Sachmoe64


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sachmoe64
odysseyroc wrote:It kind of reminds me of this Crescentdebris design



Nice, I haven't seen this one. There are a lot of similarities. Oh well, i don't think I'm going to even bother posting. I am not very happy with how it turned out and I am way past out of time to work on it. I mark this one off as practice and learning what techniques not to use. Thanks for showing me that.

cptgone


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cptgone


wowza! i don't think that one printed? would deffo vote if it were resubmitted.

Nekkochan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
Sachmoe64 wrote:

What do you guys think?



I think it's very cute. FWIW I had a brief "are those birch logs or newspapers?" moment, not sure if that's a problem or not.

jboshaw


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw
xpenguin wrote:I love the whole concept and all but the numbers are iffy with the no text rule, idk if it'll get rejected =/ - but it's a great design!



no text = no letters, numbers, symbols, etc., that could be found on any keyboard.

wirdou


quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Thank you for the feedback. This is what I've got for now. Thewronggrape I know what you mean, but I just wanted to go literally with the words Hay and Fever so it would be easy to understand. I think it's cute this way too! I will probably draw something else But wanted to show you this one first!

kevlar51


quality posts: 42 Private Messages kevlar51

I've retooled an old daily entry I did. I just call it "Spring"

lakesler


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lakesler
kevlar51 wrote:I've retooled an old daily entry I did. I just call it "Spring"



That is *awesome*. GMV

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
kevlar51 wrote:I've retooled an old daily entry I did. I just call it "Spring"



I was hoping this would come back

move along

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
valorandvellum wrote:Thanks for letting me know! I guess I'll just take the risk and go with the Creme.



Hmm, maybe silver or baby blue? This is a beautiful design and I fear for the fate of creme.

move along

cfdunbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

The first day we had weather above 65 degrees here in Pennsylvania I broke out and cleaned up the Meca of Spring Culinary..... the Grill! So here's to you my cooking buddy! I honor you with this entry....


flemtone


quality posts: 5 Private Messages flemtone
ApeLad wrote:Here's what I'll be submitting:

rude awakening by Ape Lad, on Flickr



This is really good. Once again, great facial expressions - they tell the story without words.

ochopika


quality posts: 24 Private Messages ochopika
cptgone wrote:how intriguing! Gaithersburg, the town no one knows the location of, where people (or is it gators?) wear my fave pullover proudly. i guess it's not in Kansas [anymore]?



Yay! I think you'd have to go a little farther south for gators, though.

@ksnyder: A fellow gaithersburger! mmmm burger...

spacegirlag


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacegirlag
Sachmoe64 wrote:Nice, I haven't seen this one. There are a lot of similarities. Oh well, i don't think I'm going to even bother posting. I am not very happy with how it turned out and I am way past out of time to work on it. I mark this one off as practice and learning what techniques not to use. Thanks for showing me that.



i think you should still submit yours. the designs tell two completely different stories. crescentdebris' bear just turned two egg-throwing bunnies into his slippers. your bear just woke up from hibernation to find a couple month's worth of newspapers on his front lawn. i don't see any similarities, except the bear and the bunny slippers, and those aren't even drawn in the same style.

flemtone


quality posts: 5 Private Messages flemtone
odysseyroc wrote:It kind of reminds me of this Crescentdebris design



This is one of my all-time favorite designs that have come across this site. I was so disappointed it didn't print. If it were subbed, I'd even dare an Anvil shirt. I must have bears-on-the-brain, between this design and Apelad's.

(well, maybe two Anvil shirts...)

Sachmoe64, I like yours as well, but there's just a little too much similarity to CD's bear attire. Great concept and well executed, though. Well played.

cfdunbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
ochopika wrote:Ah DC, my hometown! Well.. I really grew up in Gaithersburg, but no one knows where that is. Glad y'all are having nice weather down there .



Ah! I know Gaithersburg well... I grew up in Frederick. Which has been the hometown of my mother's side of the family since it was a little farming town, and I found myself wandering the halls of Lakeforest Mall on many a day. I still make my way down there on occassion as I am not far away even now. Just over the border in PA.

tjschaeffer


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
Sachmoe64 wrote:Nice, I haven't seen this one. There are a lot of similarities. Oh well, i don't think I'm going to even bother posting. I am not very happy with how it turned out and I am way past out of time to work on it. I mark this one off as practice and learning what techniques not to use. Thanks for showing me that.



