taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
goldenthorn wrote:I am 5ft, 4 and 11/16in.

Wow... you're pretty specific there. I've never heard anyone go to the 16th before.

Nothing follows.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

taternuggets wrote:Wow... you're pretty specific there. I've never heard anyone go to the 16th before.

That 11/16ths is srs bsns, indeed. It makes me almost 5'5" and just that tiny bit less of a shorty!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
goldenthorn wrote:That 11/16ths is srs bsns, indeed. It makes me almost 5'5" and just that tiny bit less of a shorty!

Boy Howdy! I'm way, way more respectful of you now than I was, because you have so much...presence now that I didn't recognize before.

edit: don't get me wrong, I always had lots of respect for you before, and not just because of the effortless way you keep Gatzby under control, but primarily for your amazing GIF magic.

ceotty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceotty
goldenthorn wrote:That 11/16ths is srs bsns, indeed. It makes me almost 5'5" and just that tiny bit less of a shorty!

Shorty and proud here at 5'3". :-)

Seriously, though, would it be possible to have you do another round of photos with the Anvil shirts after you wash them? It looks like we're comparably sized and I'm curious how they shrink up. (What I've read elsewhere suggests they get substantially shorter...and wider...I'm not thrilled.)

No pressure, just wondering. Thanks either way.

— Cyndy Otty —
http://gentlewit.com

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

ceotty wrote:Shorty and proud here at 5'3". :-)

Seriously, though, would it be possible to have you do another round of photos with the Anvil shirts after you wash them? It looks like we're comparably sized and I'm curious how they shrink up. (What I've read elsewhere suggests they get substantially shorter...and wider...I'm not thrilled.)

No pressure, just wondering. Thanks either way.

Happily! I probably won't be posting photos until Monday afternoon, though. While I do have a ton of laundry to do and thus a reason to wash and dry these anvil blanks... I am incredibly lazy and probably won't do laundry 'til tomorrow evening or Monday morning. Probably Monday afternoon when I remember that I promised to provide photos of the washed and dried shirts.

Josephus wrote:
edit: don't get me wrong, I always had lots of respect for you before, and not just because of the effortless way you keep Gatzby under control, but primarily for your amazing GIF magic.

Heh, no one controls the Dark Lord Gatz! We but cower and scurry our way around, hoping we do not fall beneath his mighty and fearsome gaze and face the consequences of overpostermockeration and overreaching high giffery! It is luck indeed that the Great and Terrible One has overlooked our nefarious volmoderry for so long. Now hush, lest ye summon his gaze upon us!

Also, I accept your respect and kowtowing with grace and nobility. You should start a fan club.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

Since I was mostly lounging around my place this afternoon getting some writing done, I opted to wear-in the new too-big K12 blank. I've noted another [relatively minor] drawback to the new shirts.

Although the AA tags never bothered me overmuch, the Anvil one is horribly itchy. Just checked the mirror, and lo and behold, I've got a red rashy spot at the base of my neck. Either it's a by-product of the aforementioned starch, or I predict a lot of folks will be snipping labels out of new shirts ...

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
goldenthorn wrote:You should start a fan club.

I'd join that. The Goldenthorn Appreciation Society; it's a gas!

move along

jel2301

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301
goldenthorn wrote:Heh, no one controls the Dark Lord Gatz! We but cower and scurry our way around, hoping we do not fall beneath his mighty and fearsome gaze and face the consequences of overpostermockeration and overreaching high giffery! It is luck indeed that the Great and Terrible One has overlooked our nefarious volmoderry for so long. Now hush, lest ye summon his gaze upon us!

That was fairly epic. Nicely done. Very nicely done.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

No pictures, will take some if there is any interest. Post washing, not happy. The axle is now away too short, barely ckms to my navel. A limitless tighter around the bust, still ok across the shoulders and waist, but the sleeves are very tight. Neck is ok. M2xl now fits the same as the Aa 2xl.

Will send the wxl along to my sister for her opinion. She wore the Aa wxl though the large fit, and she is 5'9.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

Mavyn wrote:Strange autocorrected evaluation

lol

Let me see if I can fix that for you:

Mavyn wrote:No pictures, will take some if there is any interest. Post washing, not happy. The Anvil WXL is now way too short, barely comes to my navel. A little less tight around the bust, still ok across the shoulders and waist, but the sleeves are very tight. Neck is ok. M2xl now fits the same as the Aa 2xl.

Will send the wxl along to my sister for her opinion. She wore the Aa wxl though the large fit, and she is 5'9.

move along

Mavyn

Umm, yeah, what he said. I got used to the phones autocorrect, guess I will learn how the kindle mangles things now.

Thanks.

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj
j5 wrote:

Conclusion:
The Women's sizes will alienate some customers. Women who were buying men's sizes can now buy women's sizes, but women who were happy with the AA sizes are SOL.
Also, what's up with the shoulder poofs?

j5, how tall are you? I'm a little bit worried, I've worn a ML in the past, but losing a half-inch could affect me.

Also, for everyone generally who received the blanks, how does the fabric feel, especially after going through the wash? Is it the same quality as AA? This is probably my biggest concern.

Thanks all!

Mavyn

novastarj wrote:j5, how tall are you? I'm a little bit worried, I've worn a ML in the past, but losing a half-inch could affect me.

Also, for everyone generally who received the blanks, how does the fabric feel, especially after going through the wash? Is it the same quality as AA? This is probably my biggest concern.

Thanks all!

The fabric feels pretty much identical to the AA, post washing. I wash on cold, dry on medium, use a fabric softener sheet. I couldn't tell the difference between the shirts by feel. I also wasn't bothered by the tag, which was a concern.

j5

novastarj wrote:j5, how tall are you? I'm a little bit worried, I've worn a ML in the past, but losing a half-inch could affect me.

