zwartepaard

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zwartepaard
Re: Just Vote

Sorry, but this is probably going to get rejected because the thumbnail doesn't match the design. If the shirt color is blue, the thumbnail should be too.

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
Re: Time

yzllo?

Sorry, but there's no way that's readable as time. I don't mean to single this one out because there are way too many unreadable entries but with as clean, simple and iconic as these graphics are they should be readable.

bethany3cat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bethany3cat
j5 wrote:For much signature magic, use the code below:

I see ... I think the secret lies in the (img=100×100) that you slipped in there.

thanks so much! Now I can advertise!

um, good point about the meta-theming. You know, now that I contemplate, I do have a tendency to slip into meta-everything. I'll have to watch myself.

I do appreciate your input, and look forward to more. Any helpful, tidbits on my other two entries? I guess "Fail" qualifies as another "meta-theme" entry. "Nom" was made of cookies, comprised of tiny hand-drawn (not from clip art) chocolate chips! I even resisted the urge to draw ten different chips and then composite them.

I saw your hammock -- I was forced to gamble on Google and learned more than I expected too. Not the t-shirt for me, but often off-color, inside jokes can be very desirable. I suspect you could get a friend to spit his drink if you showed up at a strip club wearing that shirt!

Oh, and nice bananas -- your details were really nice. I know you were half joking, but you executed it well. Nice spacing, good color, spots on the bananas that add the shirt color in to your illustration. I'm sure you're comfortable with your work, and do not really need me to tell you anything, but there's my two cents.

an attempt at quid pro quo. Maybe sometime I can get you to look at my revised Pirate Games for feedback. I would really value your critique, and I think it would help me improve further. Although, ironically, my first entry Feline Orobuoros in the cat!cat!cats! derby is still my most votes (55) to date.

However, I was closer on that one to fulfilling the rules set forth in the j5 (by accident, of course):

[quote="j5"]to the crit, if I had to do a J5 five, it would probably go like this:
1. clean lines
2. simple design
3. pop culture (or popular theme, if pop-cult is barred)
4. whimsicle geekery [sic]
5. animals[/quote]

I continue to benefit from the time you spend giving me feedback ... Thanks, again.

hellok

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hellok
bethany3cat wrote:This looks quite lovely.

Can you post a link to a larger version?

I also suggest that if you can do it fast enough, you should resub with white ink on a dark blue, although gold on light blue or silver might be nice, too.

Unfortunately, from my screen, I don't get enough contrast between you text and your tee to make out your beautiful art. [plus, a lot of Woot buyers do not prefer white tees.]

However, thus really does appear to be great artwork -- I would just love a closer look, and more contrast!

Thank you. Yes, I completely agree with you. I was running short on time so I couldn't resub. I don't know if they are willing or not to change things, because really as long as they make a screen they can use whatever color they want. Also I hand drew this in pencil so I figured it wouldn't hurt in it's natural looking state. I think you have to be able to see some detail to appreciate it so here's a bigger picture.

Become by IwantSomethingOriginal, on Flickr

auntieclo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auntieclo
benjaminleebates wrote:uh, hmm... I'm not sure whether or not to take offence...
While I completely agree with the general sentiment, I completely reject the implication.
Ha-Rumph!

Hey...Its a great design I love the colors! Is it me or does Sir Reginald look like Johnny Depp, in a few more years?

atotom99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atotom99
Re: Read

Nice design, but it seems a lot of the finer details would be lost in printing, even at 16 inches wide (which btw is the maximum width allowed but is usually much less than that). Imagine the "muddled detail" on a smaller woman's or kid's T.

bethany3cat

hellok wrote:Thank you. Yes, I completely agree with you. I was running short on time so I couldn't resub. I don't know if they are willing or not to change things, because really as long as they make a screen they can use whatever color they want. Also I hand drew this in pencil so I figured it wouldn't hurt in it's natural looking state. I think you have to be able to see some detail to appreciate it so here's a bigger picture.

Become by IwantSomethingOriginal, on Flickr

Wow, there is so much more there than I could originally see. I'm so glad you posted this. My eye was adding dragons to your illustration, but now I see it's almost a history of the universe, from the big bang to spaceflight. Very interesting.

I suspect multicolor would benefit you artwork -- the one color ink mandate on this particular derby doesn't really do your spiral galaxy justice. And I would argue that, although you stress that you drew it initially in pencil, it's not necessarily the best medium for this illustration. Try importing it and coloring it, you may love it more --or less -- but you'll definitely know more after experimenting with it. Also, to translate your art to a t-shirt canvas, you will probably have to thicken your lines for them to print. If you prefer hand-drawn, you could make you drawings much larger and sizing them down will add weight to your art.

