aunteah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aunteah
Re: Pirate Hooks of the World

Love this shirt. GMV, but can someone explain the Norway hook?

bmscurlock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmscurlock
Re: The Booty Kraken

LMBO! Made me laugh! I always call my friend McCraken b/c she refuses to wear a belt. If this makes it, I will DEFINITELY get one! LOLOLOL! Love it!

madalice

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madalice
bethany3cat wrote:I like your use of text to create the Jolly Roger saying, "R."

I have to admit it took me a beat or two to really get it. I had to step back from What do the letters say? into the question, "What does the graphic present?"

Nice graphic! Fabulous integration of the shape of the letter into the design of a familiar object.

Reminiscent (in a non-copying or duplicative fashion) of TAter and Ignorant's team Pi-Rat. You've done on a grand scale what they accomplished with their rat's ear and right claw, in my opinion. In a word, Brilliant (yours and theirs).

Thanks!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Pirate Toast - Arrr!
lonelypond wrote:like it; cute enough for many smiles.

Thanks lonelypond

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: ARRR!

I like it a lot, specially the color scheme

bluekirbypwns

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bluekirbypwns

cool design

completely unrelated, I see a cow in the waves

leprechaungirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leprechaungirl
Re: All Sails Ahead!

This is awesome as usual!!! How you do so much with only six colors, I'll never know!

palookaboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palookaboy
odysseyroc wrote:Who doesn't love a corny pun?

or even a coiny pun??

leprechaungirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leprechaungirl
bassanimation wrote:I have to say that I see both arguments to the whole concept issue. While some may think a classic pirate on a classic ship is boring, it illustrates the theme perfectly. It is also a strikingly lovely example of the theme. Sometimes people want a clear example of an idea instead of something out in left field. It all depends on what you like most in an idea ^_^.

Patrick's work has spanned just about every single style I can think of since I've been here. Dude can draw just about anything, in any style. If I were to follow his thought process for this piece, I imagine he figured there'd be a lot of cute animals and jokes to contend with. A gritty, old fashioned sea dog might stand out in the crowd, and indeed it does.

Amiright?? -nudge nudge-

Also you can view some of Patrick's other works here at his blog. I visit it often!!!

Patrick's blog

You're absolutely right!!! :D You always express your opinion in the best way. It's always thoughtful and kind while still being constructive. I always find myself agreeing with you! I've long thought you're the nicest person to frequent the derby

Patrick's designs are sometimes basically the base of the theme but he always executes them in extraordinary ways. I agree that the Pirate and ship could use a few small, bright details to add a little deapth but the fact that he kind of flows into the ship makes it feel like the pirate and ship are two pieces of one whole. Plus, at the end of the day pirates are dark characters. This design makes that obvious.

wallyrus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wallyrus
Re: Some Translation Required

So help me out, Woot: The hook design got rejected yesterday for "no clip art", but this design which obviously has clip art, as well (see here and here for examples) has not been rejected for the same thing?

Also, the font it uses (Pieces of Eight) is for personal use only, not royalty free for commercial use.

Just wondering what the difference is?

Spelcheck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spelcheck
Re: X Marks the Pot...

Big Fan, to be honest never imagined a pirate in this situation...

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 206 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: X marks the spot

Such a shame, sorry to see it disqualified Naolito.

Manfet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Manfet

You made an error. It seems like you wrote "not" accidentally.

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
wallyrus wrote:So help me out, Woot: The hook design got rejected yesterday for "no clip art", but this design which obviously has clip art, as well (see here and here for examples) has not been rejected for the same thing?

Also, the font it uses (Pieces of Eight) is for personal use only, not royalty free for commercial use.

That clipart is not matching what is on the shirt. Boat's not close at all. Just because the artwork is simple doesn't mean it's clipart. I know the artist and one of her styles if very simple artwork.

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
Re: Rated ARRRRRR

Good Luck!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
wallyrus wrote:So help me out, Woot: The hook design got rejected yesterday for "no clip art", but this design which obviously has clip art, as well (see here and here for examples) has not been rejected for the same thing?

