Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

raven712

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raven712

Help I'm falling and I can't get up!

vielleicht

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vielleicht

Absolutely gorgeous. I'm so glad this won!

hookhams

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hookhams

Love the colors...well blended it appears. Reminds me of my favorite anime, or two, or three...

omnitravis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages omnitravis

I used to have those dreams....

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Sooo, if Icarus was killed because he flew too close to the sun how come this looks like it's night-time?

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

arryielle

quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle

I love how the blue feathers look like they're glowing!

My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!

lonelypond

quality posts: 435 Private Messages lonelypond
bluetuba wrote:Sooo, if Icarus was killed because he flew too close to the sun how come this looks like it's night-time?

It's a long way down ; )

On an actual comment about the shirt note, there is both grace and a sense of plummeting. Nicely done.

Puddytoes

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Puddytoes

Does that mean my face is the sun? ;)

Love, Luck and Lollipops!

bluetuba

lonelypond wrote:It's a long way down ; )

On an actual comment about the shirt note, there is both grace and a sense of plummeting. Nicely done.

I don't buy it, blue is my favorite color but I don't think this matches the myth. Icarus falling to earth should be bright and sunny, not dark and glowy.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

jabluszko

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jabluszko
bluetuba wrote:Sooo, if Icarus was killed because he flew too close to the sun how come this looks like it's night-time?

If you ever hit the ground as hard as he did, you would understand why it got dark in front of his eyes and he even saw stars.

Puddytoes

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Puddytoes
bluetuba wrote:I don't buy it, blue is my favorite color but I don't think this matches the myth. Icarus falling to earth should be bright and sunny, not dark and glowy.

I sort of buy it. I took it as a play on the title, as falling dreams are pretty freakin' scary.

TBH I had to do a double-take when I saw the derby name because I didn't see what falling dreams had to do with Greece. Then I realized it was Icarus, dreams falling apart, ha ha. Yeah. Slow, I am.

Love, Luck and Lollipops!

Reclaimer456

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reclaimer456

Exactly.

betagirl

quality posts: 6 Private Messages betagirl

WOW. I think I may have found a new favorite shirt. patrickspens never seems to fail me...I actually wore one of his shirts today to work too.

Beta

jjjooe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jjjooe
Reclaimer456 wrote:Exactly.

IMO, it's a view of the feathers in the water

Cagny

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Cagny

Well... Woot's write up - which should almost NEVER be taken literally - is about Icarus. The artist, however, isn't referencing him. You can see by just how the wings are drawn (how they're connected) is referencing something else - hence, "Falling Dreams."

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

he's falling from a high enough altitude that the sky is black, but not so high that there aren't a few gas molecules to knock his feathers around.

tigerfish313

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tigerfish313
Cagny wrote: The artist, however, isn't referencing him. You can see by just how the wings are drawn (how they're connected) is referencing something else - hence, "Falling Dreams."

The derby theme was Greece, so I definitely thought the artist was referencing Icarus... I'm afraid I don't see anything else in the wings, although I'd be more than happy to see what it is you're pointing out. Can you help me out?

justynadorsz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justynadorsz

Very pretty! Congrats!

ibobafett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibobafett

I feel like bright golden yellow colors would've made this even better. Ah well, great shirt, consider it bought.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 217 Private Messages Spiritgreen

The unconventional color scheme is what makes it for me. Fiery colors would have been quite a cliche, this has an extra level of melancholy. The wax has melted in the glare of the sun and now Icarus is falling in shadow, or maybe this is his ghost?

aletayr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aletayr
Spiritgreen wrote:The unconventional color scheme is what makes it for me. Fiery colors would have been quite a cliche, this has an extra level of melancholy. The wax has melted in the glare of the sun and now Icarus is falling in shadow, or maybe this is his ghost?

It works for me just fine. It certainly does convey the mood better than a sunny background would've, and art doesn't always have to be literal, IMO.

joeyvankuiken

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joeyvankuiken

I named my dog Icarus, so of course I had to buy this shirt.

redsugar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redsugar

"His story is always told as a cautionary tale: 'Don't play with fire or you'll get burned.' But sometimes I think maybe everyone has missed the point. Maybe the whole point of the story is that Icarus gets to touch the sun. And maybe that's worth crashing into the rocky coast of the Aegean." --Aria #1

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 217 Private Messages Spiritgreen
aletayr wrote:It works for me just fine. It certainly does convey the mood better than a sunny background would've, and art doesn't always have to be literal, IMO.

Yep, totally agree.

ParadiseDave

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ParadiseDave

Have you ever seen pictures of an actual spacewalk/EVA? Does it look like the astronauts are floating around on a bright, sunny day? It's dark in space. And when your dreams die.

Mr3dPHD

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mr3dPHD

Physicist-friendly response: There's about 92,960,000 miles of pitch black void between the sun and Earth. This shirt depicts him somewhere in there. (Ignore the fact that there is no air in space thus making wings of any sort useless. And the fact that he wouldn't actually fall back to Earth. And the fact that you can't fly with makeshift wings.)

Artist-friendly response: The artist is trying to illustrate the feeling of total defeat and failure. The further Icarus falls from the sun, the darker his world becomes. It's deep maaaaaan!

Woots: 26
Wine.Woots: 3
Kids.Woots: 4
Shirt.Woots: 1
Sellout.Woots: 1
Craps: 6

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

Sweet! More Kid Icarus shirts, please!

kthxbye

Mr3dPHD

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mr3dPHD

This shirt goes perfectly with this very much related (and awesome) song by Brave Saint Saturn:

Woots: 26
Wine.Woots: 3
Kids.Woots: 4
Shirt.Woots: 1
Sellout.Woots: 1
Craps: 6

rightturnclyde

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rightturnclyde

Icarus actually flew too close to the Rising Sun, not the sun itself. It's been the ruin of many a poor boy...quite often at night.

beaglebrains

quality posts: 4 Private Messages beaglebrains

Wow. I've always enjoyed patrickspens designs, but this one is really special.

Thanks, Mr. Artist, sir!

cptstukey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cptstukey

Be the most obscure at the next Iron Maiden Concert!
Maybe you could finally meet the Naughty Librarian there and check that off your bucket list.

ginbak

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ginbak

Love this design. But I do agree with the others and I would prefer it in bright/warm colors. I'm an Icarus fan AND I can't wear dark colors due to a shedding white dog (I can wear 'em, but I look like a lint roller after an hour).

Reprint!? Save an orange version for a Tuesday?

Brasil221

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Brasil221

Because it took him about 12 hours to fall back to Earth... Trust me, it makes sense. Because science.

ArdillaCiega

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ArdillaCiega

Where's Felix Baumgartner when you need him?

Even a blind squirrel is right twice a day.

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565

Congratulations !

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Duct tape, dude. Doesn't melt.

CzarMatt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages CzarMatt

Alas, my love for patrickspens' designs once again trumps my hatred of the new Woot shirt blanks.

bluetuba

See, I thought about the space explanation but that doesn't work either. The ancient greeks had no concept of space, their gods lived on a mountain and they thought the sun was dragged across the sky by a chariot.

You can't bring physics or science into it because of course you can't actually fly close enough to a star to have melty wax wings.

Artistic interpretation, blah blah blah :P

sahmiam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sahmiam

Reminds me of Going Away is the Bluebird from a few years ago.