+ Add a Comment

thumperchick

quality posts: 209 Private Messages thumperchick
chellemonkey wrote:Thumperchick, do you happen to have any MXL lying around you could compare it to? (although I have lost about 20lbs the past couple months and am still losing so it probably won't matter soon) because I usually buy MXL of AA tees

Hey, what do you want compared to an MXL? A new WXL? A new ML?

Here is a new ML against an AA MXL:

And reversed:

AND here is AA MXL against Anvil WXL:

reversed:

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
agingdragqueen wrote:She's the same person!

takes bubba notes.

move along

thumperchick

agingdragqueen wrote:She's the same person! And thank you so much for your review. Excellent photos and testing, I'm interested to see how they hold up in the wash!

inkycatz wrote:Thank YOU for putting this together with a bunch of pictures!

No problem guys! I'm pretty stoked that you're letting some of us test run them.

Now... if someone wants to send my husband thurmanite a men's XL, 2XL, 3XL (or really just 2-3X)- I could rock both sides of the review. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Wow--that looks like I can get women's sizes.

*shock*

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 105 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

YAY, woot sent me some free shirts in the new woman's sizes. I received 2 grass green shirts -- how did you know that was my favorite color woot? I have a small and a medium, both woman's sizes.

I am 5'5" and used to be a WM in the old blanks. The old blanks fit very snugly on the shoulders after a wash and I was never a huge fan of that. I'm now pretty sure I'm a WS in the Anvil blanks. I still have to wash these new blanks and see what my drier does to them, but I'm very happy with the fit.

Click to get this image all big! =D

Here's a side by side for the woman's shirts. I can already say I like the collar more than the old blanks. It's not shown in these photos but it's not be as tight around the neck.

I have moved down a size from WM in AA to WS in the new Anvil blanks, but you can compare the Anvil WM to the AA and I think I could also wear that size if I wanted a less snug fit.

Also even though I'm losing more length going from WM to the new WS it doesn't look that short in the photos... but I may need to wash the new shirts to see the real difference there.

ellegee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ellegee

These reviews do wonders for my size questions, thanks so much! Though I am pouting a bit that there was no surprise in my mailbox Just kidding of course, it's awesome of woot to send samples to the active forum members so they could review them, kudos!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
DianaSprinkle wrote:YAY, woot sent me some free shirts in the new woman's sizes. I received 2 grass green shirts -- how did you know that was my favorite color woot?

Green is cool, also thank you for the side by side shots - it really demonstrates things well!

I'm just hanging out, really.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

Barbara was super-awesome and sent me some new blanks as well. Since I qualify as a "beanpole" lady, I will show you how they fit with my terrible, terrible photobooth photos. This is because I couldn't get my significant other away from Skyrim long enough to take pictures of me with my good camera.

These pictures should give you a good idea of how the new WS and the K10 fit on a skinny woman. They will also give you an idea of how cluttered my studio is.

Here is an old WS on top of the new one.

The new WS is longer at the bottom, as you'll see. *it doesn't look like it is in this photo* The inseams are wider and the sleeves are longer, but the shoulders are about the same size as the old one.

Here is me wearing the old WS.

I like it because it makes me feel like a lady. I am a lady so that makes sense to me. The only problems I have with AA are that the waist is a little too tight and sometimes the armpits bunch up. I like the fit in general so those issues don't stop me from wearing the shirts.

Here is the new WS.

I don't like it...nope. To echo Boots' earlier statements: "boo!". It's just too big. The sleeves stick out too much for me. The only positive is that one could easily sew up the inseam to make it smaller since the shoulders are the same as the old WS. You still have the bell-shaped sleeves after that though. Oh yea and it's very long...which is the least of the problems for me. Also, I don't want to buy a sewing machine just for my woot shirts.
*edit: I forgot to add that my bewbs are invisible in this shirt. They are like newborn sweater-calves *
Here is the K10. I didn't do a flat comparison with the old WS and this size, but I'll post one if anyone would like to see.

This seems to fit around the torso a little more like the old WS, but the sleeves are frickin' huge! I'd have to shorten the sleeves and take in the inseam a bit before I'd wear this out.

To summarize my shirt testing: The fabric is comparable to the AA shirts. It's not the chunky, stiff shirt that I first expected.

I'd like a women's XS. I dooooo NOT like the fit of the new WS. My mom will probably like the new fit as she is my size, but 60 years old and does not wear skinny jeans. I'd like to note also that I am not a hipster, I just like skinny jeans O.O

If you'd like to see more and/or better pictures I'd be happy to post some.

gayemeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gayemeyer

very helpful, Ocho. Thank you for posting the photos.

thumperchick

ochopika wrote:a great example of the new "curvy" sizes on a petite frame.

