walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan

Yay! Congrats Collin! I so glad it print!

skopi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skopi

Why isn't this a dark colored shirt? I have a nephew this would be perfect for if it was black. Drat.

viviankb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages viviankb
trekmiss wrote:Anyone else notice the buried yellow box that mentioned the size chart is gone? Does this mean the switch to Anvil is complete and all future designs will be printed on inferior blanks?

Well, no, because women's shirts are on AA.

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Great flame effects! Congrats!

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

Haha! Congrats, friend.

indobray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages indobray

As a mother of a child who has struggled with depression since she was eight years old, I think this shirt is horrible. Not everyone will "get" this shirt, and the shirt could send the wrong message to a person struggling with depression. I'm disgusted with Woot for printing this one.

bsg75

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bsg75

Hm this shirt recalls "All Paths End The Same" of 9/10/2009. I prefer that design.

lisabethjo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lisabethjo
pinothyj wrote:Well then, it show just how little you folks know about Milton Bradley own (yep, straight from the man himself in 1860) 'Checkered Game of Life'.

The original GoL has such squares as crime, poverty, disgrace, ruin, prison, and, my favourite, suicide!

http://is.gd/YiOXTt

I think you folks are a century and a half late with the Game of Death :P…

That is so cool and disturbing. But cool. I would like a shirt with that game board printed on the back.

sarahat

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sarahat
zekecatz wrote:Shouldn't "two six-sided di" be die?

If there's two of them, they're "dice" anyway...

zyxomma100

quality posts: 8 Private Messages zyxomma100

*sings*

Get lucky in the game of Death!

spencexxx

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spencexxx

Wootshirt... slowly sliding off of my bookmarks...

trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss
viviankb wrote:Well, no, because women's shirts are on AA.

Look at that! You're right. I only looked at the men's sizes since I wear MXL. I guess there is a glimmer of hope that I can still get a shirt here and there.

eepeep

quality posts: 5 Private Messages eepeep

Brilliant shirt. In for two.

I enjoy a little dark humor.

(...and since the art was crowd sourced and voted up by the community in the derby, please don't blame Woot for the print. We asked for it.)

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side, and binds the universe together.

mattjball

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattjball
Stexe wrote:Always hated the board game LIFE.

Me too. The Game of Real Life, on the other hand, is great.

saryon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saryon

Yet another shirt I would have bought but won't due to inferior blanks. BRING BACK THE AA BLANKS!

jayne5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayne5
ochopika wrote:Haha! Congrats, friend.

Ochopika - WIll there be anyplace to buy your shirt? Thanks.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
jayne5 wrote:Ochopika - WIll there be anyplace to buy your shirt? Thanks.

If it gets an honorable mention then it will have another chance at printing.

I am super happy that Collin's design printed (even if mine didn't) because he had to change it a few times to avoid the rejectionator and I thought he had given up hope for this design. He pushed through and kept re-submitting, though. Now it's printed. Yay for perseverance!

bigpatc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigpatc

Time to go all Kobayashi Maru and paint some more dots on those dice. Or fill them all in, either way cheating death is fun...

evilaelf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evilaelf

I love this shirt so much! But too many people have died lately that wearing it would be in bad taste grrr.

Congrats on the print!

bsirvio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsirvio

art linkletter heartily endorses this game, too.

http://bit.ly/Jsoz0z

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Anyone else put same-color pegs into your Life cars to oppose right wing conservatism?

daviddelikat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daviddelikat

seems like a job for The Game Crafter

Zeno

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Zeno

A really terrible choice for Mother's Day, considering all the people out there who have survived a mother's death. It's not a joke if you miss someone who has passed on, every day.

Narfcake

quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
Zeno wrote:A really terrible choice for Mother's Day, considering all the people out there who have survived a mother's death. It's not a joke if you miss someone who has passed on, every day.

Call it coincidence that it ended up in 3rd place... and that's all. It's no different from a fiery tree printing right after we had major wildfires here in California a few years ago.

