rebeccaroyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rebeccaroyer

Why does the octopus have 9 tentacles?

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
aerc712 wrote:I'll admit I'm pretty new to all of this, but reading the latest posts in this thread, it almost seems like midgrerock is upset about their design not being used and naolito's great design might suffer (be disqualified).

Naolito, I and clearly many others love your design and I really hope that it is able to make it through the shenanigans.

Quite the contrary. I love the design and thinks very clever but as I and other artists we try to submit designs not previously sold elsewhere any form because the T&C and faqs as have been mentioned state not to.

Also to clarify further which I believe merits review is that the daily submission form asks this question which goes without saying applies to derby submissions:

answer the following:
Yes, this design has been submitted to or printed by another site

No, this design has NOT been submitted to or printed by another site

Woot appears to be asking has this printed previously. It doesn't clarify shirts only but at "another site" and Society 6 would be considered another site as I see it.

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82
Re: Map to My Heart Resub

This is an excellent piece of art! Great work!

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712

Call me cynical, but something seems off when the one who seems to be the most vocal about disqualifying a high scoring submission has not one, but two submissions with low numbers.

If this design was submitted to Threadless but not printed, then I don't see what the big problem is. Clearly folks at woot like it and would like to have it printed. If that happens then the image can be removed from other locations and woot and Naolito can make some money off of a great design.

I don't know what the precedent is, but I feel like it'd be a bad decision for Woot to disqualify a top scoring design.

jlsinger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlsinger
lisonallie wrote:I like the blood on the swords as a touch

Thanks Yeah I thought it would help with the overall feel of the design.

midgerock

aerc712 wrote:Call me cynical, but something seems off when the one who seems to be the most vocal about disqualifying a high scoring submission has not one, but two submissions with low numbers.

If this design was submitted to Threadless but not printed, then I don't see what the big problem is. Clearly folks at woot like it and would like to have it printed. If that happens then the image can be removed from other locations and woot and Naolito can make some money off of a great design.

I don't know what the precedent is, but I feel like it'd be a bad decision for Woot to disqualify a top scoring design.

well to be sure I'm not going sky rocket to the fog because of these comments. So there's nothing for me to gain but the fact that a design wins fairly. I and other artists desire fair treatment and a fair contest each week. So take that as you will. There have been many popular designs which get rejected for similar or exact reasons. So there is a precedent which artists who submit are aware of and keep track of. If this makes me the bad guy for making comment about it, then so be it.

jlsinger

perdita00 wrote:Nice Glad you tweaked and resubbed!

Yeah it's just unfortunate that it's a miss this week. I honestly thought people would like it lol

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
Re: Quarrrter

So, my wife took a look at my No Quarter design and said "I don't get it". After much debate, Mrs odysseyroc convinced me that her idea, was much more accessible to people who don't live the pirates life. So, what was once my crowning triumph, has become a collaboration. Personally, I think she just wants a shirt that her fifth grade class would think is hilarious. I didn't give her credit on the comp image, because I'm a glory hound, but she probably deserves full credit for the success or failure of this one.

P.S.
I don't know what happened to the apostrophe in my comp image, but it's there in the print file

Naolito

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito

Hey, I'm quite sure that many people already tattled on this, so why don't we just wait to see what woot decides?

There is no need to fight each other...

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
rogue8402 wrote:Is that an eye patch in your signature? :D

yes, it is!

jlsinger

Re: Pirate Radio

This shirt makes me smile I love the character design.

jlsinger

Re: Forbidden Treasure

This is such a beautiful shirt. I love the color scheme.

captainbaldie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages captainbaldie
Re: All Sails Ahead!

You have a lot of skill for sure, but I think you should really start working on your concepts and compositions more. You usually just depict the derby theme with a whirlwind of halftones, and the majority ohhhs and ahhhs, but frankly, I find your work incredibly boring as is. I don't expect you to care much, as your designs see prints quite often around here, but I still thought my two cents would be worth something.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

So long as Mrs. Odroc doesn't insist on your removing the original and replacing it with her "improved" version, you can't be faulted for indulging her whims.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
Re: Rum Treasure

Treasure map for the flavor of rum....different ester compounds give rum its typical scent/flavor, isobutyl propionate is the ester that just smells like rum.

Links/details shortly...

It's been a while, so I would love feedback!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Some Translation Required

Definitely an awesome pirate tee, fishbiscuit! This is a terrific, comedic, and wearable shirt!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
endangeredomega wrote:So long as Mrs. Odroc doesn't insist on your removing the original and replacing it with her "improved" version, you can't be faulted for indulging her whims.

If her version beats mine, I'll never live it down.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Arrrr!

This is very well done! R!

bassanimation

First off, this is made of two parts badass, and one part hellyeah! Super wonderful job with the painterly style, Patrick! I always know to expect the best with your work.

I would like to echo a few of the other critiques going on in a couple ways. I do agree that the pirate gets a touch lost there at the top. The sunset is so bright and lovely to look at that your eye kind of misses the scurvy fellow up there on the ship. I think you might could have used some of the orange in the sunset for his rim lighting. That would have brought the eye more towards him. Maybe just on his hat and forearm.

