taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

Wow. I just received a package from Woot containing various sizes of the new blanks. THANKS WOOT!

I'll do my best to offer an honest assessment of the blanks. Although I am certainly no expert.

Woot sent 3 sizes, 3x - which is my normal size and also a large and medium. They appear to all be "men's" sizes, as the tags match.

I am over 6' 4" and a bit of a fat hulk at around 275... The 3x shirt fits quite nicely and is plenty long. Checking it next to an AA woot shirt I own, it is a bit shorter but it still fits me fine. The shirt is a tad "roomier" and doesn't hug my gut like the old AA blanks would. These are also a little roomier in the shoulders.

In my opinion, the shirts have the same feel as before. They are soft to the touch. I am not noticing a difference in the weight of the shirt.

I'll throw it in the wash this evening and see if I notice any shrinkage.

Personally, I am pretty happy with the blanks.

Thanks again Woot!

Quality Posts

Nothing follows.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Same here.
I have 3 blanks in sizes I've most recently purchased. Mens L, Women's L, Women's XL (Which I was using as an interim between Men's S ans Men's M for my son) and Women's L.

Awesome!

move along

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

very cool, guys! I use Anvil 980s for my own personal stuff and I like them as much as I like AA. I'll go as far as to say they're a slightly better "fat dude" shirt than the AAs. Either way, I'm looking forward to hearing some reviews from whoever got samples of the new blanks.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
j5 wrote:Same here.
I have 3 blanks in sizes I've most recently purchased. Mens L, Women's L, Women's XL (Which I was using as an interim between Men's S ans Men's M for my son) and Women's L.

Awesome!

Now that you mention it.... these are the last 3 sizes I ordered. heh.

Nothing follows.

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick

They sent me 2! One in my old AA size (Men's L) and one in my guestimated new Anvil size (WXL).
I'm going to work on sizing info, review, and pictures in a bit. I'll be posting them in the size and anger threads.

Woot, you make it oh so very hard to stay mad at you when you do things like this.

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
thumperchick wrote:They sent me 2! One in my old AA size (Men's L) and one in my guestimated new Anvil size (WXL).
I'm going to work on sizing info, review, and pictures in a bit. I'll be posting them in the size and anger threads.

Woot, you make it oh so very hard to stay mad at you when you do things like this.

I usually order ML but am curious how the new WXL will work. Looking forward to your opinion.

07/11/14

j5

caramelarrow wrote:I usually order ML but am curious how the new WXL will work. Looking forward to your opinion.

The WXL is bigger than the Men's L.
I tried mine all on, and here's what I noticed:
The women's shirts are more "billowy" at the bottom, they don't hug my manly hips. Even in the Women's L.
The men's shirt is about the same as AA, I'll check it against my unwashed spares later.

move along

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Wow, my friend just told me they sent her some too. @_@ Are they just randomly sending them out, or did you guys order them? *_*

j5

bassanimation wrote:Wow, my friend just told me they sent her some too. @_@ Are they just randomly sending them out, or did you guys order them? *_*

I just got a note from Woot.
These seem to be try-on samples to the active community members. I have to say, the women's sizes are Huuuuuge (in comparison) I don't know whether to get WS or WM where I previously ordered WL.
No shirts for the wife!
solved.

move along

thumperchick

caramelarrow wrote:I usually order ML but am curious how the new WXL will work. Looking forward to your opinion.

You can see my full review, with pics here:

thumperchick wrote:

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Yeah, I got an email as well. I'll take a look when I get home.

Guess the black box paid off. ;)

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

Mavyn wrote:Yeah, I got an email as well. I'll take a look when I get home.

Guess the black box paid off. ;)

If "black box" is a euphemism for "chatter box" then, yes.

move along

Narfcake

quality posts: 288 Private Messages Narfcake
thumperchick wrote:

Heh!

Seeing how I've been pretty vocal in this, and I think I've bought like 30 or so shirts already this year, so I won't be surprised to see some in my mailbox when I get home tonight. But if not, I won't be surprised either, considering my stance in all this too.

Inflational Material:
"The sad fact is, nothing in our business - blank shirts, ink, labor, shipping - is getting any cheaper."

... is still deceiving for the change that occurred, since the shirts did get cheaper now.

EDIT: I looked at my account - yep, I've directly purchased 30 shirts (and 5 indirectly) since buying #0001 on 01/01/12. My December count was 18 (+4 indirectly).

Mavyn

j5 wrote:If "black box" is a euphemism for "chatter box" then, yes.

You have a purple box.

My euphemisms are more likely to result in mod edits. :D

thumperchick

Narfcake wrote:
Inflational Material:
"The sad fact is, nothing in our business - blank shirts, ink, labor, shipping - is getting any cheaper."

... is still deceiving for the change that occurred, since the shirts did get cheaper now.

True. The core of what was wrong with this move and way it was handled is still there. It is however, reassuring that PHP jumped in to send out samples, though IMHO - it should have been done a few months ago. It just made me feel a bit better that they responded, in a tangible way, to the outcry. THAT is what I expect from Woot! - mock me with great snark, but fix the problem while you do it.

j5

Mavyn wrote:You have a purple box.

My euphemisms are more likely to result in mod edits. :D

Yeah, I heard about you.

move along

Mavyn

j5 wrote:Yeah, I heard about you.

:P

Ok, picture time.

Anvil M2XL, AA M2XL, Anvil WXL

The AA shirt has been washed in cold and dried several times.

Anvil M2XL, AA MXL, Anvil WXL

The AA shirt has been washed in cold and dried two or three times.

Anvil M2XL, AA MXL

Anvil WXL, AA MXL

In terms of fit, the Anvil WXL fits me. It's snug, but not painted on tight. Comfy. I LOVE the sleeves. Love them. Long enough, and they don't bind at my arm pits. Shoulders are just right, so am keen to see how it fits after washing and drying. If I lost a bit of weight, it would be perfect. If I was at my target weight, I could probably wear a WL. That said...I am 6'1, 38D. 19.5 inches across my shoulders. I wear tall sizes for a reason!

I have tried on an AA WXL, and it was very tight and short.

The Anvil M2XL is huge. Long, it goes past my butt. The sleeves go just past my elbows. The sweater cows could get lost in there, nevermind my waist.

Fabric on all of them is nice, straight out of the bag. Way nicer feel than what I've gotten elsewhere.

If anyone wants these compared to different colors in MXL or M2XL, let me know, I have some of all the colors in at least one size.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

Was genuinely surprised to find a package of blanks when I got home this evening, as Woot typically never really likes what I have to say. ;) Regardless, here's my brutally honest assessment, for the rest of the "fey little fancy-boy" demographic.

I wore a K12 in the old AA sizes, which offered the fitted (but not tight) look that I prefer for my tees. I've got small shoulders and arms for a guy (check out my 7.5" pythons!!) so the width was great, and the length hit right around waistband level. My one gripe was that the sleeves were a little short and looked a bit effeminate.

I received 3 blanks in the new Anvil sizes, WM, WS, and K12. (Probably because I typically order shirts for both myself, and for my sister.) For Potty Emergency! and giggles, I tried the ladies' tees on. Predictably, they were too big. Although the straight cut of the AA shirts meant I could get away with the old WS or WM (despite the short sleeves again!) the 'curvy' cut of the Anvil ones make them an absolute no-go. Severely limits my tee-trade options, but what can you do.

Sister is a tiny slip of a thing (im guessing about about 5'3" and 105 lbs?), but likes her shirts roomy, and so ultimately preferred the AA WM cut. She'd probably be insulted by a kids' size, so if I were to surprise her with another Woot shirt as a gift, I'd probably go with the WS.

On to the K12. I was pleasantly surprised, out of the package, that the fabric felt softer than expected - pretty comparable to the AAs. Not sure how it will take to a couple of washes; I live in a tiny NYC apt, so things are usually sink-washed and rack-dried, rather than burning money in a laundromat. This also means 'shrinking' the shirt isn't really an option; shame that, because the K12 felt considerably larger/longer than the AA. However, the sleeves are a good couple of inches longer, which is a big plus in Anvil's favour.

Thank you Woot, for the blanks, though I sadly still don't know which size I wear! I'm guessing that those of us who used to order the K12s will probably fall somewhere in the K8 or K10 range.

I've gotten selective about designs over the years, so I guess I'll be waiting for a real must-have (something along the lines of a TruffleShuffle monster, some quirky VonMonkey goodness, an Edgar masterpiece, or another Katie Kaboomin' RGlee/Kasey mashup, hint, hint) before I bite the bullet and try my luck with the new kids' sizes.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Narfcake wrote:Heh!

Seeing how I've been pretty vocal in this, and I think I've bought like 30 or so shirts already this year, so I won't be surprised to see some in my mailbox when I get home tonight. But if not, I won't be surprised either, considering my stance in all this too.

Inflational Material:

EDIT: I looked at my account - yep, I've directly purchased 30 shirts (and 5 indirectly) since buying #0001 on 01/01/12. My December count was 18 (+4 indirectly).

what does indirectly mean?

Narfcake

Leahbh wrote:what does indirectly mean?

I'm not the only Wooter in the household.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Mavyn wrote::P

Ok, picture time.

Yay thank you for the pictures!

I'm just hanging out, really.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
endangeredomega wrote:Was genuinely surprised to find a package of blanks when I got home this evening, as Woot ...

But we appreciate you taking time to post your thoughts!

I'm just hanging out, really.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

Here's my women's small (and K-10) comparison photos if any one wants to see. It was nice of Woot to send some of the new ones to try out.

http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4862827&PageIndex=7&ReplyCount=263#post4882368

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
inkycatz wrote:But we appreciate you taking time to post your thoughts!

You guys went to the trouble of sending them out - figured the least I could do was share my findings with the rest of the community. My day-job is in advertising/market research, so I'm a firm believer in the concept of the informed/educated consumer!

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
thumperchick wrote:

Thank you so much for the pics and the review. I'm thinking now that I may be able to order the size I seem to buy everywhere else, a WL. I'll just cross my fingers when a design comes along on the new blank that I simply MUST have. Until then, I'll order what I can that's still available on AA.

07/11/14

crazydoglady

quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady

A HUGE thank you to all who posted reviews. I had already decided that I would try a MS in the Anvils (I usually buy a WXL but I'm not at all curvy) and my only concern was the feel of the fabric. I'm so glad to hear that it is comparable - oh, hell, I'll admit it, I'm RELIEVED!!! I was honestly starting to wonder how I was going to fill the gap left in my day if I stopped wooting

j5

Here are my comparisons.
All shirts are unwashed and unworn....until today:
I didn't have a Woot! ML in a close enough color to the blanks, so I used one from Tilteed, which is the same. Plus, Isaboa!

Now on to the Anvil's
Here is the ML:

Here's the WL:

Here's the WXL:

Conclusion:
The Women's sizes will alienate some customers. Women who were buying men's sizes can now buy women's sizes, but women who were happy with the AA sizes are SOL.
Also, what's up with the shoulder poofs?

move along

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape
j5 wrote:
Conclusion:
The Women's sizes will alienate some customers. Women who were buying men's sizes can now buy women's sizes, but women who were happy with the AA sizes are SOL.
Also, what's up with the shoulder poofs?

In the thread BootsBoots linked to, we all pretty much came to the same conclusion. They now need to offer a WXS since it seems like everyone will be going down a size.

I've been buying my Woot shirts bigger lately—I don't really wear t-shirts anymore but I can't resist a good design. Hoping that having more material will let me refashion it into something slouchier but more feminine.

Also, I noticed the shoulder poofs in your photos right away. Is it to accommodate the shirt stretching forward due to boobies?

thumperchick

thewronggrape wrote:
Also, I noticed the shoulder poofs in your photos right away. Is it to accommodate the shirt stretching forward due to boobies?

They didn't go away for me. The women's shirt has wings.

bluejester

quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester

I too received a copy of the new shirts and will be reviewing them later tonight when I get a chance. (Couple of long days at work)

Initially I can't really tell a difference other than the ink feels a bit thicker than it did before, but that might just be the design.
My skin is on the sensitive side, so it is hard for me to tell yet how the texture is on the new shirts because all new shirts feel a bit on the scratchy side to me until I give them a wash, which I will also do to see what effect it has.

Oh, and a quick comment on the aforementioned shoulder poofs, I thought that those were stylistic things that some women's shirts have. A few shirts that my younger sister has have those poofs, and so do a couple of shirts that my wife owns. Maybe it's just a weird style thing?

j5

(12:40 PM, 2/24/2012) j5 adds her quick first impressions.

"His", fyi.

move along

zaydabarros

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zaydabarros

Man, I'm jealous, I didn't get one! I want to try the anvils too
But no, seriously, I think this is a fantastic gesture from shirt.woot, that shows good marketing and also shows they care about the loyalty and satisfaction of their customers. I am very pleased to read about this and to be part of a community that would do stuff like this for its customers.

Narfcake

zaydabarros wrote:Man, I'm jealous, I didn't get one! I want to try the anvils too
But no, seriously, I think this is a fantastic gesture from shirt.woot, that shows good marketing and also shows they care about the loyalty and satisfaction of their customers. I am very pleased to read about this and to be part of a community that would do stuff like this for its customers.

I see this as an attempt to (help) put out the firestorm it created.

The flip side is that I'm feeling the size differences between the old AA and the new Anvil is ADDING to the firestorm ... and because many are unsure of what size to order now, they just won't order anything at all now. Or they'll order, complain to service, and then they're dealing with a bunch of "wrong size" orders, which adds to the costs again.

They said this move was years in the making. Getting some community feedback while it was in the making instead of after like it is now would've minimized the backlash that many of us have.

My personal perspective.
Mr. Wed. comparison post.

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
Narfcake wrote:I see this as an attempt to (help) put out the firestorm it created.

I see that thread kinda died after people received free stuff. And that's all takes to shut people up. Free stuff, nothing bothers us anymore.

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

zaydabarros

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zaydabarros

Whatever the reason was, they did it and it is a nice thing to do. Hence the word "Marketing". They didn't have an obligation to send free stuff to anyone, but it is a smart move, and to me, if I had received some, would have been thoughtful too since I DON'T want to stop wooting, so they would've been making sure that I was wooting comfortably, because I was going to do it anyway. I don't need "shutting up" since both me and my husband are quite happy and excited with the switch. Bottomline is, IMO it was a nice thing to do.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Woot also sent me a couple of blanks. I have no idea if they're women's or men's--they just have "M" and "L" on their tags, they're gigantic compared to their equivalent AA WM & WL, and there are no gender clues. I very, very rarely buy men's sizes, so I'm operating under the assumption that these are women's large and women's medium. It seems like the bottoms bell out on both, so I think these are both WM and WL. {Edit, add: these are women's shirts, as they have baby blue tags.}

For comparison purposes, I tried on washed/air-dried AA WM, WL, WXL. The two Anvil shirts are unwashed, just right out of the bag.

The feel of the fabric seems comparable. As for the fit... well, I will let the photos speak for themselves. Please click on the photos for slightly larger views.

j5

goldenthorn wrote:Woot also sent me a couple of blanks. I have no idea if they're women's or men's--they just have "M" and "L" on their tags and no gender clues.

baby blue woot logo is women's. Dark blue is men's.

move along

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

j5 wrote:baby blue woot logo is women's. Dark blue is men's.

Ahh, thank you. Then my anvil shirts are women's M & L.

rellybob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rellybob
goldenthorn wrote:Ahh, thank you. Then my anvil shirts are women's M & L.

Just for reference, how tall are you?

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

rellybob wrote:Just for reference, how tall are you?

I am 5ft, 4 and 11/16in.