WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

 Spring is a time to enjoy nature, and what better way to appreciate nature than with Art Nouveau, Stile Liberty, Secession, Jugendstil, or Модерн? This week we want you to get all stylistic on things and explore the philosophy of design known as Art Nouveau. It's based on harmonizing with the natural environment and takes inspiration from natural forms and structures like flowers and plants. You'll want to check out stuff like La tournée du Chat Noir avec Rodolphe Salis, Peter Behrens' house in Darmstadt, or do some digging into this list and pick a favorite. Just follow these rules:

 

  • No text.
  • No pop culture riffs.



Zenne


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zenne

dreadwood


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreadwood

Oh boy, does this even count as a theme? Seems like you could pretty much do whatever you want and get away with it (besides having text or pop culture.) All of the artists I'm looking at on that list look very different in style, so I'm having a hard time really grasping what "Art Nouveau" is.

anemality


quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality

This is definitely an interesting theme.

Though I kind of wish there wasn't a no-text rule since some of the framed, stylized lettering in Mucha's and other artists pieces are beautiful.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

whoa. could be really good.

curli76


quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

Here's another good source for information about art nouveau:

http://gds.parkland.edu/gds/!lectures/history/1890/artnouveau.html

clarinerd


quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd

Hmmmm, I really like the concept... I'm just a bit worried that everyone will see "harmonizing with the natural environment" and the derby will be nothing but swirly nature fractals.

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Whaaaaaat? No text? Lettering is a big part of Art-Nouveau...

grayehound


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grayehound

Love it! Right in my style.

Is it overly pessimistic of me to dread seeing how many bunnies in knock-offs of The Scream or The Kiss are we going to see?


ochopika


quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
dreadwood wrote:Oh boy, does this even count as a theme? Seems like you could pretty much do whatever you want and get away with it (besides having text or pop culture.) All of the artists I'm looking at on that list look very different in style, so I'm having a hard time really grasping what "Art Nouveau" is.



Art Nouveau is a pretty distinct style. It would (hopefully) be tough to shoehorn just any artwork into this theme.

As far as two-dimensional art nouveau goes, I'd describe it as flowing, curvy shapes, fairly flat colors and forms with emphasis on varied line-quality. The designs are often asymmetrical yet show well-balanced placement. Art nouveau was influenced by Japanese prints, which is where the flat colors (by "flat" I mean not a lot of variation in tone or visible brushstrokes) and the long, elegant compositions come from.

I hope that makes sense. I love art nouveau.

@grayehound: "The Scream" is an Expressionist painting, so I don't think you have to worry about that.

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Hmm, I could have saved my last derby entry for this derby theme. LOL oh woot.

Makes a very elaborate art nouveau cat image.

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

<3 !


wehealthy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wehealthy
clarinerd wrote:Hmmmm, I really like the concept... I'm just a bit worried that everyone will see "harmonizing with the natural environment" and the derby will be nothing but swirly nature fractals.



a la Victor Horta. That would be very on topic

In addition to whats above, Art Nouveau doesn't seek to replicate nature like perhaps the Victorian rather its about capturing it in organic form

ChronoSquall14


quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

No pop culture riffs? NICE. I enjoy them, but it will be nice to see art stand on its own without leaning on some favored '80s trope to win.

dreadwood


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreadwood
ochopika wrote:Art Nouveau is a pretty distinct style. It would (hopefully) be tough to shoehorn just any artwork into this theme.

As far as two-dimensional art nouveau goes, I'd describe it as flowing, curvy shapes, fairly flat colors and forms with emphasis on varied line-quality. The designs are often asymmetrical yet show well-balanced placement. Art nouveau was influenced by Japanese prints, which is where the flat colors (by "flat" I mean not a lot of variation in tone or visible brushstrokes) and the long, elegant compositions come from.

I hope that makes sense. I love art nouveau.



Thanks, that does help a lot (:

ladybugb


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladybugb
ChronoSquall14 wrote:No pop culture riffs? NICE. I enjoy them, but it will be nice to see art stand on its own without leaning on some favored '80s trope to win.



Unfortunately, unless turbunguins are suddenly counted as pop culture, I wouldn't count on "art standing on its own" until I see the entries. I've been endlessly surprised at how they get forced into some themes.

profbrendan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
anemality wrote:This is definitely an interesting theme.

Though I kind of wish there wasn't a no-text rule since some of the framed, stylized lettering in Mucha's and other artists pieces are beautiful.


omarfeliciano wrote:Whaaaaaat? No text? Lettering is a big part of Art-Nouveau...


