+ Add a Comment

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Sounds like Woot needs to add a "misses" option.

Edit: I meant "juniors"

move along

morgankohl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morgankohl
fishbiscuit5 wrote:It would be nice to wear a shirt made for a woman instead of a man or teenage girl.

Pray tell, what's your definition of a woman?

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

fishbiscuit5 wrote:It would be nice to wear a shirt made for a woman instead of a man or teenage girl.

Please consider your language. One is not a teenage girl for a lack of shape any more than one is overweight for an endowment of shape. One is just as much "woman" as the other.

I direct this gentle reminder to everyone talking about sizing. People were respectful of all sizes in the old "please add more sizing" threads. It would be nice if people continued to be respectful of all sizes in these newer threads. Let's not get into any Othering attitudes, please?

thumperchick

quality posts: 240 Private Messages thumperchick
fishbiscuit5 wrote:My question was about women's sizes. I would like to switch to a women's shirt and was hoping Anvil would be better than AA in ladies sizes. My question was, I've been wearing AA men's medium comfortably, what is the equivalent women's size in Anvil, not the men's size. I already know the men's sizes are fairly comparable other than length. It would be nice to wear a shirt made for a woman instead of a man or teenage girl.

From the pictures in this thread, I think a WS may work for you.

*edit*

So, I wore my washed ANV WXL all morning. It's doing something I hate. Instead of holding it's shape, it's slowly billowing out everywhere below the bust. This added to the loss of length from shrinkage makes this shirt hit just below my belt loops and billow/wrinkle around the back and mid-section. This is a particular pet peeve of mine. If I'm wearing a ribbed tank and it does this, it becomes a rag. While a shirt shouldn't be skin tight, it should hold it's shape and skim over the body.
Anyone else run into this?

I'll try the new ANV ML tomorrow and let you know if this happens there as well.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
fishbiscuit5 wrote:My question was about women's sizes. I would like to switch to a women's shirt and was hoping Anvil would be better than AA in ladies sizes. My question was, I've been wearing AA men's medium comfortably, what is the equivalent women's size in Anvil, not the men's size. I already know the men's sizes are fairly comparable other than length. It would be nice to wear a shirt made for a woman instead of a man or teenage girl.

If you wore an AA men's medium before and you don't mind losing about an inch or so in the sleeve and torso length, then go for the Anvil women's small. You can see the photo I posted before of my boyfriend in the Anvil Women's small (he wears an AA Men's Medium). It fits him really well except for the length (but he's ridiculously tall at 6'5"). Just for you, here are photos of the Anvil WS and the AA MM together.

The Anvil WS is slightly wider than the men's AA in the chest and hips, but tapers in slightly in the stomach area. The sleeves are a little bit shorter than the AA men's, but not as much as in the first photo. They're cut so that it's hard to lay them flat when the rest of the shirt is laid out. See the second photo for the sleeve comparison.

BootsBoots

goldenthorn wrote:Please consider your language. One is not a teenage girl for a lack of shape any more than one is overweight for an endowment of shape. One is just as much "woman" as the other.

I direct this gentle reminder to everyone talking about sizing. People were respectful of all sizes in the old "please add more sizing" threads. It would be nice if people continued to be respectful of all sizes in these newer threads. Let's not get into any Othering attitudes, please?

Just a note about people getting offended... I don't see why it's offensive to be likened to something other than a "real woman." I know I'm built like a beanpole or a teenage girl. It's an accurate description, and it really doesn't bother me to hear it. I'm sure everyone knows I'm actually a woman and not a pre-teen or a gardening stake, so I don't really see what's so offensive about the comparison.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
goldenthorn wrote:Please consider your language. One is not a teenage girl for a lack of shape any more than one is overweight for an endowment of shape. One is just as much "woman" as the other.

I meant no disrespect. AA women's shirts are made for junior sizes. That's all I meant by it. Apologies if I offended, but I would never try to hurt anyone on purpose. That's just not me. I would be more than happy if I could wear a juniors size but unfortunately, they don't fit me in the chest area.

fishbiscuit5

BootsBoots wrote:Just a note about people getting offended... I don't see why it's offensive to be likened to something other than a "real woman." I know I'm built like a beanpole or a teenage girl. It's an accurate description, and it really doesn't bother me to hear it. I'm sure everyone knows I'm actually a woman and not a pre-teen or a gardening stake, so I don't really see what's so offensive about the comparison.

