WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

That's right, Shirt.Wooters, it's Double-Take time again! We're digging back through the pile of Honorable Mentions from Derby #277 all the way up to #239, minus our last Double-Take of course. So artists, take a break and do some voting. This could be your last chance to snag that shirt you wished had printed the first time!

Designers: if in the meantime you've opted out of including your design in the Double-Take Derby, or sold/submitted your Honorable Mention design somewhere else, email us at shirt@woot.com by noon tomorrow and let us know. Any design found submitted for voting to another site, sold on another site, or for sale on another site will not be eligible for the Double-Take Derby and will be removed from consideration. Because we're jealous like that.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 110 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Woooo, I think I have 3 designs for this one.

Aww come on woot! Give us a little hint of what the next derby theme is so I can think about it and procrastinate.

This should be it for me.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Apparently no clues to the next derby theme for those of us sitting in steerage... guess it's time to work on that daily!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages Spiritgreen

::Phweeee!::

That's my double-take celebration whistle. It's the vuvuzela of the art world.

---

I know there's an avalanche of great returning designs. I'll have three buried in there somewhere:

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Any chance of a head start on the follow derby?

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets

Awww... I like the head start derbies.

Nothing follows.

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh

Um.... "Honorable Mentions from Derby #277 all the way up to #239" woot? Also, this wasn't supposed to be until next week. Right?

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Hey guy, keep an eye (no pun intended with the Pirate theme) for my desing on this DT. And the timing is perfect with all that snow coming down right now!

"Look Up"

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Ah, good timing.
I think I just have the one:
Rumbling in the Tumbling

rockymike

quality posts: 15 Private Messages rockymike

I'm pumped for this one. So many shirts that I've wanted that have just missed the mark. I see a few of them above.

Yeah, so there's that...

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
Spiritgreen wrote:::Phweeee!::

My wife and I had a running arguement about weather a certain shirt that made the fog was Off Topic or not, and this shirt was the one she used as her proof that I didn't know what the Topic was.

Also, I love the shirt, but always thought the Comet-Die should have been a 1, not a 20.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
collinvh wrote:Um.... "Honorable Mentions from Derby #277 all the way up to #239" woot? Also, this wasn't supposed to be until next week. Right?

It's a typo. Should be #229 through #239 inclusive (so 11 weeks of entries). That's fairly standard timing. Other times it's been off a week because of a bag derby or other event they might not want to include.

#corrections

dracokitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dracokitty

Yay I have one ^_^

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
rockymike wrote:I'm pumped for this one. So many shirts that I've wanted that have just missed the mark. I see a few of them above.

I'm quite excited about the possibilities!

I'm just hanging out, really.

firefrogh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages firefrogh

I have three in this derby:

Alien Abduction

Post-Rampage Stomach Ache

Not Like the Other...

cuzwhynot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cuzwhynot

So excited! My first time participating in a Double-Take!

I'm looking forward to seeing all the greats from the last few weeks....good luck to all!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
artulo wrote:It's a typo. Should be #229 through #239 inclusive (so 11 weeks of entries). That's fairly standard timing. Other times it's been off a week because of a bag derby or other event they might not want to include.

#corrections

Thanks for the noticing, both of you. I've let the proper folks know.

I'm just hanging out, really.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Head start for Derby #242:

One Word

One word, one color. Your word has to be made up of art, no fonts. So basically objects, animals, whatever, organized in such a way as to form a single word.

tgentry

Staff

artulo wrote:It's a typo. Should be #229 through #239 inclusive (so 11 weeks of entries). That's fairly standard timing. Other times it's been off a week because of a bag derby or other event they might not want to include.

#corrections

Yeah, sorry guys. A typo on my part. By my math it should include #227(Sci-Fi Kawaii) through #239(The Year You Were Born Redux). If you spot an error with that, please let me know so we can catch it before the DT derby goes up.

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
tgentry wrote:Head start for Derby #242:

One Word

One word, one color. Your word has to be made up of art, no fonts. So basically objects, animals, whatever, organized in such a way as to form a single word.

Thank you!

Nothing follows.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

One Word

Awesome!!!!! Thanks, Travis! :D

bluejester

quality posts: 556 Private Messages bluejester

One Word

Pop Culture allowed or no? Although, I have to imagine that trying to form the word Mario or Mushroom, for example, wouldn't tread to close the copyright infringement--I'm wondering if it is allowed.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

One Word

Awesome theme! Can't wait...

Still, we need to know the rules.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

I've got a few here:

tgentry

Staff

bluejester wrote:Pop Culture allowed or no? Although, I have to imagine that trying to form the word Mario or Mushroom, for example, wouldn't tread to close the copyright infringement--I'm wondering if it is allowed.

Pop culture is allowed, but tread lightly with the word part of it. If you're going to work in a reference, I would recommend doing it with art, with normal copyright rules applied. Using show/movie/game/character titles as your word is playing with rejection fire. Obviously it's ultimately up to the discretion of whoever is moderating the derby that week (this is definitely not always me, so keep that in mind when emailing to complain/plead your case).

unionboggle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unionboggle

One Word

yeah, thanks for posting this!!

"taste the beast"

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

One Word

Very Cool

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

One Word

Awesome theme Travis. Just hoping I'll have time to get something in....and an idea worth subbing.

tgentry

Staff

omarfeliciano wrote:Awesome theme! Can't wait...

Still, we need to know the rules.

The rules are you can use just one color of your choosing. Your design must be a single word and that word must be made up of art, no fonts allowed. Pop-culture is allowed, but normal copyright rules apply.

SirLancelittle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SirLancelittle
Spiritgreen wrote:::Phweeee!::

This is one of my favorite woot designs of all time. It is extremely important that this shirt wins. Go Spiritgreen go!

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

One Word

So does this mean only one spot color allowed? Could make for some drab looking designs...

Just wanted to be sure before starting.

ED: Nevermind! I see the answer

artgirl929

quality posts: 1 Private Messages artgirl929
firefrogh wrote:
Post-Rampage Stomach Ache

Not Like the Other...

I'm a HUGE sucker for Dinosaurs and Monsters... I wanted both of these to print. GMV this time too

tgentry

Staff

tjschaeffer wrote:So does this mean only one spot color allowed? Could make for some drab looking designs...

Just wanted to be sure before starting.

Yes, one spot color. I think one color designs can be hugely impactful! I'm really excited to see what comes out of this one. Good luck!

artulo

Redacted.

Looks like I misunderstood the rules

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
tgentry wrote:Yes, one spot color. I think one color designs can be hugely impactful! I'm really excited to see what comes out of this one. Good luck!

As I think about it, there are many artists here who will be able to create some really nice looking designs with this concept.

Hmmm...I'll do some bright yellow on white!

Maybe I should go study up on color theory.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I'm thinking that "COEXIST" (and its variants) is the prime example of this theme.

move along

artulo

j5 wrote:I'm thinking that "COEXIST" (and its variants) is the prime example of this theme.

So, basically Derby #63 Art as Text with a 1-color limit.

Dolemite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dolemite
tgentry wrote:Yes, one spot color. I think one color designs can be hugely impactful! I'm really excited to see what comes out of this one. Good luck!

Agreed. Not every shirt has to be a master class on halftone gradients.

annewaterman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages annewaterman

Darth Kitty, Darth Kitty, Darth Kitty!!!!!!!

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

Can we use non-English words?