pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
j5 wrote:Let me Google that for you.

Oh, ok here:
Wikiti Whack

Thanks so much, but I like talking to Mayvn. Because she cooks so much she sometimes gives me other pointers.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Mavyn wrote:Depends on what it is for. For dressings, I would not substitute, since the oil is a major flavor component. For frying, probably fine to swap, just watch the temperature.

Yes, much higher. It cooks pretty much the same in things, just not in the pan. Have to fry cooler, so it can end up making things over done on tgd outside, or less crispy.

Major flaw of mine, since I tend to use it when I really should use peanut or canola.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

pooflady

Mavyn wrote:Yes, much higher. It cooks pretty much the same in things, just not in the pan. Have to fry cooler, so it can end up making things over done on tgd outside, or less crispy.

Major flaw of mine, since I tend to use it when I really should use peanut or canola.

I tend to use too high of heat. "Get 'er done"

pooflady

Anybody? I have this bar across the top of Woot that says:

"To help protect your security, IE blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options."

Why would Woot download something on my computer? And should I let it?

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
pooflady wrote:Anybody? I have this bar across the top of Woot that says:

"To help protect your security, IE blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options."

Why would Woot download something on my computer? And should I let it?

Unless you tried to download something, it shouldn't. Don't let it.

move along

pooflady

j5 wrote:Unless you tried to download something, it shouldn't. Don't let it.

Thanks, I won't. But what could you download on Woot?

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
pooflady wrote:Thanks, I won't. But what could you download on Woot?

woot wouldn't dl stuff, perhaps you have a virus or something?

Still single, can't imagine why.

pooflady

FenStar wrote:woot wouldn't dl stuff, perhaps you have a virus or something?

Wouldn't surprise me, but the chances of my finding it are slim to none.

pooflady

Night all. Tomorrow.

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
dontwantaname wrote:You already read it.

But I wanna know what it was!

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
FenStar wrote:woot wouldn't dl stuff, perhaps you have a virus or something?

Just before the woot-off or was it during? Woot kept triggering my virus scanner. It happens, just be glad you have something catching it.

Yes, GMan, Ver1 needs to do her own project, but she also needs a photographer and supervision.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

jqubed

KtCallista wrote:Got in free to the science center because I knew it was pi day and I could say pi out to 10 digits (after that they bumped it to 50 so I was lucky - I can't get that far without a cheat sheet).

That's kind of like wrecking a curve! Way to go!

Skye — 1997-2007

KtCallista

jqubed wrote:That's kind of like wrecking a curve! Way to go!

True! It wasn't crowded the local schools aren't on spring break. Best time to go is when no one else is there!

jqubed

KtCallista wrote:True! It wasn't crowded the local schools aren't on spring break. Best time to go is when no one else is there!

Definitely! Fun for the kids, too?

Skye — 1997-2007

KtCallista

jqubed wrote:Definitely! Fun for the kids, too?

Yes. The littlest got a bit bored, but he really liked when he could grab toys (they had a play market and a vet clinic with stuffed animals - those were his favorites). We had my parents with so there were more adults than kids so all the adults got to play too. The oldest had the best time, she did every single thing! We were all worn out when we left.

jqubed

KtCallista wrote:Yes. The littlest got a bit bored, but he really liked when he could grab toys (they had a play market and a vet clinic with stuffed animals - those were his favorites). We had my parents with so there were more adults than kids so all the adults got to play too. The oldest had the best time, she did every single thing! We were all worn out when we left.

Sounds like a good day!

Skye — 1997-2007

KtCallista

jqubed wrote:Sounds like a good day!

Yup. We kicked back today. Tomorrow will be semi-busy, then we have to go home. Next Monday resumes normal life. Oh if only it weren't so...

jqubed

KtCallista wrote:Yup. We kicked back today. Tomorrow will be semi-busy, then we have to go home. Next Monday resumes normal life. Oh if only it weren't so...

How is normal life? I think last time I was around you were working a gov't contract from your house, that had a possibility to extend to full time. Did that work out?

Skye — 1997-2007

KtCallista

jqubed wrote:How is normal life? I think last time I was around you were working a gov't contract from your house, that had a possibility to extend to full time. Did that work out?

No full time. Grant has ended, transferred grant, still working. I'm now partially funded by Cornell University and adding some of their research to the web interface. My boss's boss got promoted out of the department and my boss is now doing both jobs. We are working on getting a stable build with the new material and selling off the project. Then I'll be looking for work again.

Orc was working for Snakehead Games, but they recently cut back his hours so he is looking for more work and still doing some limited stuff for them, mostly forum moderating and game design. (They have two browser games and a game on Facebook that was largely Orc's project). He has an interview at the other University for a part-time thing when we get home. We are also looking at the possibility of moving, but I'm nervous about finding a good school for Ver1 and Ver2. Orc wants a job where he can be creative and work in a technical field, that doesn't mind that he is deaf - which is why it's been so hard for him to find IT work, they all get really impatient with his inability to use the phone and to hear when people talk behind him. He can hear face to face, but people need to be considerate and repeat occasionally.

