WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

You like board games? We LOVE board games! We play all kinds of stuff, from Power Grid to Ad Astra to Settlers of Catan to Zombie Dice to Munchkin and everything in between. So this week we want you to get all board gamey. Show us your best ideas for board games, people playing board games (and, since you're gonna do it anyway, animals playing board games), or perfectly depict your ultimate game night, complete with snacks and last minute winning dice roll. Go nuts! Within these rules:

No Mario/Zelda/Star Wars. Definitely don't use any current, copyrighted board game imagery.
No text only designs.

Narfcake

quality posts: 272 Private Messages Narfcake

Please tell me there will be more Walmazan/Kevlar51 collabs ...

cdrewlow

quality posts: 7 Private Messages cdrewlow
Narfcake wrote:Please tell me there will be more Walmazan/Kevlar51 collabs ...

This. I'm already excited to see what they come with.

orabbit

quality posts: 28 Private Messages orabbit

Does no text include spots or numbers on dice?

kevlar51

quality posts: 42 Private Messages kevlar51

oooooooooooh!!!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 7 Private Messages cdrewlow
orabbit wrote:Does no text include spots or numbers on dice?

You can use text, your design just can't be only text.

orabbit

quality posts: 28 Private Messages orabbit
cdrewlow wrote:You can use text, your design just can't be only text.

Oh, the guidelines have been changed in the last 5 min. It originally said no pop culture and no text.

kevlar51

Hi Mods,

Could I get some clarification on "Definitely don't use any current, copyrighted board game imagery."

Does that mean nothing specific, i.e. don't show a Monopoly board with Boardwalk, etc? Or does it mean don't do anything with Monopoly at all?

For an example, would my previous collabs with walmazan--Do Not Pass Go and In The Library With The Wrench been OK with this rule in place, or would they have been rejected in this derby?

Thanks!!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

In b4 the "Game of Thrones" onslaught.

move along

rasabi

quality posts: 22 Private Messages rasabi
j5 wrote:In b4 the "Game of Thrones" onslaught.

Haha. They just rejected this like tuesday...

I'm tinkering with it and will sub anyway though :P. Was going to add a base with icicles and fire...

Do people get the symbols on the chairs?

PS title is Game of Fancy Chairs

kevlar51

rasabi wrote:Haha. They just rejected this like tuesday...

I'm tinkering with it and will sub anyway though :P. Was going to add a base with icicles and fire...

Nice--and the symbols are good "extras" for those who have read the books, as they don't emphasize the house crests as much on the show.

Maybe make the Iron Throne entirely gray though? Just a thought.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
rasabi wrote: They just rejected this like tuesday...

Perhaps just having thrones, not necessarily getting super specific with the details/symbols, would be a way around another rejection? I figure it's one thing to have a collection of thrones, another if they are explicitly tied to the series. Just an idea on that.

Naolito

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito

Uhm... Would the ouija be considered a board game?

rasabi

quality posts: 22 Private Messages rasabi
aerc712 wrote:Perhaps just having thrones, not necessarily getting super specific with the details/symbols, would be a way around another rejection? I figure it's one thing to have a collection of thrones, another if they are explicitly tied to the series. Just an idea on that.

I actually subbed two versions, one without any symbols. Travis didn't mention anything about copyright concerns, and I made sure they weren't symbols used in the show or anything... not that this is a guarantee they won't axe it of course, but I'm not too worried about the symbols themselves.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
kevlar51 wrote:Hi Mods,

Could I get some clarification on "Definitely don't use any current, copyrighted board game imagery."

Does that mean nothing specific, i.e. don't show a Monopoly board with Boardwalk, etc? Or does it mean don't do anything with Monopoly at all?

For an example, would my previous collabs with walmazan--Do Not Pass Go and In The Library With The Wrench been OK with this rule in place, or would they have been rejected in this derby?

Thanks!!

I would like some clarification on this too! Does that mean don't just rip off their box art, or don't even parody with the stuff?

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

I'm thinking of subbing these 2 designs. What do you think?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
midgerock wrote:I'm thinking of subbing these 2 designs. What do you think?