Thanks, Boots. You know me and I would never mean to say something offensive. I was just talking about clothing sizes not women's bodies. I was certainly not trying to offend my sisters in our quest to find the perfect t-shirt size.

fishbiscuit5

thumperchick wrote:From the pictures in this thread, I think a WS may work for you.

*edit*

So, I wore my washed ANV WXL all morning. It's doing something I hate. Instead of holding it's shape, it's slowly billowing out everywhere below the bust. This added to the loss of length from shrinkage makes this shirt hit just below my belt loops and billow/wrinkle around the back and mid-section. This is a particular pet peeve of mine. If I'm wearing a ribbed tank and it does this, it becomes a rag. While a shirt shouldn't be skin tight, it should hold it's shape and skim over the body.

I'll try the new ANV ML tomorrow and let you know if this happens there as well.

Thank you for the detailed feedback! I really appreciate everyone's input in trying to pick the right size in the new shirts.

BootsBoots

fishbiscuit5 wrote:Thanks, Boots. You know me and I would never mean to say something offensive. I was just talking about clothing sizes not women's bodies. I was certainly not trying to offend my sisters in our quest to find the perfect t-shirt size.

I knew what you meant. Not offensive at all! Department stores have a "womens" section that not all women fit into. "Women's sizes" are a thing, and it shouldn't be offensive to refer to them as such. If I was forced to shop at Sears, I would have to head toward the "juniors" section to try to find something without glitter. Saying someone like me isn't a "woman's size" is totally accurate. ;)

fishbiscuit5

BootsBoots wrote:I knew what you meant. Not offensive at all! Department stores have a "womens" section that not all women fit into. "Women's sizes" are a thing, and it shouldn't be offensive to refer to them as such. If I was forced to shop at Sears, I would have to head toward the "juniors" section to try to find something without glitter. Saying someone like me isn't a "woman's size" is totally accurate. ;)

lol (runs to hide all glittery things in closet)

fishbiscuit5

BootsBoots wrote:I knew what you meant. Not offensive at all! Department stores have a "womens" section that not all women fit into. "Women's sizes" are a thing, and it shouldn't be offensive to refer to them as such. If I was forced to shop at Sears, I would have to head toward the "juniors" section to try to find something without glitter. Saying someone like me isn't a "woman's size" is totally accurate. ;)

This is why I just buy the men's medium. I know it fits up top, even though the sleeves and the length are too long. I just deal with those in order to have a comfy shirt in a design I love. I actually don't buy as many shirts for me anymore so I was really hoping the new Anvil would change that.

grahamb2011

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grahamb2011

If I order a Reckoning Shirt today that went on sale prior to Feb 22, will it come in the old ladies sizes or the new ladies sizes?

BootsBoots

fishbiscuit5 wrote:This is why I just buy the men's medium. I know it fits up top, even though the sleeves and the length are too long. I just deal with those in order to have a comfy shirt in a design I love. I actually don't buy as many shirts for me anymore so I was really hoping the new Anvil would change that.

You should really like the new WS, then. Lucky!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
grahamb2011 wrote:If I order a Reckoning Shirt today that went on sale prior to Feb 22, will it come in the old ladies sizes or the new ladies sizes?

Check the sizing info on the specific sale page. It will link to the sizes for the blank being used.

And I can count on one hand the number of times I find womens cut clothing off the rack that fits. I wore men's pants and jeans until I was 28 since I could always get them long enough. Clothing is clothing. It either fits you or it doesn't, all the rest is marketing.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

gameon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gameon

[quote postid="4883632" user="thumperchick

I'll try the new ANV ML tomorrow and let you know if this happens there as well.[/quote]

This sounds like something else to add in the Con column. (For me)

My site: Thought Provoking Shirts - designs to make you think and laugh at the same time.

mukimuki

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mukimuki

[quote postid="4881876" user="thumperchick"

*I am comparing brand new, unwashed Anvil tees to well worn and well loved AA tees*[/quote]

You are awesome! Thanks for all the pics!

mukimuki

DianaSprinkle wrote:

Click to get this image all big! =D

Here's a side by side for the woman's shirts.