Grrlmarvel is correct. I didn't use clipart. The images are simple, but I drew them. As for the font, I got it from a different site that claimed it was free. I'm pretty careful about checking to make sure what I'm using is commercial-friendly. I've actually had that font for a while on my computer so maybe it changed to personal since I downloaded it. It's easy enough to change out for a free font. I've already made the change on my print file and sent it to woot.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
aunteah wrote:Love this shirt. GMV, but can someone explain the Norway hook?

Coat of Arms?

move along

brendon27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brendon27
Re: No Quarter Given

Gave my vote, will definitely buy! :D

"Can't we all just get along? Or have we forgotten the words of the Reverend King?"

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh
Manfet wrote:You made an error. It seems like you wrote "not" accidentally.

Sorry, you're not right. I'm stating that the iPatch is awesome but doesn't cost much money (similar to most advertisements). Not sure why you think it is an error.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
j5 wrote:Coat of Arms?

Also Vikings, and trees. Remember these are evokative of what popular culture (and most americans) think of when they see the country name.

Also, Congraduations on being in the both the top 9 "last shirt submitted' and top 9 "best shirts in derby" a rare feat indeed!

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
collinvh wrote:Sorry, you're not right. I'm stating that the iPatch is awesome but doesn't cost much money (similar to most advertisements). Not sure why you think it is an error.

I believe he was taking a swipe at apple products there.

Nothing follows.

ellegee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ellegee
Re: Peg-Leg Pete's

I like this a lot, and I like that it's a simple design. Beautiful artwork on a shirt is awesome, but so is a short simple joke. I'd buy it

kwyjibo73

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kwyjibo73
Re: Rated ARRRRRR

I wasn't completely sold until "Shifty Monkeys" hahaha!

+1!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Goblin and Chest

How many colors is this?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1
dfunk29 wrote:Love it! And "redband trailers" are a rare thing in a movie theater! GMV!

Thanks! That's true; of course one could wear this shirt to the theater and change that trend.

thatquietgir1 wrote:Good Luck!

Thanks!

kwyjibo73 wrote:I wasn't completely sold until "Shifty Monkeys" hahaha!

+1!

That's great- glad their shiftiness is paying off for me. Thanks! (btw I love your moniker!)

bethany3cat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bethany3cat
bethany3cat wrote:My four shirt entries in my first ever Woot! Derby, and my first ever illustration submissions went to Cats! Cats! Cats!; they were Feline Ouroboros, F. Ouroboros Pop Art, Three to Tee, and Cheshire Dressing Room.

I got some feedback on those entries (big shout out to those three people). But I'm begging for more.

I have no unrealistic ambitions of winning ever, but my new goal is a hundred votes (thanks for helping me break my original goal of 50 last time).

To hope to accomplish that, I need to appeal to about, oh, 87 more of you in the next Derby.

What feedback can you illustrious Woot-izens offer?(and I bet you saw what I did there, after all you lot like and get puns) I was told one entry last time appealed on its simplicity -- so what did I do, I entered something extremely complicated.

Hmmm, I will endeavor to apply the feedback going forward, though I will probably err on one side or the other...

So too complicated this round? Too dark? Maybe heather would be better? These are my guesses, but please don't make me play 20 questions.

Last, but not least, tell me, please, if anything is right. Do you encourage me to try something that worked a second time? I'm not really angling for a compliment, so much as what not to throw out with the bath water. I taught for more than a decade (not art or illustration, but I bet you knew that), and I always wanted to ensure that my students kept doing the right part going forward. Although most of them just wanted me to shut up and cut to the chase.

If you have to tell me, "You draw very round circles," go ahead. At least I will know this microphone is on...

brankitteh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brankitteh
Re: Parley

I'm really hoping this gets more votes. I am saving space in my wallet for this one!

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
Re: From Sea to Sky

I keep coming back to this....so sad it's not in the fog!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 206 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Crow's Nest

Thanks very much for all the comments and support. ^__^

I wonder if losing the linework into the shirt color was a mistake, some of the charm of the design was there. I can think of a few things I'd do differently now. Darn, I need to start nailing that the first time around!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
Spiritgreen wrote:Thanks very much for all the comments and support. ^__^

I wonder if losing the linework into the shirt color was a mistake, some of the charm of the design was there. I can think of a few things I'd do differently now. Darn, I need to start nailing that the first time around!

