| ccanni1028 wrote:|
|I wonder what would happen if you got tased while wearing a grounding strap. Would it overload the strap and shock you, or would it work and absorb the electricity?|
You obviously don't know what a grounding strap is for. Go look at the box. You use a grounding strap when working on low power, sensitive devices, such as computer motherboards, processors, ram, video cards. It is so that any static electricity built up in your body is discharged into some grounding object, usually a table or computer case, so it doesn't discharge into a delicate device, causing it to fry.
Never ever use a grounding strap when working on anything that is powered!
If you use a grounding strap and make contact with anything that is potentially hazardous, you can, and more than likely will cause more damage to yourself than if you weren't using it. A grounding strap is generally connect to your arm, most of the people I have seen using them, put them on their secondary arm (right handed put it on their left, and vice-versa). Electricity just looks for the shortest path to ground, so if you touch something with your right hand, that could possibly just give you a little tingle, that electricity now has a path, right across your vital organs, including your heart, then through your left arm and into the ground that you are strapped to.
In my experience, it is better to never use a grounding strap at all, than it is to use one. You can discharge static electricity by just touching a metal section of a computer case, or a stereo device that still has the power cord connected. These devices have the power cord's ground, so your body's static has a safe path to ground. Plus, since you aren't moving much at all, once you discharge, you aren't going to build up much more static, unless you are dumb enough to be sliding around on carpet with socks on.
So to answer your question(s): No, It wouldn't overload the grounding strap, since that isn't even feasible, grounding straps have no circuitry or fuses in them to overload, it is just a wire; Yes, it would work for what its for, but that is NOT to "absorb the electricity". You would greaten your chance of the shock being fatal by doing so, but, if you are dumb enough to try this, then it wouldn't really be that much of a loss.