kittdee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kittdee

All KINDS of awesome going on here! Well done, sir. Well done.

nessa204

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nessa204
dragonflye wrote:It is an infamous statue, and I think the art is great. I would buy it.

They made a statue of this??!? I thought it was just a photograph...

melkoford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melkoford

Shows that we all see things differently.

megadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megadog
Re: Going Down With the Ship!

love this for 2 reasons:
100 years since the Titanic sank

the leading violinist Wallace Henry Hartley was born in a town 10 miles from where I live
nice one

aumanjoi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aumanjoi
mrscat206 wrote:The 5th of November happens to be my birthday - therefore I tend to be a sucker for all Guy Fawkes shirts...

(also, this is pretty stinkin cute)

Ditto! It's got my vote!

Cheezor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cheezor

Donnie Darko, anyone? This is FRIGHTENING

Cheezor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cheezor

This is currently my pick for the Derby

runovermeat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages runovermeat

so i was just wondering which programs you used for this and how long youve been at it te art is great. I have illustrator, but i have to go to youtube to do anything you could give pointers.

tabitha87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tabitha87
Re: Remember the Alamo

Really?

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Leonardo

Hey everyone Had an insanely busy few days and haven't had time to comment. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who voted for this design.

I also wanted to comment on the "missing" easel leg that so many people seem to be upset about. I intentionally left it out because I felt that it's exclusion provided better visual clarity. Not sure if any of you actually mapped out where the leg would go in the design, but I drew some diagrams to show what I mean.

In red, I drew where the front leg of the easel would go in the design:

Now, moving this behind the turtle and the stool, this is what would show through (still in red):

This last one is the same image, but changed to have the easel leg in brown:

The tiny fraction of the leg that would actually show through there simply ends up looking like an odd part of the stool on which the turtle is sitting. I don't think its removal hurts the design. This is merely my opinion on the matter and can understand that not everyone would feel the same way. I just felt I should address this, since a bunch of people were jumping to the "ramyb does sloppy designs" conclusion, and I really don't think that's the case. I have been working hard on my designs recently, and feel that I have upped my quality and variety pretty substantially.

I often make decisions in my designs based on what looks best to me rather than what makes the most sense. When mapping out 3 dimensional scene onto a 2 dimensional surface in a cartoon style, laying things out exactly as they would be in real life doesn't always yield the best results. In this case, I think the way the design is arranged makes for immediate understanding of what's going on, and highlights the features of the scene that I wanted to be most prominent.

Anyway, tl;dr I guess, and thanks again to those who are enjoying this design

leviafan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leviafan
clav08 wrote:I love this one! I don't understand how it doesn't have more votes.

Because people are silly and prefer cutesy cats, bunnies and penguins...? I am arachnophobic, but this design is really neat. A spider-Franklin capturing a lightning bug, with his web no less, has to be one of my favorite ideas to come out of this derby.

Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way.

loridi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loridi
Re: First Flight, 1903

May that litle penguin some how some fly into the fog and beyond.

I love the colours.

loridi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loridi
taternuggets wrote:Because penguins on this site only do what real penguins do.

Like wear helmets when they see a ship approaching. ;)

Hm... perhaps the ship they were on sunk earlier?

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Hi there, nice work and I can't blame you (too much) for making a ninja turtle... it's funny and it works.
I like the texture you used for the paper. It gives the design a little more variety. Did you use a texture brush or something else? Just curious

vikungfu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vikungfu
leviafan wrote:Because people are silly and prefer cutesy cats, bunnies and penguins...? I am arachnophobic, but this design is really neat. A spider-Franklin capturing a lightning bug, with his web no less, has to be one of my favorite ideas to come out of this derby.

Thanks guys. I'm pretty new to shirt design and it's comments like yours that make it all worth while.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
ramyb wrote:'long distracting explanation which makes no sense'

So I read and saw your explanantion and wanted to test it out on my own but with using a grid. Sorry Ramyb, but your wrong. If we use a grid and line it up with the back legs and count out five blocks as the spacing in between the right side legs you'll see the front left leg would appear very visable as shown in the mock up below. also at the same time you see how off the turtle on the stool is and exists on its own plain and dimensions than the easel.

