jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv
Re: Purrrates

HAA!!! Someone spiked the milk with catnip, now that is both cute and funny.

jfsiv

jfsiv

jfsiv

Re: I Arrr Lucky

That is really cool I can already see this pirate collecting many carrots in gold.

jfsiv

jsee1218

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsee1218
captainbaldie wrote:You have a lot of skill for sure, but I think you should really start working on your concepts and compositions more. You usually just depict the derby theme with a whirlwind of halftones, and the majority ohhhs and ahhhs, but frankly, I find your work incredibly boring as is. I don't expect you to care much, as your designs see prints quite often around here, but I still thought my two cents would be worth something.

Your two cents would be worth something if you would tell the designer why you find their work boring. Perhaps throw something constructive out there like "I think you've overused the halftones in x and y parts of the design" or even "I think there are too many shadows and the colors need to pop a little more". Anything but just "It's boring". The designer can't use that to help refine their work. And I've noticed a lot of the designers around here enjoy getting feedback on their designs, especially if it's constructive. So throw something else out there. "It's boring" simply won't work.

anamya

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anamya

What does everyone use to get such nice halftones and line halftones? I use Photoshop. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

redzinger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redzinger

Bloody Brilliant

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
anamya wrote:What does everyone use to get such nice halftones and line halftones? I use Photoshop. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Here's a good tutorial that may get you started.

Nothing follows.

jfsiv

Re: Finders, Keepers

Great Ship I would heat to see it destroyed by Moby dwarf the great White star.

anamya

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anamya
taternuggets wrote:Here's a good tutorial that may get you started.

Thanks so much!

jfsiv

jfsiv

Re: Pirate (space)ship

This is cooool!!!, I like how you used your half tones to make the clouds look so natural on the shirt.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: Arrrrrrgyle

there was a previous woot shirt with the same name and much similarity to this design. Winner of derby 18: Aaarrrgyle by RobGlenn
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=6376

thanks to bluchez for www.shirtwhat.com that helped me find it within seconds. this is an important resource.

jfsiv

Re: Pie Rat

Neat But I wouldn't eat it no matter how hunger I get out at sea.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
aerc712 wrote:Call me cynical, but something seems off when the one who seems to be the most vocal about disqualifying a high scoring submission has not one, but two submissions with low numbers.

Motivations are kind of irrelevant. Rules arrrrrr rules.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
lyonscc wrote:Well the formatting of that is all messed up, but I hope you get the gist of it :-)

Peace to you...

;)

midgerock

Re: Bread 'n Butter Pirate

This is really quality work Winter. Cute and fun design. I wish it was getting more votes. Love the line work and solid clean presentation.

markedward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markedward
sodalite wrote:how can he see through his eyepatch?

Whooo knooows!

schlady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schlady
Re: The jolliest letter of them all!!

Great idea! Such a concise and effective pirate design. R!!!

"Way to leave room for the rest of us, John."

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
aerc712 wrote:I understand that rules have to be adhered to. Totally agree with that. But it just seems like at times it goes a bit far in efforts to disqualify sometimes great designs. I get woot is a business and they want to sell original stuff. For some of us, like myself, this design is original. I don't spend hours on other sites. I feel like as long as the design is exclusively available on woot if selected then that should be enough.

I respect what the artists here do, but please don't act like the folks who are only here to purchase stuff and vote on designs are somehow below you. I noticed this before and that kept me from commenting for awhile and now I regret attempting to participate in things. Lesson learned.

No reason to regret commenthing. Just keep in mind when your comment calls sour grapes that the artist can respond.

Will wait to see, as I thought it was restricted to tee sales, not the art in other forms as well.

Will be interesting yo see the

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

schlady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schlady
Re: Modern Pirate

I like your use of different greys in this, subtle solid tones for a nice clean design. Well done!

"Way to leave room for the rest of us, John."

wersns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wersns

captainbaldie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages captainbaldie
jsee1218 wrote:Your two cents would be worth something if you would tell the designer why you find their work boring. Perhaps throw something constructive out there like "I think you've overused the halftones in x and y parts of the design" or even "I think there are too many shadows and the colors need to pop a little more". Anything but just "It's boring". The designer can't use that to help refine their work. And I've noticed a lot of the designers around here enjoy getting feedback on their designs, especially if it's constructive. So throw something else out there. "It's boring" simply won't work.

I said why I find it boring. The theme is pirates and he made a pirate on a pirate ship. He usually just depicts the theme as bluntly and uniformly as possible. It's a piece of concept art on a shirt for all intents and purposes. I also mentioned that his concepts and composition need some serious work in my opinion.

