elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
BootsBoots wrote:What's with the outcry for aprons? I have nothing against them. I've just never seen someone wearing an apron in real life. Is there some apron subculture that I've been missing all these years?

I wear them when I bake, particularly bread. Without an apron, my clothes end up looking like I was attacked by the flour monster.

I have needed a Bake It So! apron ever since I saw the design in the Derby. NEED, I tell you!

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
BootsBoots wrote:What's with the outcry for aprons? I have nothing against them. I've just never seen someone wearing an apron in real life. Is there some apron subculture that I've been missing all these years?

I'm so glad someone else voiced this. I've never seen anyone wear one either, but figured posing the question would be seen as some kind of misogynistic snark.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
odysseyroc wrote:Thanks, Boots!

Hahaha! Best comment ever!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
endangeredomega wrote:I'm so glad someone else voiced this. I've never seen anyone wear one either, but figured posing the question would be seen as some kind of misogynistic snark.

I was wondering for awhile before I asked. I didn't want to come across as anti-apron in this pro-apron climate.

And thank you to everyone who has answered the pressing apron question. Aprons are for baking and grilling in your finest attire, and random collecting. I see. I shall buy an apron, and I shall tie it to a pole and wave it like a flag of glory. Viva la apron!

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli

If I had one, I'd definitely wear it for baking, especially since my son loves "helping" me bake, which usually ends up with flour everywhere...but I don't care enough to spend money on one that's not super cute/clever/whatever, hence why I don't currently have one.

goneferal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages goneferal

I love, love, love these side deals. I am so hopeful every Mon at 1AM, frantically clicking to see if I can finally buy The Convenient Tiny Chair. Here's a pic to support my agrument:

But even tho I haven't seen this one yet, or Schrödinger's Cat, I still end up buying something, usually. I LOVED the Krampus Xmas cards. I promise I will buy a Making Bread apron if woot offers one. I have two of the totes. The variety pleases me to no end.

I'm not sure if my favorite thing is the variety of products offered, or the chance to buy older designs on tees. Don't make me choose: Just keep offering both!

slacker44

quality posts: 7 Private Messages slacker44

How about "most wanted" shirts?

I found these repeatedly when I searched teetrade.org for wanted shirt.woot shirts:

1984: Duck Hunt

Uh-Oh

Счастливый Пятидесятый День рождения!

1982: Ah hee hee!

Blocks Build You

There's plenty more but those were just a few that I saw the most in the search. Okay...maybe also the few I wanted the most! ;)

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
missmelis wrote:I have to echo the concerns that have been raised by Narfcake and others in this thread about quality control for the weekly side sales.

Unfortunately, me too. My last three side-sale items all arrived with problems: the poster was bent; size small long-sleeve shirt printed with the same size graphic as men's medium-XXL, with the result that the shirt is unwearable and a waste of money; and a shirt listed as being printed on AA arrived on Anvil. Woot service quickly refunded the last one, but I feel like I've been wasting money. Which did not stop me from ordering three posters last week or a shirt this week. I don't know why: if these are not up to woot's normal quality, I really need to stop...

shirt.woot, I just can't quit you.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

macmankev

quality posts: 6 Private Messages macmankev

I love the side sales and I've bought a few things. But there are definitely some things I could see to make them better, some others have already mentioned (multiple times) but it doesn't hurt voicing them again.

• The sales definitely need to be advertised better. A link or banner in the reckoning would definitely work, but I also think a link up at the top between "derby" and "reckoning" might help too. Also some advertising in the other woot sites might drive sales some more.
  • Having more options for the designs to be printed on, like maybe having every design printed on a T and then select designs printed on the other options.
  • More sizes available for the other options, 3X and kids sizes. It would be great to get hoodies in my size (the 2X works but it's definitely a snug fit). It would be nice to get a hoodie of some designs for my niece and nephew
  • It might be interesting to see how extending the sale to two weeks might work. And maybe having a second email sent toward the end of the week, like on friday, with something like "Hey! Last chance to get these awesome extra designs. Check it out!" Just as a little experiment to see if it's worth doing.
  • I haven't had a problem yet, but if people are, better QC would definitely be good to have.
  • The mentions of honor sale was a great idea, and it would be great to see never-before-printed designs every couple months.
  • Possibly hold special "derbies" for voting on ideas for new themes, or even suggesting some.
  • Kind of along the same line, but maybe mini-derbies of past designs where people can vote on all designs from a two or three month period, and the top 10 make it into the sale.
  • I also liked the idea of seeing artists being able to tweak or update their shirt design and selling it again.