Ver1 is so far ahead of grade level in her core subjects, it's a little scary. Moving her to a new school would be a big deal. Where she is she has teachers and Americorp to give her private lessons to keep her progressing. Ver2 is about to start kindergarten and is showing the same potential.

Tonight/tomorrow Orc is submitting a board game design to a contest. If it places in the top three we'll be begging for votes We've been working on it for 2 weeks and it's really scary how fast it all came together.

Ver1's school also hired me part-time to manage the lunch room and I'm in charge of the facebook page.

jqubed

KtCallista wrote:No full time. Grant has ended, transferred grant, still working. I'm now partially funded by Cornell University and adding some of their research to the web interface. My boss's boss got promoted out of the department and my boss is now doing both jobs. We are working on getting a stable build with the new material and selling off the project. Then I'll be looking for work again.

Orc was working for Snakehead Games, but they recently cut back his hours so he is looking for more work and still doing some limited stuff for them, mostly forum moderating and game design. (They have two browser games and a game on Facebook that was largely Orc's project). He has an interview at the other University for a part-time thing when we get home. We are also looking at the possibility of moving, but I'm nervous about finding a good school for Ver1 and Ver2. Orc wants a job where he can be creative and work in a technical field, that doesn't mind that he is deaf - which is why it's been so hard for him to find IT work, they all get really impatient with his inability to use the phone and to hear when people talk behind him. He can hear face to face, but people need to be considerate and repeat occasionally.

Ver1 is so far ahead of grade level in her core subjects, it's a little scary. Moving her to a new school would be a big deal. Where she is she has teachers and Americorp to give her private lessons to keep her progressing. Ver2 is about to start kindergarten and is showing the same potential.

Tonight/tomorrow Orc is submitting a board game design to a contest. If it places in the top three we'll be begging for votes We've been working on it for 2 weeks and it's really scary how fast it all came together.

Ver1's school also hired me part-time to manage the lunch room and I'm in charge of the facebook page.

Too bad about the grant; hopefully something else comes along quickly!
I didn't know Orc was deaf (guess it doesn't matter on a forum!), has he been deaf as long as y'all have been on here or is it a recent thing?
Is the board game something he could submit to publishers even if the contest doesn't work out?
Ver1's school lunch room has a facebook page? Sounds fancy!
Congratulations about her doing well, though. In moving would you be trying to stay reasonably close to grandparents? I'm sure there are good schools all around the country, but perhaps in some areas more than in others if it's relatively rural (as I've assumed you are since you only get a PBS channel and the network affiliates can't be bothered to cover it).

Skye — 1997-2007

KtCallista

jqubed wrote:Too bad about the grant; hopefully something else comes along quickly!
I didn't know Orc was deaf (guess it doesn't matter on a forum!), has he been deaf as long as y'all have been on here or is it a recent thing?
Is the board game something he could submit to publishers even if the contest doesn't work out?
Ver1's school lunch room has a facebook page? Sounds fancy!
Congratulations about her doing well, though. In moving would you be trying to stay reasonably close to grandparents? I'm sure there are good schools all around the country, but perhaps in some areas more than in others if it's relatively rural (as I've assumed you are since you only get a PBS channel and the network affiliates can't be bothered to cover it).

Orc has most likely been deaf all his life. It has gotten worse. He has a blog about it.

Facebook page for the school. There are only 144 students in K-6. It's a charter school. We don't live anywhere near grandparents now (we are 300 miles from my parents, but visiting them now). We like living in a University town, but we are open to other options. We are rural, but we also have hills.... hills and mountains are brutal for transmissions.

jqubed

KtCallista wrote:Orc has most likely been deaf all his life. It has gotten worse. He has a blog about it.

Facebook page for the school. There are only 144 students in K-6. It's a charter school. We don't live anywhere near grandparents now (we are 300 miles from my parents, but visiting them now). We like living in a University town, but we are open to other options. We are rural, but we also have hills.... hills and mountains are brutal for transmissions.

That was a nice blog post to get introduced on!
That's a really small school! I did private or magnet school most of my school career, and I still don't think I had less than 60 kids in a grade level. The good news is charter schools seem to be catching on in a lot of places, though probably not as small as yours.

Skye — 1997-2007

KtCallista

jqubed wrote:That was a nice blog post to get introduced on!
That's a really small school! I did private or magnet school most of my school career, and I still don't think I had less than 60 kids in a grade level. The good news is charter schools seem to be catching on in a lot of places, though probably not as small as yours.

Ours has 1 class per grade, with one exception class that is a bubble of 2 classes. We have a very small building. It works well though. The older kids help the little kids get started reading and there is a lot of cross-grade play on the playground. Kids are also bumped or held back by subject matter so kids that are ahead can (if there is room) move to a different grade for reading or math. Ver1 would be in 3rd grade for math, but there isn't room. For reading... well the junior high councilor is keeping an eye on her progress.