4khaos

quality posts: 8 Private Messages 4khaos
Re: The jolliest letter of them all!!

Similar ideas exist:
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=60907
(And in the above link, there are more links to other existing similar designs.)

jagendorf

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jagendorf

Why does the design have to be more than just a pirate on a pirate ship? Patrickspens has the artistic chops to create something beautiful that is at its base so simple. Not everything has to be funny or cute to be printed on Woot.

Bilyum it up all day long!

bigmaceater69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigmaceater69

Thanks!

cptgone wrote:wow!

love the details (the upside down map, the cat skull, the way you drew the sun, the whatsitcalled handkerchief hat).

pretty, funny, and it has cats and pirates! want want want

midgerock

aerc712 wrote:
I respect what the artists here do, but please don't act like the folks who are only here to purchase stuff and vote on designs are somehow below you. I noticed this before and that kept me from commenting for awhile and now I regret attempting to participate in things. Lesson learned.

outrageous accusation is outragoues. How in the seven hills of hell did you come up that I or other artists think or feel you and voters in general are beneath the them? if you're trollin' for arguments sake please troll on but please understand your claim is pure fantasy. Not for one moment in any of my comments was there any inkling of that intent stated or inferred.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: ARRRM Wrestling

Very funny concept!

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
Re: Quarrrter

I just like the idea of Washington as a buccaneer. Voted!

jsee1218

captainbaldie wrote:I said why I find it boring. The theme is pirates and he made a pirate on a pirate ship. He usually just depicts the theme as bluntly and uniformly as possible. It's a piece of concept art on a shirt for all intents and purposes. I also mentioned that his concepts and composition need some serious work in my opinion.

And there's something wrong with a pirate on a pirate ship for a pirate themed derby? Can you expand on what you think the designer could do to help his concepts and composition? Some detail would be nice.
From what I gather from your post, all you're telling the designer is essentially "the way you interpreted the derby theme is boring". What would you have the designer do differently? This is the constructive criticism I was talking about that your post lacks.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
captainbaldie wrote:I said why I find it boring. The theme is pirates and he made a pirate on a pirate ship. He usually just depicts the theme as bluntly and uniformly as possible. It's a piece of concept art on a shirt for all intents and purposes. I also mentioned that his concepts and composition need some serious work in my opinion.

Personally I don't find this to be a wearable design myself, but I also find it gorgeous and an excellent example of digital painting. I think there is room to criticize Patrick's work, but saying all his designs depict the theme bluntly and uniformly is really harsh. Acquired Taste and Escape are just two examples of shirts of his that do not fit that description.

jsee1218

jsee1218 wrote:And there's something wrong with a pirate on a pirate ship for a pirate themed derby? Can you expand on what you think the designer could do to help his concepts and composition? Some detail would be nice.
From what I gather from your post, all you're telling the designer is essentially "the way you interpreted the derby theme is boring". What would you have the designer do differently? This is the constructive criticism I was talking about that your post lacks.

P.S. See bassanimation's comments on this design. That is constructive criticism.

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82
Re: Drink Up Me Hearties

So erie and dark...me likes!

zooamylou68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zooamylou68
Re: Ka-BOOOM!!

I would love to vote but can't figure out how.

taternuggets

zooamylou68 wrote:I would love to vote but can't figure out how.

You have to make one purchase off any woot site before you can vote in the derby. Prevents fake "voting" accounts.

Nothing follows.

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
cptgone wrote:wow! nice to see a style that differs from the usual. lovely shirt. needs more votes!

Thank you so much for the encouraging comment I do get frustrated. One day, one day...I'm gonna be somebody!

taternuggets

cherylfrancis wrote:Thank you so much for the encouraging comment I do get frustrated. One day, one day...I'm gonna be somebody!

Hang in there. The derby is really hard and I never know which ones of mine are gonna hit at all... suddenly you'll just have one take off. Never know what the voters are gonna bite on. They are a tricky bunch.

Nothing follows.

cherylfrancis

krissalus wrote:I'm loving your cartoon style here. Shame this doesn't have more votes, but it definitely has mine!

Thank you, very much! I'm going to be hard headed and continue submitting.

cherylfrancis

taternuggets wrote:Hang in there. The derby is really hard and I never know which ones of mine are gonna hit at all... suddenly you'll just have one take off. Never know what the voters are gonna bite on. They are a tricky bunch.

really..thank you so much. I was holding out hope that's the way it worked.