jrpaulson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrpaulson
bomberjb wrote:Does wearing this make me invisible?

To most women, yes...

Littlefish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Littlefish

For the record, it was called "Crystal Pepsi," not "Crystal Clear Pepsi."

Also, Crystal Pepsi was not, contrary to seemingly popular belief, an '80s product. Much like bad TV programs, it lasted a single season from '92 to '93.

Crystal Pepsi had more in common with Pearl Jam and Soundgarden than Poison and Motley Crue, as it were.

bostephens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bostephens
Jackofallgames wrote:Now if woot would offer me a choice of blanks, even say with a higher price for an AA shirt, I would gladly still buy. Hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge..

Hells yeah.

jrryr8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrryr8

Crystal Pepsi had the most to do with Van Halen, since they used "Right Now" as the beverage's theme song.

DarbX1605

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DarbX1605
DarbX1605 wrote:YES. Do want.

Oh, it's Anvil. DO WANT, won't buy.

Bring back American Apparel

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

The stone wall looks like heads from Easter Island.

orthancstone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages orthancstone
jrryr8 wrote:Crystal Pepsi had the most to do with Van Halen, since they used "Right Now" as the beverage's theme song.

I think you mean Van Hagar. Don't tarnish the Diamond Dave years.

vgilpin

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vgilpin

I miss Crystal Pepsi. It was my favorite second only to JOLT. JOLT made a comeback, so why can't this?

mcthatch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mcthatch
DarbX1605 wrote:Oh, it's Anvil. DO WANT, won't buy.

Anyone else that's bought an Anvil shirt care to compare to AA? I'm interested in this shirt but Let's go fly a kite, where it's clear and bright... if Anvil fits similar to your average crappy fit T-shirt brand.

etewald

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etewald
jrryr8 wrote:Crystal Pepsi had the most to do with Van Halen, since they used "Right Now" as the beverage's theme song.

That, and it sucked almost as much as VH.

trenton21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trenton21

I think this design is stretching it a bit. I get the Zelda reference. However, Gandalf and Frodo/Bilbo Baggins was a little out there imho.

smigette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smigette

Just WOW! Last week I wouldn't have been able to tell you the video game reference, only the Lord of the Rings. But on Friday the hubby came home and asked if I had any interest in playing the original Zelda, which he promptly downloiaded for me on the Wii. He has now taken over the game, apparently I was doing it all wrong, and I already had the dang Zelda "music" stuck in my head from watching him play. I might have to buy this for him and forever brand him as a Nerdosaurus Rex in all his 8-bit glory.

deathnutz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deathnutz

Um... did the wizard just propose?

-Chris

btraughber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btraughber

I couldn't buy this shirt fast enough!

[--1p`bil

quality posts: 2 Private Messages [--1p`bil

the thing that bothers me is he has 0 keys yet he has got A bound to a key.

olleewood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages olleewood

I've been put on a shirt buying freeze by the Hubby. Stop doing this to me Woot!

And it's from my town, Springfield! :D

Jackofallgames

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jackofallgames
mcthatch wrote:Anyone else that's bought an Anvil shirt care to compare to AA? I'm interested in this shirt but Let's go fly a kite, where it's clear and bright... if Anvil fits similar to your average crappy fit T-shirt brand.

Anvil shirts feel pretty decent but here's my experience with the one black shirt that I've bought..

I'm almost 40 and well into the middle-age spread. I only say this to establish how well AA shirts wear and shrink. While my frame is 1X, my belly has sadly gone the way of 2x.

When I order an AA t-shirt, I order in 2x and, after a wash, it shrinks almost perfectly. It doesn't look like I'm wearing a tent up top, yet it still has room around my gut so I don't look like a balloon ready to pop. Best part is, it doesn't look like I tried to shrink it down.

My Anvil shirt, on the other hand, in 2x is awkward. The neck hole is noticeably larger. To the point that it DOES look like you're trying to shrink down a much larger shirt. It is also much shorter in length, so I'm afraid if I adjusted my future orders down to 1x to fit better, then the bottom hem would rise up over my belt line if I raised my arms.

This is just my experience over one shirt and in only one color. AA shirts did vary in wear with their colors (brighter shirts tended to shrink way more for some reason) so maybe other colors would fit better (or worse)?

Player of all. Master of none.

newnie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages newnie
mcthatch wrote:Anyone else that's bought an Anvil shirt care to compare to AA? I'm interested in this shirt but Let's go fly a kite, where it's clear and bright... if Anvil fits similar to your average crappy fit T-shirt brand.

Well, I'm female, so my answers are going to be skewed / useless if you aren't also -but here we go.

In AA, I'm a WM. I've got pretty big chest for my body size, so I always have some slight tightness through there. I'm really short waisted so the length was actually longer than I would have liked - though I believe I'm pretty unique on that front.

