Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
nathanwpyle wrote:TItle suggestions welcome!

Goodnight, Moon

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

I am still hard at work, but pretty sure I'll get it done by derby time. Since it's got a similar subject to ^^ that one, I'd better post it this morning

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

I am really enjoying the current trend of derbies. Though this one really stumped me for a long while. I researched for the better part of the afternoon/night and didn't start until after I found the NASA daily picture archive and flicked through it for a few hours. From there I took artistic license to create -

Titan's Eclipse:

I hope you all like it!

And here's a large version:

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc398/cfdunbar/Woot%20design/TitansEclipse_fullsize.jpg

cwarfield82

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwarfield82

Very nice!!! My favorite I've seen so far in this derby

cwarfield82

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwarfield82
Josephus wrote:I am still hard at work, but pretty sure I'll get it done by derby time. Since it's got a similar subject to ^^ that one, I'd better post it this morning

Very nice!!! My favorite I've seen so far in this derby. Good luck!!

allrealelements

quality posts: 1 Private Messages allrealelements

I for one am loving the move towards less pop-culture - I love video games and memes as much as the next guy, but after so many derbies when some of the older members are asking us to "explain the joke" time and time again, it gets kind of sickening.

I joined Woot because I saw my friends wearing really gorgeous designs that weren't pop culture-y or disgustingly cute (Fractal Tree, Music is Life), and I wanted stuff like that too. Hence, my excitement every time I see an artsy/no pop-culture derby.

Anyway, the designs I've seen for this derby thus far seem pretty awesome, so I have high hopes that there'll be a purchase in my near future.

lagrav

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lagrav
nathanwpyle wrote:TItle suggestions welcome!

I love this!

One thing that stands out to me though is that the window is a square and the light from it forms a circle.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
4khaos wrote:I think your background needs to be the shirt colour and not a texture. Just a heads up so you don't get rejected.

Is that penguin standing on a chunk of ice in the ocean?

The background can be any color but the thumbnail and the shirt color have to match.

And yes he is on a chunk of ice in the ocean.

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
ochopika wrote:I'm going to recycle one of my very old entries this week as well. Funny how a lot of folks here are doing that this time. It's one of my first entries that actually broke 100 votes. I'm going to completely remake it using all the great advice and new shirt-making skills I've gained over the year from all you nice folks.

Maybe have one looking up and the other looking down?

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
Josephus wrote:you lost me with that. being from the US we don't have native penguins either, but we know what they are, and aren't so stupid as to think a penguin on an iceberg is gonna be seeing the Ursa Major/minor constellation

So here is the explanation of my thinking (which could be, and probably is flawed in many ways). We all recognize penguins, but would we recognize a constellation from the southern hemisphere, like Tucana? So rather then put some random stars up there I made it something recognizable... And if you still can't swallow the fact that the penguin is looking at a northern hemisphere constellation tell yourself, or your friends, the penguin is at a zoo...

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

Do you guys think particle physics is off-topic?

Mavyn

shikausstan wrote:So here is the explanation of my thinking (which could be, and probably is flawed in many ways). We all recognize penguins, but would we recognize a constellation from the southern hemisphere, like Tucana? So rather then put some random stars up there I made it something recognizable... And if you still can't swallow the fact that the penguin is looking at a northern hemisphere constellation tell yourself, or your friends, the penguin is at a zoo...

Ok...but the thing that bothers me is that what you are showing isn't a constellation visible here, either. It's neither the little dipper:

Nor the big dipper:

So, your point on being 'recognizable' doesn't make any sense.

loridi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loridi
Mavyn wrote:Ok...but the thing that bothers me is that what you are showing isn't a constellation visible here, either. It's neither the little dipper:

[image removed]

Nor the big dipper:

[image removed]

So, your point on being 'recognizable' doesn't make any sense.

I have to admit, though I looked the shirt quite a while, my mind did not register that the stars were suppose to be the big (or small?) dipper. I could blame it on being distracted by the penguin, but I think it had more to do with it not being correctly depicted.

Still really like that penguin though...

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

I had a lot of ideas in my head. Very few of them worked out

This is what I came up with, based around the concept of gravitational lensing from General Relativity.

lens_shirt_comp by bakaprod, on Flickr

Mavyn

loridi wrote:I have to admit, though I looked the shirt quite a while, my mind did not register that the stars were suppose to be the big (or small?) dipper. I could blame it on being distracted by the penguin, but I think it had more to do with it not being correctly depicted.

Still really like that penguin though...

Maybe it isn't. That was the only thing that seemed close.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

I halftoned mine this morning. It's ready for the derby

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 217 Private Messages Spiritgreen

@Josephus, that looks really great!

Here's my supernova entry:

As Carl Sagan said, "The earth and every living thing are made of star stuff.". These equations are the formulae for the nuclear fusion of the elements that, from the death of stars, led to life on our planet.

Hello universe. :^)

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
Spiritgreen wrote:@Josephus, that looks really great!

Here's my supernova entry:

As Carl Sagan said, "The earth and every living thing are made of star stuff.". These equations are the formulae for the nuclear fusion of the elements that, from the death of stars, led to life on our planet.

Hello universe. :^)

winner, winner, chicken dinner!