Buy it if you like it; don't if you don't. There's always another shirt tomorrow.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
Zeno wrote:A really terrible choice for Mother's Day, considering all the people out there who have survived a mother's death. [snip]

I consider myself a survivor of my mother's life, not a survivor of her death; some mothers are abusive or harmful to their children, and motherless adults have a wide range of emotions about their late mother. Personally, the aftermath of my parents' deaths was hellish and (nearly 13 years later) I found it wonderfully ironic when this shirt posted on Mother's Day: truly, life isn't always fun after the death of a parent.

Narfcake makes the key point that it's mere coincidence that this shirt placed 3rd in the Derby, resulting in a print on Mother's Day. However, it sounds like you miss a mother today and that you wish you were able to celebrate with her. I am genuinely sorry for your loss - there's very little like losing one's mother, regardless of the quality of that relationship - and I hope that you were able to remember her today in ways that were meaningful to you.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

zedarflight

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zedarflight

Maybe if we used weighted dice... wait... no. Maybe get a six-sided dice with 7-12 on the sides. That's definitely NOT cheating.

neuropsychosocial

First day sales: 862 in a mix of AA for women and Anvil for kids and men

devyanks90

quality posts: 4 Private Messages devyanks90

Last purchase time: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 11:59:29 PM Central Time
Woots sold: 862

Day 1 stats for record keeping.

long live woottv

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Last wooter to woot: phedrespaz
Last purchase time: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 11:59:29 PM Central Time
Order pace: 1m 40.195s
Woot wage: $3,751.38
Woots sold: 862

Last wooter to woot: enginerd09
Last purchase time: Monday, May 14, 2012, 12:20:15 AM Central Time
Order pace: 1m 41.524s
Woot wage: $3,698.01
Woots sold: 863

First days sales: 862
(I survived this year's state TKD tournament. Now I have to process the results!)

indobray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages indobray
eepeep wrote:Brilliant shirt. In for two.

I enjoy a little dark humor.

(...and since the art was crowd sourced and voted up by the community in the derby, please don't blame Woot for the print. We asked for it.)

I do blame Woot for printing this because they are printing the shirt. Woot is a business and as a business, Woot is responsible. I wouldn't be surprised if this shirt ends up being the push a depressed person needed to commit suicide.

Wearing this shirt is irresponsible. You may not understand until you have personally witnessed how deeply hopeless a person suffering from depression can get. Or perhaps until you are sitting in the emergency room with your own child because they are suicidal. This shirt isn't funny, it's disgusting.

crazyladie42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazyladie42

I really want one of these shirts....PLEASE!!!!

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
indobray wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this shirt ends up being the push a depressed person needed to commit suicide.

I think the same thing every time I have to write up something with bunnies or penguins.

neuropsychosocial

llandar wrote:I think the same thing every time I have to write up something with bunnies or penguins.

That's a seriously uncool statement coming from a staff account. Several of us defended the printing of this shirt, period, as well as its printing on Mother's Day. There's no reason for an official representation of woot to dismiss Major Depressive Disorder or other serious mental health conditions by comparing them to the job of humor writing. Individuals with mental health conditions are sufficiently marginalized and the conditions sufficiently misunderstood by the public without woot putting its imprimatur on a statement trivializing suicidal ideation.

Randy, I hope that you'll delete your comment. Alternatively, if you are having thoughts about hurting yourself or committing suicide, there are resources available. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24 hours, seven days a week at 1-800-273-8255. I'm not sure which office you work out of, but there's a Dallas-based hotline at (972) 233-2233 and an outstanding community resource center in King Country, WA reachable by phone at 866-427-4747 or online chat; the chat is not available 24/7, but the hotlines are.

There are always other options. There are always resources available and they're there to help; they want you to call if you're thinking about harming or killing yourself. Sometimes just expressing your anguish to a stranger in a confidential setting can make a huge difference.

