taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
kerrylea wrote:wow. rather shocking number of 'critiques', if you can call 'em that. i very much like that the reference is subtle! i would look forward to the inevitable questions, & even more forward to comments from the few who could work it out on their own. seriously, at least there's something in it for them like me who are fairly shot of cutesy anime-inspired 'winners' that would make me look like i'm in gradeschool. you go, tater! i hope to wear this on international talk-like-a-pirate day!

Nothing follows.

lisonallie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lisonallie
bluetuba wrote:It's not really a math joke, it's more like a play on the new-fangled digital pirates who plunder data instead of gold doubloons. It's a jolly roger made of binary.

hm ok....But why don't people want actual pirate shirts? Perhaps since it's a pirate derby there's just so much of one thing that people are begging for something different?

theglitter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theglitter

I love this.

dianawade

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dianawade
Re: Arrrrrrctopus!

I want this so much, I hope it prints! Great job!

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82
Re: X Marks the Pot...

I love his beard! Great execution on this, need it for St. Patrrrick's Day!

cpresti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpresti
eleanorzombie wrote:I love this shirt; I really hope it makes it through. Break a leg!

Thank you!

Check out my Food design please!

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: Some Translation Required

Voted.

IF you don't like, don't vote for it. If you feel you need to provide a critique ... provide constructive ones. Like I feel if you had tried this style or moved this to here.... don't just say it looks bad/stupid/wrong. That does not help the artist and is in bad taste.

Woot is a playground of many talented and upcoming artists. Let's keep it to supportive.

jmcorakitty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmcorakitty

I think this design would look great on the back of the shirt

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
bluetuba wrote:You know, I appreciate the direct approach sometimes. People are so quick to wedge cute animals, pop culture references, nerd jokes, or something into every single theme regardless of relevance. It's nice to see a great pirate on a pirate ship in the pirate derby.

I have to say that I see both arguments to the whole concept issue. While some may think a classic pirate on a classic ship is boring, it illustrates the theme perfectly. It is also a strikingly lovely example of the theme. Sometimes people want a clear example of an idea instead of something out in left field. It all depends on what you like most in an idea ^_^.

Patrick's work has spanned just about every single style I can think of since I've been here. Dude can draw just about anything, in any style. If I were to follow his thought process for this piece, I imagine he figured there'd be a lot of cute animals and jokes to contend with. A gritty, old fashioned sea dog might stand out in the crowd, and indeed it does.

Amiright?? -nudge nudge-

Also you can view some of Patrick's other works here at his blog. I visit it often!!!

Patrick's blog

SteveBook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SteveBook
Re: Incompetent Fools (No Text)

Nicely executed. Having no text allows for a whole bunch of interpretations of this design, some of which might be quite odd.

quabaq

quality posts: 4 Private Messages quabaq
Re: Incompetent Fools (No Text)

This made me laugh so much!

SteveBook

Re: Arrrgyle Parrot

Excellent! Love the bird.

I can't tell because of the placement of its body, but is the parrot wearing matching socks?

SteveBook

Re: Coffee Matey

Is that decaf or regulARR?

Nicely done.

SteveBook

Re: Pirate Radio

I keep coming back to look at this design. It's a smile producer, big time. Great color choices.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
midgerock wrote:outrageous accusation is outragoues. How in the seven hills of hell did you come up that I or other artists think or feel you and voters in general are beneath the them? if you're trollin' for arguments sake please troll on but please understand your claim is pure fantasy. Not for one moment in any of my comments was there any inkling of that intent stated or inferred.

I'm not just trying to stir up an argument. I checked on the comments for this design because I really like it and would like to see it printed. Others initially mentioned seeing it elsewhere but as I read things over, it seemed like you were the most vocal about it being disqualified. Furthermore, it seemed, as I said before, that some of your comments were driven by the fact that you did not submit a design a previous week and were upset about that. I took that as you had a personal issue with this situation and that the motivation for the lengthy posts about how this design supposedly violates a ton of rules was motivated by your own personal issues. So, I spoke up and threw my two cents out there.

I will stand by my comment that at times, the tone in messages (here and elsewhere) defers to the artists and can be dismissive of those who are not. As a relatively new participant (which I admitted right away) and someone who has never submitted a design I will admit that I am still learning about things work here. For me, though, it seems like at times the message is "you're not an artist, you don't know enough to participate." I don't expect you to understand that Midgerock because of the perspective that you have, but this is how I've interpreted things here and on other threads.

SteveBook

Re: Booba Pirate Radio

What a fun shirt!

I especially like the parrot and the gold tooth.

SteveBook

Re: Quarrrter

I guess taken together, your designs represent ... (drumroll)...

change for a quarter.

GMV.

SteveBook

Re: Ka-BOOOM!!

This is great! I like her attitude, her fashion accessories, and the somewhat crazed parrot.

pepeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pepeman
tambo008 wrote:There are a lot of Pi Rat's around. What better way to say it!

LOL This little fellow does'nt need much to say alot...

SteveBook

Re: Land Blubber

Nice. There is a shortage of walrus-based designs.

Love the tattoo.

SteveBook

Re: No Escape

The cat fish are simultaneously creepy, cute, and captivating.

