Derby #30: Leap Year
+8

Leaper's Creed

Leaper's Creed
add a comment

Comments

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Leaper's Creed


One more posting of this design style, then I think I'm done with it.
-Andy



Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Leaper's Creed


Just curious as to what everyone does not like about this design? I have had some success in these derbies in the past and I have had some duds. I can usually figure out why they fail or succeed, but I'm not sure about this one.
You can be brutally honest if you would like because when an ear of corn(no offense corn designer) has 8 votes and this has 3, I am just curious because i want to get better at these derbies.
-Andy



klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Andy47240 wrote:Just curious as to what everyone does not like about this design? I have had some success in these derbies in the past and I have had some duds. I can usually figure out why they fail or succeed, but I'm not sure about this one.
You can be brutally honest if you would like because when an ear of corn has 8 votes and this has 3, I am just curious.
-Andy


Hi Andy- From my own personal perspective, the colors are a bit too bright for my personal tastes as a buyer of tshirts. (But, I tend to favor more muted colors in general as you can tell from my regular derby entries.) I love the frog the best of the design, but it is a little hard to see him given the bright colors of the background elements. Maybe slightly downplaying the background hues could give the frog more focus.

You could also use the background elements to somehow play into the action of leaping for the frog. (Similar to how DarthV8r used his/her color accents for the leaping frog.) The background shows a lot of energy and it drowns out the frog for me.

Don't know if that's helpful and I'm not a professional when it comes to tshirt design....so maybe some of the more experienced designers can also lend a helpful eye.

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
klswoot wrote:

Don't know if that's helpful and I'm not a professional when it comes to tshirt design....so maybe some of the more experienced designers can also lend a helpful eye.


Thanks KLS,

I know that a post like I posted could sound like I am bitter or annoyed, but I really just want to get better, so i appreciate your comments.
-Andy



no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Andy47240 wrote:when an ear of corn(no offense corn designer) has 8 votes and this has 3

Ouch!

Frankly, a 5 vote difference is in the noise.

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
no1 wrote:Ouch!

Frankly, a 5 vote difference is in the noise.


I pre-empted with a "No Offense" I just used you as an example because it was recently submitted.
I Love Corn!
-Andy



klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Andy47240 wrote:Thanks KLS,

I know that a post like I posted could sound like I am bitter or annoyed, but I really just want to get better, so i appreciate your comments.
-Andy


I didn't read any bitterness or annoyance ...just concern on how to improve. I posted a similar question about my new victorian-esque leap day marriage design. It didn't seem to click with the woot crowd and maybe isn't for a tshirt. But, I thought it would look nice on a tshirt.

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Andy47240 wrote:Just curious as to what everyone does not like about this design? I have had some success in these derbies in the past and I have had some duds. I can usually figure out why they fail or succeed, but I'm not sure about this one.
You can be brutally honest if you would like because when an ear of corn(no offense corn designer) has 8 votes and this has 3, I am just curious because i want to get better at these derbies.
-Andy

Anyone else have an opinion on why they don't like it?



heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Andy47240 wrote:Thanks KLS,

I know that a post like I posted could sound like I am bitter or annoyed, but I really just want to get better, so i appreciate your comments.
-Andy


You don't sound bitter or annoyed at all. From my perspective as an artist (though by no means a t-shirt designer), I would say that perhaps if it was simplified a bit and had less going on, both design and colorwise. Somehow it feels the colors are at war with one another for attention and it looks a bit manic. I don't mean this in any bad way as I really like your work and would love to buy one of your shirts someday. I do feel this looks like a party shirt.

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
heartluce wrote:You don't sound bitter or annoyed at all. From my perspective as an artist (though by no means a t-shirt designer), I would say that perhaps if it was simplified a bit and had less going on, both design and colorwise. Somehow it feels the colors are at war with one another for attention and it looks a bit manic. I don't mean this in any bad way as I really like your work and would love to buy one of your shirts someday. I do feel this looks like a party shirt.

Thanks Heartluce! I appreciate your input.
-Andy



heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Andy47240 wrote:Thanks Heartluce! I appreciate your input.
-Andy


Anytime, you're always so helpful and encouraging to everyone. I wish you the best of luck!

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: Leaper's Creed


Andy, I think your design is suffering from a plague of frogs. Take a look at how many frogs are in this derby- my rejected design had, I think, sixteen in it alone.

To get a lot of votes, for this theme, your frog is going to have to be one hell of a terrific frog. It is a good one, don't get me wrong, but the whole cartoony look just doesn't stand out from the others. I don't think that the stuff you put around it particularly adds a lot, though the halftone dots are quite good, and certainly big enough that woot can print them.

Fortunately for no1, the plague of locusts hasn't arrived yet to gobble down his corn. They are coming, though, I can sense it.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail