lepyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lepyan
Re: Jolly Rorschach

Excellent. I love the simplicity... or illusion of such.

victorian211

quality posts: 0 Private Messages victorian211

No, it's a little awesome.

zombienerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zombienerd
Re: No Escape

I really hope this shirt gets printed. It's awesome and just weird enough to be the best shirt ever. Great job on it!

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
j5 wrote:Unless it's blatant, and I mean really obvious, use of clip-art is left to the community to police. See the comments in FishBiscuit5's entry where she had to defend her original art. In some cases, an artist will slip and admit to using clip art or photo brushes while describing the design process. Rejection follows.

J5 - I may be wrong, but in the design I linked to, the use of stock vectors is mentioned in one of the first comments. This particular artist has a similar entry in this derby with plenty of stock images, as well.

I read the FishBiscuit thread, and see how that mistake could be made, but I see stock art all the time here. I'd just like to see what Woot's "official" policy on it is, since they seem to care sometimes and not others.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Spiritgreen wrote:Oh man, that's so true. Sometimes I post in the pre-derby thread just because it forces me to look at what I'm working on more critically. :^)

Thanks for the feedback about the contrast. I was shooting for a more subtle overall image, something that doesn't pop, it just blends with the shirt in a wearable way. But that's only a stone's throw from being bland.

Spirit, I dont really think you did anything wrong on this design at all. I do see Odysee's point about the contrast, but I rather like the muted feel as it makes it seem more pirate-y and dark. I like when artists can successfully use muted tones and knock-out lines. I really fail with it, so I tend to go more contrasty, which can be a turn off. It makes things look a bit more cartoony, and less illustrative like this.

I think in this case it's not about your design so much as what people were looking for. We all know that people here tend to look for a specific or familiar type of message or image within the theme. If you don't hit that somehow, people may overlook your design, even if it's amazingly drawn. It seems people wanted gritty pirates and comedic jokes this go round. And for some reason, a cute mouse. I have no idea, really I don't. <--mind is boggled You did a fantastic job on this art, so don't think it's anything to do with the image.

Also I wanted to mention the great tips from both you and Odysee. I also use a hotkey to flip my image as I draw. It helps pick out wonkyness that you wouldn't see otherwise. Using the navigator window to have a far-off view of your design also helps figure out the contrast. There is another trick you can use that is similar. If you have a window open, you can make a copy of that window that will show what is going inside it simultaneously. Go to Window>Arrange>New Window For... This pops up your image in a mirror window. You can draw and paint in BOTH windows and it will mirror onto the other. Keep one small, and one large, and that will help you with mocking up, and detailing at the same time. ^_^

Wee Photoshop FTW!

lepyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lepyan
Re: Skull Moon. Pirates on the Horizon

I find the half toning a little distracting. Otherwise, it looks great -I like the light edging the waves, even the "cow."GMV

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Pirate (space)ship

Well, the derby is almost over. Thanks to everybody that voted or commented about my design! I loved reading all of them!

To all my fellow Foggers, I wish you all the best of luck. See you at midnight to celebrate with whoever wins!

yumac29

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yumac29

Am I the only one who would prefer this shirt with just the chair?
I find it funnier that way.

Nothing like a good shirt.woot argument. Gets me through a whole class.

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
Re: The PiRAT

Thanks for all of the support on this one

collinvh

quality posts: 61 Private Messages collinvh
Re: iPatch

Thank you for all the great comments and support this week. Please continue to watch for my work in future derbies. Cheers!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Crow's Nest

That sounds both fancy and clever. I must adopt it, post-haste!

lisonallie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lisonallie
anemality wrote:Oh, you haven't heard of the infamous White Wind Buccaneers, transcending the waves of the sea and deftly avoiding sea monsters and other ships alike while sailing flagless and swift as the breeze?

...yeah, you wouldn't have. They're pretty underground. :> It's okay, I forgive you.

please tell me if this prints elsewhere :3

Stellardig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stellardig
Re: Davy's Locker

THANK YOU EVERYONE THAT VOTED!

dangerdee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dangerdee

Its beautiful! I love it!

redcab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redcab
collinvh wrote:Thank you for all the great comments and support this week. Please continue to watch for my work in future derbies. Cheers!

Great work. I truly wish this would have made it. I know a lot of people who would have loved it, and I could have finished my Christmas shopping early. Keep 'em coming.

auntieclo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auntieclo
Re: No Quarter Given

I would love this to be a winning woot shirt!
Go George Go!

auntieclo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auntieclo
Re: No Quarter Given

I would love this to be a winning woot shirt!
Go George Go!

miyoshinum5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages miyoshinum5
mightyrain wrote:How is this not in violation of the text only rule? It is pretty much 99% text. I like it, but I would imagine it will get rejected.

