Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wkmtca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wkmtca

my son will insist on getting this..

mkiisupraman18

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mkiisupraman18

If I attempted to correct you by suggesting "semiliterate" rather than "half-literate", would I still be allowed to watch Adult Swim?

wangowezz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wangowezz

Love the design, but what's with the subtle 4.20 reference?

dwimmz

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dwimmz

Sweet! Now I can celebrate the legalized Adventure Time in Washington and Colorado!

imsochady

quality posts: 24 Private Messages imsochady

Real mature! Hahah :P

dianamight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dianamight

Oh! So disappointed in the 4:20 reference! I would have absolutely bought this otherwise. Seriously disappointed.

tulsabobt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tulsabobt

Would have been in for a boatload if the 420 reference was not in there.

Wrong place for politics or drug references in a normally family-friendly place.

Princess Bubblegum would be very disappointed.

theglue99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theglue99

All I have to say is we've come a long way from the cartoons of the past...

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

I need to come here more often, I love watching all the sensitives get offended.

Anyways I love the shirt. I kinda figure this is half of Adventure Time's adult demographic anyways. I mean... it kind of has to be right?

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester
theglue99 wrote:Ok, I'll ask since no one else has yet, and hopefully I'm not the only one wondering this - what the hell is the reference here? Am I finally at that age of being "too old" to know what you youngsters are talking about these days?

It's a representation of a hat/hoodie thing that one of the main characters of the children's show "Adventure Time" wears. Here's a quick pic:

bluejester

I'm not really into the Adventure Time reference, but I totally dig the way "Adventure Clock by Jonah Block" rhymes.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

It's nice to see baby blue for a Daily print; the woot baby blue blank is a lovely color.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

casey00001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001

"4:20 was the designated time for a small group of smokers at San Rafael High School in California to meet at a specific location and light up. The number originates some time around 1971. It has since been adopted by smokers the world over as the "universal time to get high."

heysandyhey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heysandyhey

as an avid adventure time fan, shmowzow.

Aelia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Aelia
dianamight wrote:Oh! So disappointed in the 4:20 reference! I would have absolutely bought this otherwise. Seriously disappointed.

I'm actually in the same boat. It's not that I have issues with uh... stoners. But I'm not one, and wearing this would get me branded as one.

bluejester

CowboyDann wrote:I need to come here more often, I love watching all the sensitives get offended.

Anyways I love the shirt. I kinda figure this is half of Adventure Time's adult demographic anyways. I mean... it kind of has to be right?

Wait a minute, shouldn't you be creating handy-dandy explanation images and not posting goofy gifs? Back to work with you good sir!

ardubu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ardubu

Timothy Leary would be very proud!
Congrats Colorado and Washington!
I would have sworn California would have been GOBBLE GOBBLE!
Unite!

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

MannyLaMancha

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MannyLaMancha

I'd be down for two, but the 4:20 reference disappoints me. No sale. :-(

dianamight

I want this shirt to have a different time. I'm upset it does not.

dianamight

tulsabobt wrote:Would have been in for a boatload if the 420 reference was not in there.

Wrong place for politics or drug references in a normally family-friendly place.

She would!

sgaon

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sgaon

Re: the caustic write-up: I've always wondered why Adventure Time was in Cartoon Network during kid hours. It's absolutely not a kids' show. Its not adhering to Aristotelean structural standards or whatever doesn't detract from its humor or intelligence.
Also, why are enjoying media for a younger demographic and being a functional and productive adult mutually exclusive?

zeebies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zeebies

The 420 reference makes this an insta-no-buy. I've got zero problem with pot or those who smoke it, but the reference isn't even subtle (despite the fact that other people seem to think it is, for some reason). Either you get it, or you don't know what 420 is. It'd be like claiming that the Adventure Time reference here is subtle. Not to mention that this design isn't clever; it's stoner-clever. The show's integration into drug culture has become tired and terribly cliched at this point.

Appreciate the effort, but... no.

frickinawesome

quality posts: 6 Private Messages frickinawesome

Am i missing something or doesn't the clock point to 4:22 (and 37 seconds for those extremely anal folk)as being the time on the clock?!?!?!?! WHERE ARE PEOPLE GETTING 4 HONKIN 20?? ARE THEY HIGH OR SOMETHING?

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
frickinawesome wrote:Am i missing something or doesn't the clock point to 4:22 (and 37 seconds for those extremely anal folk)as being the time on the clock?!?!?!?! WHERE ARE PEOPLE GETTING 4 HONKIN 20?? ARE THEY HIGH OR SOMETHING?

I see 4:20
I must be high.

hisserbee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hisserbee
tulsabobt wrote:Would have been in for a boatload if the 420 reference was not in there.

False. Adventure Time, like Pee Wee's Playhouse or Shaggy & Scooby, is intended for stoners, and that is its primary audience (hard to prove cause stoners tend to pirate). And if you think Adventure Time is family friendly you clearly do not watch it. Some of those episodes would have given me nightmares as a kid. Yes it's on a kid's channel. So was Invader Zim (I would guess that experience is why Nickelodeon wouldn't do AT, they learned not to give a frakked up artist money and air time). Doesn't mean it's a kid's show. Look at the writer/storyboard guy for the show, Jesse Moynihan: http://jessemoynihan.com/?p=934
Read some of his comics and try to tell me he is not heavily influenced by drugs. Or mentally disturbed. It's hard to tell, they're both heavily correlated with creativity.

hisserbee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hisserbee
frickinawesome wrote:Am i missing something or doesn't the clock point to 4:22 (and 37 seconds for those extremely anal folk)as being the time on the clock?!?!?!?! WHERE ARE PEOPLE GETTING 4 HONKIN 20?? ARE THEY HIGH OR SOMETHING?