Cool! Thanks!

mukimuki

ochopika wrote:
These pictures should give you a good idea of how the new WS and the K10 fit on a skinny woman. They will also give you an idea of how cluttered my studio is.

Thanks so much! As a woman who liked the AA ws, I can tell that these new shirts just won't work for me.

P.S. I like your tat :-)

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Rather than repost, here's a link to a post with photo comparisons of the Anvil WM, Anvil WL, AA WM, AA WL, and AA WXL on me.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

I got some blanks too - thanks Barbara/woot!
If this helps anyone:
I am about 5 feet, and around 100lbs. I mostly wore AA WL... I found it more comfortable as I like a roomier fit (you can see a pic of an AA WL on me in: this thread here) and WXL as a lounge/sleep/exercise shirt. I could wear WMs too, but it was a bit tight in the chest and I prefer t-shirts to have a somewhat relaxed fit. It took some getting used to ordering WL and WXL - in most women's clothing I am XS or S.

I was sent anvil WL and WXL blanks, which both looked huge in comparison to my AA equivalents. Size comparison of AA WL (only grass shirt I had around) and Anvil WL picture below. The anvil is MUCH bigger all around. My AA is washed, but I don't use a dryer for more than a few minutes (just to get the wrinkles out) and then hang them on a drying rack, so it has minimal shrinkage:

I tried wearing the Anvil WL and it is WAY too big - both width wise and length wise. Looks like a huge smock - would look silly even as a gym shirt. I'd post a picture wearing it, but it's obviously not the closest size I should try so it wouldn't be helpful.

The WXL I didn't even bother with, but FWIW, a guy that usually wears AA men's L tried the Anvil WXL and said it is bigger than the AA Men's Large. It billowed out around his waist.

So, what this means is - maybe my female relatives that previously had to wear men's sizes can actually order ladies!

As for me, I would have to try a WM or more likely based on what I see here, a WS, and see how they fit. The WL and WXL blanks I got could only be pajama shirts - and really big ones!

Vote!

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat

Thanks to everyone who is posting pics, particularly of the shirt on the body. Hate to say it, but I'm absolutely hating the way the new blanks look; and this is coming from someone who wasn't a fan of the AA blanks. In every pic I've seen, the women's AA shirts are more flattering. The weird longer sleeves, pointy shoulder seams, and short, billowing midsection are just matronly looking imo.

I think my Woot addiction just ended before it even really got started.

Please keep the pics coming because I keep hoping I'll see something that changes my mind.

morgankohl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morgankohl
fishbiscuit5 wrote:I meant no disrespect. AA women's shirts are made for junior sizes. That's all I meant by it. Apologies if I offended, but I would never try to hurt anyone on purpose. That's just not me. I would be more than happy if I could wear a juniors size but unfortunately, they don't fit me in the chest area.

I'm sorry I took your comment the wrong way. I've just been a little hypersensitive about my size/weight lately. Not to whine about my problems to anyone, but I just dropped quite a bit of weight that I couldn't afford to lose, and I'm not looking so hot at the moment. So, again, I'm sorry. I'm just a little tense. (Also irritated with the Woot gods.)

rubixcube23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rubixcube23

Wow. I'm super disappointed. I'm glad some of you have posted pictures...I don't think I'll be buying anymore woot shirts unless they change again.

These shirts are HUGE and short...

They were already a bit on the short side especially after being washed. I don't want to have to have several inches hiding my boobs just to not have a belly shirt from the 80's.

Super Woot Fail.

fishbiscuit5

morgankohl wrote:I'm sorry I took your comment the wrong way. I've just been a little hypersensitive about my size/weight lately. Not to whine about my problems to anyone, but I just dropped quite a bit of weight that I couldn't afford to lose, and I'm not looking so hot at the moment. So, again, I'm sorry. I'm just a little tense. (Also irritated with the Woot gods.)

No worries! I really hope you are feeling better soon.

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
BootsBoots wrote:
The Anvil WS is slightly wider than the men's AA in the chest and hips, but tapers in slightly in the stomach area. The sleeves are a little bit shorter than the AA men's, but not as much as in the first photo. They're cut so that it's hard to lay them flat when the rest of the shirt is laid out. See the second photo for the sleeve comparison.

