quality posts: 4 Private Messages kwyjibo73

Chemistry and Physics nerds unite!!!

jpsnagi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jpsnagi

For the nerdy ones ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohr_model

lichme

quality posts: 2656 Private Messages lichme

This is one of the more bohring designs having to do with physics/nerdiness. Much prefer some of the older stuff from Mr. Pyle.

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

I'm quite fond of physics. But goodness gracious woot writers, such language today! :/

uncannyman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uncannyman

Boy that's a lie. And I've got a degree in physics, I should know!

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 21 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

But this shirt does.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

this shirt

does

pretty sure the nucleus moves as if it's tumbling in a dryer, as seen here:

lola4028

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lola4028

Anyone who understands this shirt surely cannot suffer from Bohr-dumb.

In for one, for my physics-chemistry nerd daughter.

arryielle

quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle
safyrejet wrote:I'm quite fond of physics. But goodness gracious woot writers, such language today! :/

Agreed! I'm sad to admit that I'm actually somewhat offended by the language in this writeup - there are so many other creative ways of saying the same things without having to resort to this crap. Woot writers - y'all are usually so awesome - what happened today?

My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!

tazfreeatlast

quality posts: 20 Private Messages tazfreeatlast
arryielle wrote:Agreed! I'm sad to admit that I'm actually somewhat offended by the language in this writeup - there are so many other creative ways of saying the same things without having to resort to this crap. Woot writers - y'all are usually so awesome - what happened today?

Agreed.

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Guaranteed to garner polite guffaws wherever worn. What a Pyle.

ruggedbronze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruggedbronze

What is the difference in the brands? This is my first time seeing a choice of brands for shirts.

Keymaster

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Keymaster

I. Love. Physics. Shirts. The fact that the great and influential Niels Bohr is on a tshirt? That rules.

That being said, it is my sworn duty as a Man of Science to point out that the model of the atom pictured here is NOT based Bohr's contributions to physics. The diagram on this shirt is typically called the "planetary model" which is based solely on Rutherford's work.

werdze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages werdze

Does anyone know the difference between the size/fit of American Apparel vs Anvil? I think from the sizing chart it says that AA is slightly longer, but are there any other differences?
Thanks, and also today's shirt is about as cool as absolute zero!

joncolsen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joncolsen

wait, didn't Neils Bohr create the Plum Pudding Model? I think these electron orbits were a bit after him.

shellsassy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shellsassy
joncolsen wrote:wait, didn't Neils Bohr create the Plum Pudding Model? I think these electron orbits were a bit after him.

The plum pudding model was created by Thomson.

danschriever

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danschriever

The color says Pantone 429C which is gray
http://www.potsdam.edu/toolbox/standards/images/pantonegray_2.jpg

The illustration looks black. Can someone at Woot please clarify?

nathanwpyle

danschriever wrote:The color says Pantone 429C which is gray
http://www.potsdam.edu/toolbox/standards/images/pantonegray_2.jpg

The illustration looks black. Can someone at Woot please clarify?

The shirt color is black (noted above the BUY button) and the two screen colors are listed as the Pantone greys - is that what you mean?

Hopefully that helps!

dawesha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawesha

I was so excited to open my Woot! email and see the shirt of the day (as I am every day.) Then the horrible disappointment. Right there in the description...the name of God taken in vain. Woot!...truly disappointed.

danschriever

dawesha wrote:I was so excited to open my Woot! email and see the shirt of the day (as I am every day.) Then the horrible disappointment. Right there in the description...the name of God taken in vain. Woot!...truly disappointed.

"goddamn" should not offend you ... it's a lower case "god" which refers to any one of 1,000 Eastern religion gods, not yours, for the love of God!

Regarding the t-shirt colors ... that clears it up ... the t-shirt is BLACK, the printing is GRAY ... can't wait for the next 7 to 10 business days to pass!

nathanwpyle

danschriever wrote:"goddamn" should not offend you ... it's a lower case "god" which refers to any one of 1,000 Eastern religion gods, not yours, for the love of God!

Regarding the t-shirt colors ... that clears it up ... the t-shirt is BLACK, the printing is GRAY ... can't wait for the next 7 to 10 business days to pass!

Glad I could help sort it out, and thanks for the nice words on the design!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 209 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Nice shirt!

I remember writing papers on this guy. Other than a bunch of circles and dots and him being Danish the details are a little fuzzy now, but hey, I got the reference. :^)

lonelypond

quality posts: 409 Private Messages lonelypond

I think the laugh out loud pun heavy on the text is the sacrificial bunt of the t-shirt world, sometimes the artist gets grief, but it does the job : )

nathanwpyle

lonelypond wrote:I think the laugh out loud pun heavy on the text is the sacrificial bunt of the t-shirt world, sometimes the artist gets grief, but it does the job : )

BASEBALL ANALOGIES are in my wheelhouse and I think you drove this one into the gap.

and thanks, Spirit!

dawesha

danschriever wrote:"goddamn" should not offend you ... it's a lower case "god" which refers to any one of 1,000 Eastern religion gods, not yours, for the love of God!

