of situation.
I completely agree with the earlier poster who said something along the lines of, "I didn't think accommodating the larger ladies would be at the cost of the smaller ones".

I'm really upset about this whole thing, probably even more than I should be. I love this site- the art and the community cannot be replicated, so I really don't want to stop buying. I will probably do the same as many other ladies in this thread have said they would do- buy a WS when I find a design I absolutely love and see how it goes. Even if it's terrible, I could maybe still layer it or something. (Although that bell thing is the most abysmal thing I've ever seen on a person...)

/end probably a little too personal dump.

Breathe me in, I'm yours to keep.

Woots: 4
Home.Woots: 1
Shirts: 53: 30 for myself, 23 for friends/family.

whovian88760

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whovian88760

I really would like to request a WXS. Looking at the picture testimonies, WS seems unwearable now.

jehnihphur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jehnihphur
whovian88760 wrote:I really would like to request a WXS. Looking at the picture testimonies, WS seems unwearable now.

I shudder to think how short a WXS would be after running through the drier. :P

jackie31337

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jackie31337

Hooray! Now the women's XL is actually bigger than the kid's 12! I am super excited that I can finally get a women's shirt big enough to fit me.

schlady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schlady
jackie31337 wrote:Hooray! Now the women's XL is actually bigger than the kid's 12! I am super excited that I can finally get a women's shirt big enough to fit me.

Yes!! I'm quite excited about these shirts, at least to give them a try! I always wear a men's medium for t-shirts, because women's sizes, even XLs, are always way too tight especially in the armpit area and sometimes around the hips. (I have a few women's 2XLs from other tee sites, and even that's been a gamble as to whether it's a perfect fit or still too small.)

For those complaining about the size and shapeliness of the new shirts, it sounds like it's the opposite problem of what has traditionally been happening: instead of bigger ladies having to settle for unflattering men's sizes, now the more petite ladies may have to settle for the XS sizes or even kid's sizes to avoid the larger curvier shirts.
Not sure if there will ever be a perfect solution to this, but hopefully shirt.woot will continue exploring other shirt options in the future so there can be more satisfied tee-flaunting people!

"Way to leave room for the rest of us, John."

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
jackie31337 wrote:Hooray! Now the women's XL is actually bigger than the kid's 12! I am super excited that I can finally get a women's shirt big enough to fit me.

The women's XL was always bigger than the kid's 12. Yes, AA ran ridiculously small, but there's really no need to exaggerate.

@schlady...where is this XS that petite women will have to settle for? There is not an XS option and kid's sizing is far too short, as can be seen in pics people have posted.

schlady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schlady
elankat wrote:@schlady...where is this XS that petite women will have to settle for? There is not an XS option and kid's sizing is far too short, as can be seen in pics people have posted.

Ooops, I meant S, the smallest size in either men's or women's (I was thinking of another shirt brand, d'oh). Men's S at least gives wearers quite a bit of length to work with. Unfortunately it comes down to the choice of either being too baggy in circumference or just too short...

Gosh, what a way to celebrate International Women's Day... not being able to concoct the perfect t-shirt for ladies of all sizes! *sigh*

"Way to leave room for the rest of us, John."

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 117 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

inkycatz wrote:I'll check in Thursday, since I'm wearing it then! It'll get the all-day test then, this was just a 'pop it on for science' deal. I will also be able to report back on any comments I get, too.

I have seen her in her shirt and can confirm good fittingness- she was wearing a WM and I say with all the respect in the world that it looked roomy and larger than the old style and fit her figure better.

I haven't tried them out yet myself, but I'm actually kinda excited to now! I pretty much only wear Woot shirts and if I can feel better in them like the inkster does, I'm all for it.

thesnarticus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thesnarticus

Woot Staff:

So what are the smaller women to do? Why can't AA (or something comparable) still be offered for us smaller women, even at a few bucks more? Kids' shirts are too short and the new women's way too big.

Although, even if the Anvil shirts fit me, I wouldn't wear them. They are hideous on people, not to mention I won't support companies that are so unhealthy for our environment.

Hades, I'd settle for another company that isn't AA if it was environmentally friendlier than Anvil and actually fit me.

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
agingdragqueen wrote:I have seen her in her shirt and can confirm good fittingness- she was wearing a WM and I say with all the respect in the world that it looked roomy and larger than the old style and fit her figure better.

I haven't tried them out yet myself, but I'm actually kinda excited to now! I pretty much only wear Woot shirts and if I can feel better in them like the inkster does, I'm all for it.

Out of 10 pages, only one post (from staff) says that Anvil fit is perfect and it won't even come with
a pic (conveniently). #Snakeoil

ps : This's not an "attack" on Woot staff, just an observation. Feel free to delete if breaks any forum rules.

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

inkycatz

chennai8 wrote:Out of 10 pages, only one post (from staff) says that Anvil fit is perfect and it won't even come with

ps : This's not an "attack" on Woot staff, just an observation. Feel free to delete if breaks any forum rules.

Honestly, it's just because I have personal issues with my picture being posted.

Don't hate because I have issues.

spacegirlag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacegirlag
chennai8 wrote:Out of 10 pages, only one post (from staff) says that Anvil fit is perfect and it won't even come with

i think this is the concern most people have. we've been told from the beginning that the woot staffers are all happy with the new blanks, and that they fit well, but that doesn't jive with the stories from wooters that received blanks, or people that have ordered new shirts on the Anvil blanks.

we're getting two completely contradictory stories, and it's getting harder and harder to believe the woot staffers because all the average-joe wooters are posting pics of the problems with the shirts.

i'm not saying anyone is telling anything less than the god's honest truth, but surely the woot staffers can see from where our concern as customers stems.

help us out, staffers. tell us why the shirts are fitting you better than they fit the vocal wooters who've posted pics. (especially boots - that bell-bottom shirt looks ridiculous). thank you in advance.