Your answer, which is quite wordy and makes it seem like you put all this thought into the layout of the design, is purely smoke and mirror bs. Its okay to fess up when someone catches with your pants down.

also where's the turle's legs/feet as well?

tenaciousleesha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tenaciousleesha

I didn't expect this.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
ramyb wrote:

midgerock wrote:

There are a lot of issues with perspective in this design. It seems like every object has a different perspective. It is really all over the place; however, most of the issue will go unnoticed to the common viewer here, but I think the leg is a huge exception...

First off, YOU ARE BOTH RIGHT... technically. RamyB is using what is called isometric perspective to justify his case, meaning that he uses a 2 point perspective but he does not display depth by foreshortening elements in the distance. There is nothing wrong with that...

Here is a visual example of isometric perspective:

Midge is using more of a true 2 point perspective to justify his case. Just because midge's version is more accurate and realistic, does not mean it is right in the artist's world. However, I will say that I agree with MidgeRock more because I EXPECT to see the leg there (I don't think many can argue that). To me, no matter how accurate your drawing is, it still feels like it is missing; it still feels wrong... if that makes sense.

Well that my art lesson for the day. I hope you all enjoyed it

arionrhodgraylock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arionrhodgraylock
Re: The Spanish Equisition

The Three Ponies of the Apocrypha! :D

Immanentizing the Eschaton since 1985

bluejester

quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester

Okay, it was a bit difficult, but I may have found the missing leg.

In all seriousness though, Ramyb, you need to pull this design. For a design missing an entire leg, it sure sticks out like a sore thumb. Midge has done a decent job pointing out where the leg would logically fall, among the other flaws with the placement of the turtle. Ochopika is right that the paper effect looks cool. However, the other issues just are too much.

Maybe it was a late night. Maybe you were distracted with personal stuff, had a clever idea, but not the time to execute it properly in order to be the among the first to upload their designs. Maybe it was a simple mistake that you didn't notice until people on the forums were commenting, "Dude, ummm...where's the other leg?"

Whatever the reason, it's just not executed as well as it could be. People can spot your designs right off the bat anyway, so why not take a chance on fixing the problems, and see if a 2.0 version of this climbs up the fog? What's life with out it's share of risk? Isn't that part of the fun?

jandk113

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jandk113
Re: Jack Rabbit the Ripper

I absolutely love this, definitely a must buy if it wins!! +1 - unfortunately I can't vote more than once!!

I ♥ WOOT!!!

spkidwell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spkidwell
Re: Bearing Down on the Viking Dogs at Stamford Bridge

The Saxon King, Harold Godwinson, beared down quickly upon the Viking dogs on September 25, 1066 and waged and won the Battle at Stamford Bridge.

laja2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laja2

[[terror]]

fourlane77

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77
viridiancat wrote:This is just insanely good! And you don't even need any blood to scare the heck out of me! Great colors and drawing.

...just trace amounts of carrot juice...

thanks!

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.

fourlane77

cptgone wrote:i love this so much i'm considering withdrawing my vote for the 5 other designs in/near the fog.

...out of respect for the other artists i would never endorse an idea like that, ahem...

(but seriously, thank you!)

fourlane77

wehealthy wrote:I swapped the pony express rider for the animal of my choosing, the pony express horse.

5 Colors on Baby Blue

hilarious!

reluctantfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reluctantfire
Re: Sic Semper Tyrannis Rex

Love the design, but I'll admit I didn't understand its full puntastic awesomeness until I looked up "Sic semper tyrannis" -

from Wikipedia: "Sic semper tyrannis is a Latin phrase meaning 'thus always to tyrants.' [...] The phrase has been invoked historically in Europe and other parts of the world as an epithet or rallying cry against abuse of power. In the U.S. it has particular infamy as the words shouted by John Wilkes Booth during his assassination of President Abraham Lincoln..."