Actually, looking at this, that's pretty ridiculous. Woot went from women's sizes that were to small to ones that are too Oh My Gookie! huge. I wore a MM when I wanted a really lose fit to layer over a long sleeved t. Now, that's about the smallest women's size. I'm pretty average sized, so that's a lot of petite women or women who want a T that's somewhat fitted who are out of luck with the new sizing.

thumperchick

elankat wrote:Actually, looking at this, that's pretty ridiculous. Woot went from women's sizes that were to small to ones that are too Oh My Gookie! huge. I wore a MM when I wanted a really lose fit to layer over a long sleeved t. Now, that's about the smallest women's size. I'm pretty average sized, so that's a lot of petite women or women who want a T that's somewhat fitted who are out of luck with the new sizing.

What's strange from my POV is that they could have solved a lot of the "sized for curves" issues by adding in a 2XL in AA shirts! I am the target demographic for the new shirts and I think they billow out too much.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

From looking at all the pics, I wonder how many sales are going to be lost from customers who were a WM and WS? There's nothing smaller to move into.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Post washing, the wxl lost way too much length to still be wearable.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

heidiruth

quality posts: 12 Private Messages heidiruth
Narfcake wrote:From looking at all the pics, I wonder how many sales are going to be lost from customers who were a WM and WS? There's nothing smaller to move into.

That's the issue, we have nowhere to go anymore. I'm sitting here in my brand new AA WM Nyan's dream, sadly realizing that this is most likely the last shirt I'll be able to buy and have fit me flatteringly.

I have my fingers crossed that Woot, being as nice as they have been, will attempt something to keep us tiny gal customers purchasing shirts. I only joined the site back in October, but I was already around 15 shirts in, plus some shirts I bought for my boyfriend. I had big plans for my wardrobe. Now I'm just thankful I bought 3 randoms each time when I didn't feel like I should've, or purchased shirts I was on the fence about. They're the only ones I'll have.

But like I said...fingers crossed!

thumperchick

Narfcake wrote:From looking at all the pics, I wonder how many sales are going to be lost from customers who were a WM and WS? There's nothing smaller to move into.

Right, while some of us curvier or larger types, we still had the option of going to a men's size. What do the petite wooters do now?

Mavyn wrote:Post washing, the wxl lost way too much length to still be wearable.

After washing and wearing a WXL - that should fit me perfectly, It really is too short. Between that and it starting to billow out, I wouldn't be able to wear it.

crazydoglady

quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady

Or from non-curvy women who wore AA WXL. I'm 5'8" and 140 lbs and have always had "itty-bitties". I fit into the WL but preferred a slightly looser fit (being middle-aged and all that). The AA WXL fit perfectly, slightly feminine (close fitting and shorter sleeves) without folds of excess fabric where a more generously endowed woman's breasts would be. From the pictures posted I won't even give the Anvil W's blanks a try; I will try the Anvil MS the next time a design comes up that I love and I hope it's comparable to the AA WXL but if not... I've read a lot of posts by wooters that say now they'll only buy if it's a shirt they "can't live without" or "absolutely love" but in my case I think that the knowledge that the shirts don't fit me well will result in me not checking the site on a regular basis anymore; I'm much less likely to even notice a design that I might love.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
heidiruth wrote:
But like I said...fingers crossed!

Short of some in the reckoning (if I feel they deserve to be saved) and the next randoms, which would still be mostly AA shirts, my woot buying days are practically over.

I will resume my buying if they went back to AA, even though I'm a guy and the fitment isn't as big of a criteria for me as it is for the gals. This is a criteria, however.

I've purchased 30 shirts since #0001 on 01/01/12. None were "necessary" purchases; anyone looking in this thread would see that. But the purchases were pretty guilt-free, knowing that more of my dollars will remain here in the US; it was very automatic to click on that gold button.

Way to go curing impulse shirt buying habits, Woot. Way to go.

Last I know, GoodJoe still prints on AA 2102 (WS to W2XL) for the gals, though the men's shirts are usually a mix of Cygnus 7000 (made in El Salvador) and AA 2001. I do buy there from time to time, but a change over to the latter would make many more purchases a no-brainer for me.

ellegee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ellegee

Well now I'm discouraged again, the first posts before the new shirts were washed looked like I'd be able to wear a WXL or WL, but now that you are all posting that they got too short and especially that they get stretchy and misshapen is making me think again. Sigh.