So, in the new Anvil blanks I'm a WS. I did feel like there was more room in the chest which I guess is good for me, but it would suck if I had more normal-ranged sized boobs. The length I thought was quite a bit shorter - probably my ideal length (again, for most people it seemed like they thought AA was on the cusp of being too short, so this was very bad for a lot of people) - but it also flairs out a lot in the hips. Great I guess if you have big love handles, but utter ridiculously looking if you don't. So generally so far my review has been pretty good right? I *should* like the new blanks. But I don't - at all. For whatever reason, I feel like the room they give you in the armpits area is smaller or something, because my armpits are irritated after trying to wear it even for a short time. Then again, it could have something to do with the LOW QUALITY of the shirt fabric - it's equivalent to the scratchiness of free t-shirts.

Oh, woot also sent me K12 size Anvils for the Nyan's Dream and The Artist - and I had the same issue - I felt it was unwearable due to the discomfort in the armpits because of the scratchy fabric.

You'll be able to tell when you open the bag that it's not the same ol' wonderfully soft material you used to get.

mcthatch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mcthatch
newnie wrote:Well, I'm female, so my answers are going to be skewed / useless if you aren't also -but here we go.

In AA, I'm a WM. I've got pretty big chest for my body size, so I always have some slight tightness through there. I'm really short waisted so the length was actually longer than I would have liked - though I believe I'm pretty unique on that front.

So, in the new Anvil blanks I'm a WS. I did feel like there was more room in the chest which I guess is good for me, but it would suck if I had more normal-ranged sized boobs. The length I thought was quite a bit shorter - probably my ideal length (again, for most people it seemed like they thought AA was on the cusp of being too short, so this was very bad for a lot of people) - but it also flairs out a lot in the hips. Great I guess if you have big love handles, but utter ridiculously looking if you don't. So generally so far my review has been pretty good right? I *should* like the new blanks. But I don't - at all. For whatever reason, I feel like the room they give you in the armpits area is smaller or something, because my armpits are irritated after trying to wear it even for a short time. Then again, it could have something to do with the LOW QUALITY of the shirt fabric - it's equivalent to the scratchiness of free t-shirts.

Oh, woot also sent me K12 size Anvils for the Nyan's Dream and The Artist - and I had the same issue - I felt it was unwearable due to the discomfort in the armpits because of the scratchy fabric.

You'll be able to tell when you open the bag that it's not the same ol' wonderfully soft material you used to get.

appreciate everyone's replies so far. definitely sounds like this is not what I'm looking for in a t-shirt. Maybe I'll order a random one for 6.66 just to see and that way I'm wasting less money if it sucks.

olleewood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages olleewood

Awww. I thought the Men's were staying AA.

I was a WML in AA and the MS was good for me after they switched to Anvil. No good. I guess no more Woot! shirts for me.

I did get a couple Anvil shirts (WML) and while they are soft, the fit is terrible for me, I'm a really skinny, 5'8 chick. The anvil shirts are just too short and wide.

And there I was trying to circumvent my hubby's buying freeze!

wafflesmcgee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wafflesmcgee

I still have the SNES LOTR game from back in the day lol...I have to admit, I thought this was just a screen from that game at first. Then I remembered how terrible the LOTR game was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMDBQ_HlM2k

hamlet422

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hamlet422

Maybe I'm being dense, but I'm having problems isolating the allusion. Is this a Hobbit shirt, or a LOTR shirt? The map is clearly of the Hobbit, showing a mountain range, a large isolated mountain ("lonely," if you will), and a dragon. And yes, the Hobbit has a wizard, a hobbit, a sword, a mail shirt (mithril as of 1966), and One Ring. But the implication is that the hobbit here pictured is being given these items at the same time, by the wizard. And although Frodo didn't acquire all three at once, the wizard was the middleman for the ring at least, and the other two still came near the beginning of his journey.

panthiest

quality posts: 17 Private Messages panthiest

Why are the bombs gone?!

How am I supposed to get anywhere with mushrooms?

On the plus side I suppose it will cut down on the door repair charge.

MrsBeny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrsBeny

Not sure why, but this popped into my head immediately...

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42

You know... there WERE 8-bit LOTR games back in the days. Melborne and Interplay both made some if I remember right.

and I remember playing both of these:

Here is a video of LOTR War in Middle Earth (the old one)

Too bad there wasn't a zelda like game on the NES, there was a LOTR game on the SNES though.

fjordless

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fjordless

Needs a soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Ov14TZ09Y

KidKobun

quality posts: 7 Private Messages KidKobun

Not to thread crap or anything, but wouldn't it be dangerous to take the ring? And why is there mushroom...and he has key in the A slot, but it says he doesn't have any keys...what? And why not have a Sauron icon on the mini-map? I don't know...seems a little effortless IMO.

shahea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shahea

I love it! I wish the design was printed a little lowe on the actual shirt, though. It looks a little odd right up on the collar like that. Still, such a fun design! I'm buying one..