I'm about 5'9"

move along

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Finally--nearly a week later than I promised--I did my laundry and have modeled the Anvil WM and WL, still warm from the dryer. I've taken super-comprehensive photos to make up for my tardiness.

Please click on the photos to enlarge.

The Anvil shirts before and after washing:

The Anvil shirts compared to AA WM, WL, & WXL shirts:

The Anvil and AA shirts stacked:

One of my cats, Malachi, attacking my camera strap while I'm taking these photos:

j5

Gotta say, not a fan of the women's Anvils.

move along

morgankohl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morgankohl
j5 wrote:Gotta say, not a fan of the women's Anvils.

Join the club! (No really...we should start a club)

ceotty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceotty
goldenthorn wrote:Finally--nearly a week later than I promised--I did my laundry and have modeled the Anvil WM and WL, still warm from the dryer. I've taken super-comprehensive photos to make up for my tardiness.

Thanks for the very comprehensive photos. Definitely helpful. Unfortunately, it only confirmed how unflattering the new blanks are, though. :-(

goldenthorn wrote:One of my cats, Malachi, attacking my camera strap while I'm taking these photos:

Well, this makes up for everything. Such a pretty kitty!

— Cyndy Otty —
http://gentlewit.com

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat

I echo everything Ceotty just said.

Narfcake

quality posts: 288 Private Messages Narfcake

Well, Woot didn't send me blanks ... but they did send Shhhhhhh on Anvil, even though the page still has the men's sizes listed as USA. Bait and switch?

Shorter, wider neck hole, and the shoulders are even wider than an AA MXL. And there was a smell that certainly wasn't present in the other four (AA) shirts that arrived this week.

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
Narfcake wrote:Well, Woot didn't send me blanks ... but they did send Shhhhhhh on Anvil, even though the page still has the men's sizes listed as USA. Bait and switch?

Shorter, wider neck hole, and the shoulders are even wider than an AA MXL. And there was a smell that certainly wasn't present in the other four (AA) shirts that arrived this week.

Knowing how strongly you feel about buying US-made products, all I can say is, that sucks, dude. I hope shirt.woot makes it right, considering you've got to be one of their best customers.

General question for those who have received the new blanks or purchased shirts printed on them: How much do the MEN'S blanks shrink? I am on the verge of giving in and buying a reprint of "Reflections on Pi" for my BF, but I'm worried about how much it's going to shrink. It sounds like the women's shirts shrink pretty dramatically, but what about the men's sizes? I don't want to buy him a shirt that will be too short/too tight in the belly area after one wash and dry, but I also don't want to give him something insultingly oversized. He's about 5'11" and normally fits fine in an XL t-shirt (including AA tees). Will I be safe with the Anvil XL, or do they shrink more than the AA?

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

Mavyn

Men's anvils shrink less, at least in the 2xl.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Narfcake wrote:Well, Woot didn't send me blanks ... but they did send Shhhhhhh on Anvil, even though the page still has the men's sizes listed as USA. Bait and switch?

Definitely didn't notice any smell difference but otherwise had the same complaints. The neck hole looked really awful and was the kicker for me .

missmelis wrote:Will I be safe with the Anvil XL, or do they shrink more than the AA?

Anvil shrinks less. It'll end up looking a bit baggy by the end of the day.

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
Mavyn wrote:Men's anvils shrink less, at least in the 2xl.

thatrobert wrote:Anvil shrinks less. It'll end up looking a bit baggy by the end of the day.

Thanks for the info, folks.

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Well, not surprisingly, I didn't get anything free from woot... But I did buy something that I think is coming on one of the new slave-labor shirts. I'll let y'all know if it's terrible in more ways than higher price.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

killerorca

quality posts: 4 Private Messages killerorca

Well I'm curious how the new shirts are holding up to multiple washings, anyone gone beyond a couple so far?

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

I haven't gone beyond a single washing. My biggest complaints: are FIT, these Central American shirts are floppy and baggy, while the AA shirts fit properly; and price. It's $13 now, for those of us who pay tax, with no tax reprieve, or any nod to us loyal wooters at all. I am bemused by the DUAL quality decrease AND price increase. It was my understanding that woot was abandoning AA because they were too expensive to keep prices the same. Did someone at woot just get an advertising degree and wanted to see how many suckers are truly born every minute? :-/

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

Adelas

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas

Just chiming in with an alternate viewpoint.

I am normally an hourglass shape, but I have gained 50 lbs in the past four years and now my belly sticks out as far forward as my chest.

I couldn't comfortably wear even a WXL in the AA sizes; they clung badly on me. I was wishing that there was a W2X, but if they were cut too curvy, they might have been too loose in the chest and still close in the belly. I've been ordering Men's Large AA shirts since my first Woot purchase.

Recently, I purchased both the ML and the WXL, knowing that the measurement on the WXL was big enough. I am actually really pleased with it - for once I can wear a shirt that is more fitted, and helps define my shape as feminine, instead of "the smallest mens' size that isn't clingy", which is boxy and unflattering.

Anyway, maybe somewhere out there, there is a shirt type that is a little more boxy at the XS and XL end of the scale, and a little more curvy in the middle... In the meantime, I'm glad I have a little help looking girly.

Also.... maybe those who used to buy WM and WL should try buying a size down. Based on the extensive photos - especially the SIDE photos - above, the WL in Anvil looks like the WXL in AA, Anvil M seems to drape like AA Large... maybe the small size would have the fit you're looking for. Erm, that is to say, maybe the problem is sizing, not shape.

Edited to add: Also, neckhole of the men's large in the Anvil shirts seems to be up higher... I felt like it was choking me at first... looked in the mirror and it didn't look odd, just felt closer and higher than what I'm used to.