The big hand is the minute hand.

vielleicht

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vielleicht

Uh, hey guys? You're aware that woot is owned by Amazon, which is headquartered in Seattle, which is in Washington, which just legalized marijuana...right?

For those concerned that marijuana isn't "family friendly" enough - here in Washington, marijuana is exactly as family-friendly as, say...beer. And woot has printed several beer themed shirts.

tonycenteno

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tonycenteno

congrats bro!

azdarkknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages azdarkknight
hisserbee wrote:The big hand is the minute hand.

See what happens when people get high? You might want to tell them what the little hand is too

Not happy with the drug ref in this shirt - never had the need to use to be happy myself

natedogg828

quality posts: 4 Private Messages natedogg828

The reference on the shirt does not bother me, what bothers me is the double standard in that I have seen derby entries rejected for similar references. Why is it OK for a daily but not okay for a derby entry?

126 Woots to date across all sites (now Woot! says I am better than everyone else) including 7 Bags of Crap...snagged a Big ol' Crybaby (#6) to secure my black square!
Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

barlowrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barlowrl

Sometimes reading a clock is hard.

barnchick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barnchick

I can't buy this for my kid with 4:20 on it.
Lost sale.

vjeshitza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vjeshitza

I absolutely love adventure time, and I‘m no stoner. I think it is much more related to d&d games, or quests, than pot trips. I love it because it reminds me of the time I played. I don‘t like to see the reference to drugs either, but if there should be one it should have been lsd. That‘s what I think the scripwriters were on on a few episodes.

wkmtca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wkmtca
hisserbee wrote:False. Adventure Time, like Pee Wee's Playhouse or Shaggy & Scooby, is intended for stoners, and that is its primary audience (hard to prove cause stoners tend to pirate). And if you think Adventure Time is family friendly you clearly do not watch it. Some of those episodes would have given me nightmares as a kid. Yes it's on a kid's channel. So was Invader Zim (I would guess that experience is why Nickelodeon wouldn't do AT, they learned not to give a frakked up artist money and air time). Doesn't mean it's a kid's show. Look at the writer/storyboard guy for the show, Jesse Moynihan: http://jessemoynihan.com/?p=934
Read some of his comics and try to tell me he is not heavily influenced by drugs. Or mentally disturbed. It's hard to tell, they're both heavily correlated with creativity.

ok..my 12 yr old son has watched this show since it started.. he is no stoner and wasn't when he first started watching the show.. i have (in the very long time ago years) engaged in a bit of stoning sort of stuff and have never heard of 4:20.. ever. i bought this for my son prior to reading this crap... so not everyone watches the show and knows the reference or that they are suppose to be a stoner..

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Ohhhh... so THIS is this show's appeal!

Quaddawg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Quaddawg

wow.... just wow.... I didn't realize that mainstream America was still so uptight...

Drugs? It's pot you guys... do you go around "poo pooing" beer shirts? That drug is WAY WAY more harmful... but something tells me that if it were a King of the Hill shirt with Alamo beer, or The Simpsons with Duff beer, we wouldn't be seeing these ridiculous "OH NO IT'S A DRUGGIE SHIRT" comments... again, wow, just wow.

You do realize that Marijuana is legal in a couple of states recreationally, right??

Oh my god. You people need to take a chill pill, or maybe a chill doobie??

I dream of an age where everyone is not an i-d-iot.... oh wait, I'm stoned (and therefore must be a loser)

And yeah, Adventure Time is definitely a stoner show...

rwyoaont

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rwyoaont

I just bought this for my 9yo. He has no idea what 420 is. He won't get that reference but loves adventure time. One day i plan on having a real discussion with him about the herb but for now he can just enjoy adventure time. And i love spuds mackenzie as a kid.

abugg78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abugg78
wkmtca wrote:ok..my 12 yr old son has watched this show since it started.. he is no stoner and wasn't when he first started watching the show.. i have (in the very long time ago years) engaged in a bit of stoning sort of stuff and have never heard of 4:20.. ever. i bought this for my son prior to reading this crap... so not everyone watches the show and knows the reference or that they are suppose to be a stoner..

Unfortunately, many more people will get the pot reference than the Adventure Time reference. I'm always shocked when people aren't aware of the significance of 4:20 as it is a very widely understood reference, even among people who have never used. Even though he may not be aware, I probably would not let your 12 year old wear this shirt, because OTHER people WILL be aware. (And for everyone worried about people being too "sensitive," I also would not let a 12 year old wear a beer shirt).

brossow

quality posts: 4 Private Messages brossow
Quaddawg wrote:wow.... just wow.... I didn't realize that mainstream America was still so uptight...

Drugs? It's pot you guys... do you go around "poo pooing" beer shirts?

I do if they're conceivably aimed at kids. Wish they'd come back with an alternate time on this shirt -- I would have been in for three, one for each of my kids. But whether THEY understand the reference or not, I absolutely guarantee someone who saw one of them wearing the shirt would get it ... not that I'd knowingly send them out of the house wearing a shirt with an obvious drug reference.