Also I might have added a touch of color to his clothing. Perhaps just a little gold on the buttons of his jacket/belt buckle/sword hilt to help it look more interesting. (not too much though, as his grey look makes him nice and seaworthy and manly ^_^)

Overall this is awesome. You know what you're doing, dude! Im currently taking some courses to help me understand digital painting. I can only pine to be a fraction as good as you are at this stuff. :D

bassanimation

I really like this one, Odysee. I have to admit, I didn't understand the pun in the other version. ^^; I had to ask a friend what it meant, but I also didn't know the phrase. Just me and my lack of understanding. I really liked the rendering overall. This joke is a lot more accessible to folk who dont know the ways of the sea ^^. Great work! Also I'd like to see eye-patched Washington duke it out with Lincoln. That would rule... :D

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: No Escape

Awww, super cute, Bass! Great to see you subbing!

bassanimation

Re: Forbidden Treasure

This is really pretty, ramy! I love the background and your color use is always great.

I do think the lighting on the anchor looks a tad off, as the object doesnt seem to be planted within the scene. If the lighting is coming from the top and back, I think more of the anchor would be in shadow. Also, the focus on the anchor seems just a touch in your face and takes a bit of the mysterious feeling away from the scene. The dark, sunken background is so nice. Putting the anchor a bit further back into the scene, almost in silhouette, would be nice. The best, most interesting part of the image is the sunken ship and gold treasure, so that would be nice to focus more on.

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan

Excellent Tony! +1

midgerock

uber cute and I realy love the color choices on this one.

also...

the mouse is Goodnight, everybody!ed!

fourlane77

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77
cptgone wrote:lol!

would have bought this.

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.

fourlane77

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77
thumperchick wrote:Totally laughed. Thanks for that.

...you're absolutely welcome! ..thanks for sharing...

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
midgerock wrote:I'm not a fan of using clip art or vectors. I really wish you did take the time to draw this design and intergrated the elements more. All the elements seem floating not really providing a cohesive dynamic for the design, IMO.

As to artist's opinions on the use of clip art and vectors, you may not get their opinion on that point or on your design or others. "Why?", you may ask. As with other public arenas woot is no different when it comes to social politics. Most artists don't want to come off as jerks, calling an artist out on being lazy or stealing. They feel that they will lose a vote here and there and the public may turn against them. They want to save face and still appear to the public happy happy sunshine. But as an artist that interacts with other artists, I can tell you a majority of them don't like the use of clip art and vectors and they feel it is lazy.

Thanks, Midge. I understand (and I agree w/ your criticisms as well) and I wish I'd have had another hour or two in my schedule to fix them. My original border wasn't working, and my choice was between doing nothing this week or going for a crutch, and I chose the latter this time. (I'm an engineer w/ a 50-hour/week job and four kids, and this week family and work commitments ate up all but the very wee hours of the morning. Right now, I'm backstage at church, getting ready to play w/ the band for 600 people, followed by a couple more music gigs). Normally, I carve out Thursday evening to do a design (usually, but not always, from scratch).

I guess I understand why some artists won't comment, but I just didn't understand why the commenter (who didn't seem to be one) was really bent over this. I do wish I'd have had more time, but I didn't, and it was more important to me to share a funny idea than to demur for lack of time to give it the full treatment.

Thank you, sincerely, for your feedback.

This design could have been so much more if you took the extra time to pull it all together. I hope you can respect that I took the time to comment out of respect for you as an artist, because I know you can do so much better than this. [/quote]

brockart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages brockart
Re: Music Piracy

This is great! The Cd's and the 8-tracks must be manning the ship.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

This is amazing. Happy to vote for it.

brockart

Re: ARRR!

I like the pre-historic parrot. It's a stretch, but WHAT a stretch!

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712

I understand that rules have to be adhered to. Totally agree with that. But it just seems like at times it goes a bit far in efforts to disqualify sometimes great designs. I get woot is a business and they want to sell original stuff. For some of us, like myself, this design is original. I don't spend hours on other sites. I feel like as long as the design is exclusively available on woot if selected then that should be enough.

I respect what the artists here do, but please don't act like the folks who are only here to purchase stuff and vote on designs are somehow below you. I noticed this before and that kept me from commenting for awhile and now I regret attempting to participate in things. Lesson learned.

brockart

Re: Sorry Polly!

BARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH Be Que!

bassanimation

Re: X Marks Spot.

This is super super clever, Midge! It's a great pirate joke without being as bold as some others. Plus, cute puppy is win!

My only tiny critique would be that you might not need quite so many lines in the blanket area. In this one course Im doing, the instructor says to let your shapes 'breathe' a little. I feel like it gets a touch tight right inside the blanket detail. But it's just a nitpick. Super wearable tee! +1!

brockart

Re: The Crow's Nest

I would buy a murder of them!

bassanimation

brockart wrote:I would buy a murder of them!

^ ^ ^ Quality post!! ^ ^ ^

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

Well the formatting of that is all messed up, but I hope you get the gist of it :-)

Peace to you...

memnoch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages memnoch
computermd82 wrote:Now this is awesome! Can I buy this now? lol

+1 vote to you, Good luck!

almost certainly!
lol.

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv

These are the cutest cat fish I've ever Seen, I Wish I could have some in my fish tank, that would be so cool.