GwenMarie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GwenMarie

Ok, I'm a sucker for all thing pirate already, but this shirt is really cute! Can't wait to get it and wear it!

My woots: Screaming Monkey, Random Crap, Sandisk Sansa View 8GB
Shirt woots: Now Let Me Get This Straight, Happy Birthday to Us, Hungry Bento, Jimmy... Is That You?, Tuesday is Gonna be Rough, Friends are Forever, Donut Panic!, Random Shirt, Ghosties, You are a Pirate!, Pirate Exercise, Random Shirt, PAINata, Cake or Pi?, Nevermore

PocketBrain

quality posts: 39 Private Messages PocketBrain

After
Booty: Loot it should say
Wench: Booty.

just sayin

Woot Stats
Woots/Qty total: 420 duuude
Notable woot events:
  • Sonic Trivia Quiz 1 runner-up. I got Bupkus!
  • Nov. 17 '06: Bought out Kensington PocketMouse Wireless USB Mouse
Barrels of Cheddar obtained:
  • 11/17/06: 1st
  • 12/25/07, 2nd
  • 7/12/08 3rd (1st "want three.")
  • 12/25/08 4th
  • 05/15/09 5th
  • 9/25/09 6th
  • 2/25/10 7TH
  • 4/28/10 8th
  • 7/12/10 9th (BBOC wootlites)
  • 8/20/10 10th
  • 9/22/10 11th
  • 9/14/11 12th
  • 12/25/11 13th
  • 3/22/12 14th

jayveezed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayveezed

Great design, whacking gert congrats. I'm from Bristol, where Black Beard is thought to have been born, so consider this thoroughly endorsed in my native pirate-y accent ie. endorrrrsed.

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
PocketBrain wrote:After
Booty: Loot it should say
Wench: Booty.

Came on to post exactly that. Missed by an hour.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

mkdr

quality posts: 35 Private Messages mkdr

I love this shirt both for Talk Like a Pirate Day and to wear out on the boat during the summer. I agree that I'd prefer a different color than black for summer days out on the ocean, but it looks so good that way I'll suffer through!

Thanks for the totally awesome shirt. I'm working hard on adding to my obscure seafaring reference garb for the fishing trips. This will make an excellent addition!

forever fighting the urge to buy something just because it is cheap and cool...wait, it's cheap and cool, let me click that big yellow button!

darkmagician1184

quality posts: 8 Private Messages darkmagician1184
'sup?

kills the shirt

seahokedrama

quality posts: 30 Private Messages seahokedrama

Can someone explain how "Aye" means "Word"? That translation makes no sense whatsoever.

venikins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages venikins

Absolutely LOVE it and bought it in less than 8 seconds of looking at it. Loving the pirate them Woot! Keep them coming! ^_~

Ordinarily insane, but has had lucid moments of stupidity

Teletheus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Teletheus
chrisprender wrote:I'd posit that most of the translated words and phrases are more *American* than *English*, actually.

By Jove, he's right! Somebody get out the American-English dictionary! (Not that there are really any English pirates anyway, so it's sort of a moot point.)

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

Nice print FB5!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
pinothyj wrote:Yes. It always has been Shiver My Timbers all the way from Treasure Island all the way back when that was penned. Shiver ME Timbers is incorrect and always has been incorrect. The only time it would ever BE correct is in old English where the word 'my' was pronounced like 'me' is today and so was misheard by modern (at least of the times) as the latter and inappropriate of the two.

It is a shame to now see it in print…

Think of it as the phonetic spelling.

move along

rogue8402

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rogue8402
seahokedrama wrote:Can someone explain how "Aye" means "Word"? That translation makes no sense whatsoever.

For this you have to know slang in the 90's.
I still know people who say this.

From Urban Dictionary:

Word-
1) well said
2)said in agreement
3) can be used as a greeting, hey whats up

seahokedrama

Teletheus wrote:By Jove, he's right! Somebody get out the American-English dictionary! (Not that there are really any English pirates anyway, so it's sort of a moot point.)

You're kidding right- there were plenty of British (not just English) pirates... almost all the ones speaking English would have been British.