How about the fact that there is a graphical element?

fabgab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fabgab

AHH! A corkscrew! I couldn't figure out the French one before, so thank you.

I think adding Neverland actually gives it a greater sense of whimsy that makes the silly hook designs make MORE sense... if THAT makes sense. I like it.

fabgab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fabgab
Re: Peg-Leg Pete's

You know you're a nerd when everyone else is arguing about whether the design suits the rules, and your only problem with it is wanting an Oxford comma.

I would buy this... and paint on an Oxford comma.

I also kind of wish "discerning" was another word that starts with P, just for awesome added alliteration. Picky? Particular? Oh oh, wait! PERSNICKETY! Yes, it should be PERSNICKETY.

indigogogo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages indigogogo
Re: Some Translation Required

I don't get it???

Hans17

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hans17
Re: iPatch

Maybe I'm not seeing it because I'm on a tablet but how does one vote for these?

Chmarr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chmarr
Re: No Escape

there is no way this shirt is not #1 for the derby!

Chmarr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chmarr
Chmarr wrote:there is no way this shirt is not #1 for the derby!

Well, okay, #2 ?

mxjx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mxjx
Re: X Marks the Pot...

Bummed this didn't make it!

pinothyj

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pinothyj
Re: Some Translation Required

I really hope this does not print, just because it is "Shiver MY Timbers" not "Shiver ME Timbers."

-_-…

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
pinothyj wrote:I really hope this does not print, just because it is "Shiver MY Timbers" not "Shiver ME Timbers."

-_-…

The hell it is.

Nothing follows.

lsfoster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lsfoster

I feel like an easy fix would have been to give the rat an eye patch. (Like, leave some blank space in the numbers to make the shape of one). Would have clearly tied it to the theme, and maybe made the joke even clearer.

I don't really have any strong opinion on whether this should qualify for the theme or not. I think it's a clever interpretation, but I generally like designs where it's funny even if you didn't know the derby prompt, and I feel like this would take a little explaining for someone else to get it.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
lsfoster wrote:I feel like an easy fix would have been to give the rat an eye patch. (Like, leave some blank space in the numbers to make the shape of one). Would have clearly tied it to the theme, and maybe made the joke even clearer.

I don't really have any strong opinion on whether this should qualify for the theme or not. I think it's a clever interpretation, but I generally like designs where it's funny even if you didn't know the derby prompt, and I feel like this would take a little explaining for someone else to get it.

See, that's just it. I am not a fan of designs where knowing what derby it came from is important. Anybody seeing you wearing this isn't going to have the first clue that this was from a pirate themed derby. I think the design fits the derby as Woot often embraces pun takes on the theme. But more importantly, I think it can stand on it's own apart from the derby.

The fact that it's a pirate shirt and doesn't have anything to do with pirates is the whole gag.

Nothing follows.

MurrayHR

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MurrayHR

For a guy with a 50 hour/week job, 4 kids, and a busy musical life you seem to have a lot of time to post on the internet.

Nevertheless, I loved your shirt and would have paid for it. I'm sorry it got rejected.

cwarfield82

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwarfield82
Chmarr wrote:Well, okay, #2 ?

Let's hope

tomalley6

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tomalley6
Re: Pirate Hooks of the World

That Irish hook is pretty racist.

tonyridgway

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonyridgway

I think this is only my second comment on woot, despite being a long-time fan and buyer (when finances allow). But I felt that all the whining merited a response.

To those whining about the rules: if you think you are better qualified to judge the shirts than the woot! staff, then by all means, send them your resume. Just don't hold your breath.

To the designers: this very nearly ruined my day. I generally check woot when I wake up for the day, and I am very glad that the shock and glee from seeing this shirt was BARELY contained before I spewed cereal and milk all over my laptop. Thanks for the fun design!

Taylorsch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Taylorsch

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

eabernhardt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eabernhardt

I don't understand how this is "pirate hooks of the WORLD". More like "Europe and this imaginary place".

TalonTx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TalonTx
PixelPants wrote:The pirate code in action.
Two colours on black.
Not my usual style or subject matter, but I wanted to see how the idea came out.
Thanks for looking.

I wanted this one to win so badly!!

december182004

quality posts: 0 Private Messages december182004
tomalley6 wrote:That Irish hook is pretty racist.

How is a potato masher racist?

bobcrenshaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobcrenshaw
Re: The PiRAT

Once again, my favorite shirt is in fourth place. Amazing shirt TATERNUGGETS. I hope your design sees the outside of a shirt one day.

bobcrenshaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobcrenshaw
Re: Butt Pirate

I was hoping someone would do a variation on the theme of "Butt Pirates". Congrats on not getting rejected.

MykalB

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MykalB
Re: Parley

Damn. This would've been an insta-buy. Fantastic design. I'll hope to see it on a shirt somewhere else. ::cough:: TeeFury