And there are many other great ideas in the thread. I'm glad you guys are asking for feedback.

It would really be awesome to see cart-style buying on woot, but I know the system doesn't quite work that way. And I know this is more of a suggestion for shirt.woot or woot in general, but it would definitely be beneficial, especially from a shipping standpoint, to have some way for the system on the back-end to take multiple orders by the same person and group them in a single shipment. Both for the side sales and the reckoning. I've had several amazon orders grouped into the same shipment when I've placed multiple orders in one day.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I think it would be a cool idea to offer coupons randomly to maybe get people to buy more in the side sales. Or maybe an "every 10 shirts, get one free" kind of thing.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Since others are begging for shirts, I'll join in.

I still want Bats! Probably one of my biggest regrets in not purchasing. But please! I was young and stupid. Now I'm old and still stupid.

Shirt.woot, give me Bats!

Bats! Bats! Bats! Bats! Bats! Bats!

(on AA por favor, but I'd even consider the alternative)

4khaos

quality posts: 8 Private Messages 4khaos

I like having AA options in the side sales, but I'm going to guess that's not going to continue for long.

Other than that, I think it would be pretty cool if designs weren't limited to a shirt/hoodie/apron/etc. and could be put on whatever we want.

sweetcynamon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sweetcynamon

Another vote for tanks for ladies! It's been summer since March in GA this year.

spacegirlag wrote:don't lie to these people. i lived in houston, and summer there starts in march.

in new braunfels now, and posted earlier asking for tanks. they'd be great anywhere in the south, and i'd wear the heck out of 'em during the summer (like to the river).

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj

Another idea, inspired by this Deals.woot question. Maybe onesies or bibs for little kids some week, especially with some of the more "child"-oriented designs on them?

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer

I love the side sales, please keep them coming. I do stay up late every Sunday in anticipation of what will be available this week. I'm always especially glad to see some of the oldies and goodies of yesteryear Woot. I prefer to see the older designs showcased rather than ones that were reckoned only a few weeks/months ago.

I am a big fan of the long-sleeved t-shirts, but honestly I don't think I would want more than 2 or 3 of them so for now I'm most interested in the regular plain t-shirts. Due to a miscommunication with my family members I did not receive the Woot Hoodie for Christmas, so I'm hoping that it will some day be available again.

The theme I'm most eagerly awaiting is "Dinosaurs" mostly because I really, really, really, really, want another copy of Villanous Velociraptor. I was sooooo disappointed that it wasn't offered in a wearable format in the last side side.

Also, my single biggest Woot regret is that I didn't buy Flying when I had a chance, so if you brought that back in t-shirt form I would be eternally grateful.

Other shirts I would like to see get a reprise:

Knife to See You (I actuallly had this one but, tragically, it was lost at the laundromat).

Be Nocturnal (another one lost in the same tragic laundromat accident)

An Unfolding Mystery (one of my first woots but I bought it in the wrong size which has forever made me sad)

trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss

Two shirts I'd like to see reprinted on AA blanks...

bluejester

quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester
artulo wrote:Since others are begging for shirts, I'll join in.

I still want Bats! Probably one of my biggest regrets in not purchasing. But please! I was young and stupid. Now I'm old and still stupid.

Shirt.woot, give me Bats!

Bats! Bats! Bats! Bats! Bats! Bats!

(on AA por favor, but I'd even consider the alternative)

I don't know why, but that shirt always cracks me up. I'd like to see that reprint again on AA.

spacegirlag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacegirlag
novastarj wrote:Another idea, inspired by this Deals.woot question. Maybe onesies or bibs for little kids some week, especially with some of the more "child"-oriented designs on them?

this, please. or if not onesies, at least on smaller kid shirt sizes. i can get the k4 shirts for my daughter, but my son is still wearing 18 month shirts. we all wore woot shirts last saturday (daughter in "inevitable betrayal", hubby in "plethora of pinatas", and me in "award for breathing") and my little boy was left out and had to wear a plain robot shirt. sad, isn't it? it'll be another two years before he can fit in sister's woot shirts. help a mother out, here.

newnie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages newnie
spacegirlag wrote:this, please. or if not onesies, at least on smaller kid shirt sizes. i can get the k4 shirts for my daughter, but my son is still wearing 18 month shirts. we all wore woot shirts last saturday (daughter in "inevitable betrayal", hubby in "plethora of pinatas", and me in "award for breathing") and my little boy was left out and had to wear a plain robot shirt. sad, isn't it? it'll be another two years before he can fit in sister's woot shirts. help a mother out, here.