Ever hear of Blackbeard? William Kidd? Henry Morgan? Sir Francis Drake?

Most of the ones famous in the Americas were British.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 39 Private Messages PocketBrain
Teletheus wrote:By Jove, he's right! Somebody get out the American-English dictionary! (Not that there are really any English pirates anyway, so it's sort of a moot point.)

Privateers were just pirates hired by the King.

Woot Stats
Woots/Qty total: 420 duuude
Notable woot events:
  • Sonic Trivia Quiz 1 runner-up. I got Bupkus!
  • Nov. 17 '06: Bought out Kensington PocketMouse Wireless USB Mouse
Barrels of Cheddar obtained:
  • 11/17/06: 1st
  • 12/25/07, 2nd
  • 7/12/08 3rd (1st "want three.")
  • 12/25/08 4th
  • 05/15/09 5th
  • 9/25/09 6th
  • 2/25/10 7TH
  • 4/28/10 8th
  • 7/12/10 9th (BBOC wootlites)
  • 8/20/10 10th
  • 9/22/10 11th
  • 9/14/11 12th
  • 12/25/11 13th
  • 3/22/12 14th

seahokedrama

pinothyj wrote:Yes. It always has been Shiver My Timbers all the way from Treasure Island all the way back when that was penned. Shiver ME Timbers is incorrect and always has been incorrect. The only time it would ever BE correct is in old English where the word 'my' was pronounced like 'me' is today and so was misheard by modern (at least of the times) as the latter and inappropriate of the two.

Aye- and whilst we're talking of old English. All those people that use the word "Ye" to mean "The" are using it incorrect.

You know- as in "Ye Olde Tavern".

The "Y" in Ye is not a "Y" but a thorn. A letter nolonger used in English... and doesn't really look that much like a Y either.

Incidentally the thorn letter was pronounced "Th" so "Ye Olde Tavern" spelt incorrectly with a Y would have been pronounced "The Olde Tavern".

People stop using "Ye" to mean "The" - at no time in the history of the English language did "Ye" mean "The".

/ rant over

seahokedrama

PocketBrain wrote:Privateers were just pirates hired by the King.

Technically most were only "technically pirates
during peace time- they were treated as war vessels during declared periods of war.

Of course- the person getting attacked always considered them pirates.

Most pirates were essentially an ancient form of economic warfare. Disrupt the trade of the enemy.

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness
Travinapple wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought for sure this shirt would be cancelled due to the " absolutely no text" rule.

Correction, matey! The derby was "no text only" meaning text was allowed but a graphical element also needed to be included.

stuntdriver

quality posts: 9 Private Messages stuntdriver

WOW! I just got tracking info for my Just a Random 3-Pack that I ordered on 02/20/2012. It shows that information has been received on 02/29/2012.

When I seen the email I thought it was for my Centon shipment. Almost forgot about this one, anyone else experience such a delay?

• in-your-crapday-suit 7/12/12
  • Basket of Cranberries 4/26/12
  • Basket of Cranberries 3/22/12
  • Basket of Cranberries 6/15/11
  • Random Crap (Level 8) 4/1/11
  • Random Crap (Level 2) 4/1/11
  • Random Crap 10/21/10
  • Random Crap 9/22/10
  • Random Crap 8/20/10
  • Adventure Crap 4/1/10
  • Random Crap 1/28/10
  • Santa’s Sack O’ Crap 12/25/09
  • Random Crap 12/25/08
  • Random Crap 6/20/08
  • Random Crap 4/1/08
  • Sansa e250 11/5/07 (The one that started it all!)

Scoutmb9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Scoutmb9

This wasn't black when I voted for it! When/why was the color changed to black?

pureval

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pureval

And now I am going to have the opening of Muppet Treasure Island stuck in my head all day long.

It puts the crap inside the bag or it gets the hose again.

kerrykazan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kerrykazan

Its International Talk Like A Pirate Day. September 19, 2012.

ncginger2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ncginger2000
seahokedrama wrote:Can someone explain how "Aye" means "Word"? That translation makes no sense whatsoever.