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
llandar wrote:I think the same thing every time I have to write up something with bunnies or penguins.

What neuropsychosocial said.

There are a lot of things you can say in a write-up, which employs literary point of view, that aren't appropriate to joke about in your own voice as a company representative.

Indobray, I'm sorry this shirt struck so close to home for you. I still support its printing, but I appreciate why it's painful.

(I personally wore a shirt covered in skeletons on the plane ride to go sit vigil with a dying relative. We all approach pain differently.)

loridi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loridi
indobray wrote:I do blame Woot for printing this because they are printing the shirt. Woot is a business and as a business, Woot is responsible. I wouldn't be surprised if this shirt ends up being the push a depressed person needed to commit suicide.

Wearing this shirt is irresponsible. You may not understand until you have personally witnessed how deeply hopeless a person suffering from depression can get. Or perhaps until you are sitting in the emergency room with your own child because they are suicidal. This shirt isn't funny, it's disgusting.

I am sorry that you have witnessed or experienced such pain in your life and that you see the t-shirt a certain way... but I suffer from chronic depression, it has gotten quite severe at times, and I don't think the shirt is irresponsible. I voted for it, I would have bought it if my budget, and I would have worn it.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Are you kidding me? People getting upset about the Death board game tee shirt possibly offending suicidal people? Woot posters have a tradition of ridiculous "offended party" posts and THAT is ridiculous even for that.

If somebody is so depressed that a tee shirt might push them over the edge they need to be talking about their problems someplace other than a tee shirt message board.

Llandar makes jokes, it's what he does. People need to lighten up.

And don't even start with the "You just don't understand because you haven't struggled with depression or watched a family member struggle" because I have, with both of those. Learning to laugh at yourself and others is an excellent coping strategy too, I might add. Certainly better than being overly dramatic and serious about everything.

"If I had no sense of humor, I should long ago have committed suicide." - (Mohandas K. Gandhi)

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

rockymike

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rockymike
Zeno wrote:A really terrible choice for Mother's Day, considering all the people out there who have survived a mother's death. It's not a joke if you miss someone who has passed on, every day.

My wife's mother just passed away two weeks ago, which makes this her first Mother's Day without a mother. That being said, I had never considered the connection until I saw this thread.

It is unfortunate, but I'm not offended by it (maybe if it had been a daily entry). My wife would have been a different story, but she hasn't been on the site in a few weeks – and good thing too.

Yeah, so there's that...

Fujiko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Fujiko
bluetuba wrote:And don't even start with the "You just don't understand because you haven't struggled with depression or watched a family member struggle" because I have, with both of those. Learning to laugh at yourself and others is an excellent coping strategy too, I might add.

This.

Different people look at and deal with the world in different ways. It honestly never occurred to me to be bothered by this.

I don't feel that we can blame shirt.woot for not seeing this as offensive; I have no issue with its printing. (And as mentioned, it was a shirt voted on in the derby.)

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
bluetuba wrote:Are you kidding me? People getting upset about the Death board game tee shirt possibly offending suicidal people? Woot posters have a tradition of ridiculous "offended party" posts and THAT is ridiculous even for that.

Llandar makes jokes, it's what he does. People need to lighten up.

Two separate issues.

The shirt is fine. A representative of the company being flip in response to a poster talking about suicidal depression is not fine. I hope you can see the difference.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
gement wrote:Two separate issues.

The shirt is fine. A representative of the company being flip in response to a poster talking about suicidal depression is not fine. I hope you can see the difference.

Llandar's comment was just a ridiculous reply to a ridiculous accusation. If you want to fling a rock at him and say BAD MONKEY that's fine, he's probably used to it actually. Being kinda messed up in the head might even be part of his job description.

What I don't like is people getting all "representative of the company" when he's not. He's a writer, not a customer service rep. Lots of woot employees post all over the boards in serious and very non serious ways. It's kind of company culture and I don't think they are expected to uphold any kind of strict political correctness.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."