I'll third the wish to allow (incidental) text in this derby. I'd love to see that rule amended. Come on, woot! Let's see some beautiful hand-drawn letters!

tjschaeffer


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

This is going to be tough...

benjaminleebates


quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

I LOVE these type of derbies.
BUT, the rules are never inforced strictly enough...

cfdunbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

After the great trip last week to the National Arboretum I've got some fantastic pictures to work from. Great derby, woot!

citizencoyote


quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
clarinerd wrote:Hmmmm, I really like the concept... I'm just a bit worried that everyone will see "harmonizing with the natural environment" and the derby will be nothing but swirly nature fractals.



Came here to post this, more or less. Of course, I also suspect at least a few designs will really surprise us. Whether or not they print is a different matter.

gricomet


quality posts: 35 Private Messages gricomet

This sounds like a potentially great Derby. I love the style.

bounty42


quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
benjaminleebates wrote:I LOVE these type of derbies.
BUT, the rules are never inforced strictly enough...



I rarely see a rules violation in the top 20 shirts. And let's be fair, if you're more than 300 votes from the fog, you're disqualified on votes, why take the time to disqualify on other criteria too?



Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Style derbies like this are always exciting because you know they're perfect for a few artists who'll knock it out of the park (Khallion?).

Daunting too, because you need to learn the style and then pin down an idea when you can really draw anything at all... o_o

Morseda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Morseda
Leahbh wrote:some examples (but with text & pop culture-but still awesome)
https://store.qmxonline.com/Firefly-Les-Femmes-Poster-Set_p_139.html
https://store.qmxonline.com/Firefly-Les-Femmes-Saffron-Poster_p_142.html
https://store.qmxonline.com/Firefly-Les-Hommes-Poster-Set_p_155.html



Awww those are mine (I'm Megan Lara)! I'm totally going to have to enter this.. haha.

nanalart


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nanalart
Morseda wrote:Awww those are mine (I'm Megan Lara)! I'm totally going to have to enter this.. haha.



^The rest of us are doomed if you enter :P ^____^ *lurves Megan*

Jorbex


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jorbex

Awesome theme, but really, no text? That's just wrong!

grayehound


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grayehound

Rough idea, called "A Modern Girl". Thoughts?

Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Morseda wrote:Awww those are mine (I'm Megan Lara)! I'm totally going to have to enter this.. haha.



awesome!! I haven't bought them yet but I will eventually. I've seen your stuff on other tshirt sites too, haven't i?

Too bad there's a no text rule.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
grayehound wrote:Rough idea, called "A Modern Girl". Thoughts?



I'd buy that as a print.

I'm just hanging out, really.

grayehound


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grayehound
grayehound wrote:



I was digging around and found a piece of an illustration I did that was an attempt at emulating Aubrey Beardsley (still one of my favorite artists). The original was meant to be Persephone, but I hate the rest of the drawing, so pulled this out. Anyone want to share thoughts on the worth of pushing forward with this? I feel so out-of -touch with the woot community, even though I'm on here pretty frequently.

Thanks!

3rdmaestro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3rdmaestro

I've never even heard of art nouveau before this point. It's very intriguing to say the least, but i fail to see it's connection with nature. Could I get some enlightenment?

anamya


quality posts: 1 Private Messages anamya

So no pop culture-- does that mean just "no Nyan cat" OR no Nyan cat and no movie or video game references?

I would love it if the no text thing was changed. :/ Lettering is important for this.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
3rdmaestro wrote:I've never even heard of art nouveau before this point. It's very intriguing to say the least, but i fail to see it's connection with nature. Could I get some enlightenment?



did you try reading the wikipedia article on it?

"A reaction to academic art of the 19th century, it was inspired by natural forms and structures, not only in flowers and plants but also in curved lines. Architects tried to harmonize with the natural environment. "

wootvan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
bounty42 wrote:I rarely see a rules violation in the top 20 shirts. And let's be fair, if you're more than 300 votes from the fog, you're disqualified on votes, why take the time to disqualify on other criteria too?



You answer your own comment: "Let's be fair."

anamya


quality posts: 1 Private Messages anamya

More specifically-- does it have to be original art? Or is someone going to win with Mario done up with mushrooms all around him?

tangolite132


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tangolite132

Blehh. This is gonna be tough for me. >.< I really do not have this drawing style.

"Riddle me this, riddle me that: who's afraid of the big black bat?"

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
anamya wrote:More specifically-- does it have to be original art? Or is someone going to win with Mario done up with mushrooms all around him?



that would be rejectorated due to pop culture ban.

4khaos


quality posts: 8 Private Messages 4khaos
grayehound wrote:Anyone want to share thoughts on the worth of pushing forward with this? I feel so out-of -touch with the woot community, even though I'm on here pretty frequently.


I wouldn't consider myself representative of the entire woot community (so take this as just my opinion), but in general, I just don't wear t-shirts with people on them.

So, while I think that design (and the other you posted) are pretty cool and would look great as art when it's finished, it probably wouldn't get my vote as a shirt design since I normally only vote for shirts I would wear.