DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 151 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Hey everyone! I figure I'd give you guys a heads up that I've just launched a Kickstarter to raise funds so I can print an art book that includes a ton of the designs that I've made for the derby over the years. Here's the spiel or you can just go and look at the kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1048372333/mystery-pets-art-book

Last Year for San Diego Comic Con I published a small paperback sized collection of my odd animal art as a book called Quirky.

Quirky was a 56-page perfect bound book that I funded myself and printed in full color. But I've already made so much more art that I've out grown this small collection and would like to tackle a more substantive tome of my work. While most of the art is complete and ready to be collected I still need a little help funding this bigger project.

I want to print a 96-page graphic novel sized full color collection of my art. The book itself will be much bigger in size and page count than Quirky.

So I'm asking for a minimum of $1,200 all of which will be going into the cost of the print run of this new collection. Depending on how much you pledge you will receive rewards and items in many different combinations, all of which are fully explained on the Kickstarter site.

I'm going to include a lot of the art I couldn't fit into Quirky and as much of the new material I can. I'm planning to have the book made and produced a month before San Diego Comic Con. I will be shipping out copies to backers before the convention so the awesome people that help fund this project will be the first to get their hands on this book.

I hope you guys will be interested in helping me out.

Please go to the Kickstarter page for more info and to also see a video I made of me being silly and pitching the project. It's funny just how easy it is to use iMovie to make an embarrassing video of yourself flailing around.

Even if you can't pledge it would really help me out if you guys could share the link, retweet and facebook it or something. That would be super awesome. I'm really looking forward to getting this book made. Thanks!

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

I do enjoy your sense of humor and oddness. I hope your kickstarter takes off!

Kickstarter is *awesome* btw and at least in old school gaming circles is a really hot thing right now. Notable kickstarter successes that come to mind for me are the Double Fine Adventure project, Wasteland 2 (omgomgomgomg), and Order of the Stick's book printing.

Good luck Diana!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake

DianaSprinkle

Narfcake wrote:Backed.

Wooo, thanks Narf! It looks like I'm already getting close to my goal, which means hopefully I can add some more pages to the page count. =D

bluetuba wrote:I do enjoy your sense of humor and oddness. I hope your kickstarter takes off!

Kickstarter is *awesome* btw and at least in old school gaming circles is a really hot thing right now. Notable kickstarter successes that come to mind for me are the Double Fine Adventure project, Wasteland 2 (omgomgomgomg), and Order of the Stick's book printing.

I was watching the Double Fine one and that one went crazy. I know a lot of comic people as well that have been trying Kickstarter with pretty good success. It's awesome to see people excited about projects that normally have a hard time being made.

lonelypond

quality posts: 451 Private Messages lonelypond

Tweeted it out into the universe. Art/comics seem to do fairly well on Kickstarter; I think the reward structure suits that medium. Watching the Diesel Sweeties Kickstarter rocket was entertaining.

geegee63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geegee63

I believe you are the artist which made my favorite shirt design ever (and one that I sadly do not own yet-I keep checking the weekly specials and trade posts for it though) "Super Effective" so you will have my support on this.

It looks like you've reached your goal as well so congratulations.

Is the other book available still? Sorry I'm at work so I haven't checked the other links yet but I will if I have time.

Edit: Okay I've donated. This looks like it's going to be amazing. Good luck

panpear

quality posts: 3 Private Messages panpear

I've backed it too! I'm very excited. Also, I may have a kickstarter addiction. XD

bluetuba

Yay! Funded in just a couple days! Congrats Diana.

Have you specified where additional funds over the goal are going to go? More printings? More art included? Stuff like that?

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Backed, tweeted, et-cetera et-cetera!

Looking forward to getting a signed book now you've hit your funding goal. Woo! Now let's get it to $3,000,000. People power! :-p

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Grats on reaching your funding goal!

I'm just hanging out, really.

rogue8402

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rogue8402
geegee63 wrote:I believe you are the artist which made my favorite shirt design ever (and one that I sadly do not own yet-I keep checking the weekly specials and trade posts for it though) "Super Effective" so you will have my support on this.

There are some available at teetrade

DianaSprinkle

bluetuba wrote:Yay! Funded in just a couple days! Congrats Diana.

Have you specified where additional funds over the goal are going to go? More printings? More art included? Stuff like that?

Oh man I'm still thinking about that stuff. So far my plan is to up the page count to 120 pages and maybe boost the print run... I just have to see how much more all of that will cost. The cost to backers will remain the same low price either way.

For now I've added in an exclusive wallpaper that will go to everyone that backs the project, even if it's just a dollar. Thanks so much everybody!

geegee63

rogue8402
Thank you! I keep checking that site and the trade threads here but have yet to see my size. If only I had found this site a couple months sooner. Oh well I'll keep checking.

DianaSprinkle
I was excited to see I get stickers so maybe more stickers would be a good addition if its cheap enough (if you can't include extra pages of course). I do journals each year and love to include stickers in them.

newnie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages newnie
DianaSprinkle wrote:Oh man I'm still thinking about that stuff. So far my plan is to up the page count to 120 pages and maybe boost the print run... I just have to see how much more all of that will cost. The cost to backers will remain the same low price either way.

For now I've added in an exclusive wallpaper that will go to everyone that backs the project, even if it's just a dollar. Thanks so much everybody!

Diana, is there a way to buy your first book as well? Or was that just a limited print?

bluetuba

DianaSprinkle wrote:Oh man I'm still thinking about that stuff. So far my plan is to up the page count to 120 pages and maybe boost the print run...

*thumbs up*

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51

congrats on the full funding Diana!