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
odysseyroc wrote:I halftoned mine this morning. It's ready for the derby

That looks... delicious.

I'm liking just about everything I've seen in the thread so far, good job all and I can't wait to see the finished designs up and ready for voting!

ChaosDoctor07

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07

One question for mods: As per the no text rule outside of mathematical text...Where do symbols fall in this case? Based on precedent, I'm assuming that astrological symbols would fall under "text" (though I certainly hope not), but I just wanted to clarify for the benefit of others before it gets to be too late in the Derby to make changes.

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

atrain728

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atrain728
Mavyn wrote:Goodnight, Moon

I'd buy the concept, but the execution needs a lot of work. As someone else pointed out, the window is square and the cast light is round.

Other than that, it needs detail in a bad way. But the concept is stellar (pun intended) and I hope you do improve it!

supermegatopia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supermegatopia

Orion the Hunter, what more needs to be said?

Orion the Hunter

liveabetes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages liveabetes

hey everyone! i was surfing around the web and i happened to stumble my way to this site. the community seems really smart, nice, and creative. i noticed this derby thing. is it a contest or what? if yes, what are the rules? just wondering, since i was thinking of making something for some fun and practice. and one more thing, what do you guys mean by pop culture riffs?

4khaos

quality posts: 8 Private Messages 4khaos
liveabetes wrote:hey everyone! i was surfing around the web and i happened to stumble my way to this site. the community seems really smart, nice, and creative. i noticed this derby thing. is it a contest or what? if yes, what are the rules? just wondering, since i was thinking of making something for some fun and practice. and one more thing, what do you guys mean by pop culture riffs?

Yes, it's a weekly contest. Here's some info on what the Derby is and how it works. The basic guidelines remain the same all the time, but there are other rules (e.g. no text or no pop culture) that are changed each time. Examples of pop culture would include stuff like nyan-cats, Mario, Portal, Zelda, and TMNT.

glorinmann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glorinmann

I'm really amazed by the number of really great entries this week.
So much high quality designs, it's rare to see things change that much in the fog.

enville

quality posts: 2 Private Messages enville

I'm sort of glad I haven't bought a shirt in a while, because I can see the possibility of buying 3. But I'm a sci-geek. And I don't buy a lot of pop-culture shirts.

because I don't get them. :-(

(either by understanding or purchasing, double meaning, see)

liveabetes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages liveabetes
4khaos wrote:Yes, it's a weekly contest. Here's some info on what the Derby is and how it works. The basic guidelines remain the same all the time, but there are other rules (e.g. no text or no pop culture) that are changed each time. Examples of pop culture would include stuff like nyan-cats, Mario, Portal, Zelda, and TMNT.

thx man greatly appreciate it.

Linaeve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Linaeve

Hey everyone, so here is what I submitted for my very first derby entry. I seem to be getting very few votes, which is alright, I wasn’t expecting high numbers but I would love some feedback and constructive criticism. Is my concept lacking or my execution? I’m all ears.

Thanks folks!

Mavyn

Linaeve wrote:Hey everyone, so here is what I submitted for my very first derby entry. I seem to be getting very few votes, which is alright, I wasn’t expecting high numbers but I would love some feedback and constructive criticism. Is my concept lacking or my execution? I’m all ears.

Thanks folks!

Could be just me, but there's a kind of 'Eye of Sauron' vibe to it, and I don't really want to have a giant red eye on my chest. It's not really 'tee-shirt' ish to me, if that makes sense.

Linaeve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Linaeve
Mavyn wrote:Could be just me, but there's a kind of 'Eye of Sauron' vibe to it, and I don't really want to have a giant red eye on my chest. It's not really 'tee-shirt' ish to me, if that makes sense.

Fair enough! Thanks for the feedback!

microminiboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages microminiboy

i wish to start creating shirts for the derbies but am not sure what software i should use. i am very good with photoshop but don't know if that is sufficient. can anyone guide me towards a more formidable software/program.
thanks

midnitez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages midnitez

I must say I'm quite amused at how many of the artists have their own fan pages and whatnot to rally their friends & family to vote for their entry in these derbies, even if the entry itself isn't that great. I've seen amazing and original designs be passed up in favor of those that know more people. Sort of like a popularity contest, not an actual art contest.

As someone who actually appreciates the creativity and execution of the concepts that come from these derby categories...it's sad to see the meh designs win.

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
microminiboy wrote:i wish to start creating shirts for the derbies but am not sure what software i should use. i am very good with photoshop but don't know if that is sufficient. can anyone guide me towards a more formidable software/program.
thanks

Check this thread,
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4354952&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=66

Also click on Artist resources tab above for more useful threads.

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
midnitez wrote:As someone who actually appreciates the creativity and execution of the concepts that come from these derby categories...it's sad to see the meh designs win.

I only get sad when I see a Derby Shirt place lower than a Daily Shirt at the end of a week of reckoning. The Derby is a lot about art, but ultimately it's a sales contest. Notice the vote button is "I'd want one" not "this looks best." If a fan page that generates Votes also turns Votes into Sales, then it's working, but if it's generating votes, but no sales, then it's interfering with the process.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."