Speaking of Pinatas, can we get a side sale for pinata themed shirts?

We’re more than famous!
A Plethora of Pinatas
X-Ray Fiesta
PAINata
Intensive Candy Unit (oh god, please this one!)

to widen out the selection maybe add others like:
Salsa Dancing (too cute!)
Loose Dips Sink Chips

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku

I want to see this redesigned onto an actual pillowcase for a side-sale.

spacegirlag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacegirlag
kinzoku wrote:

where is the "like" button when you need it...

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer
spilzer wrote: I really, really, really, really, want another copy of Villanous Velociraptor.

Yay, big ol' thanks to Woot for reissuing this design in not only t-shirt form but also long-sleeve tee. I got one of each, huzzah!

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

kinzoku wrote:

I still cry myself to sleep every night for having missed that shirt. I would buy ten pillowcases so that I'd always have a clean one to drool all over in my dreaming contentedness.

newnie

kinzoku wrote:

I would also buy this as an AA shirt or a pillowcase

jcflman

quality posts: 17 Private Messages jcflman
slacker44 wrote:How about "most wanted" shirts?

I found these repeatedly when I searched teetrade.org for wanted shirt.woot shirts:

1984: Duck Hunt

I'd love to have this one also. Mentioned it during the video game sale too. Maybe one day our wish will be granted.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

not that my opinion will be very respected, as ever, but here goes:

MrWeds already mentions in this thread the lack of quality that seems to be inherent in the current selections. This is ever a concern of mine, but quality is such a fickle concept. If it's not cats and bunnies, it will be pop culture thefts framed as parodies. If it's not pop culture thefts, it will be wholly unattractive tees which sell because they have some unfunny math joke on them. If it's not unfunny math jokes, it'll go back to cats. And really, once something sells, quality stops being something people can measure. So let's ignore the obvious for a moment and focus on things we CAN alter.

I have not spent a lot of time browsing the special weeks because the ones I have browsed haven't really done much to make me feel that I should browse more, but the fact is this thread proves a lot. There have been numerous recent shirts brought back on new formats, many current shirts brought onto new formats that can sell concurrently, many themes which fit into the same wheelhouses we see triumph regularly... The most important and fixable part of this is, simply, age. The thing that excited me during the first classics program (and I own two remastered tees from that run, some of the last tees I've bought from woot) was that there were legitimately old tees showing up. I already know I don't shop like most people do. I don't go in looking for a North Face jacket because everyone has one. I go in looking for a jacket that looks good to me, because I need one, and I hope to be surprised by something awesome. This is how I approached tees as well: if it gave me a visceral reaction of positive surprise, I respected it, even when I wouldn't wear it. When something honest inside me triggered an appreciation deeper than this, I'd buy it. I didn't sit up waiting for my favorite derby shirt to print (because they never hit the fog) nor did I sit up on daily days hoping that I'd get a Doctor Who shirt (or even a property I actually cared about) because I was looking for an actual stimulus from the art. So I realize what I'm about to say probably doesn't apply to most people, but here it goes.

Artulo is right about BATS, and not just because I'd be happy to go in on a copy even now. It is because it is a shirt people have actually asked for, but not a shirt people probably have. "You've got to try this, guys," for all its other flaws, is first and foremost well distributed, but secondly it is far fresher. How many first year tees have been reprinted through these weeks? Almost none (I'm wagering Sore Thumbs and Cake are exceptions, as well as Scurvy, but the motivation here is obvious). The fact is, even without voting, it still is a popularity contest. The stuff people remember get more sales (the difference between the second album from a one-hit wonder with lots of talent hidden behind that one hit, and the second album from Justin Bieber), and the stuff that is untested and was unpopular never gets a second chance.