I don't think the t-shirt will make this round, but I do hope that you submit more. It's lovely work.

Not to undermine my credibility, by the way, but I'm just stating my slightly informed opinion. I'm here seeking guidance on my own work. I have not been printed and I have no art credentials, but I can share my perspective in the hopes that it is useful. Take it with a grain of salt.

HTH

adamant628

quality posts: 8 Private Messages adamant628
greenlightgo722 wrote:I dont see how it is offtopic...

The word is "Pirate", the artist used a pirate map to look like a computer screen, implying an internet pirate...

It makes as much sense as some of the other derby entries!

Perhaps the word was too subtle for the rejectionator. I didn't see it until I read your post.

bltindustries

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bltindustries
Re: YES!!

no

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
grahamcrackercoyote wrote:And before you get in my face, I got the Potter reference right off the bat, too! If you are older, the Bambi reference is gonna be there whether you want it to be or not - call this shirt "Double Weepie".

I realize that plenty of adults read, watch, and enjoy Harry Potter, but I'm not one of them. So yeah, first thing I thought was Bambi's mom getting shot, lol

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: t-shirt Fail

OK, since you asked.
My biggest issue here is the color choices. Creme shirts do very poorly in the derbies (and in sales, for that matter) unless the creme is used as a part of the palette (e.g. to represent parchement, or similar), and even then, the design has to hit on several levels.
Other than that, I don't see cohesion in the composition. What were you trying to represent?

move along

noche

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noche
Re: Abide

This is fantastic, but we all know that the if the Dude made this shirt the I would be a J right?

I digress, GMV.

j5

Re: nom, the abridged version

I think this is fine.
Maybe brown cookies on a blue background might have tied it to C-monster a bit more (if that's what you were going for)
also, if you could have made the Ms out of bite marks too.

pedantic note: the O looks like an oatmeal pie with raisins.
This week's derby has been heavy with submissions, so the field is tough, so don't feel too put out.

HTH

move along

acknaught

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acknaught
noche wrote:This is fantastic, but we all know that the if the Dude made this shirt the I would be a J right?

I digress, GMV.

Agreed. I was actually expecting the I to be a J....

j5

bethany3cat wrote:I continue to benefit from the time you spend giving me feedback ... Thanks, again.

You're too kind, and I may not be the one to give you the proper help, since I'm not really a designer.

I saw your hammock -- I was forced to gamble on Google and learned more than I expected too. Not the t-shirt for me, but often off-color, inside jokes can be very desirable. I suspect you could get a friend to spit his drink if you showed up at a strip club wearing that shirt!

Honestly, the design was a nudge and a wink and I fully expected rejection if not Friday, then at least by Monday. I guess the editors knew it wasn't printing and didn't mind the humor so let it stand? I dunno. Sorry for your Google results.

Oh, and nice bananas -- your details were really nice. I know you were half joking, but you executed it well. Nice spacing, good color, spots on the bananas that add the shirt color in to your illustration. I'm sure you're comfortable with your work, and do not really need me to tell you anything, but there's my two cents.

Thanks for this.

an attempt at quid pro quo. Maybe sometime I can get you to look at my revised Pirate Games for feedback. I would really value your critique, and I think it would help me improve further.

Sure, just PM me.

Although, ironically, my first entry Feline Orobuoros in the cat!cat!cats! derby is still my most votes (55) to date.

better than I've done, so....maybe I need to just shut up.

move along

sudhillon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sudhillon
Re: Pre-War Casualwear

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

roysterer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages roysterer

Why does it have to be so late? I hope this pulls off a miraculous upset and doesn't turn into another skunk detective shirt. (I'm still bitter about that)

jabascus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jabascus
zwartepaard wrote:Sorry, but this is probably going to get rejected because the thumbnail doesn't match the design. If the shirt color is blue, the thumbnail should be too.

Yeah I caught that after the fact and i couldn't resubmit not even 45 minutes later. It's ok - It's still fun.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Re: Fungi

Subtle, yet clear, on topic, and very wearable.
Great combo of attributes.

tangolite132

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tangolite132
adamant628 wrote:Perhaps the word was too subtle for the rejectionator. I didn't see it until I read your post.

Exactly.

"Riddle me this, riddle me that: who's afraid of the big black bat?"

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: Love

Thanks everyone!