So the sleeves ARE just odd - on smaller and larger women, the sleeves are weird.

Your pics make me wonder if a MXS or WXS would be an appropriate fix for ladies with your build. Do you think the hip flare would be flattering if the shirt actually fit you? Or do you prefer the straight lines, and let your curves fill the shirt out?

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
thumperchick wrote:So the sleeves ARE just odd - on smaller and larger women, the sleeves are weird.

Your pics make me wonder if a MXS or WXS would be an appropriate fix for ladies with your build. Do you think the hip flare would be flattering if the shirt actually fit you? Or do you prefer the straight lines, and let your curves fill the shirt out?

The sleeves are the most bothersome part of the fit. I'd really prefer them shorter.

I wouldn't mind a slight hip flare if it wasn't too much. AA shirts could have used a little flare out at the bottom.

However, I would rather have the straight lines and have it be a tiny bit too tight if it means I get a shirt that flatters the rest of me.

rellybob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rellybob

Thank you guys so much for the pics and reviews! And thanks to woot for sending out some samples!

gameon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gameon

I had just figured out what size fit best in the old style and now I have to start over. *sigh* I think I might like that the new lengths are a bit shorter, but am concerned about the shirt looking too wide.

gittygrrl wrote: I have rather thin arms and the arms on the new shirt looks quite a bit bigger than the old ones in the side-by-side comparison picture.

I also have thin arms and one of my biggest short sleeve shirt dilemmas is finding sleeves that aren't unflatteringly big around my arms.

I wish Woot would've added a size or two larger in the women's sizes and stayed with the old fit and cut. Just my opinion.

Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised by the new blanks.

Thank you everyone who submitted pics for comparisons. Unfortunately it looks like Ochopika's pics may confirm my arm-hole being too large issue.

I was thinking that I'd have to go for a WM in the new sizes, but with the WS looking so long now I don't know. So scratch what I said earlier about the lengths ...

Pardon my long ramblings, I was commenting as I read through. I guess I'll just have to order one and see how it goes from there.

**editing to add: Just ran off to the reckoning and ordered Nevermore (even though I've heard about the fading issues, but I really wanted one.) I was waiting until it went to the danger zone but it looks like it's still in the old sizes according to the size chart so fingers crossed I'll get the old.

My site: Thought Provoking Shirts - designs to make you think and laugh at the same time.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots

Here are my photos to add to the mix. I got a new women's small and a new Kids 10 (thanks, Woot!). I'm 5'2" and about 100 lbs. Both shirts were unwearable for me, but the material was really nice! If you're worried about them being thick or stiff or scratchy, don't! The fabric's nice and soft.

The new women's small: It's huge and really unflattering. It's like a bag across the chest and waist and it flares out at the bottom like a tent. I imagine it's really nice if you have a chest and hips to fill it out, but I don't.

The K-10: It's not an option. It's narrower than the new WS, but it's too short to wear and the sleeves are really long.

Here are the photos (the AA has been washed and new ones haven't yet):

Bonus image! I had my 6'5" boyfriend and my D-cup friend try on the new women's small as well. My boyfriend said that if the sleeves and length were an inch longer, it'd fit him better than any shirt he's ever owned. My friend had the tenting at the bottom problem too and wouldn't wear the WS (even though she's an AA medium-large).

So... these kind of fit so poorly that I wont buy any Woot shirts for myself anymore. Even if I really love a design. Boo.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
BootsBoots wrote:Boots' pics of new shirts

we're about the same size. (you got me beat by 1/2"!!) Thanks for posting the pics. I really think a men's XS would be perfect. They were my favorite size when threadless had them for a little while.

Wow. I just added up how many woot shirts i've bought. The first one was nov 2007 the last one yesterday. In total I have bought 97 shirts!!! did not realize I'd bought that many. That's a lot of money. These new shirt blanks look to be a blessing in disguise!!

ceotty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceotty

Thanks ochopika and BootsBoots for posting your photos and reviews. They were very helpful to me.

Unfortunately, they confirmed my suspicion that the Anvil tees are not going to fit me as well as the AA tees did. Alas.