There's something telling in the penguin v. bunnies stats. A Ramy "design", in a group of penguins, did not manage to crack 200 items sold, yet was the highest seller among them. Given that all the reboots in the first classics run hovered around 100 copies, despite being less popular or not at all popular the first time, I'm not really sure what the con would be to taking more risks on the obscure, but even more so, the old. Would I buy a "the Rustic" that actually fits me? I'm not sure, but I'd actually consider it. As always, my argument stands: if you can get similar results from better or at least more diverse product, and there is no one standing in the way (read: voters) of your decision to do that, why wouldn't you try to forge your own path?

Obviously I can't weigh in on print quality or blank issues because I haven't bought one, though it should be concerning to see a site raise its profit margin by $2 a tee while also decreasing its blank quality and possibly its print quality (as suggested by the other quotes in this thread). But the other thing I can definitely say is, there shouldn't be a single shirt brought back without it being brought back also as a t-shirt. That is what shirt.woot sells. I have not seen much evidence to state that the people who claim tees would be better as art are then buying those tees as art instead. People come here to buy shirts. So if you want to bring back Crooked Couch as a print (which I know you did), maybe bring it back as a shirt too, because people come here looking for shirts. Will it sell well as a shirt? I bet it didn't sell well as a print (more's the pity), so who cares? Once you select a design to come back, it should be on a tee first, and other product second. Not every design makes a good tote or apron or even poster. Granted, I don't think every design has made a good shirt. But they were made AS shirts, and they should return that way.

I know long messages with explanations aren't taken well 'round these tharr parts, so for those of you who have skimmed, the main two points are: 1) consider bringing back shirts that might have a new audience, not just ones with a safe audience, especially older ones that newer wooters might not have ever seen, and 2) print shirts because people go to shirt sites for shirts and if they missed a shirt they probably want to buy the design as a shirt.

bluejester

quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester
AdderXYU wrote:(wall of text)

I was the one asking about you. I may not agree with you. (Nearly ever). But, as a long standing member of the community, your sudden disappearance and switch from what I'll call "passionate" discourse, to depressed sounding before said disappearance was a little concerning.

I don't have a fruit basket, but I can give you a thread bump so people can you've weighed in. Welcome back.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

AdderXYU wrote:How many first year tees have been reprinted through these weeks? Almost none

For what it's worth, these are the first year designs that have been run in the side sales this year (three being from this week's sale):

Fly the Furry Skies
Uh-oh
Suburban Blitzkrieg
The Legend was Born
Alpha Battle
Sore Thumbs
Zombie Garden
Spring-ATRON R.E.S.U.B.
Lady out of Water
Do the Math
Quoth the Raven
Youbetchücan!
...except in a real race
Cat-Fu
KTHNXBAI!!!1
Mister Bobo, Masonic Dyna-Monkey

And these were first year and month or so:

Energy Harvester
Tuesday is Gonna be Rough
Tin Old Skool
Hungry Bento

I know I love running the early stuff and introducing it to a new crowd and getting them on new products. We're limited in some ways during selection by the themes we choose. In addition a lot of first year designs are, well... pretty rough (I say this with full knowledge that a more than few those rough ones belong to me). This limits the selection compared to later years where the overall quality picks up a bit. I'm looking forward to working in more first and second year designs where we can. We'll be doing a lot of these sales, so eventually we might hit on that one design you or others are itching for.

newnie

tgentry wrote:We're limited in some ways during selection by the themes we choose. In addition a lot of first year designs are, well... pretty rough (I say this with full knowledge that a more than few those rough ones belong to me).

Nonsense! The designs you call "rough" I call awesome. It was before artists were pandering to memes, pop culture, etc all the time.

Also, now that you are staff, does that mean you can no longer enter the derbies? As mentioned in this Open Spaces derby thread, we would have liked to see an entry from you!

sarahat

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sarahat

My main request is to make the full range of sizes for all apparel. It's bad enough that the daily shirts are no longer printed in a small women's size, you could at least make the side sales include women's and kids sizes (and on non-Anvil blanks so they would actually fit people).

bootricia

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bootricia

I love the side sales and I do stay up to see what's being offered.

