woody25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woody25
Re: Scientifically Delicious!

Great entry, good luck! This is the kind of witty art I love Woot for.

bobcrenshaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobcrenshaw
Re: 1337

Is the binary in ascii code... and if so, what does it say?

bobcrenshaw

Re: Magic

I absolutely LOVE this shirt!!!

bobcrenshaw

llewaeya wrote:I think this would be so much better if it said "Run!" But, that's just me. Nice design.

Me too!

donaldhansen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donaldhansen
rizaroni wrote:Looks like more than one color. But I like it!

I thought it was borderline. I did it in grayscale so it has some diff shades. Saw other shirts that looked like they were "one color" but had shades of that color so I figured I would post and see what happens.

lalouque

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lalouque
ApeLad wrote:Just a clarification: this isn't a mask slapped on a crowd drawing. The letters are part of the original idea:

brains on paper by Ape Lad, on Flickr

I don't know that this says anything to the point you were trying to make, but I thought it might be interesting to point out.
Also: as a regular derby entrant, I really appreciate the vagueness of the rules. It makes things interesting.
Thanks for commenting!

OK gentlemen...
We're at an impasse, maybe we should compromise.
(sorry, had to say it!)

bethany3cat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bethany3cat
j5 wrote:some points and pointers:
1. heather gray is not a color offered by woot, but this looks like silver anyway.
2. It's a bit off topic, since it's not composed of artistic elements, just drawn out.
3. Maybe update your signature to include links to your entries. This way people can click and see/vote.

Cheers!

Hey, it's my buddy critic, j5!

I really value your opinion and appreciate your taking the time to give it.

To address your points:

I pulled the heather off a Woot-posted template from the artists' resources so I'm a little confused, but silver would be just fine.

[Woops, I followed that useful thread down to the bottom, and found this -- maybe we can get the staff to edit at the top so no other junior wannabes like me make this same mistake. Seems that they used heather gray in 2008, but times change.]

grisca wrote:Remember that there was a change in the available official t-shirt-colours (off the top of my head: no heather grey and orange any more, and silver and slate instead).

Okay, Silver it is! Not that it will be printed, so meh!

Your second point was that it was off topic since it was just drawn out ...I guess I don't understand the rules, [And here I thought other people weren't following them.] or I'm doing a poor job communicating my idea through the picture, or both. The illustration is supposed to show an incomplete stencil of sorts that the word "meh" would have been in, but the painters didn't give a flip so they just freehanded it.

If this is off topic, then all three ideas are, unfortunately. But despite that, I am learning from the experience and the critiques.

Finally, I would like to figure out how to get the Sig line right, but when I just put a link to the thumbnail, it folds and needs to be scrolled, which led to a staffer pm'ing me and asking me to fix it. So I just went in, combined the three thumbnails and sized them down, but they are stored together, which means I can't link up to them individually.

If you feel like critiquing my other two [and I would so appreciate that because I'm not here to win, I'm here to learn -- getting a hundred votes is my next high water mark], here are links to my other two t-shirt designs in this derby:

[list]

• Nom, the Abridged Version
  • T-shirt Fail, an epic Fall
  • I planned something fancier, but 'Meh'

Thanks bunches, and remember I like constructive criticism -- I'll just keep constructing it the same way if no one tells me what isn't working and what is. Muchas gracias!
  • goneferal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages goneferal
    Re: Curiosity

Was he trying to cross the road? Was he following a chicken? I love cats, but I'm gonna vote for this anyway because after 4 or 5 times that kitty should have learned his lesson.

And I like how the cops are taking his death so seriously.

threyon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages threyon
    supermegatopia wrote:It’s an uplifting message! Even in death, one can still be active and rise to the top!

Nice! Also, great to see you on shirt.woot finally!

walmazan

quality posts: 63 Private Messages walmazan
    Re: Nostalgia

Amazing!

filbie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages filbie
    Re: Fungi

I LOVE this shirt. I've been pretty underwhelmed by most of the derbies lately but this entry is stunning.
    I really hope it prints! GMV!

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
    Re: aaaahhhhh!!

My first thought was that was an "i" falling down. It works either way.

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
    Re: Curiosity

This shirt is very clever & extremely well done. It makes me wish I weren't feeling so overdosed on Woot cat shirts & asphalt shirts because it deserves to print.

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
    Re: Nachos

Cute idea & I love nachos, but I think this would be better on a different shirt color or a different palette. Brown & grayscale don't convey their deliciousness.

joemail11

quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
    Re: Scientifically Delicious!

Cobalt in my cookies? :O

ROGUECMR

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ROGUECMR

This shirt gives me the sudden urge to hire the Golden Company and sail for Westeros.

ramyb wrote:War is coming!