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
kickflip2 wrote:LOVE IT!!!!!

thanks!

maryzen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maryzen
bltindustries wrote:no

As far as you can go with your imagination..?
Good luck!

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
Re: Forever

thanks everyone

tangolite132

Re: PINK ELEPHANTS

Cute, but hard to read.

tangolite132

Re: aaaahhhhh!!

Nice, but I fear the rejectinator will get to it. I believe this calls for a "text only design." Sorry, bud.

tangolite132

Re: Goo Ninja Goo Ninja Goo!

I feel so silly because I can't read it. >.<
Also, I despise this word censor. <.<

tangolite132

Re: Steampunk

Oh, dear. I absolutely adore this design, but the rejectinator should be coming soon. I may be the only one who sees it, but this shirt has two ink colors. v.v

bethany3cat

j5 wrote:better than I've done, so....maybe I need to just shut up.

Wherever they are originating, I think your insights have been, well, insightful. Very matter-of-fact and actionable. You've been paying attention and have a useful point of view. I respect that, a lot.

I tried explaining to someone once about my junior high school basketball coach: she couldn't shoot a basket hardly to save her life; however, she stood at the free throw line beside every single member of our team and talked them each through a perfect shot.

the gift of guiding others toward a successful outcome is not the same as doing it yourself, but in some ways it can have a greater impact on the world, almost certainly a more diverse impact by playing muse to multiples.

Keep talking, Bubba!

tangolite132

Re: Curiosity

The rejectinator will kill the cat before curiosity. More than one ink color, even if it's just different shades of gray.

bethany3cat

edit: whoops, double entry.

However, Tangolite, I believe you are mistaken about the use of color in both Curiosity and Steampunk.

If there is additional color in Steampunk, it's just the yellow glow added behind the t-shirt in the comp. Curiosity, on the other hand appears to have multiple shades of gray due to a masterful use of halftones.

Cheers.

aryanchappell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aryanchappell
climb wrote:I'm not TRYING to break all the rules...
Just pushing them a little.
Does one color include Black and White?
Can we have more than one color in the shirt detail (aside from the orange Woot tag)?

Oh... and Baskerville isn't a "fancy" font, is it?

: )

How do you vote????????????

bethany3cat

aryanchappell wrote:How do you vote????????????

You may vote as many times as you like in the derby on Shirt.Woot so long as you have made at least one purchase within the Woot! System.

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape
tangolite132 wrote:The rejectinator will kill the cat before curiosity. More than one ink color, even if it's just different shades of gray.

I think what you're observing as more than one ink color is just expert use of halftones, giving the illusion of different shades and colors. Same thing with your comment on the Steampunk entry.

bethany3cat

j5 wrote:OK, since you asked.
My biggest issue here is the color choices. Creme shirts do very poorly in the derbies (and in sales, for that matter) unless the creme is used as a part of the palette (e.g. to represent parchement, or similar), and even then, the design has to hit on several levels.
Other than that, I don't see cohesion in the composition. What were you trying to represent?

The bit about the color choice is an incredibly useful piece of data. I had noticed in the comments that a lot people will mention they like something, but it's in white, so they will never buy it, but I hadn't noticed a similar bias against creme. Good point about the significance of the color figuring into the design as a counter to the bias.

I guess the concept is a bit obtuse, but the instructions were "your word has to be made of art," which led my imagination to a contemporary art museum. Since I have to put it into words, I'm becoming less and less fond of it. But I guess the letters are individual art installations, and one fell down. The word was composed of art.

More meta-theming, really got to watch myself!

pepeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pepeman
chrslee wrote:How is this only 85th? It's one of the best shirts in the derby!!!

Thanks Dude!! It's Uncanny that it did not get more votes

Emay09

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Emay09
chachachino wrote:haha yeah i was tempted to do that instead. but that would have been two hwords. i liked the initial idea too much.

I want one!

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 150 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
thewronggrape wrote:I think what you're observing as more than one ink color is just expert use of halftones, giving the illusion of different shades and colors. Same thing with your comment on the Steampunk entry.

Sadly at least with this shirt there is still a slight chance that this may not be printable with a single screen. For reference see this rejection from the "Crosshatch" derby: http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=47396

I'm hoping this one will stay since I like it a lot, but I'm not sure. The rejection for the other one was very late so I have no idea if this is safe or not.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 150 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Lol I keep reading this one as ARD or RDA, I think it's that whole right to left reading pattern. I really like the look of it though.

superdooodle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages superdooodle

Ohhh!! It took me a while to get that, but now that i have i love it!!