Clever!!

sunoki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunoki

Man... I really want this one... so sad I cannot vote! This is awesome!

[url]http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=63240[/url/

reluctantfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reluctantfire
Re: One Small Step for Ham

elmosuperman wrote:You had my vote at 'bacon flag'.

THIS!

Also, love the style of the design, so simple & fun!

bluejester

quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester

I guess the other thing that bothers me is that I feel like I'm seeing 7 or 8 colors here. I thought the rules were 6?

Light green
Dark green
Light blue
Dark blue
White
Light Brown
Dark Brown
Black? (This might just be use of shirt color.)

It could just be half-tone stuff that I don't quite have as good a grasp on as I would like. Not trying to be a jerk here or display possible ignorance, I just feel like I'm seeeing too many colors.

nickolis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickolis
aerc712 wrote:We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. For me, Star Trek is not something that I could envision including in a class lecture, that's what I based my assessment on. For some people, the first episode of Star Trek might mark an "historical event," but I don't think it does. But, what do I know about history, I'm just in the final stages of earning my second degree in the subject.

Luckily, if you feel that the entry is not within the thematic rules of the derby, Woot has provided an outlet for your concerns. It is a little red button, called "Tattle on this."

They can make the decision and we will see where the pick-up sticks (first brought to the United States in 1936 from Hungary, Oh My Fruitful Garden, history) lay.

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
thatquietgir1 wrote:Too bad there's a no text rule. "The Beagles" on the drum would have been perfect

Yeah too bad about the rule! , would be cool to put it on the bass drum.

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
dragonflye wrote:Love it, just wish it wasn't a white shirt.

Thanks , tried different options but white worked the best for me on this concept , kind of the white album style.

jbarrplum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbarrplum
Re: Little Boy

If you had ever been to Hiroshima, which you obviously haven't, you would realize that this design is in very poor taste. I recommend that you go to Hiroshima, tour the museum there, and talk to several people who survived (yes, there were some) and then rethink this design. And yes, I have been to Hiroshima several times. Nothing cute or funny about it.

wehealthy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wehealthy
Re: Jack Rabbit the Ripper

The design really succeeds in its intent. The haunting glow illuminates just what needs to be seen and integrates well into the shirt.The wallpaper lets us know there might be more of the scene that isn't shown so good call including that last minute.

Just my two cents
Good Stuff and I also appreciate your comment.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
bluejester wrote:I guess the other thing that bothers me is that I feel like I'm seeing 7 or 8 colors here. I thought the rules were 6?

Light green
Dark green
Light blue
Dark blue
White
Light Brown
Dark Brown
Black? (This might just be use of shirt color.)

It could just be half-tone stuff that I don't quite have as good a grasp on as I would like. Not trying to be a jerk here or display possible ignorance, I just feel like I'm seeeing too many colors.

The design is, in fact, 6 colors- that's why I have a halftone closeup on the side

As for pulling the design, I have no interest in changing a design when I like it as-is. I have made edits to submissions in the past when I felt they were necessary, but I happen to like this design in its original form. Adding an easel leg there simply looks like an odd appendage on the stool to me, and I prefer the design without it. As for the turtle's legs, they wrap over the edge of the stool- I'm not sure where else they should be. I understand not everyone likes the execution, but it happens to have turned out pretty much the way I want it to.

ellerythecelery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ellerythecelery
Re: Flapper

As someone who has raised ducks and watched them go through the hilarious "flapper" stage of learning to fly, as well as someone who appreciates awesome and creative 1920's fashion, I am a huge fan of this shirt! The chick has great attitude and the concept is clever and fitting. I hope it prints -- good luck to you!

dijay

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijay
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=62240]Dave

Awesome work!

dijay

Re: Peace

WOW. A must have!!!

dijay

Re: It's Hot in Saint Helena

Hahaha. Great :D