I think they mean "Word" as it was commonly used (is it still?) as a term of agreement, like "Word up". Agreement with what is being said, which does match with "Aye" as "Yes".

lisonallie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lisonallie

hi! before I buy one, are the women's sizes with the new shirts or the old shirts?

Kuragari

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Kuragari

This shirt is incredibly half-ARRRRSED.
Woot is flailing while failing. What's next, toxic ink to go on the ill fitting non american made shirts?

emulloon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages emulloon

Ugh. This shirt? Seriously? "'sup?" "Word"? Just awful.

kevlar51

quality posts: 42 Private Messages kevlar51

Congrats fishbiscuit5!!!

Jwjenkins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jwjenkins

cool, I can wear this on Talk Like Pirate Day September 19th!

vladistov

quality posts: 49 Private Messages vladistov
Scoutmb9 wrote:This wasn't black when I voted for it! When/why was the color changed to black?

I'm going to stay out of this one.

ThugNatty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ThugNatty
emulloon wrote:Ugh. This shirt? Seriously? "'sup?" "Word"? Just awful.

I know, yeah? Certainly? Most likely? "Knock"? "Cash"? "It"? Simply disgusting. Abhorrent. Putrescent. Uh, nascent. Stymy! Coalesce!

Yeah, haha! We showed him! I bet he'll think twice before submitting his ideas for public critique and other people liking them!

lisonallie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lisonallie

are the women sizes on the new shirts or old shirts?

alatariel113

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alatariel113

I wish this was on the back of the shirt. Being female its a little harder to wear shirts with this much text on the front =/ awesome shirt though!!!!

vladistov

alatariel113 wrote:I wish this was on the back of the shirt. Being female its a little harder to wear shirts with this much text on the front =/ awesome shirt though!!!!

If you do buy it, please don't slap any men unless their eyes fail to continue down the page. Well, I suppose you might have to slap them anyway.

flyman51

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flyman51
ckeilah wrote:What's with all the BLACK shirts?? Don't you people realize that SUMMER is upon us? Unless you are a vampire, black must be banished until late November! It's too damn hot!

it's 20 F here...sure there hasn't been much snow in the midwest but black still works and The MN Science Museum has a great pirate exhibit.
Rum, Sodomy and the Lash...(not my words,,,Maybe Winston C.)

vladistov

Regarding the simplicity of the shirt: I'd like to say I'm glad to see silkscreen-worthy art. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate the talent of the more enthusiastic designers I've seen here; but I for one don't care to have my front-side look like the inside of the Sistine Chapel.

azdarkknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages azdarkknight
pinothyj wrote:/snip

I find it interesting that you pick on the phrase "Shiver Me Timbers" when - The use of "me" instead of "my", which is common to many British regional accents, is commonly known.

Yet you choose to let slide 'sup, word or cash money.

graywh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages graywh
stuntdriver wrote:WOW! I just got tracking info for my Just a Random 3-Pack that I ordered on 02/20/2012. It shows that information has been received on 02/29/2012.

When I seen the email I thought it was for my Centon shipment. Almost forgot about this one, anyone else experience such a delay?

Perfectly normal since they said they wouldn't ship until Feb 29.

joshfuiava

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joshfuiava
stuntdriver wrote:WOW! I just got tracking info for my Just a Random 3-Pack that I ordered on 02/20/2012. It shows that information has been received on 02/29/2012.

I bought a shirt that was shipped on 2/22 according to woot. I believe the shirt got to my door before FedEx tracking said it left Texas.

jaferson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jaferson

The translation on this shirt is horrible. Why would you use 'Sup...

Bounty of Candy
Speed to First Woot:0m 23.115s
First Sucker:jaferson

kittysoup

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kittysoup

Aye means "I agree" in the "yes" -type way.

Word is short for "Word is born", which means "truth was spoken" which means, "I agree".

So someone makes a statement that is true/you agree with. You answer with "word". Or "Aye."

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 503 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lisonallie wrote:are the women sizes on the new shirts or old shirts?

From the first post in the thread....

ThunderThighs wrote:*************************
BLANK INFORMATION

MENS = ANVIL

WOMENS = AA

KIDS = AA