So, Shirt.Woot, I reiterate my question from page 5:

ceotty wrote:How possible is it for Shirt.Woot to add other women's styles/sizes, e.g. http://www.anvilknitwear.com/Product-Catalogs/Womens/458 or http://www.anvilknitwear.com/Product-Catalogs/Womens/498?
— Cyndy Otty —
http://gentlewit.com

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
BootsBoots wrote:Here are my photos to add to the mix. I got a new women's small and a new Kids 10 (thanks, Woot!). I'm 5'2" and about 100 lbs. Both shirts were unwearable for me, but the material was really nice!

The new women's small: It's huge and really unflattering. It's like a bag across the chest and waist and it flares out at the bottom like a tent.

So... these kind of fit so poorly that I wont buy any Woot shirts for myself anymore. Even if I really love a design. Boo.

BOOO indeed! Petite girls wearing over sized shirts makes me sad. Very unflattering indeed. The new shirts get 5 out of 5.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 105 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

LOL, I found an unwashed AA shirt so here's some more comparisons shots laid flat.

Click for bigger image.

Here they are overlayed on each other for a closer comparison.

And for the curious here's the strange way that the old WM AA blanks would shrink. They seem to get shorter and wider except in the shoulders width which shrank by about an inch...

I'll wear the new blanks and wash them to see what happens. I hope these help.

spacegirlag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacegirlag

thanks so much to all the ladies who've posted their pics and reviews of the new blanks. i'm still not sure what size to change to, since i'm not the same size as any of the women who've posted so far. guess i'll do what a lot of others seem to be planning, and just buy one size down from what i wore previously, and see if it fits. if not, i'll adjust from there.

thanks to woot for sending blanks to the constant-posters, so they can let the rest of us know an honest opinion.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
BootsBoots wrote:Boot's pics

I usually wear a men's medium in AA for a loose, comfortable fit. Women's AA sizes are too fitted, I just don't find them comfortable. Now I'm even more confused which size to buy in the new shirts. Are they going to be too big? I don't know. :/

slbecknc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slbecknc

The T-shirt I want to buy still has a link to the old sizing chart... is that accurate or will all women's shirts now be made in the new size guideline?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

What I posted elsewhere

Rather the repeat. I feel for those who liked the AA sizes.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
slbecknc wrote:The T-shirt I want to buy still has a link to the old sizing chart... is that accurate or will all women's shirts now be made in the new size guideline?

should be. I went ahead and bought the shirt in the reckoning I wanted before it sells out and moves the the new blanks.

lightningkyria

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lightningkyria

Thank you very much ochopika and BootsBoots for the pictures. Since I'm a beanpole as well it was very helpful to see comparisons of the new and old shirts. Looks like the new WS won't work on me at all either and will just end up looking weird. We really just need a few extra sizes now to cover the new gaps (or old ones). An XS seems to be necessary as well as a few larger sizes (from what I've read).

On a side note, I am very happy for the women who can fit into these new shirts. I'm sure many of you are excited and that's pretty awesome. :D

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
DianaSprinkle wrote:LOL, I found an unwashed AA shirt so here's some more comparisons shots laid flat.

Click for bigger image.

Here they are overlayed on each other for a closer comparison.

And for the curious here's the strange way that the old WM AA blanks would shrink. They seem to get shorter and wider except in the shoulders width which shrank by about an inch...

I'll wear the new blanks and wash them to see what happens. I hope these help.

It looks like the washed one got shorter, and wider?

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

**Re-posted again from the Test Blanks + Anvil Announcement threads**

Was genuinely surprised to find a package of blanks when I got home this evening, as Woot typically never really likes what I have to say. ;) Regardless, here's my brutally honest assessment, for the rest of the "fey little fancy-boy" demographic.

I wore a K12 in the old AA sizes, which offered the fitted (but not tight) look that I prefer for my tees. I've got small shoulders and arms for a guy (check out my 7.5" pythons!!) so the width was great, and the length hit right around waistband level. My one gripe was that the sleeves were a little short and looked a bit effeminate.

I received 3 blanks in the new Anvil sizes, WM, WS, and K12. (Probably because I typically order shirts for both myself, and for my sister.) For Potty Emergency! and giggles, I tried the ladies' tees on. Predictably, they were too big. Although the straight cut of the AA shirts meant I could get away with the old WS or WM (despite the short sleeves again!) the 'curvy' cut of the Anvil ones make them an absolute no-go. Severely limits my tee-trade options, but what can you do.

Sister is a tiny slip of a thing (im guessing about about 5'3" and 105 lbs?), but likes her shirts roomy, and so ultimately preferred the AA WM cut. She'd probably be insulted by a kids' size, so if I were to surprise her with another Woot shirt as a gift, I'd probably go with the WS.

