j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tjschaeffer wrote:I like it. Reminds me a bit of Birthplace of Inspiration, not that that's a bad thing at all.

This will get absolutely torn apart in the derby due to its similarity to "birthplace". Not trying to be mean, but the derby threads are vicious, so be prepared.

move along

alex138

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alex138
spacegirlag wrote:i'd love to see something with "do not go gentle into that good night\...\rage, rage against the dying of the light"...

could be legen-wait for it-dary.

exactly what I chose to do...hope you like it!

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
anamya wrote:^Is awesome. I would probably buy it. I'm picky, too.

Where do you click to submit, and what time? It is like 12pm CST on Friday, right? My first derby.

Thanks for the comment. Yes in 3 hours you can submit. There is a mad rush at noon to submit but if you do it then you have a nice boost to help your confidence... I don't know if it actually helps in the long run...

shikausstan

j5 wrote:This will get absolutely torn apart in the derby due to its similarity to "birthplace". Not trying to be mean, but the derby threads are vicious, so be prepared.

I had no intention of making it similar to another idea. I don't know how many of you play the guitar but its like when you start playing and think you are making something up and then you listen to the radio later and realize that you aren't so creative after all.

I guess the only good thing to come from that would be this Brad Paisley song, "But the more they run my name down the more my price goes up..."

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
Radscoolian wrote:

Air Quote the Raven

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Personally, I got a good chuckle from the raven idea. Given the issues that folks have with the existing raven shirt, that might be a problem, despite being 2 totally different images. I loved the bit of snark the raven has going on and this one it was really easy to get the poem, which I think will be a really hard part of this all art, no text poetry derby.

Side note - anyone else think it would've been good to have some bit of text, maybe on the back, with the source quoted?

shikausstan

So I made some changes is this better?

skahfee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skahfee
ochopika wrote:You leave them as gradients for the print file only. Gradients need to be visible in the shirt comp and the thumbnail. This is so that people vote on what the design will really look like on a shirt. Good luck and have fun!

Hrmm... I'm going to have to figure out how to do that then.

ApeLad

quality posts: 44 Private Messages ApeLad
Radscoolian wrote:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I love them both, but especially the raven.

j5

shikausstan wrote:I had no intention of making it similar to another idea.

Sorry, I wasn't accusing you, just a friendly observation regarding the derby minions. Your new version should mitigate most of that, but it loses that "jumping into the unknown" feel the original had.

aerc712 wrote:Given the issues that folks have with the existing raven shirt, that might be a problem, despite being 2 totally different images.

I think the issues with the existing Raven shirt are totally unrelated to the subject matter and more about the execution.
< insert image unrelated joke>

move along

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox

The Walrus and The Carpenter:
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

Somewhere on my wish list is software that can handle half tones.

shikausstan

haxrox wrote:The Walrus and The Carpenter:
"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages--and kings--

Its called gimp... its free.

yellowflower

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower

I doubt at this point anyone's interested in another suggestion, but I was desperately trying to remember the title of this poem yesterday and I couldn't, so here it is today, anyway. It's very long, so I won't quote the entire thing, but there are so many great parts this is bound to be a huge space-taker of a post.

"The Old Vicarage, Grantchester" (Rupert Brooke) has a lot of really great imagery that I think would do well as a shirt.
http://www.bartleby.com/232/701.html

"JUST now the lilac is in bloom,
All before my little room;
And in my flower-beds, I think,
Smile the carnation and the pink;
And down the borders, well I know,
The poppy and the pansy blow…
Oh! there the chestnuts, summer through,
Beside the river make for you
A tunnel of green gloom, and sleep
Deeply above; and green and deep
The stream mysterious glides beneath,
Green as a dream and deep as death.
—Oh, damn! I know it! and I know
How the May fields all golden show,
And when the day is young and sweet,
Gild gloriously the bare feet
That run to bathe…
Du lieber Gott!"

"… would I were
In Grantchester, in Grantchester!—
Some, it may be, can get in touch
With Nature there, or Earth, or such.
And clever modern men have seen
A Faun a-peeping through the green,
And felt the Classics were not dead,
To glimpse a Naiad’s reedy head,
Or hear the Goat-foot piping low:…
But these are things I do not know.
I only know that you may lie
Day long and watch the Cambridge sky,
And, flower-lulled in sleepy grass,
Hear the cool lapse of hours pass,
Until the centuries blend and blur
In Grantchester, in Grantchester.…"

"And in that garden, black and white,
Creep whispers through the grass all night;
And spectral dance, before the dawn,
A hundred Vicars down the lawn;
Curates, long dust, will come and go
On lissom, clerical, printless toe;
And oft between the boughs is seen
The sly shade of a Rural Dean…
Till, at a shiver in the skies,
Vanishing with Satanic cries,
The prim ecclesiastic rout
Leaves but a startled sleeper-out,
Grey heavens, the first bird’s drowsy calls,
The falling house that never falls."

j5

haxrox wrote:The Walrus and The Carpenter:
"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages--and kings--

Exhibit A:

j5 wrote:I want to see Jesus and a walrus eating oysters by the beach.

cheers

Exhibit B:Halftone like the cool kids, with GIMP

move along

yellowflower

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower
shikausstan wrote:So I made some changes is this better?

I do like this one better! I would definitely buy this if it printed, whereas the first version I think was a little too similarly shaped to the aforementioned shirt, and would have kept me from spending the money.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
j5 wrote:I think the issues with the existing Raven shirt are totally unrelated to the subject matter and more about the execution.
< insert image unrelated joke>

I guess my half-asleep brain just honed in
on the "not another raven shirt" comments I imagined popping up.