I would love, love to see 'Knife to See You' (mise in place?) offered again. I should have gotten more than one of those the first time as all my cooking friends want one.

crazydoglady

quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady

I do look forward to the side sales every week - in fact, I count on them. Anvil just doesn't work for me so I am counting on the long-sleeve AA shirts for the 3 that I lack to earn my purple box.

That said - I would pay extra for AA WXL in short sleeves.

Tank tops would be great (another Houstonite).

Love the zip hoodie but I don't wear the hood on my head so the design on the back isn't visible, maybe move it down a little? (I was wearing my Binge hoodie and the check-out guy asked why I had a picture of a glass of spilled milk on the front - I had to turn around and flip the hood up so he could see the full design.)

AND - now that I've read this thread, QC. I bought a S of Slow and Steady Wins the Race (which I love) but the ends of the print are almost under my armpits when I wear it. I thought it was odd... now that I have read the comments here I wonder if it was printed with the same size screen that was used for the L???

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

I feel like there really ought to be a way to put multiple items in one order for Woot side sales. It would make it psychologically easier to order multiple items.

Here is how my thought process went on this most recent sale:

- Make one purchase of several copies of one tee, check out.

- New order for a couple more copies of that tee, check out.

- New order with a tote bag, check out.

At this point, I feel like I've spent a ton of money since I made three separate orders in a very short time span (this is more orders than I usually make in a week!).

So although there are a couple of tees unbought that I really dig... there's a mental roadblock preventing me from actually buying them.

I feel like that same roadblock would not be in place if I could add all those items into one cart. One big order just feels less expensive than several small ones.

My theory is that if a cart existed for multiple-item orders, people who liked a side sale theme would order more items... rather than just their favorite one (or two) of the batch.

goneferal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages goneferal

I wish there was a shopping cart especially for the international buyers, so they wouldn't have to pay $5 shipping on every single item.

SirGecko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SirGecko

More v-necks and long sleeves. Always more of those.

loridi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loridi
goneferal wrote:I wish there was a shopping cart especially for the international buyers, so they wouldn't have to pay $5 shipping on every single item.

This would be great for the reckoning as well.

I do understand the need to charge for international shipping, it's just feels like "three shirts for the price of four" when buying.

Grouping would be great for woot in regards to domestic sales as well since it would cost them less to ship multiple selections together than to ship them all separetely.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

I couldn't read all this thread, and I'll probably repeat what someone said before but I think Narfcake and Bassanimation made a really good point when talking about the exposure of the side sale for the common users. I think you should work on that. I know about the side sales, cause I'm now a woot-addict, but I think for most of the people...the banner is not enough. Sometimes it has to many words. I think it should be big, with just a few appealing words, and with examples of the the shirts involved (so that people can see something recognizable :D). I like your banners...but I think the don't work the way they should.

And also...As many people said it would be great that all items were offered in all formats.

And, as Boots and other said, V-neck for girls would be great. I know my girlfriend would appreciate that so much! hahahah

Anyway, I think the side sales are just awesome. For people like me, that are pretty new to woot, is a fantastic opportunity to have some shirts I've missed. For the rest, it's a chance to have posters, hoodies and tote bags of their favorite designs. So sure I think it's a great idea!! :D

digitalmindy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages digitalmindy

Can we get a Whedon themed side sale??

MrsBones

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrsBones

I would like for the side sales to end at the same time that the reckoning occurs (12 p.m. Central.) Once more, I have missed the opportunity to purchase @-@, and I am SO sad :[

If I'm to keep buying shirts, I need MXS! Please add my size!

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
wirdou wrote:
And, as Boots and other said, V-neck for girls would be great. I know my girlfriend would appreciate that so much! hahahah

Yeah, your girlfriend would be the one to appreciate that, eh?

(I've always dressed fairly modestly, but at some point I realized that one consequence of being on the short end of the growth charts is that most people could look down my shirt with ease - so, only collarbone-covering shirts for me!)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

ljwilke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ljwilke
neuropsychosocial wrote:Yeah, your girlfriend would be the one to appreciate that, eh?

(I've always dressed fairly modestly, but at some point I realized that one consequence of being on the short end of the growth charts is that most people could look down my shirt with ease - so, only collarbone-covering shirts for me!)

i never thought of that. it always just bugged me when i looked down and saw too much. good thing that bugged me because i could have looked really slutty as short as i am.