The other local charter school does 2 grade classes where the kids are together for 1/2 and 3/4. I think that's pretty cool too, because the kids that are more ahead get what they need and the kids that are more behind don't feel behind.

jqubed

KtCallista wrote:Ours has 1 class per grade, with one exception class that is a bubble of 2 classes. We have a very small building. It works well though. The older kids help the little kids get started reading and there is a lot of cross-grade play on the playground. Kids are also bumped or held back by subject matter so kids that are ahead can (if there is room) move to a different grade for reading or math. Ver1 would be in 3rd grade for math, but there isn't room. For reading... well the junior high councilor is keeping an eye on her progress.

As much as you and Orc seem to enjoy reading, it isn't a surprise to me that your kids are doing well at reading also.

Skye — 1997-2007

KtCallista

jqubed wrote:As much as you and Orc seem to enjoy reading, it isn't a surprise to me that your kids are doing well at reading also.

You should read his post about captions as well. Yeah, we all read. My Mom is a big reader too. We read a lot with the kids. My daughter's teacher says at the 1st grade level he can tell which kids were read to regularly and which weren't.

Raining

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raining

Good Morning Gman
Good Morning Czar
Good Morning Gatzby
Good Morning Cruzer
Good Morning GEG
Good Morning Suarez
Good Morning mwiseman
Good Morning PBL
Good Morning Josephus
Good Morning STLW
Good Morning KT
Good Morning Don't
Good Morning Lynn
Good Morning Mavyn
Good Morning klozitshope
Good Morning no1
Good Morning Ice
Good Morning Ace
Good Morning Poof
Good Morning Callista
Good Morning Orc
Good Morning kdcrosby
Good Morning jqubed
Good Morning Zea3
Good Morning gwp
Good Morning Turken
Good Morning dougall
Good Morning j5
Good Morning inkycatz
Good Morning Fen
Good Morning joyner
Good Morning ThunderThighs
Good Morning lplady
Good Morning holmes dog
Good Morning tennbeekeeper
Good Morning baby bee
Good Morning Ken
Good Morning Aras
Good Morning to everyone else

jqubed

KtCallista wrote:You should read his post about captions as well. Yeah, we all read. My Mom is a big reader too. We read a lot with the kids. My daughter's teacher says at the 1st grade level he can tell which kids were read to regularly and which weren't.

That was interesting; I'll leave a comment on that one.

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

jqubed wrote:That was interesting; I'll leave a comment on that one.

One of my captcha words was "bypolly"... would that be "bipolar" from a small child?

Skye — 1997-2007

KtCallista

jqubed wrote:One of my captcha words was "bypolly"... would that be "bipolar" from a small child?

LOL!

Yeah he just told me you left a comment.

Morning Raining.

jqubed

Raining wrote:Good Morning jqubed

Good Morning Raining

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

And I'm fading fast now; goodnight everybody!

Skye — 1997-2007

KtCallista

jqubed wrote:And I'm fading fast now; goodnight everybody!

Goodnight j3. It was good catching up again. I hope you'll still be around when I get home next week.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Good morning everybody! I can't sleep. I've been awake since 2:30.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
joyner wrote:Good morning everybody! I can't sleep. I've been awake since 2:30.

Good morning all.

In the end only kindness matters

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Mornin', folks.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

Mavyn

Morning! Happy Friday.

Launch was scrubbed Wednesday, rescheduled for tonight. Same time, I think.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
jqubed wrote:But I wanna know what it was!

After my "D'name madlibs" post, she said "and here I was happy to see you back"
Whereupon someone (klozit?) said: He never left
Then N01 said: "That was J3"
Then she posted that she felt dumb for mixing up her "Js" and would erase history after some ice cream. (which you saw in N01's quote block)
Then she did (erase history and have ice cream), and for a moment everything ceased to exist, but then reformed as the probability wave collapsed upon pooflady's query about the lubricating properties of Olive oil vs. Canola oil, which got changed in a quantum fluctuation to something about smoke and salad.
or something like that.

move along

Mavyn

I think thst happened to my training class too. Well, the collapsing bit, nothing with salads.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner
KtCallista wrote:You should read his post about captions as well. Yeah, we all read. My Mom is a big reader too. We read a lot with the kids. My daughter's teacher says at the 1st grade level he can tell which kids were read to regularly and which weren't.

I saw big difference in kids that were read to vs those that weren't in their listening skills. Kids have to learn to listen. I think that is as important as any increase in early reading skills. //gets off soapbox

Once a librarian always a librarian.

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
Mavyn wrote:Yes, much higher. It cooks pretty much the same in things, just not in the pan. Have to fry cooler, so it can end up making things over done on tgd outside, or less crispy.

adding another form of fat to the olive oil will also raise the smoking point as well.

personally I prefer butter or ghee for flavor reasons.