Anyway, this design represents 7 sigils of 7 houses from Game of Thrones- Took a lot of planning to make the symbols believably represent the letters, was glad to have several days to think this one through. Hope you guys enjoy the outcome

Click for larger version

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
    Re: COLLABORATE

Truly Cool! A must print and a must buy!

07/11/14

frogfreak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogfreak
    Re: LIFE

Love it...you've got my vote!

kzlife

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kzlife
    Re: Who's your boss?

Didn't come out as I wanted.. my first entry xP
    A better version will be coming soon

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
    joemail11 wrote:Cobalt in my cookies? :O

Why do you think Cookie Monster's got googlie eyes?

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
    kzlife wrote:Didn't come out as I wanted.. my first entry xP
    A better version will be coming soon

Before you put any more effort into this, I'd advise reviewing the rules for this derby. You're breaking them, and your entry can and may be rejected.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
    Re: It's Getting A Little Muggy

Great idea!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
    donaldhansen wrote:I thought it was borderline. I did it in grayscale so it has some diff shades. Saw other shirts that looked like they were "one color" but had shades of that color so I figured I would post and see what happens.

What you're seeing in other entries that looks like different shades are halftones.

thewronggrape

quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape
    ApeLad wrote:Just a clarification: this isn't a mask slapped on a crowd drawing. The letters are part of the original idea.

Actually, I knew you didn't use a clipping mask because I saw your pre-derby sketches. I just meant the end result in general could be achieved with a clipping mask, albeit with less skill and artistry, instead of using objects oriented in such a way to form art. (I think you know what I mean.) I wasn't targeting this entry specifically, just that this derby has various interpretations and I could see how other artists could get frustrated if they thought they had to do something a specific way, only to see that they could have used a different approach. I'm surprised to see entries made up of letters formed with letters/numbers, but if it's good enough for Woot, it's good enough for me!

osadczuk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osadczuk

Thanks, it was only a matter of time.

threyon wrote:Nice! Also, great to see you on shirt.woot finally!

supermegatopia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supermegatopia

Oops! And that's what happens when you don't see who is logged on.

osadczuk wrote:Thanks, it was only a matter of time.

seaoflanterns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seaoflanterns

I WANT THIS REALLY HARD.

jabascus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jabascus
    Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=61572]I planned something fancier - but,

Critique aside I would wear this once a week until it disintegrated.

kickflip2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kickflip2

LOVE IT!!!!!

freddie437

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freddie437
    craftiness1 wrote:Look closer. There's a slash through the equal sign, thus meaning "I is not equal to on"..That does make a difference

It still does not belong in the denominator of an equation. It doesn't make sense.

alphadogginny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alphadogginny
    Re: LIFE

I hope this wins! I really want it to! This is one of my favorite woot designs I've seen and it's so creative how the life progresses! I'll be so devastated if it doesn't win!

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou
    alphadogginny wrote:I hope this wins! I really want it to! This is one of my favorite woot designs I've seen and it's so creative how the life progresses! I'll be so devastated if it doesn't win!

Thank you! I really appreciate that :D It's going to be difficult, but this weekend we may have a surprise!:D:D

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
    megmouse wrote:By far my favorite shirt! Awesome!

ratherbesleepin wrote:I hope this one does well. Its one I'd actually wear. Good Luck!

Thank you!

chachachino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chachachino
    wesmike wrote:Would have liked it better if it actually said "Cool Hwip"

haha yeah i was tempted to do that instead. but that would have been two hwords. i liked the initial idea too much.

rowanofrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowanofrin
    Re: Fungi

Get in the fog, ya bastard. GET IN THERE

asher0716

quality posts: 1 Private Messages asher0716
    cxl wrote:I love this execution. So simple!

...unfortunately, I'm not sure I have the balls to wear around a shirt that says, "my heart beats for you forever" :/

I'd wear it on dates with my wife. She likes when I wear black, especially with red trim.

Hope it wins!

alphadogginny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alphadogginny
    wirdou wrote:Thank you! I really appreciate that :D It's going to be difficult, but this weekend we may have a surprise!:D:D

If it doesn't submit it somewhere else because I really want it! Haha (But we both know it'll win )

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
    benjaminleebates wrote:Nice shirt, I would have loved to see the stars embedded into the shirt, created the "a" and yet impaling the wearer...

Oooo, that would have been a good idea. I was kind of going for a "weapons laid on a table" look with it.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
    Re: Inner Energy

Where's your t'shirt template?

amandanielsen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amandanielsen

I saw the word within seconds.