Still think this design's awesome.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
aerc712 wrote:I guess my half-asleep brain just honed in
on the "not another raven shirt" comments I imagined popping up.

Still think this design's awesome.

this design is actual art. i wish it would replace the old one. i'm sick of seeing it.

skahfee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skahfee

Okay, so I'm all half-toned up. Have to admit I'm feeling a little nervous that I'm not up to par with the great art I'm seeing here. Any last minute critiques/suggestions?

Thanks guys!!

WootShirtTemplate_2012_ARTIST by SkahfeeStudios, on Flickr

shikausstan

skahfee wrote:Okay, so I'm all half-toned up. Have to admit I'm feeling a little nervous that I'm not up to par with the great art I'm seeing here. Any last minute critiques/suggestions?

Thanks guys!!

WootShirtTemplate_2012_ARTIST by SkahfeeStudios, on Flickr

To be honest simplicity usually does as good as super artistic. I think maybe cross fading the two sides of the globe might look cool, but that's up to you.

perdita00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perdita00

Here is my entry - just finished in time for the start of the derby (for once!!)

I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud

colinlepper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages colinlepper

I keep trying to send my hi-res file to derby@woot.com but the delivery keeps failing... does anyone know why this keeps happening?

regularshmo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages regularshmo

i would love to see the "two dead boys got up to fight" poem. anything by ogden nash would be fun to see as well.

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
colinlepper wrote:I keep trying to send my hi-res file to derby@woot.com but the delivery keeps failing... does anyone know why this keeps happening?

Is your attachment too large for email? Try zipping it

Giggglius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Giggglius

So, can somebody be clear what "no pop culture riffs" entails? I mean, I see a lot of pop culture in other shirts, so I'm wondering if they just don't want it for this derby, or am I misunderstanding?

Essentially, I'm picturing "Oh captain my captain" with a bunch of famous captains (Jack Sparrow, Kirk, Crunch, etc.)

Is that exactly what they don't want?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Giggglius wrote:So, can somebody be clear what "no pop culture riffs" entails? I mean, I see a lot of pop culture in other shirts, so I'm wondering if they just don't want it for this derby, or am I misunderstanding?

Essentially, I'm picturing "Oh captain my captain" with a bunch of famous captains (Jack Sparrow, Kirk, Crunch, etc.)

Is that exactly what they don't want?

Yeah, that's pretty much totally pop culture. Look at it this way: If you have to know the movie or TV show or commercial where a character or saying or concept came from in order for it to make sense to be funny...it's probably pop culture. And keep in mind that just because something was submitted doesn't mean it will escape the rejectionation.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

wehealthy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wehealthy

This is my second derby entry. Any feedback?

anamya

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anamya
Mavyn wrote:Yeah, that's pretty much totally pop culture. Look at it this way: If you have to know the movie or TV show or commercial where a character or saying or concept came from in order for it to make sense to be funny...it's probably pop culture. And keep in mind that just because something was submitted doesn't mean it will escape the rejectionation.

Thanks for explaining that a little better. Never quite understood it.

Mavyn

anamya wrote:Thanks for explaining that a little better. Never quite understood it.

There's more to it than that, but TV and movies are the big ones. If something is an internet meme, it's pop culture (ie, lolcats, rage face), and a lot of music (Lady Gaga, the Beatles) and video games (Mario ad nausea, Zelda). These are things that are readily recognized by the majority of viewers.

loridi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loridi

It's shaping up to be a potentially expensive week after this derby. Sadly no Nash though. I do love Ogden.

Reflections On Ice-Breaking

Candy
Is Dandy
But liquor
Is quicker.

jabascus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jabascus

How in the world do you guys get entries in so fast? I think an hour went by and there was at least a dozen up there.

Mavyn

jabascus wrote:How in the world do you guys get entries in so fast? I think an hour went by and there was at least a dozen up there.

The subject was announced yesterday...though yes it is still awesome.

scrabblefish

quality posts: 13 Private Messages scrabblefish

WOW! Loving the originality & variety of this derby.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

Beowulf... a little late subbing but hope people dig it.

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 98 Private Messages Thirdbase9

What, no urns?

I don't know.

colinlepper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages colinlepper
Radscoolian wrote:Is your attachment too large for email? Try zipping it

zipping worked, it usually says when the files too big so that threw me. thanks!

JBRothman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JBRothman

[quote postid="4933332" user="nighsparrow"]Would love to see a design based on "The Emperor of Ice-Cream," which seems to be about ice cream, but is actually a funeral poem. Lots of creepy sweetness.

Or Stevens' "Thirteen ways of looking at a blackbird" would be good too.

Graciella2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Graciella2

Why do most of the entries seem to only very vaguely reference the derby theme anymore?

craftiness1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages craftiness1

So I was thinking it may be kind of fun to do something with a "carpe diem" theme, particularly something to do with "The Passionate Shepherd to his Love" (Christopher Marlowe, 1599) and "The Nymph's Reply" (Sir Walter Raleigh, 1600). Since they go together any, a shirt combing them could be pretty nifty.
Any thoughts?

anamya

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anamya
Graciella2 wrote:Why do most of the entries seem to only very vaguely reference the derby theme anymore?

Which ones do you think are vague? I think most of these are related... but poetry is so open to interpretation that it can easily get misconstrued, anyway.

polerizer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages polerizer

By now it's probably way too late to say anything, but Sara Teasdale is awesome. Would totally buy a shirt with There Will Be Rest on it. :D

noxandpy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy

Hi guys! My partner Nox and I have managed to get our first derby submission together! It's a little late, but I'm pretty in love with it!!