I especially like the mouse's prehensile tail.

Nicely done!

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82
AlexIAm wrote:literally lol'd

funny how "lol" means 'something funny' and does not imply actually laughing out loud anymore...but rather you have to state it like you did...oh, ever evolving language, I hate you...

fishiam

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fishiam

I liked that you decide to mystify the date. No chads left hanging here.

perdita00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perdita00
SteveBook wrote:I keep coming back to look at this design. It's a smile producer, big time. Great color choices.

Thankyou so much I really enjoyed making this one!

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
citizencoyote wrote:Personally I don't find this to be a wearable design myself, but I also find it gorgeous and an excellent example of digital painting. I think there is room to criticize Patrick's work, but saying all his designs depict the theme bluntly and uniformly is really harsh. Acquired Taste and Escape are just two examples of shirts of his that do not fit that description.

I'm on the fence about wearability. The focal point is where the fabric would fold and obscure the sunset on me. On the other hand that would mean that your attention is not drawn away from Blackbeard (yes it is clearly Blackbeard and not Sparrow) which would help prevent him from being missed.

I am happy not to see an other bad pun shirt in this derby. There are sadly few just plain awesome designs in a derby that seemed to encourage them.

izzyofthesecondkind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages izzyofthesecondkind
Re: Digital Piracy

Looks pretty similar to the shirt on this site...

http://tshirtbrute.com/products/85407.jpg

IMO

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: The Crow's Nest

Stellar character and illustration!

lucky1988

Re: Some Translation Required

Sweet design and so wearable! +1

lucky1988

Re: No Escape

awesome characters and colors!

KAZVorpal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages KAZVorpal
Re: Your Pi-Rate Shirt

Hmmm...I thought the shirt layout part was for Woot, didn't realize it was going to be the main page for the shirt, or I'd have spiffed it up more.

We should have a way to upload newer versions of the image over the old ones.

dreadwood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dreadwood
aerc712 wrote:
I will stand by my comment that at times, the tone in messages (here and elsewhere) defers to the artists and can be dismissive of those who are not. As a relatively new participant (which I admitted right away) and someone who has never submitted a design I will admit that I am still learning about things work here. For me, though, it seems like at times the message is "you're not an artist, you don't know enough to participate." I don't expect you to understand that Midgerock because of the perspective that you have, but this is how I've interpreted things here and on other threads.

I don't know about this. For example, Narfcake has yet to submit a design, yet he pretty much dominates the forums around here.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
Re: Watery Grave

The way you executed the rays of sun make them look like prison bars, things you have to look past to see the scene. To get them integrated into the image they should stop at what you want to highlight, I'd say the pirate over the treasure in this instance. You should probably edge what is getting highlighted by the rays with the ray's color.

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape
Re: All Sails Ahead!

Wow. Really well done, but I wouldn't be able to wear this because it's really straightforward and seems to just say "I'm really into pirates" or "I'm really into those POTC movies" neither of which I am.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
dreadwood wrote:I don't know about this. For example, Narfcake has yet to submit a design, yet he pretty much dominates the forums around here.

Again, I'm new so there are only so many things that I've read and I don't always know who's an artist or not. I didn't know that Narfcake has not submitted a design, to go with that example. I just was trying to express that I've interpreted certain messages to have a tone of artists knowing more than non-artists. Guess I just misinterpreted everything. Disregard everything I've said.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: Arrrrrrctopus!

Thanks everyone!

mailmanmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mailmanmo
Re: Your Pi-Rate Shirt

excellent shirt, lol!

lepyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lepyan
blanked wrote:The way you executed the rays of sun make them look like prison bars, things you have to look past to see the scene. To get them integrated into the image they should stop at what you want to highlight, I'd say the pirate over the treasure in this instance. You should probably edge what is getting highlighted by the rays with the ray's color.

Thanks, I appreciate the critique. I hope to resubmit this, as I don't like the half toning. Now I have at least two areas to improve. I'm still learning and have difficulty with the 20MB limit for the print ready file. Thanks for the advice.

zoobawa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zoobawa
izzyofthesecondkind wrote:Looks pretty similar to the shirt on this site...

http://tshirtbrute.com/products/85407.jpg

IMO

except that looks terribad and this looks awesome.

Obvious things that are different are color, hat, size of the numbers, size of the head, width of the swords, handle of the swords, eyepatch, actual detail for teeth, etc.

marvinleal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marvinleal
Re: It's Good to be a Pirate

Thanks for the vote and the comments I wish this shirt was doing better as well. If anyone has any comments on what I could do to improve the design please let me know.

Westlyftw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Westlyftw
Re: All Sails Ahead!

I REALLY like the shirt, but I can understand some of the comments thinking the design is pedestrian in a lot of respects. It basically looks like something that could be inside a "ARRR PIRATES!" picture book or something, and doesn't seem to be a piece designed specifically for a tee.

Me, I'm totally cool with it, and I find similar examples with a lot of the stuff two of my favorites around here do, Dead Frog and Drakxxx. While I find both of those guys to have a more inherent style in their work, both typical make designs that look like they should go in books or be covers of books. Drakxxx stuff typically induces nightmares though.

Anyways, great shirt, voted for it.