WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Hey gang! We've got a very special Derby planned this week. SO special, in fact, that we decided to give you a sneak peak so you can get a head start and put your very best efforts into your ideas!

We're partnering again this year with The Sierra Club to bring you a special Earth-tastic Derby: Open Spaces!

Show us your tributes to the wide open spaces nature and our precious national parks have to offer! Inspire everyone to get off the couch and get outside! Show us a scene from YOUR favorite nature spot! Get inspired by earth, friends.

And if that wasn't enough to inspire your best efforts, we want you to know that in addition to the usual Shirt.Woot prizes, The Sierra Club will be handing out Swag Bags to our top 3 winners AND selecting their very own favorite design for use in their own Earth Day promotions! Get designing already! And remember these rules:

• Your shirt design MUST be on Black, Creme, Kelly Green, Grass, or Navy.No exceptions.
  • No pop culture riffs. Keep it original.
  • No text.

Quality Posts

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909

Oh good, let's hope for some adult designs this week!

gricomet

quality posts: 35 Private Messages gricomet

That sounds like a really cool Derby. Should get some beautiful shirts.

computermd82

quality posts: 31 Private Messages computermd82

This is awesome, great collaboration Woot!

If I had any artistic ability I'd draw something related to my favorite bike trail, perhaps opening into a clearing since we're talking open spaces. Perhaps there's another cyclist out there thinking similarly

This looks like it'll be great, good luck!

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian

Awesome! I love a little extra time! Are there any specific rules we need to keep in mind when designing?

collinvh

quality posts: 63 Private Messages collinvh
gricomet wrote:That sounds like a really cool Derby. Should get some beautiful shirts.

My thoughts exactly. Super excited to see the designs this week!

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

Very, very cool. Now to get the Audubon Society to do one.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 36 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Radscoolian wrote:Awesome! I love a little extra time! Are there any specific rules we need to keep in mind when designing?

Good question. Is text allowed?

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 7 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Yeah. IS text allowed?

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
benjaminleebates wrote:Yeah. IS text allowed?

And what of pop culture? Are we going to see lots of Tatooine National Desert designs?

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
fishbiscuit5 wrote:Good question. Is text allowed?

My bad, I had the rules loaded in the Derby announcement but not this blog post. I've updated to include the rules. Refresh the post and you should see 'em!

Krisis86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Krisis86

I think it'd be cool to see a play on the "World's Largest Rope Swing" they filmed in Moab, Utah. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B36Lr0Unp4 Utah has some sweet National Parks!

krissalus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krissalus
llandar wrote:My bad, I had the rules loaded in the Derby announcement but not this blog post. I've updated to include the rules. Refresh the post and you should see 'em!

Darn! I had a design in mind and was planning on putting it on white. Guess that's not an option now... To the tweaking station I go!

Must say, though, it's interesting to see the colors limited like that. I'm surprised that White and Baby Blue are not listed. I'd have thought those would have fit the theme fairly well.

----
Tweet.

computermd82

quality posts: 31 Private Messages computermd82
krissalus wrote:Darn! I had a design in mind and was planning on putting it on white. Guess that's not an option now... To the tweaking station I go!

Must say, though, it's interesting to see the colors limited like that. I'm surprised that White and Baby Blue are not listed. I'd have thought those would have fit the theme fairly well.

Creme shouldn't be too bad hopefully. I'm in for any color still printed on AA, after wearing the Anvil's for a week straight the wide necks are bothering me.

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

I'm saddened to see no brown- it's the most outdoorsy color in my mind.

collinvh

quality posts: 63 Private Messages collinvh
axphw1 wrote:I'm saddened to see no brown- it's the most outdoorsy color in my mind.

Please woot! Make an exception and add brown. ;)

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

collinvh wrote:Please woot! Make an exception and add brown. ;)

Yes, please? I was gonna make an earthy brown shirt.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 217 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Thanks for giving us extra time to think and plan for this. It allows for a bit more ambition. :^)

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

This is awesome! I have a design I've been slowly tinkering with, and now I got three days to get it done! Argh! Yay!

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

I'm guessing that unlike a previous derby of this nature, also in collaboration w/ the Sierra Club, there won't be an AA organic cotton shirt among the offerings. Tell me, Woot, is the Sierra Club aware of your swap to a product that is manufactured in factories with a much greater environmental impact? [cough] Bunker oil [cough]

annieflies

quality posts: 12 Private Messages annieflies
endangeredomega wrote:I'm guessing that unlike a previous derby of this nature, also in collaboration w/ the Sierra Club, there won't be an AA organic cotton shirt among the offerings. Tell me, Woot, is the Sierra Club aware of your swap to a product that is manufactured in factories with a much greater environmental impact? [cough] Bunker oil [cough]

They were too embarrassed to mention it after causing so many 'open spaces' due to out of control forest fires which resulted from their own interference via lawsuits preventing the National Forest Service from clearing the overgrowth and deadfall. ahem.

oops, pardon me, i wooted

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444
annieflies wrote:They were too embarrassed to mention it after causing so many 'open spaces' due to out of control forest fires which resulted from their own interference via lawsuits preventing the National Forest Service from clearing the overgrowth and deadfall. ahem.

Got em!

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz
blk909 wrote:Oh good, let's hope for some adult designs this week!

That would be a pleasant change. Wish TGentry was still designing; his style would be perfect for this.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 130 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Real happy to see Grass and Navy. Not sure if I can escape from taxes long enough to make something however...

Nice to have some extra time to think about stuff.

wvquizzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wvquizzer

Seneca rocks anyone?

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
zekecatz wrote:That would be a pleasant change. Wish TGentry was still designing; his style would be perfect for this.

The first Woot shirt I bought was his Giant Sequoia. I love that design!

newnie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages newnie
zekecatz wrote:That would be a pleasant change. Wish TGentry was still designing; his style would be perfect for this.

I had to go check through all his old entries after you said this. Why did he ever leave?

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

newnie wrote:I had to go check through all his old entries after you said this. Why did he ever leave?

He didn't leave, he works for woot. I don't know if that prevents him from entering the derby, but he might be too busy with important woot business now!

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

Here's what I'm working on. It's called Sleeping Beauty because the view is inspired from Sleeping Beauty in North Eastern NY and the boots are supposed to be dreaming of adventure.

Feedback?

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
axphw1 wrote:Here's what I'm working on. It's called Sleeping Beauty because the view is inspired from Sleeping Beauty in North Eastern NY and the boots are supposed to be dreaming of adventure.

Feedback?

Is that a photo on the boots?

If it is it breaks rules. And always seems to wind up sloppy looking.

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz
omarfeliciano wrote:The first Woot shirt I bought was his Giant Sequoia. I love that design!

Yes, I have that one too.

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality

Oh, cool. I feel like a genius for not noticing the giant banner, herpa derp. This should be fun!