JMO, but that's not really a board game. Probably me being pedantic, though

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

kairanie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kairanie

I love both of them! I would definitely buy the first one if it printed.

midgerock

Mavyn wrote:JMO, but that's not really a board game. Probably me being pedantic, though

I know many may not consider D&D a board game but there are many board games which use to 20 sided die.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

3 Person Chess? Here you go, just take my money.

In all seriousness (I do love the shirt and the idea), the one thing I'd beware of is that fact that I believe "Bazinga" is trademarked/copyrighted/whatevs. Just a word of caution that might get you rejectionated. Otherwise I love it.

midgerock

tjschaeffer wrote:3 Person Chess? Here you go, just take my money.

In all seriousness (I do love the shirt and the idea), the one thing I'd beware of is that fact that I believe "Bazinga" is trademarked/copyrighted/whatevs. Just a word of caution that might get you rejectionated. Otherwise I love it.

possibly but I want to point out this currently #1 in the reckoning.
I hope both designs get an opportunity.

spkidwell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spkidwell
midgerock wrote:possibly but I want to point out this currently #1 in the reckoning.

I thought it said by Bazin"gal", since it's by Midgerock. I assume you could get away with that.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
midgerock wrote:possibly but I want to point out this currently #1 in the reckoning.

Yeah, I was going to make a comment regarding The Formula for Success, but couldn't put it into words. I think that shirt manages to skip past the trademark issue by displaying the word as more than just that combination of letters. It's kind of similar to the way that you can manipulate a trademarked logo and be okay, but not use the logo as is.

Just my .02. Like I said, I love the design and will totally vote for it either way

midgerock

tjschaeffer wrote:Yeah, I was going to make a comment regarding The Formula for Success, but couldn't put it into words. I think that shirt manages to skip past the trademark issue by displaying the word as more than just that combination of letters. It's kind of similar to the way that you can manipulate a trademarked logo and be okay, but not use the logo as is.

Just my .02. Like I said, I love the design and will totally vote for it either way

to be safe, I gonna remove it. Thanks for the heads up.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Man that 3 chess players design is just great! You have my vote for sure hahahah

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
midgerock wrote:to be safe, I gonna remove it. Thanks for the heads up.

If you make it "By:Zinga!" It will phonetically get the message across without encroaching.

move along

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

Title suggestions welcome - work in progress...

kalira

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kalira
j5 wrote:If you make it "By:Zinga!" It will phonetically get the message across without encroaching.

I had wondered that myself, but it might possibly bring about the anger of the sleeping giant Zynga (of Farmville and several thousand other Facebook games fame), which would rain down fire and angry fan-cows and fan-sheep upon us all.

sillesix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sillesix
nathanwpyle wrote:Title suggestions welcome - work in progress...

Love it! Please do it on a bright shirt, I'm so tired of the dark shirts everyone has been doing.

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

can't decide whether to submit this or can it and start over on a new idea...

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh

the thing that bothers me about this one is that dice is plural of die. You only have 1 die, not dice.

4khaos

quality posts: 8 Private Messages 4khaos
nathanwpyle wrote:Title suggestions welcome - work in progress...

Bees playing Catan, the best board game ever? For sure, GMV!

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc

Here's one I finished a while back (for the RPG derby, but then realized that Fluxx really isn't an RPG, but just a game played at RPG conferences), based on Fluxx.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle
4khaos wrote:Bees playing Catan, the best board game ever? For sure, GMV!

Thanks so much! I meant to draw this simple visual pun a while ago, and this derby reminded me.

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
graffd02 wrote:

Use it! This is a classic game you can recognize easily, maybe play with the color and place it on a better background color.... grays or black would have more appeal.

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
lyonscc wrote:Here's one I finished a while back (for the RPG derby, but then realized that Fluxx really isn't an RPG, but just a game played at RPG conferences), based on Fluxx.

Made me laugh, than again I like fluxx and got the reference.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
graffd02 wrote:

Looks a lot like another design I found on google. Type in "usual suspects clue" and look at the first two options...

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
shikausstan wrote:Looks a lot like another design I found on google. Type in "usual suspects clue" and look at the first two options...

thanks for the heads up... looks like it's back to the drawing board...

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Settlers fans - any suggestions/help with how to phrase this? Thanks!
(hopefully the sheep surplus - and occasional drought - isn't something that just happens in the games I play!)

Vote!

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
jasneko wrote:Settlers fans - any suggestions/help with how to phrase this? Thanks!
(hopefully the sheep surplus - and occasional drought - isn't something that just happens in the games I play!)

Realize that the "wood for sheep" joke is a sexual riff that the mods will likely reject, since I doubt Woot wants to sell a shirt with a sheep-sex joke on it...