In my opinion you should sub your design. I think the differences are significant enough to not be cause for rejection. They're both about a bear in a bathrobe and bunny slippers holding coffee, but that's where the similarities end. By that logic, every cute bunny/squirrel/turtle/kitty design should probably be rejected

"Family Portrait" printed a few derbies ago, despite there being another shirt about an outcast Pluto. Same concept, different execution. No rejection.

wootvan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
cfdunbar wrote:



I like it...smokin'...the eyes, though, look a bit sad and Muppet-y.

Mom2PCnL


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mom2PCnL
spacegirlag wrote:i think you should still submit yours. the designs tell two completely different stories. crescentdebris' bear just turned two egg-throwing bunnies into his slippers. your bear just woke up from hibernation to find a couple month's worth of newspapers on his front lawn. i don't see any similarities, except the bear and the bunny slippers, and those aren't even drawn in the same style.



FWIW, I agree with this

killerorca


quality posts: 4 Private Messages killerorca
shikausstan wrote:So this is step two. I appreciate the comment on the first one. This is how it is coming along. I would really like some more feedback.



I think it would help of you could show the design on the shirt, the full view. I only have a few more comments:

The pipes should have some rust stains and different colors in some of the segments, like here

Speaking of the pipes how do you plan to have them terminate when they meet the design border?

Bring back the break in the pipe and the water that was feeding the flower. For an amazing water take a look at this shirt

You want the flower colors to be the ones that stand out, like in this patrickspens print

cfdunbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
wootvan wrote:I like it...smokin'...the eyes, though, look a bit sad and Muppet-y.



Okay yeah. They do look Muppet-y. I'm looking for glee / excitment.... suggestions?

wootvan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
cfdunbar wrote:Okay yeah. They do look Muppet-y. I'm looking for glee / excitment.... suggestions?



nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie

Here's my design. Hoping it doesn't get rejected. Figured I saw a twinkie in a non-pop culture derby so I should be ok. We'll see...

paaiyan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages paaiyan
wirdou wrote:Prepared for battle



This one, I love it.

Leahbh wrote:I like them all. I'd get rid of the cigar though on this one.



I disagree, the cigar makes it for me.

Also, your "Hay Fever" drawing is missing baling wire.

brockart


quality posts: 7 Private Messages brockart
wirdou wrote:

Prepared for battle





What if this bee had trophy head's of flowers or other critters hanging on his wall? Like he was a big buck hunter. He looks like he could be a decorated veteran.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
brockart wrote:What if this bee had trophy head's of flowers or other critters hanging on his wall? Like he was a big buck hunter. He looks like he could be a decorated veteran.



If he is a he...he doesn't do anything in the hive but eat and wait around for a queen to sex up.

:P

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

cptgone


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cptgone
paaiyan wrote:I disagree, the cigar makes it for me


+1

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 197 Private Messages Spiritgreen
odysseyroc wrote:I like it on brown.



Me too.

shikausstan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

So this is what I ended with. What shirt color would be best? I have it on brown.

bethany3cat


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bethany3cat
wirdou wrote:Thank you for the feedback. This is what I've got for now. Thewronggrape I know what you mean, but I just wanted to go literally with the words Hay and Fever so it would be easy to understand. I think it's cute this way too! I will probably draw something else But wanted to show you this one first!



I know I'm a little late to the conversation, and you have a fairly complete picture, but I have a few ideas I wanted to share with you.

I think that the bale of hay is fairly recognizable, but I'm not sure if you hadn't added the caption if I would have understood. Which led me to think about environmental cues that might help the audience.

Hoping that I could help, I searched out two different kinds of hay bales that might be more recognizable to the general public: Monet's haystacks and the rounded bales we have here in Texas.

Monet:

By bethany3cat at 2012-03-16

and rounded bales:

By bethany3cat at 2012-03-16


By bethany3cat at 2012-03-16

In closing, I love the concept and think you will execute it well.

thewronggrape


quality posts: 44 Private Messages thewronggrape
nblottie wrote:Here's my design. Hoping it doesn't get rejected. Figured I saw a twinkie in a non-pop culture derby so I should be ok. We'll see...



Cute! I don't think it violates any pop culture rules, though what's up with the chick in the box... he looks like he's sleeping... or dead...

shikausstan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
killerorca wrote:I think it would help of you could show the design on the shirt, the full view. I only have a few more comments:

The pipes should have some rust stains and different colors in some of the segments, like here

Speaking of the pipes how do you plan to have them terminate when they meet the design border?