ETA: Awww, it's Anvil? Those don't fit me as well. Uncomfy in the underarm area. They're really sticking with Anvil, huh?

musicchan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages musicchan
RobinBobcat wrote:Of course, given a few tweaks, this could easily be a Hobbit shirt, as well. After all, Bilbo was the one who found all three of those items..

Though it occurs to me that Bilbo was the one who gave Frodo the mithril shirt and Sting, not Gandalf...

I'm pretty sure this IS a Hobbit reference, not a LOTR one. The map has the dragon and the Lonely Mountain on it and there was never a key involved in LOTR. The write-up was all LOTR but the shirt seems all Hobbit to me.

Confusticate and Bebother those dwarves!

musicchan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages musicchan
hamlet422 wrote:Maybe I'm being dense, but I'm having problems isolating the allusion. Is this a Hobbit shirt, or a LOTR shirt? The map is clearly of the Hobbit, showing a mountain range, a large isolated mountain ("lonely," if you will), and a dragon. And yes, the Hobbit has a wizard, a hobbit, a sword, a mail shirt (mithril as of 1966), and One Ring. But the implication is that the hobbit here pictured is being given these items at the same time, by the wizard. And although Frodo didn't acquire all three at once, the wizard was the middleman for the ring at least, and the other two still came near the beginning of his journey.

I think people might be over-analyzing the situation. To me, it's definitely a Hobbit reference because they had a map and a key, plus the map in the corner shows the Lonely Mountain and the Dragon.

The fact that Bilbo got the sword, coat and ring all at separate times is ignored for the sake of the mock of the Zelda games.

Confusticate and Bebother those dwarves!

emulloon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages emulloon

Not terribly interested in today's offering, (meh LoTR fan) but I just wanted to comment to reiterate some of the things people have been saying about the AA vs Anvil shirts.

I personally loved the AA shirts. The fit, the feel, everything. Even after the $2 price increase, I was OK because I felt I was still getting great product, and even better - MADE IN THE USA.

Having recently received my first Anvil shirt, I am incredibly disappointed. The fit is no longer good for me, the material feels much rougher, and it just overall feels lower quality. I love the amazing work of our Woot! artists, but unless a shirt is ABSOLUTELYSTUPENDOUSAMAZING, I don't think I'll be able to talk myself into buying another, which makes me inexpressibly sad.

I would be WHOLEHEARTEDLY in support of some kind of way to bring AA shirts back, even as a higher cost option.

riza1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages riza1

A Lord of the Rings reference AND a Legend of Zelda reference on one shirt? I think my brain needs a reboot from all the awesomeness.

christyvaught

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christyvaught

If only this wasn't on anvil shirts. The fit of anvils are horrible.

btomell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btomell
Sinocard wrote:Honestly I would have bought this, had it just been the original screen from Zelda.

Had it just been the original screen, it would be copyright infringement. This is parody. The former is illegal, the latter isn't. I'm guessing that's why the shirt was designed this way...

amynance

quality posts: 6 Private Messages amynance

Staff

zaqnewman wrote:I had an assignment in 7th grade to write a complaint to a company in order to practice writing a formal business letter. I wrote to Pepsi asking why the had discontinued Crystal Clear Pepsi. They claimed it had not met sales expectations, a claim I still don't quite believe to this day. Ah, I still remember the nicely citrus/cola blend.

Sweet nectar of life! God I miss that stuff. And on that note, Clearly Canadian, anyone?

tp546

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tp546
CowboyDann wrote:I'm sure everyone knows this but just in case

It's a zelda screen with Lord of the ring characters replaced.

actually i didn't so thanks! i thought it was zelda but i thought they changed the fonts and stuff to avoid copyright infringement.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

This has to be one of the geekiest shirts woot has ever sold. There's like, circles within nerd-culture circles going on here. I wish I wore t-shirts...

captainsuperdawg

quality posts: 14 Private Messages captainsuperdawg
bogus wrote:This has to be one of the geekiest shirts woot has ever sold. There's like, circles within nerd-culture circles going on here. I wish I wore t-shirts...

I'm sorry, but if you don't wear t-shirts:

A) What do you wear?

B) Why are you on shirt.woot? I'm not trying to be mean or anything, just curious. It's like being a fat guy on a site for anorexics, it just doesn't make sense.

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake

Debut day: 2008, all on imported Anvil blanks.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Last wooter to woot: kellidoo
Last purchase time: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 11:58:50 PM Central Time
Order pace: 0m 43.010s
Woot wage: $3,002.74
Woots sold: 2007

Last wooter to woot: kellidoo
Last purchase time: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 11:58:50 PM Central Time
Order pace: 0m 42.989s
Woot wage: $3,753.43
Woots sold: 2008