On to the K12. I was pleasantly surprised, out of the package, that the fabric felt softer than expected - pretty comparable to the AAs. Not sure how it will take to a couple of washes; I live in a tiny NYC apt, so things are usually sink-washed and rack-dried, rather than burning money in a laundromat. This also means 'shrinking' the shirt isn't really an option; shame that, because the K12 felt considerably larger/longer than the AA. However, the sleeves are a good couple of inches longer, which is a big plus in Anvil's favour.

Thank you Woot, for the blanks, though I sadly still don't know which size I wear! I'm guessing that those of us who used to order the K12s will probably fall somewhere in the K8 or K10 range.

I've gotten selective about designs over the years, so I guess I'll be waiting for a real must-have (something along the lines of a TruffleShuffle monster, some quirky VonMonkey goodness, an Edgar masterpiece, or another Katie Kaboomin' RGlee/Kasey mashup, hint, hint) before I bite the bullet and try my luck with the new kids' sizes.

morgankohl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morgankohl

Thank you, Boots and Ochopika. Now I don't have to waste my money on a terrible shirt that won't fit me in a million years. I'd look like a 12 year old in a potato sack. Pardon me, but you both looked awful! This is a truly sad day in Shirt Woot history. To be completely frank, I think it's crap that the women who previously wore the WS weren't considered at all when this decision was made. It was obvious to all involved that everyone would be going down a size, yet we did not get offered a size to go down to. It's rubbish!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Boots and ocho, thank you for posting your impressions!

I'm just hanging out, really.

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement

Dear Woot Overlords/Overladies,

Will one of the expansions allowed by the new changes be a broader range of sizing options?

In particular, the WXS and tall sizes are getting an awful lot of requests. If that's in the works, announcing it would probably ease some of the current gnashing of teeth.

(You could even highlight, for those who don't put it together themselves, that specialty sizes and more options have lower profit margins, which is why you don't offer everything in every size variation forever, and that offering Talls simply wasn't fiscally possible before.)

caramelarrow

quality posts: 12 Private Messages caramelarrow

I'm sending out a BIG "Thank You" to all of the ladies who have posted photos of the new/old shirts. They are very helpful!!

I agree that in the photos the new small is simply too large :-) I'm so sorry that Ocho and Boots (and others) can no longer find a shirt that is small enough for them to feel comfortable and feminine. So, shirt.woot decision makers, please find a way to increase your size offerings for smaller and larger Wooters. (I noticed that Tanga announced today that their shirt site, LOLShirts, is now offering 4X and 5X sizes.)

rozax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rozax

I typically don't purchase in "lady sizes". Those little flaps for sleeves are a joke (seriously, WHY can't we have real sleeves???) and I really don't care for the the shirt to cling to my body. All most ladies (the ones with whom I associate, anyway) and I really want is for the shirt to account for our chest size. That's all. A little extra fabric up top so we don't stretch out the design. Simple as that. Leaving our sleeves intact, thank you.

This isn't to say, "Nix the babydoll T!" seeing as so many like it, but many of us would like a...fuller option. Not to be confused with "plus size". And that isn't to say ThinkGeek's "classic women's cut" is any better, seeing as that fit doesn't sit right, either. You lift up your arms and your entire belly is exposed. After close examination, I can blame the sleeves in this case, too.

thewronggrape

quality posts: 44 Private Messages thewronggrape
DianaSprinkle wrote:LOL, I found an unwashed AA shirt so here's some more comparisons shots laid flat.

Click for bigger image.

Woah, the new WS is bigger than the old WM! What a huge difference.

thumperchick

Okay, I ran the Anvil blanks through the laundry. With: Cold water, Fabric softener, Medium heat at "optimal" setting. On my machine, it's the shortest, lowest heat setting that gets everything dry.

Now that the manufacturing starch is out of the fabric, I did a "pet" test. As in, I set the new blanks next to the AA tees and petted them. Both are soft. The AA is marginally softer than the Anvil, but not by much.

The seams on the Anvil WXL blank did not twist in the wash/dry. They stayed where they should be.

But wow did we lose some length.
So, here's what a comparison of AA WXL on AA ML shirts - washed many times on the Anvil WXL - never washed:

Now, we have the same shirts, AAWXL, AAML, ANVWXL - same order all washed and dried:

As you can see, we lost a significant amount of length (I'm now sorry I didn't break out the measuring tape earlier.). Not enough to make it a deal break on even my long torso - but if you are very tall, it could prove problematic.

