lisabethjo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lisabethjo

Sadly, with all the news reports on now, all I see is pink slime.

HannaDisaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HannaDisaster
Re: 10 000 stars - e.e. cummings

i love e e cummings. i'm so glad you did a design based on his poetry.

downsyndrom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages downsyndrom

I count 23 hearts... this is funner then a half filled-in highlights image search in the dentist office

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
Re: A dream within a dream

The REJECTIONATOR is gonna toss this because of TEXT! Resub without all the ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: Pure Imagination

I feel like from a distance, this is just going to look like a certain ... umm, bodily fluid splattered across the chest. No thanks.

seventeenjaye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seventeenjaye
Re: The Writer

This is awesome! I'd wear this shirt all the time!

endangeredomega

Re: How Doth the Little Crocodile

I don't know that the blurriness is working for you here. From any kind of distance, this seems like it would look more like a massive toothpaste smear than anything.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: I know why the caged bird sings

Lovely work, jas.

It's refreshing to see a different kind of layout and it's perfect on yellow. :^)

thePenrod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thePenrod
Re: Namárië/Aldudénië (Tolkien)

Nicely done. Alot of your designs are really getting good. There were a couple of shirts we wanted a couple of weeks ago. You should sell them through other means like some of the other designers do.

pseudotexan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pseudotexan
Jussslic wrote:Oh man, I saw the title and really hoped it would somehow relate to "The Stars My Destination."

Still cool thought.

This.

garnetfirebird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garnetfirebird
curli76 wrote:It is a song written specifically for the movie, unless he's referencing a different poem, in which case, which poem?

Songs are just poems that you sing.

LadyofRohan2995

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LadyofRohan2995
Re: Namárië/Aldudénië (Tolkien)

Awesome! I realized despite my 30+ shirts, I do not have a Tolkien one yet, much less one that references the Silmarillion. Really hope this prints!

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
garnetfirebird wrote:Songs are just poems that you sing.

Yes, you can refer to a song as poetry, though a song is much more than "just" a poem that you sing. And I don't see any other entries based on song lyrics. I think the judges wanted poems that exist as poetry in a truer sense, but I will leave it to them to decide.

BTW, lest you think I'm a "hater," I happen to really like the shirt this artist has up for sale today.

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
Re: Dream Within A Dream

This is a striking design. Beautiful and well done.

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat

zuperior

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zuperior
shikausstan wrote:I would think this is a Chinese reference... but regardless it looks amazing!

It's a reference to "The Tyger" by William Blake, one of my favorites.

rogue8402

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rogue8402
Re: Lazy Jane

Love this. Great work!

rogue8402

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rogue8402
Re: The Falling Flower

Yay! Another Ochopika kitty. ^_^ I'd have a closet full of your stuff if I could!

avidan111

quality posts: 1 Private Messages avidan111
Re: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

I simply love this design!

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

shikausstan

Re: bad morning

I feel his expression tells the story of my life! GMV

shikausstan

avidan111 wrote:I simply love this design!

I love the concept on this one!!! I feel it does the very best at capturing the feeling of the poem.

cpresti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpresti
tonycenteno wrote:Fantastic work!

Thanks!

Check out my Food design please!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: I know why the caged bird sings

Whoa - I was not expecting to find this in the fog today, when I last looked yesterday it was not even close! Glad you like it voters!!:D

Spiritgreen wrote:Lovely work, jas.

It's refreshing to see a different kind of layout and it's perfect on yellow. :^)

Thanks spiritgreen! I know yellow isn't usually popular but it just seemed to fit best ^_^

Vote!

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
TobiasAmaranth wrote:I'm hungry now... :D

Fried or grilled or stuffed in a bun,
or maybe in some soup.
A salad, some sushi, a taco, spaghetti,
perhaps I'll just have desert!

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhiJwfj0URs)

A silly poem about this design inspired by the poem/comment from TobiasAmaranth above.

Ode to a Bunny

I love them fried or even grilled,
great in a bun or gazpacho chilled.

Amazing in salads or as sushi,
"mmmm" a "fluffy" taco with an ice cold brewski.