I'm not sure it's the loss of the linework, as much as the lack of contrast between the design and the shirt. Give it the old squint test. Then again there's always the "who knows what voters like or dislike" factor. I think all of us start seeing things we could have done differently, as soon as we put stuff up for voting.

j5

Re: Pirate Games

OK, I'll bite.

first and foremost, you submitted 1 day before cutoff. That's way too late. You did get 14 votes in that one day, so that should be somewhat encouraging. When the derby theme is announced on Thursday, get to work and have something in by the weekend.

This piece suffers from being a bit on the busy side. Looking at the design from a few feet back, you can't tell what's going on.
For this idea, a mockup of a more realistic steering wheel appearing to have been cobbled up with shipboard bric-a-brac would have sold it.

I like your font.

HTH.

move along

PCBconehead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages PCBconehead
Re: ARRRM Wrestling

Great design!

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
j5 wrote:OK, I'll bite.

first and foremost, you submitted 1 day before cutoff. That's way too late. You did get 14 votes in that one day, so that should be somewhat encouraging. When the derby theme is announced on Thursday, get to work and have something in by the weekend.

This piece suffers from being a bit on the busy side. Looking at the design from a few feet back, you can't tell what's going on.
For this idea, a mockup of a more realistic steering wheel appearing to have been cobbled up with shipboard bric-a-brac would have sold it.

I like your font.

HTH.

J5 is wise.

I still cherish what we call the "J5 Three."

Nothing follows.

theanger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theanger
Re: Peg-Leg Pete's

Monkey Island? You fight like a dairy farmer.

bethany3cat

j5 wrote:
OK, I'll bite.

I like your font.

HTH.

Awwwww. I'm so glad you mentioned my font!

It's available for commercial use, and they had me at, "That looks good, what's it called." It's called "Gilligan's Island."

Back at you baby!

For the Record, j5 is my hero.

He gave me feedback and a vote for effort on my Cheshire Cat Dressing Room (no, please don't go look; seriously, there's I reason I don't have it in my sig line).

He's the guy that pointed me to GIMP. Strangely, I sprained my ankle on Thursday; accident? I think by definition.

FYI: I had an entry by Sunday evening, but I was fighting new program knowledge and resizing without pixelating. Oh, and a shout out to Xanzibar for his GIMP posting in Artist Resources.

You see I kept doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results -- the scary part is I swear that it resolved differently after the eighteenth time the computer locked up and died. (Note to self: "Better, stronger, faster," requires six million dollars you don't have, but "Make it Work" is free.)

I absolutely know that posting my entry on Tuesday does not a strong voting presence make. If there was a whine in my voice, I didn't mean it that way -- please select all phrasing in that color tone and delete. I assumed going in that I was not in the running, this is more of a learning experiment and attempt to redefine myself.

With a tiny bit of petulance (but no whine, maybe more sarcasm), it will make me feel better if you tell me you hate this and don't think it could clean up all that great:

Edit: Posted in a public forum, now; can you see it?

Regardless, you answered my call for guidance, once again. (Now, how do I turn off this bat signal?)

taternuggets wrote:J5 is wise.

I still cherish what we call the "J5 Three."

In recognizing wisdom, Taternuggets is wise, too, by the way. I may not carve it into anything, but I will create a link to it.

And since pop culture was out, I was left with clean lines and simple design. Whoa, epic fail for me! Tee hee.

Thank you both, very much, for the feedback. (Well, Tater, thanks for the feedback on j5's feedback and the feed back to his previous feedback.)

BTW j5: What does "HTH" stand for? (Probably a V.I. Warshowski moment, but I can play along.)

firefrogh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages firefrogh
theanger wrote:Monkey Island? You fight like a dairy farmer.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

hahahaha

dijay

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijay
Re: Music Piracy

Great!

dijay

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijay
Re: Overweight

Thanks all :D

j5

bethany3cat wrote:
BTW j5: What does "HTH" stand for? (Probably a V.I. Warshowski moment, but I can play along.)

Hope This/That Helps/Helped

move along

bethany3cat

j5 wrote:Hope This/That Helps/Helped

Oh,I guess I should have known that. It did help, but that likely came across in my reply.

VI Warshawski when asked, "What does the V.I. Stand for?" would have answered, "My name."