And here's the comparison of AAML - washed Vs. ANVML unwashed:

And now the same shirts after a wash:

Again, we see a significant loss of length. But on this particular size, we can now see the width lost on the ANVML:

So - as far as the men's sizes, your sleeves will be a bit longer, but you can stay the same size - if you can afford to lose 1/4-1/2" of length when all is said and done.

Ladies - From my experience, our shirts lose more length in the wash. My Anvil WXL blank is now shorter than my AA ML. I don't see this being an issue for me in particular, due to the new cut. But keep it in mind.

Oh, here's the AAWXL on ANVWXL - both washed:

I'll wear my 2 blanks this week and let you know what I run into.

thumperchick

fishbiscuit5 wrote:I usually wear a men's medium in AA for a loose, comfortable fit. Women's AA sizes are too fitted, I just don't find them comfortable. Now I'm even more confused which size to buy in the new shirts. Are they going to be too big? I don't know. :/

I would say that if you are happy with the AA ML now, you should be good with the same size in Anvil. You may lose 1/4-1/2" in length and have longer sleeves - but the cut and sizing on men's shirts is staying pretty close to what it is now.

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer

This thread (and the other two "new shirt" threads) is priceless! Thank you all so, so, so much for your honest and helpful reviews. I think I'm still going to need to try out a few different sizes to figure out which one will work for me, but it's great to have a starting place to work from.

I have to admit I'm pretty excited to try the new women's sizes. Up until now even the WXL was WAAAAYYY too small to fit my, um, curvaceous awesomeness. In fact, I have never before found a "women's style" shirt that felt as comfortable on my body as men's or unisex so I won't be holding my breath. That said, the new shirts do look like they might be proportioned right for me. I'm looking forward to the shorter cut, because my torso is kinda more squat than elongated so shirts that fall at my actual waist (rather than hip) are great for me. I'm also someone who appreciates a little length on my sleeves (to get past the chunky upper arm bits) so while I know a lot of ladies are sad about how big the new sleeves are, I'm glad to see these aren't the typical cut-off "cap" sleeves.

I'm probably going to wait until there's a design that really catches my eye to try the women's sizes, but I'll try to post my own review once I have a new shirt in hand.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
thumperchick wrote:I would say that if you are happy with the AA ML now, you should be good with the same size in Anvil. You may lose 1/4-1/2" in length and have longer sleeves - but the cut and sizing on men's shirts is staying pretty close to what it is now.

My question was about women's sizes. I would like to switch to a women's shirt and was hoping Anvil would be better than AA in ladies sizes. My question was, I've been wearing AA men's medium comfortably, what is the equivalent women's size in Anvil, not the men's size. I already know the men's sizes are fairly comparable other than length. It would be nice to wear a shirt made for a woman instead of a man or teenage girl.

gliowien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gliowien

Yikes, I haven't been on woot for a while and hastily ordered Aquired taste when it was in danger zone last time and ordered one size above my usual size which was WL, which means I will now get a t-shirt in the new WXL... This should be interesting... Lol!

So XS is the new L?

(this is more confusing then H&M, although I am happy that the sizes went up, not down like the rest of the world)

Ooooh, seeing date of this post, makes me hope that I ordered before provider was changed, but we'll see, in worst case it might be a good present or pillow) ;)

eeschultz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eeschultz

I used to think I was the only one frustrated, trying to dress a 6'1"/hourglassy frame, but the more women I talk to, the more I realize that almost no one has consistent success shopping off-the-rack. "Too tall", "too short," "too big," "too small," one area of the body the "wrong" size in proportion to the rest - it's constant frustration and can really leave you feeling bad about yourself.

I've been doing all right in WL/WXL, and I just tried MM and liked it pretty well. I'm excited to try the new WL and see if it's a better fit for me. At the same time, I feel bad that my gain is currently the petite ladies' loss, as there is currently not an option for the smallest-framed women.

I hope that this is just the "growing pains" stage and that woot is able to work out the kinks and come up with sizing options that get everybody back in fun new t-shirts again soon!

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat

The pics I'm seeing are very disheartening. Although I have curves, I don't like t-shirts that have a longer sleeve with tent-like fit in the midsection, and that's what I'm seeing in the pics.

It's going to take an amazing shirt to get me to place another order for myself.

heidiruth

quality posts: 12 Private Messages heidiruth

Thanks for the pics, ladies. I'm going to have to let out a big sigh of disappointment, as I fall into the "beanpole" category and loved the fit of the old WM. It looks like a new WS will be a tent on me though.

I'm very happy for all the ladies who can wear women's sizes now. Just very sad that I won't be able to wear any size and have it be flattering.