BootsBoots

Mavyn wrote:Post washing, the wxl lost way too much length to still be wearable.

I just washed my WS too (dried it on low for not very long), and the same thing happened. It lost a LOT of length, but not a lot of width, so now it's more like a wide tunic that bells out at the bottom instead of a dress. I'm only 5'2" and when I raise my arms it comes up just under my navel, so it's too short even for me.

I'm going to wear it for a little bit and see if it stretches or anything.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
BootsBoots wrote:I just washed my WS too (dried it on low for not very long), and the same thing happened. It lost a LOT of length, but not a lot of width, so now it's more like a wide tunic that bells out at the bottom instead of a dress. I'm only 5'2" and when I raise my arms it comes up just under my navel, so it's too short even for me.

I'm going to wear it for a little bit and see if it stretches or anything.

Boots, I am also 5"2, but I have a lot more up top than I think you do. I also had a huge problem with length shrinkage on the AA. I got some of the new blanks, which actually fit me pretty well, but now Im worried about such a huge loss of length, again. I really hate my belly poking out of a tshirt, especially at work. |:-{

I usually had to dry my shirts on time dry, no heat, for about an hour and a half. Before I started doing that I hung them to dry.

I have some photos of myself in the new blanks. I'll upload them here shortly ^^.

BootsBoots

bassanimation wrote:Boots, I am also 5"2, but I have a lot more up top than I think you do. I also had a huge problem with length shrinkage on the AA. I got some of the new blanks, which actually fit me pretty well, but now Im worried about such a huge loss of length, again. I really hate my belly poking out of a tshirt, especially at work. |:-{

I usually had to dry my shirts on time dry, no heat, for about an hour and a half. Before I started doing that I hung them to dry.

I have some photos of myself in the new blanks. I'll upload them here shortly ^^.

After the wash, I think if you filled out the Anvil in the chest area, it wouldn't ride up. It feels like the same length as the washed AA now. The AA doesn't ride up on me because it's tight and my chest keeps it in place. With the Anvil, I'm just covered in bunches of material that bag around my chest, and the little skirt at the bottom, so when I raise my arms, nothing stops it from going up. I feel like I'd have to go up 3 cup sizes to fill out all the extra material in the chest, though. Or add about 4 inches to my waist. Or maybe get some butt implants (yes!).

ceotty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceotty
BootsBoots wrote:With the Anvil, I'm just covered in bunches of material that bag around my chest, and the little skirt at the bottom, so when I raise my arms, nothing stops it from going up. I feel like I'd have to go up 3 cup sizes to fill out all the extra material in the chest, though. Or add about 4 inches to my waist. Or maybe get some butt implants (yes!).

This quote from Tina Fey's book springs to mind: "Now every girl is expected to have Caucasian blue eyes, full Spanish lips, a classic button nose, hairless Asian skin with a California tan, a Jamaican dance hall ass, long Swedish legs, small Japanese feet, the abs of a lesbian gym owner, the hips of a nine-year-old boy, the arms of Michelle Obama, and doll water towers. The person closest to actually achieving this look is Kim Kardashian, who, as we know, was made by Russian scientists to sabotage our athletes."

Anyway, the more I hear about these shirts the more discouraged I am. I am glad for the women that will find the new Anvil shirts to be a better fit for them, but I wish it hadn't come at the expense of those of us that fit the AA tees. :-(

— Cyndy Otty —
http://gentlewit.com

skelleton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skelleton

I'm 5'6" 90 lbs, short torso.

I don't know what to do now. Stop buying woot shirts or try a kids size..

Thanks to everyone that posted comparison pictures.

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow

FYI, in case you haven't seen the thread about pre-ordering shirts by Midgerock and Bassanimation at goodjoe this week, goodjoe.com uses the ladies AA blanks in sizes up to 2XL. There are quite a few designers we know from Woot over there, so give them a try if you want to continue to wear nicely designed AA shirts.

Sorry, Woot, but you made a mistake in not choosing another American manufacturer and in alienating your smaller sized customers.

07/11/14