That word offends the majority of people who believe in God (or gods). Of course, you're probably assuming that I'm a Christian, and it is therefore okay to tell me that I don't have a right to my feelings, or to be offended, or to be treated with respect. I must just be too uptight, or judgemental. Sigh...just one more person who says that it's "just a word", no matter that about 72% of us are offended by it.

MNBeta03

quality posts: 5 Private Messages MNBeta03

So what is the difference between the American Apparel version and the regular one that constitutes the price difference?

TheRedHorseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheRedHorseman
shellsassy wrote:The plum pudding model was created by Thomson.

This is the Nagaoka model. About the only thing it gets right is that the electrons are not in the nucleus, and that atoms are mostly empty space.

Beyond that: it's crap.

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
dawesha wrote:no matter that about 72% of us are offended by it.

Most everyday normal religious people aren't offended by swear words they see on the internet. I would say that people who are so uptight and easily offended are in fact the minority.

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
MNBeta03 wrote:So what is the difference between the American Apparel version and the regular one that constitutes the price difference?

American Apparel shirts are higher quality and made in the USA. They fit a little differently too, alittle longer and a little tighter neckhole for men and more form fitting/less boxy for women.

dawesha

bluetuba wrote:Most everyday normal religious people aren't offended by swear words they see on the internet. I would say that people who are so uptight and easily offended are in fact the minority.

And there you have it. It is just another swear word, despite the fact that it takes in vain the name of the creator of life, the universe and everything. And, of course, by daring to be offended by it, I have shown myself to merely be too uptight. Well, what are you gonna do? "Those who hate, shall hate henceforth."

sigifreud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sigifreud

I mean no offense but I am curious in a scientific kind of way. You quoted a figure of 72%. I could accept 70%, 80%. However 72% is such an exact figure. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the source of your research and where I might find it. Thanks.

dawesha wrote:That word offends the majority of people who believe in God (or gods). Of course, you're probably assuming that I'm a Christian, and it is therefore okay to tell me that I don't have a right to my feelings, or to be offended, or to be treated with respect. I must just be too uptight, or judgemental. Sigh...just one more person who says that it's "just a word", no matter that about 72% of us are offended by it.

jamesclaflin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesclaflin
safyrejet wrote:I'm quite fond of physics. But goodness gracious woot writers, such language today! :/

Agreed! Shocking :O

dawesha

sigifreud wrote:I mean no offense but I am curious in a scientific kind of way. You quoted a figure of 72%. I could accept 70%, 80%. However 72% is such an exact figure. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the source of your research and where I might find it. Thanks.

Double checking facts is never offensive to me. (In fact, I should have done it myself, since the actual quoted figure was %73.) The info came from a Washington Times article in December of 2012.

danschriever

dawesha wrote:... it takes in vain the name of the creator of life, the universe and everything. "

I love the irony of this. Niels Bohr, like most of our great scientists, was an Atheist. I'm guessing 99.99% people scrambling to buy a "Physics Doesn't Bohr Me" t-shirt aren't offended by taking an unnamed god's name in vain. Yes, I am guessing you are Christian, am I wrong? I respect that but c'mon ... maybe the copywriter was referring to my "god" the Diet Coke god. You're only uptight if you automatically assume everything is about you and your god. And give the writer credit for using "Sh&* is fu*#@ed"

Cryosplyntr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cryosplyntr

It is known that this is not the appropriate picture for the Bohr model, right?

Its actually a Rutherford atom.

Just sayin... I can't be wearing this around my department without getting yelled at.

nathanwpyle

Thanks, Woot and all commenters!

All else aside, I must say, the designer is, for one, a science-loving Christian, much like say, Francis Collins.

I'm happy to answer in more detail at nathanwpyle@gmail.com

I love God and honestly it's pretty difficult to offend me. Thanks again to the terrific folks at Woot for this one!

kargen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kargen
danschriever wrote:...And give the writer credit for using "Sh&* is fu*#@ed"

Kind of a double standard if you are going to consider the other only a swear word. I don't know but I bet less people are upset about seeing those two words on the internet than they are the one in question. So just type them all up and be done with good manners all together. Or realize this is a diverse community and try to consider feelings of others when you can.

sigifreud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sigifreud

Thank you for answering. Of course you must realize the The Washington Times is FoxNews in print form. However, it's a pleasure to keep our conversation civil and polite. Thanks.

dawesha wrote:Double checking facts is never offensive to me. (In fact, I should have done it myself, since the actual quoted figure was %73.) The info came from a Washington Times article in December of 2012.

timbredesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timbredesign

Well this just tickles the fancy of my lil physicist heart!

BUT I CANNOT buy this until you fix the model,if you're going to be a nerd get it right >.<