DianaSprinkle

newnie wrote:Diana, is there a way to buy your first book as well? Or was that just a limited print?

That was just a limited run... but I might have copies left over after the Kickstarter ends.

However the new book should include all the old material that's in the first book. So you won't be missing out if you pick up a copy of the new one.

-Diana

DianaSprinkle

Kickstarter update #2: 3000! Page count is now raised to 120 pages. New extras!

Escapes from taxes and work! Freedom.

WOW, I can’t believe we’ve reached 3000! This is awesome. I did some math and got a new quote from the printer and it looks like I’ll have no problem upping the page count to 120 pages! This makes me rather happy because I was afraid I’d have to leave some of the art out of book if it stayed at 96 pages.

Read the whole update! New goals and extras!

Thanks again everyone I really could not have made this book without your support. In the up coming days I will start really working on putting the book together. There will be updates on my progress as I go.

-Diana

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

Congrats Diana, that's awesome. Grow, little Caterpillar, grow!

geegee63

I hope you break the $4,000 mark as well. You deserve it. You do really great work. I check the kickstarter site every few days to see how it's going.

Anyway, congratulations! Glad you were able to add more pages in.

Edit: Oh I just read the update on the site. I hope you get to $5,500 or beyond...STICKERS YES! Haha sorry I'm being weird. Too much caffeine but I love stickers for some reason.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
geegee63 wrote:I hope you break the $4,000 mark as well. You deserve it. You do really great work. I check the kickstarter site every few days to see how it's going.

Anyway, congratulations! Glad you were able to add more pages in.

Edit: Oh I just read the update on the site. I hope you get to $5,500 or beyond...STICKERS YES! Haha sorry I'm being weird. Too much caffeine but I love stickers for some reason.

Mmm, stickers.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Narfcake

inkycatz wrote:Mmm, stickers.

Note to Diana: include a disclaimer "DO NOT EAT!" with the stickers.

bluetuba

* NOT FOR USE AS SNACKS

DianaSprinkle

LOL I wasn't think the stickers needed a warning but now that I think about it I do make a lot of my cats into food objects.

New update at Kickstarter with Blooper reel! I roll my eyes mightily and sigh and million little sighs.

Thanks so much everyone! We've zoomed past several goals! So it looks like the badges, wallpapers and random originals are all good to go! There are three more goals and then I'll have to think of some other fun stuff to throw into the mix. I think another sticker set will be one of them and maybe some more random originals to keep the packages interesting. =D

Read more at Kickstater!

geegee63

I see what you guys did there!

Now on to Kickstarter for the update...

I just watched the blooper reel. If it makes you feel better, your finished product (the original Kickstarter video) made it look effortless so you did a good job. I know it wasn't fun at the time but I hope you can look back and laugh at the bloopers now.

I couldn't believe how much more money you've had pledged as well. Yay!

DianaSprinkle

Wooo, I've shot past all the extra goals so I added some new goals, put up the free badge design, and also revealed the Mystery Prize!

Update #5 has all of this and more! Even a video. Check out the update on Kickstarter.

A free badge was one of the extra goals so now this design will be included in every 20.00 pledge level or above.

Also Stickers! I actually get to make a sticker set for the project. That's going to be a ton of fun.

Go to Kickstarter to view the new goals and see the Mystery Prize revealed. =D

I'm really happy that things seem to be going so well with this project.

DianaSprinkle

Help Me Choose a Sticker Set!

Wooo, My Art Book kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1048372333/mystery-pets-art-book/posts/216602 is still kicking along and as part of the extra goals we passed everyone who pledged 20.00 and up will also be getting a sticker set with 6 different adorable stickers based around a theme. I just need a little help from all of you fine backers out there in picking out the theme of the stickers.

If you're a backer please go to the update page and comment on which set you would like:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1048372333/mystery-pets-art-book/posts/216602

If you aren't a backer I would totally like your input as well. since I'm planing to have these for sale outside of Kickstarter and want to see which adorable set idea is more popular. Please comment and let me know.

Narfcake

Less than 19 hours left ... can we hit $9k?!

geegee63

I hope so. I just got done checking in and it's getting closer to $9,000 now.

Congrats!!!

Narfcake

Narfcake wrote:Less than 19 hours left ... can we hit $9k?!

The answer is yes! It's at $9003 as of this post!

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

As I am quite new to this community I didn't see this. But I've just signed and backed you!! I really like your stuff, at least what I've seen in this post! so I was easily sold and I made a purchase of the printed book :D I'm looking forward to seeing the final result! I'm glad I've seen this not too late...cause it's 7 hours left! hahaha

Best of Luck Diana :D

DianaSprinkle

wirdou wrote:As I am quite new to this community I didn't see this. But I've just signed and backed you!! I really like your stuff, at least what I've seen in this post! so I was easily sold and I made a purchase of the printed book :D I'm looking forward to seeing the final result! I'm glad I've seen this not too late...cause it's 7 hours left! hahaha

Best of Luck Diana :D

Wooo thanks so much! I'm glad you found it in time, wooo link. Now I get to add two sticker sets to the packages. Stuffs them with sooo many things!

Here's a mock up of the first sticker set and the extra badges:

Thanks so much everyone! I'm so glad this Kickstarter has been a success. There's still a few hours left until the end at 9 PM Central time.

JenDupre

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JenDupre

I just got my CC charged! Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh! BTW, is the original print "cute has a flavor" going to be included? I really was sad that it didn't make it in the derby, and really like the black, (more daffier) duck. I will probably nicely mat and frame that image on my wall, because it gives me a chuckle every time I see it.

CONGRATS for a successful kickstart! A stones throw away from 10k!