Bring back the break in the pipe and the water that was feeding the flower. For an amazing water take a look at this shirt

You want the flower colors to be the ones that stand out, like in this patrickspens print



Hey thanks for the comment I actually tried almost all of those ideas. Take a look at my last post. Thanks a ton!

bethany3cat


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bethany3cat
shikausstan wrote:So this is what I ended with. What shirt color would be best? I have it on brown.



LOve this. I think it looks good on that color.

all I ask is that you add one or two mid air drops to stress the unexpected beauty from darkness idea.

bethany3cat


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bethany3cat

Now, here is my pathetic idea attempt that I would like some base feedback on.

It looks very rough -- probably because I could not track down my stylus and drew it with my finger.

The obscured boxes are supposed to represent the other seasons: rake and tree limbs for fall, snow man "kit" for winter, beach ball and sunglasses for summer.

I haven't decided, but I think they should be in black and white, with the color popping from the selected box.

So you think with work this concept has merit?

Have you veterans already seen this idea somewhere before?

Any advice for a N-OOb on shirt color or overall execution?


By bethany3cat at 2012-03-16

thewronggrape


quality posts: 44 Private Messages thewronggrape
wootvan wrote:Maybe have the other legs preparing as well...plotting targets on a map, polishing boots, wiping his brow?



Love this suggestion!

shikausstan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
bethany3cat wrote:Now, here is my pathetic idea attempt that I would like some base feedback on.

It looks very rough -- probably because I could not track down my stylus and drew it with my finger.

The obscured boxes are supposed to represent the other seasons: rake and tree limbs for fall, snow man "kit" for winter, beach ball and sunglasses for summer.

I haven't decided, but I think they should be in black and white, with the color popping from the selected box.

So you think with work this concept has merit?

Have you veterans already seen this idea somewhere before?

Any advice for a N-OOb on shirt color or overall execution?


By bethany3cat at 2012-03-16



I tend to like those designs. I bought the four seasons shirt from woot a while ago http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=54831

ochopika


quality posts: 24 Private Messages ochopika
cfdunbar wrote:Ah! I know Gaithersburg well... I grew up in Frederick. Which has been the hometown of my mother's side of the family since it was a little farming town, and I found myself wandering the halls of Lakeforest Mall on many a day. I still make my way down there on occassion as I am not far away even now. Just over the border in PA.



I spent a lot of time in Frederick. There was a nice rope swing there. I also spent a lot of time at Lakeforest Mall when I was a teenager. Maybe I saw you, lol!

There are a handful of artists who now live in or are from Maryland/DC here on woot. Ramy, Walmazan, Kevlar...anyone else? We can make a club, or something. Anyways, I'm always happy to randomly see internet people from my home state.

chellemonkey


quality posts: 5 Private Messages chellemonkey
bethany3cat wrote:Now, here is my pathetic idea attempt that I would like some base feedback on.

It looks very rough -- probably because I could not track down my stylus and drew it with my finger.

The obscured boxes are supposed to represent the other seasons: rake and tree limbs for fall, snow man "kit" for winter, beach ball and sunglasses for summer.

I haven't decided, but I think they should be in black and white, with the color popping from the selected box.

So you think with work this concept has merit?

Have you veterans already seen this idea somewhere before?

Any advice for a N-OOb on shirt color or overall execution?


By bethany3cat at 2012-03-16



Oh Like you are buying the "spring" kit? It would be awesome if the color box is like seed packages (without text) or something since everything else is something you can buy

bethany3cat


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bethany3cat
chellemonkey wrote:Oh Like you are buying the "spring" kit? It would be awesome if the color box is like seed packages (without text) or something since everything else is something you can buy



Great suggestion, I could add like a pair of gloves and some gardening implements. Put a beauty shot of flowers on the seed packet. That would give the flower context and background.

cwarfield82


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwarfield82
nblottie wrote:Here's my design. Hoping it doesn't get rejected. Figured I saw a twinkie in a non-pop culture derby so I should be ok. We'll see...



THIS ..is great! Good job!

bethany3cat


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bethany3cat
chellemonkey wrote:Oh Like you are buying the "spring" kit? It would be awesome if the color box is like seed packages (without text) or something since everything else is something you can buy



Okay, so with feedback (and a stylus), here is where I am. It is still rough -- I can't design as fast as these amazing folks!

I'm thinking the background would be the light blue t-shirt, but I"m hurrying so I didn't grab the color, just guesstimated.

Is anybody still on this thread? Or do we stop when the other one opens?


By bethany3cat at 2012-03-16