Served with pasta it's on the money,
I'd die for a sundae with a scoop of bunny.

n10city

quality posts: 0 Private Messages n10city

I remember way back in junior high choir, singing a song that was adapted from this poem. The shirt is brilliant and I pray that if it does not win, it at least places so I can purchase one.
Well done, very well done!

endangeredomega

Re: Beowulf

Really well done. Keeping my fingers x'ed I'll have the chance to buy this from another site sometime soon (perhaps Goodjoe?)

3rdmaestro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3rdmaestro
Re: The Tyger

I had thought of doing making a shirt design with this poem in mind, but I must say you did a much better job. I hope this one makes it!

pherbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pherbear
pikagirl wrote:Here's the conundrum: I can't vote until I buy a shirt but I would totally vote for this shirt because I want to buy it. >.<

I'm in the same boat. Boo!

cpresti

Love this! Very well done!

sunnysfunny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sunnysfunny

I agree with every comment said above me!

cpresti

Re: Trees by Joyce Kilmer

I love the use of monotone!

cpresti

Re: Sea Shell by Amy Lowell

I really like this, but I kinda wish there was more color. But that's just because I adore color!

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

lisabethjo wrote:Sadly, with all the news reports on now, all I see is pink slime.

What? I've not been keeping up on current events, apparently. I will look that up now and probably be horrified. *edit: Just looked it up. Not to sound hipster-ish, but people didn't know about this until just now? It's nice to see that the grossness of the food industry is finally getting some real publicity. I thought people just didn't care that they were eating liquified cow scraps and ammonium. I guess its really just the ammonium that I think is really gross. Okay, I'm off my off-topic soap box now.*

Oh btw, it's been just about a year since I started posting here. Thanks everyone for being so awesome and helpful to me this whole time

hdlibra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hdlibra
mjc613 wrote:I am not sure that the crown will show up well when this is printed. I'm not sure if that's because there is not enough contrast, or because the lines are not thick enough. I am basing this on how it looks in the thumbnail

I agree. But I’m so glad someone chose The Lion and The Unicorn. This is one of my favorite childhood poems.

viridiancat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages viridiancat
Re: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

I love the mood and the cool blue colors scheme. The yellow glows really nicely and softly around the free bird!

cpresti

viridiancat wrote:I love the mood and the cool blue colors scheme. The yellow glows really nicely and softly around the free bird!

Thanks! I usually try to squeeze so many colors into it that I wanted to try to be more monotone for once. I think it worked out all right!

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Lady Lazarus- Sylvia Plath

This looks like 7 colors to me: blue, red, white, black, lavender, beige, brown. Did I get that wrong?

bluesplot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluesplot
Re: I CARRY YOUR HEART WITH ME

I really, really want this one to win! I love it.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
anamya wrote:We do it because woot requires us to. Believe me, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't. You are only allowed six colors total on an image. (Plus negative space of shirt color.)

I don't understand why illustrator users aren't required to though. They are supposed to leave the gradients in. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Are you sure Woot requires you to?

Illustrator uses spot color, which is equivalent to the ink color you want to use. You can specify a percentage of this spot color, 0% being no color, and 100% being solid color. A gradient is a blend from 0%-100%. This is output to a film through software called a RIP. Its sole purpose is to generate halftones from these percentages. It is quite costly, usually around $500. It can also generate halftones from a Photoshop file, if it is saved as a multi-channel DCS file. Each layer, saved as a channel, is assigned a different spot color. Same principle when sent to the RIP.

The thing is, if you don't know what you're doing, it's easy to end up with something called moire. Say you use an arbitrary LPI of 52. If they then print on a mesh with 156 threads per inch, you get interference (52 * 3 = 156, which is bad).

Also, I've seen people use unattractive angles such as 90 degrees for their halftones.

And thirdly, anything over 60 LPI is too fine for screen printing. And under 10% or over 90% isn't printable either. I could go on.

I don't understand why Woot wouldn't want control over how halftones are generated. The designer could specify whether they want dots or lines, but beyond that, the printer knows best.

End of two cents.